/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
The mustache and beard makes it stronger, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-11-07 - Still getting worked on & now has 20479 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-09-16!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

amiami for new stuff and mandarake for used stuff. Japanese used figures are always an insanely good deal because the Nips are so picky about condition. Except the female PVC figures. Don't buy those.

spooder is luv

Tyco bump.

My cat used to play with the rubber green AC shots of the IIC when I would play with him.

I still got my Axman and Bushwacker with all the parts that I got new when I was a kid. Also that funky Thor missing the dude and all the shooty bits that I got at a garage sale for a dollar like twenty years ago.

Odd, but my cat wouldn't go after the Bushwhacker and Mauler's shots, only the Hunchback's. Fun times. I knew that cat wasn't clanner scum.

>that funky Thor

Was he running in and out, pulling kids out the ground?

If motorized infantry are too slow for your scenarios, you should consider not taking infantry at all. Motorized AC/10 field guns hit respectably and anything that wants to frag them will likely have to accept 2 rounds of shooting + however long it takes to kill the platoon down to 11 troops. I don’t care for most APCs because leg infantry sans field guns are extremely weak at anything other than killing other foot infantry.
If long range firepower is what you want take support vehicles like LRM carriers, pikes, partisans, etc and not all-a-rounders like tanks. Good vees have speed, long reach, or both. The Missile Pegasus is on the slow side but has enough armor to take a PPC hit on any facing and 18 SRMs will ruin enemy vehicles in a single pass even before considering what infernos can do. It’s more forgiving than it’s peer in destructiveness, the Saladin.

There's been some confusion. By "grunts" i meant npc units (vees) in general. Not specifically infantry. Field guns are a great idea though. Trading the maxims for Pegasi costs long range fire power.

>"Hey user, Xin Sheng! Are you ready to make the Confederation great again?"

What do you say?

I'm not interested in XINSHENG frippery.

Why not motorized RAC/5?

How do you guys feel about hover I
Assault infantry?

The Confederation is a patrician faction but the Chancellor doesn't stand for thots.

Am I alone in liking all of those mechs? I think they're all great designs that need more love.

Dude everyone loves the Grasshopper. So much that haters complain when they see it too often.

Is this a new one from Inker? Haven't seen it yet, it's excellent.

The real question, of course, is this: does anyone other than me like the Clint?

I do. give it a LL and more armor and it's one of the best bug stompers/ bug leaders around

I like it. I randomly rolled it my first game and stuck with it until I lost it later in the campaign. I always put one in any force I make if possible.

Yeah Clints make for great (light)Medium Troopers...even the base variety.

What snake clan is best?

Invasion era wise do they have unique mechs?

Harkening back to for a moment, the whole space feudalism on the brink of utter collapse aspect isn't really the only thing that makes battletech unique, at least not currently.

It's not as if we can point to some OTHER turn based wargame centered around giant robots. It's not as if there's somewhere else we can go, lord knows if there WERE a realistic alternative, I wouldn't be putting up with this shitshow.

What Battletech needs is a classic, gritty, barely functional timeline that the grogs can wallow in AND a sleek, shiny, modernized setting with all the limiters chiseled off. Neither desire is wrong, the grogs aren't wrong for wanting to play the game they fell in love with, and people who don't want to be stifled by pointless scarcity aren't wrong for wanting to smash mass quantities of mechs together.

We can have both, the notion that it HAS to be one or the other is retarded.

>What Battletech needs is a classic, gritty, barely functional timeline that the grogs can wallow in AND a sleek, shiny, modernized setting with all the limiters chiseled off. Neither desire is wrong, the grogs aren't wrong for wanting to play the game they fell in love with, and people who don't want to be stifled by pointless scarcity aren't wrong for wanting to smash mass quantities of mechs together.

Why not have the former happen the further out into the Periphery and distant planets, while the latter happen in the general closer Inner Sphere area?

In other news, goddamn trying to wrap my head around fitting people into landmates is a huge pain the ass.

Because that is precisely the compromise that nobody would be happy about. The grogs want it to be Mad Max in space everywhere forever since that's how it started and they don't want to be shoved out into the Deep Periphery and the revisionists (for lack of a better name) want everything to be revised to make some kind of sense now that we can into numbers.

The compromise you are suggesting does literally nothing to help the issue. is completely correct, what's needed is a second, equally valid, timeline. If you're familiar with Star Trek's universe, it's kinda like spinning off BattleTech's own Kelvinverse, something that I wouldn't be opposed to here and wasn't opposed to there.

I thought the meme is that CGL doesn't have enough competence to pull that off.

Ah, I see. You could trade Maxims for Saracens if you want cheaper hover+LRM. Alternatively, the Hunter Support Tank gets some LRMs and treads that can hide in light woods. It also isn’t nearly the eggs-in-one-basket that a carrier would be.

NANI!! Do you take me for a Davionist!?! More seriously, it’s the same reason I don’t do ultras, rotaries don’t have that poor militia feel I go for in my OpFor. A matter of taste only.

>does anyone other than me like the Clint?
Clint is a cool guy. The only canon Clint I’d pass on is the AC/10 prototype that doesn’t get jets. ( Why yes, DCMS RATs are a hell of a drug that will teach you to appreciate a 40t mech armed with twin AC/2’s)

Well, ok, there's that too, but I felt it was so obvious that it wasn't worth even discussing.

>56454509

Zamba, the product of a lefty populist gobverment. I am happy they are going to jail right now.

Wrong thread, mate. Possibly the wrong board, given your post's content.

>goddamn trying to wrap my head around fitting people into landmates

I *swear* Shirow included notes about how this works... that the big arms are slaved to the little arms where your hands fit in (although there are some models made in foreign countries outside Olympus where the operators arms are fully enclosed behind the torso plating), but that the legs have to bend at a greater degree than the operator's legs because his legs would actually be *inside* the upper part of the landmate's legs... but I've just been through both his "Illustration and Data" book and "Hypernotes", and I don't see what I'm (mis-?) remembering from all those years ago.

It's not a meme though.

They don't have infrastructure strong enough to distribute their latest free product, which is also riddled with continuity and grammatical errors. Then you've got the former LD and ALD going on the offensive on the OF.

>Then you've got the former LD and ALD going on the offensive on the OF.
Fuck, what now? Who's blowing up the OF and what's it over? We haven't had a good OF dramabomb in awhile, could be funny.

Old thread, they were talking about this pic.

Star Adders. Probably the best clan period. But they're not really involved in the invasion.

>"Landmates work through synchronization: >they "model" the movements of the operator. >The key issues are how clearly and precisely >you can feed back synchronization data >without putting excessive stress on the unit >and the operator herself. Moreover, since you >can't cover all functions with optical fibres >alone, electron flows must remain the main >nervous system transmitter. Consequently the >unifying design principle is always "smaller >and lighter." The larger the landmate and the >longer the physical nervous system becomes, >the greater the likelihood of damage, jamming, >lost data, and ultimately, the lower the >performance. Naturally, the "neurons" must be >thin, light and strong, durable in the face of >bending and friction, and with minimal >transmission loss."

>"(...) the switches on the Guges saddle are for >the operator to identify herself and open the >hatch for boarding, no other controls are >mounted externally. That's because you don't >want your hatch opening, or your slave >coupling ratios changing, or your riding modes >shifting, just because someone bumped into >you in fight. Even these few remaining external >switches can only be activated by code once >the operator is inside. Those codes are rescue >codes, to be used to get the operator out when >she is unable to activate the switches herself."

Herb's been salty as fuck lately and flat-out told some guy who was asking how he could join the writing team not to.

Kek, since they deleted his post, here it is.

Can you really blame Herb for being a salt mine? That's pretty reasonable IMO. And honestly, I wouldn't want anyone to join CGL in any capacity at all these days.

Herb has been a salty fuck ever since he let his life fall apart. He's a bitter man, and not just because of Battletech, though it plays a big hand in it.

This isn't a recent open fit either, he's been pretty openly shitting on CGL on facebook for a long time now.

Guy needs to get over it and move on with his life, instead of posting nothing but CGL hate and disdain for relationships with women all day. And the god awful vagueposting.

Oh sorry, I get how it works, what I actually mean is like, trying to understand how he places/positions a pilot inside one of them without funky proportion-stretching happening. I guess the closest example would be those times people try to figure out space marine proportions and how power armor fits around their bodies.

Ok, that sounds unfortunate. I just figured he was a salt lick over CGL being awful to him for years and years. Didn't know about the misanthropy too. Sounds like he needs to get back into gear at some point. I'm not really one to talk, but he needs to at least try man, it isn't good to waste away like that, does bad things to the soul and heart.

>Didn't know about the misanthropy too.
A bad divorce does that to a man, I hear. Nonetheless, however understandable it may be to spread the sentiment beyond the individual woman in question, it's also rather unfair.

>people who don't want to be stifled by pointless scarcity
The thing holding that "sleek, modernized setting" back is that nobody is going to put a thousand 'Mech figures down on their table and expect to actually play.

Oh, agreed. Sad to hear about Herb though. From what I understand, he was supposed to be quite a good guy at one point.

Given enough time and people willing to play with him, I bet CA would try.

Sign me up, I'll give that a shot.

help me name a lance

The Cockthirster Brigade

He's full on SJW self hating white male right now. Fuck him.

They seriously bothered to delete that? That's barely worth noticing, let alone deleting.

thanks

Can't have an echo chamber with a dissenting voice in it, user.

This is why we have megamek. I can knock out a battalion versus battalion on a saturday afternoon. More, if the player(s) are attentive.

Hey ya'll. I'mean getting back into Battletech for the first time since... 2007 dear lord. I'm aware that my precious Blood Spirits are dead and gone. Did they at least run up the Star Adder bodycount in the process?

The Brewery Defense Lance
Rezak's Raiders
235th Lyran Heavy Lance

That scale is still well within norms for the grog timeline. What user was proposing is much, much bigger than that.

I'm a bit lit to look up the proper answer for you, but it should be in the Wars of Reaving sourcebook.

I agree, if Battleforce was the mainline game and battletech the obscure skirmish version, vast scales would make better sense, but as is, not so much

What should we name /btg/'s battalion that was created from the HBS survey?

Boring, given the limited number of mechs

Billy Tranh's Gold Assault Battalion

Does anyone else find that if a favoured faction is killed it kind of ruins your commitment to the game?

Saracens sound about ideal for the strategy I want to use.
I was thinking of Goblins for forest work. They are cheap, have an infantry bay, and with the multiple versions (LRM and LL primarily) I have some options to play around with the same chassis.

Yeah, speaking as another blood spiritfag
Hell, even factions getting into a position of being fucked with no chance of things getting better is enough to do the same thing.
t. also a lie-ran and taurianfag

The problem is I tend to prefer the factions with less wankery about them, and those sorts of factions rarely survive because there's no author wanking over them.

I know exactly how you feel, because that's exactly how I feel

>One of the bridge bunnies died today.

Did they ever get any recognition in books proper or did those simply run with the Star Trek version of the trope?

The Fuckbringers

Chrome Chorus. After the Scarlet Chorus from Tyranny, an inherently base and depraved band of chaotic misfits that fight like hell. Only this time we got giant robits.

This. Even the third battle of Tikonov in the was like twelve hundred mechs plus triple that in conventional forces. This other guy is talking twenty thousand plus mechs plus massive warship fleets for the taking of a middling border world. And fuck that.

It does bring up another good point. He talks about grit, but grit is all in the smaller scale with juggling weapons, range and the machine breaking down around you. Once you move to the hp stats like Alpha Strike, you're not really playing Battletech anymore. It's too simplified and basically just a clone of other modern mini games. Which of course was on purpose, to be more palatable to the 40k/Warmahordes/etc. crowd.

F

Woo, robotics!

Well I like the Clint IIC, two medium lasers and a LB-10-X, goes long way to scare off lights and tanks and it has alot better armor compared to the IS Clint

My enthusiasm about Draconis Combine was brought low by all the BDS shit they got loaded up after 3060's. I mean they had sort of story arc going with them with Teddy K bringing them screaming and kicking into relevancy compared to FedSuns and Lyrans. And then all that development was curbstomped by writers who liked the old Dracs better and now they are back being "muh honorable samurais" that backstab each other with the drop of a hat.

You can still have backstabbing as long as that leads to Darwinian competency.

The real reason they went with the BDS bullshit is that a properly modernised DCMS would resent an actual threat to the Suns (and to a lesser extent, Bears) and that just can't be allowed to happen.

That's probably why MoC and Taurians got fucked over by Cappies as neither of those factions had any writers say no to Coleman when he was Making Capellans Great Again. And now MoC is Capellan Commonality and Taurians have gone full FWL.

>I mean they had sort of story arc going with them with Teddy K bringing them screaming and kicking into relevancy compared to FedSuns and Lyrans.

That arc was called the second half of Heir to the Dragon. And it ended in the last chapter of Heir to the Dragon. Teddy fucked it all up himself.

>You can still have backstabbing as long as that leads to Darwinian competency.
Takashi invented the backstabbing for that purpose and upended the old system. All it got was his cousin trying to kill him and his whole family plus shuffling warlords around like musical chairs every few years.

>And now MoC is Capellan Commonality
"a damn Capellan suburb with better sex and hors d'oeuvres"

>Taurians have gone full FWL.
Oh, they're far past FWL and into drac territory

Dracs at least are a single state and not busted up into three.

You just gotta love the proper villains. They never win in the long haul but they never disappear either.

Peace of Blake be with you

At least when the Coordinator has his shit together.
Otherwise, it's five states from the same mold under a Warlord each which may not fight, but still rival each other.

Is a mech lance (exact units to be determined at the moment, but most likely mediums and heavies), a mixed company of saracens and goblins, and a single squadron of Hawkmoth gunships too Sue to make a good Merc unit?

Sounds like something a humphrey would say.

That's pretty much the case with any state. Like the Davions when their Prince doesn't have his shit together, and half the time when he does. The difference there being when the Sandovals decide go on a retarded foray into the Reach, they actually win. And the authors generally ignoring the negative consequences.

Pretty random assortment of V's. Mostly Davion with some Drac. When you playing?

What five stats? I guess the not-arabs would be one, but the others?

It was. Based Humphreys are all born with that natural smugness.

Not the Azami. The Military Districts. Like Rasalhague once was, like Pesht and Dieron. The Drac's variant of internal borders.

He means Rasalhague/Benjamin/Dieron/Galedon/Pesht

Substitute Alshain/Nova Cats when needed.

Yeah, really they're more post-4sw caps than anything else, Coleman having swapped their "middle power about to hit the big time" plot characterization for the cap's "retarded government driving their busted wreck of a faction into the ground at maximum speed" thing somewhere in 1996/3060

Jihad era. I tried to pick stuff that seemed common, easy to repair, and worth the Cbills. Hawkmoths may be substituted with Warrior H7's if the budget mandates it.

Oh I see, I never cared much for the dracs (being cartoon villians without good points). Does each of those have they own culture or they are weebos like the rest?

....fuck, that fits way too well not to be intentional
They've even got the Calderon Protectorate for their own St.Ives

Everything wears a weaboo coat. The dracs actually hand out kimonos and tea sets to conquered people.

That said, they are all distinct. Rasselhague was the Dracs Skye. Bunch of Swedenese blonde blue-eyed Ikea samurai. Galedon is old Drac, maximum samurai Drac from whence all others spring. Packed with people and poor as shit. They're like weaboo orcs. Pesht is the new colony area, sparse and frontier but supported by the capital. Benjamin is the industrial heart, the 80's megacorp Drac. And Dieron is the old Terran Hegemony conquest, full of cowboy samurai.

I see,sounds dreadful really, is the FWL the only one than has cool sub cultures in it?

Exemplify who/what exactly you find cool for a better answer

The robot knee is a double swivel and the lower leg of the robot rotates on the lower axis

I dropped the game for a few years when ClickyTech came out and they revealed the FWL was dead. Seemed dumb after all the fun world building done in the 90s, plus the whole 65 year jump.

What does /btg/ think of the Vedette, Bulldog and Manticore tanks?

What would you say are their strengths and weaknesses? I want to build a little tank force and right now just have some LRM carriers and Harrassers.