>the players immediately kill it because it's "creepy"
What do I do about these murderhobos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Cuw6VYP6CM
youtube.com/watch?v=hyvvhVebITk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Track PC Karma.

award them XP as per creature's Challenge Rating

Nothing, immediately killing a giant spider is the proper response whether you like it or not.

Make their actions have consequences. They kill random animals for no valid reason? Send druids after them.

But spiders are cute and harmless, user.

>obligate carnivore
>large enough to feed on a human
>doesn't retreat when potential prey becomes aggressive
Your players are smart. It was clearly starving and preparing to strike when it identified the weakest member.

I'd add >inb4 spider apologism, but already happened.

bump

If it has a web close enough to the path to be noticed by travelers then it's already been eating people. The closest thing to wrong that they've done is reducing the overall quality of adventurers by removing a fitness check.

Crying, fleeing goblin and kobold families, the young and the weak desperately dragging their few possessions and on the run after the party stomped their warriors and protectors. Worked for my party. Haven't had to do a single scene like it since in four years now.
Granted, goblins and kobolds in my world are more nuisance raiders and edge of civilization scavengers than any kind of serious ravening horde threat.

If you really wanna punish them, do something like this: and send pissed off druids/rangers/sylvan stuff after them

Yeah this. Besides, what else are they gonna do, talk to it? Fuck that, it's s giant spider. They're the mist vicious killers in the insect kingdom.

FUCK spiders. Jumping spiders are literally the only spiders that don't deserve to be destroyed. Burn all spiders and insects, down to the last fuckign larvae.
>M-Muh honey though
>M-Muh pollen though
Fuck it, we'll find something better. We have the technology

>giant spider isn’t immediately crushed by the weight of its own exoskeleton
Shit gm detected.

Have the spider reappear now and then, just sorta following them. Each time they kill it, they have the sensation of have webbing stuck on them, every time it gets thicker.

>Guy who cites the square-cube law during a RPG session
It's another episode of "Gaming With Engineers", kids

>giant spider isn’t immediately crushed by the weight of its own exoskeleton
So, in your mind, does this spider spawn in to existence, realize how improbable its existence is, and THEN crush under its own weight? It feels like you're riffing on the whale from Hitchhiker's Guide.

>it gets thicker
What have we said about your magic realm stuff, user? This needs to stop.

Even the mites scurrying on your eyebrows right now?

Oh ho so a grudge spider then? Spooky and terror inducing! For extra !!fun!! Make it rupture into a million smaller spiders that are noticeably more hostile then their giant progenitor.

A good spider is a dead spider

I don't understand the spider hate. Me and my roommates keep a few house spiders in our living room because they eat flies and mosquitoes. I'd much rather have those little guys chilling on the ceiling than annoying flying shit in my apartment which may or may not be trying to suck my blood

Spiders are really minsunderstood creatures which do us a wonderful service.

Wasps are better for that than lazy cunt spiders who leave webs at eye height and never catch anything

just to clarify I don't mean the species house spider, just a spider in our house

He's fucking right.
Spiders are dangerous beings

>giant spider
>put in same room with adventurers
>it don't talk and it's a carnivore big enough to eat people that doesn't fear the PCs
It wouldn't be far off to call this a public service by killing an incredibly dangerous animal, particularly if this fucker was anywhere near people. Sorry OP, giant spiders aren't cute or chill. The reasonable assumption is that it has or will kill people.

spiders are the niggers of the animal kingdom, day of the spray when?

In a later quest, they're told that they can ask this giant spider dude the quest giver knows for some extra help, and it turns out that where he tells you to find the spider is the place where you murdered the spider.
Also, killing a giant spider isn't murderhobo. Spiders a giant creepy carnivores, and in a game mostly about murdering monsters it's fair to expect the spider is an enemy.

Or, more accurately, gaming with insufferable autists.

Spiders don't buzz, build tacky-ass hives, or sting people.

>implying
Spiders are very hardworking, passive, and only kills those dumb enough to fall into its trap

>Kill all insects
>World becomes filled with shit and dead bodies
Good work shit head

I think beetles are underrated in the giant arthropod business. When was the last time your party went against a giant bombardier beetle? That's fucking chemical warfare.

I agree, but if I were to encounter a giant one I'd assume that it's an enemy.

Spiders are creepy and webs are annoying and unsightly. Also arachnophobia.
Amen

1. Druids attack
2. Giant Spiders make an alliance with the enemy faction specifically as revenge
3. There's now nothing to prevent an infestation of Not!Cazedors from emerging in the region
4. It was actually the pet of an otherwise friendly NPC who will now attempt to fuck them over
5. Ghost Spider haunts them for the rest of their days, silent, accusing.
6. Spidersilk market crashes, enraged merchants hire assassins to chase down PCs
7. Spiderweb was acting as a support for the otherwise unstable cavern, rocks fall

Pick and choose my man

Was it sapient? You kind of need to clarify that, otherwise they just killed a dangerous predator large enough to easily prey on people.

Just buy a fucking glue trap for fucks sake.

I live in Australia, I can afford to be picky about what spiders share my house.

Make it intelligent and capable of speech. A creature that can be reasoned with often will be.

>All these pussies who can't handle some fucking bugs

holy shit that could be nasty. Imagine running into the first time and none of the PCs have any knowledge about it...

would you explain the blasting part of their anatomy or just describe it?

>spiders
>not wasps

At least spiders clean up the other insects in your house and I'm not talking about hairy ass big nig wolf spiders or something that can kill you (which is rare but still).

Those small jumping ones are cool and don't crawl like a fucking devil and do spooky shit.

>be last week
>get out of bed
>notice some webbing above my PC
>"Eh, must be some small stuff."
>go about my day
>be at PC in the evening
>get up quickly, open door
>see ~8cm large spider run out the door from my direction
>was probably sitting on my leg for a while after hiding under my desk throughout the day

I'm fine with having appropriately sized spiders around but fuck huge-ass spiders that get too close for comfort.

How's things in Australia?

That's the thing. I'm in Germany. That was a """regular""" garage spider like the fuckers usually sitting behind the car wheels.

Fucking hell, spiders keep fortifying the position around my toilet. About once or twice a week there's new spider building a web near my damn throne, encroaching upon MY domain.

I usually kill the spider but keep the web because I like the aesthetic and it might catch other bugs.

>Locals we shocked by death of their beloved guardian spider that helped keeping predators away for 3 generations.
>Today group of infamous murderhobos, previously accused of 3 burglaries, rape, murder of 12 people, 4 arson (including Sir Camelion's Mansion), mind control, forgery, tax evasion, 68 cases of violation of public order, and adduction of Sir Camelion's daughter escaped custody yet again, seriously injuring 3 officers in process.
>Memorial service for spider guardian will be held today at sunset in the church of Mercy
>Please be cautions and escape at the first sight of adventures party. May they begone from our land by the grace of Lady Mercy.

Should've had it be a huge threat if they attack it after putting a huge emphasis on it seeing you but not really paying attention to you and it not being a threat.
Or implement more hardcore resource control rules so they don't waste them killing non-threats.

>Wasps
Nah, mate, I'm not big on surprises in my fizzy cans.
Same on both counts.
Huntsmen can stay, their bites are incapable of penetrating skin or seriously poisoning me.
Jumpers can stay, they're too cute and too small to be a threat.
Redbacks and white-tails get the chop, I am NOT getting one of those bastards in my fucking bed.

Huntsmen bite humans semi-frequently. Usually because they get into everything and we pick up whatever they are in. Their venom isn't deadly under most circumstances though.

Don't know what it is about them but they provoke some primeval fear in me, can'tstand having one in my living areas if I see it.

The giant spider's hundreds of brothers and sisters declare a vendetta on the party over the callous murder of their sibling and hunt them forever.

Random beasts attack US out of nowhere, it's about time we got the jump on Mother Nature.

Spiders don't have larvae.

Are you kidding mate? If we're talking diameter including legspan, 8cm is a solid Australian Medium.

legitimately, the first things my PCs have befriended in the entire dungeon crawl I'm running was a nest of giant spiders. They teamed up to go genocide an infestation of mushroom people. It was sort of heartwarming. Sort of.

How the hell did they manage that? Spiders particularly the giant ones tend to not be sentient.

>Spiders particularly the giant ones tend to not be sentient.
I'm running mine more in the vein of shelob. Alien and predatory, but not stupid per se.
So the players encounter the edges of the spider nest, and cast Speak with Animals to talk to the littlest spiders, who then go and get Mummy and Daddy spiders. Now both sides see that they probably can't take the other without serious casualties, so they instead decide to team up and go after the mushrooms, who were blocking the exit to the next area, and too strong for either party to take out by themselves.
These are literally the only people (?) in the underdark so far that they can go back to as friends, too. It's adorable.

When mankind inevitably comes to its senses and genocides all arachnids I hope they kill the spider sympathizers too.

They could have just started smoking

I keep a broken rollie that appeared in my pocket after a night out beside my bed, because apparently spiders hate the smell of tobacco. It's worked thus far.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Cuw6VYP6CM

> Players are able to reach it
> Possible XP and loot
> No indication that people living around respect/worship spiderbros
> A single spider, no other spiders around
> Doesn't even catch a fucked up human eating fly for demonstration of its usefulness

I'd totally try to tame it and then ride it into battle, but if my character was an average Joe, I'd simply kill it.
Also maybe players got triggered by detailed/vague description of a spider. Who the fuck knows.

Perhaps the locals keep these spiders as a pet or a guard-spider. Your medium-sized spider is not really significantly more dangerous than a pit bull, and you could harvest its silk.

Google 'dark sun kank'
There were lots of giant insects in dark sun the lank being the replacement for oxen or other powerful but slow creatures.
The young ones could do that acid spit thing too, to protect themselves

>BODY SLAM!!!!

>What do I do about these murderhobos?
Ironically, the best solution may be to take a page from old school murder hoboing, where monsters don't give you shit for experience and are just an opportunity for you to waste resources and die. It's like if you were robbing a bank in real life. Even if you're okay with gunning people down, that's not your mission. You're there to get the money and escape. If people stand in the way of your mission, maybe you shoot them, but you're not going to stop off somewhere on your way to the bank to shoot people, because that doesn't accomplish anything, and just puts you in greater danger.

So if the party attacks animals that are posing no threat, they get hurt, waste resources, and get precious little in the way of treasure or experience.

Make neutral/ nonagressive monsters overpowered and make the PCs regret fighting them

Crypt of the everflame has one, my party killed it

I don't even know what's going on here... but damn.

>Put a giant Troll in my game, just chilling in its cave when the PCs pass by.
>the players immediately kill it because it "looks dangerous"
What do I do about these murderhobos?

youtube.com/watch?v=hyvvhVebITk

You fool, it was shitposting the nearby Orc tribe
Now that you've killed it the angry Orcs will go on a rampage of destruction because the troll's posts were schadenfreude for them, and you've just removed the only alternative entertainment other than raiding

Your players are awesome.

Yeah, I've got a fair number of cellar spiders in my house (which are apparently poorly named, as I don't have a cellar and they mostly seem to congregate upstairs). They're harmless, their webs aren't even sticky, and they actually perform a service in eating nuisance bugs. The biggest annoyance about them is that they frequently stake out positions in my shower, but it's only annoying because I choose to scoop them up and throw them somewhere safer rather than just drowning them.

>put a bear in my game, just fishing in a stream when the PCs pass by
>the players immediately kill it because it's "a fucking bear jesus christ"

Hand it to them, a bear can maul a motherfucker in a few seconds if it decides that they're treading on its territory.

Johnny,
get the Morita

>Puts a dangerous monster known to kill and eat people in path of people known to kill dangerous monster
>surprised when people act in rational way

What are you gonna put an orc splattered with blood and shitting into a human skull as he's surrounded by dead humanoids next? Is he also gonna be a Gud boy dat dindu nuffin? Is the party gonging to be labeled Orc-phobic next?

IIRC, that's because insects and arachnids are much more sensitive to air contamination than humans are due to their 'blood' receiving air directly rather than being filtered through a true lung. That's why bug bombs are so effective.

Do your giant spiders have save or die poison? If no, why not? The ones in my campaign have and so far PCs try to stay clear of them...