/STG/ - Star Trek General

Cheap-Ass Karemma Torpedoes Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
1d4chan.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri
twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/931683992239161345
youtube.com/watch?v=IY1weV5WuUM
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Setlik_III_massacre
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for infinite torpedoes!

youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

This was at once hilarious and horrifying. Man, the Voyager writers were truly hacks of the highest order. They coulda made using torps a *big* deal but instead they just spent them like candy.

You could say the same about everything in that show. It's like the writers treated the end of every episode as a reset button.

I always wondered why it was said that photon torpedoes couldn't be replicated. They're powered by antimatter, which the ship already refills one way or another (or else you have bigger problems than running out of torpedoes) and causes explosions very easily just by breaking containment.
Perhaps the torpedo casing itself requires exotic materials, but the only apparent advantage of a photon torpedo over lower-tech guided missiles with the same antimatter warhead is being usable while at warp speed, which isn't the only circumstance where torpedoes are used.

Incidentally, STO has given themselves a total/selective reset option with their own Krenim Timeship.
The KIS Annorax sends battlegroup protag back in time to kill the Iconians. This instead results in them saving the Iconians and Sela killing one of them. All this precipitates most of the core events of STO, from the destruction of Romulus to the Vaudwaar.
And that's not to mention all the time war shit that the self same Annorax gets used in later. note how the ship isn't destroyed. if it had been, it would have self-incursioned and erased all of it's effects on the time stream.

Doesn't have the literal reset button on the side that Voyager crashed into there, only the metaphorical one.

That’s literally all of them, Minifig. Not even joking.
You know those fetishes he tries and fails to keep low-key in Wheel of Time? Well he doesn’t even bother to try in his Conan stories.

Weirdly, I actually enjoy them better then the WoT series because his fetishes are obvious and blatant and the writing makes no pretenses at being anything other then trashy fantasy fiction, as opposed to WoT’s delusions of grandeur.

I imagine the most difficult part of constructing photon torpedoes is having an antimatter containment system that small and that resilient to any disruption. Imagine if a torpedo were to suffer a containment failure while still in the armory. The whole ship would likely go up instantly.

Not only would the containment system be complicated, but the actual mixing system would be even moreso (otherwise, it would just fizzle, or not give nearly the energy you want). And that also explains the variable warhead thing - we've seen in-show that torps do everything from "bloody nose" to "total annihilation". You can keep the same matter and antimatter, just change the "richness" of the mixture for the explosion.

, Plus a matter construction system like a replicator might have issues constructing antimatter, seeing as it’s not actually “matter” at all and dramatically explodes upon contact with literally anything at all, including air.

The way I figure it, the only part of the torpedo that’s hard to manufacture is the warhead. The rest of it is easily replicateable. We also know, from the not infrequent alterations made to torpedoes that it is possible to fit a non-standard payload into a torpedo casing. So Voyager only needs to buy/salvage compatible warheads. And, seeing as they’re in Mad Max: the Quadrant, I don’t see that being too much of an issue.

I agree that it wouldn't be much of an issue but from a storytelling perspective never mentioning torpedo supply problems again is a bad move.

>constructing antimatter
Do you mean working with antimatter as a resource, or creating antimatter out of something else? Because the latter wouldn't be necessary, antimatter is already the ship's fuel so there are gallons of it available.

>Cheap-Ass Karemma Torpedoes Edition
Maybe they should offer them a refund?

I'd like to try some Trek-like spaceship gaming. Have any of these been shared?

Engage: Spaceship Combat, by Red Wyvern Games

Colonial Battlefleet, by Steel Dreadnought Games

A Call to Arms: Star Fleet, Book One, Revision Two, Deluxe Edition, by Amarillo Design Bureau

Thanks.

I have a feeling ACTA: SFB has been shared along with a lot of other SFB stuff but it kept getting taken down and there wasn't enough demand to reupload it..

What was is a Klingon "Cleave" ship exactly?

I keep hearing it's a cloaked ship made for ramming in Discovery.

A cleave ship is a breeding ground to produce more Klingons. Just like how if you're a sanctioned psyker in 40k you only cleave to the Emperor.

In battle for the Binary Stars T'kuvma proved to the Klingon houses he had cloaks by ordering a ship to decloak just as it rammed the Europa.

It’s a stupid idea and a waste of rescources. It was a massive ship, designed for ramming ships. But seeing as starships tend to lose antimatter containment when being destroyed, the ramming ship was destroyed in the resulting explosion. Praise T’Kuvma I guess.

Yeah, Unfortunately most of the links are daead. If some kindly user wanted to find us new links so we could build a new link bin, then we could certainly rebuild the OP post.

What if a cleave ship had a spinning saucer? Then it wouldn't have to ram, but just graze the enemy ship in passing!
I'm telling you, this new spinning saucer feature is a revolution! In the 24th century every ship will have one!

Meet the Enterprise-F

>I want a slice of that ship, and I want it yesterday!
>saucer begins to spin
>rams at full speed
>mushroom teleports behind them at the last moment
>schiiiiiing!
>Nothing personal, Klingons

It's been a long time since I saw Year of Hell, was the starboard nacelle literally held on with duct tape or something?

I think it's mentioned that one of the nacelles is basically useless and they're down to a max speed of warp 5 or something.

T'Kuvma be praised, we have solved the problem of using weapons. Let us now celebrate by eating some dead humans raw.

I mean this was also after a prolonged battle with the thing, the pylon could have been hit by a torpedo a minute earlier

An away team finds these lovely fellows from a long abandoned space-station which circles one of the few worlds mankind managed to travel into. They are unfrozen aboard a federation starship

How do they react ?

Begin threatening to take over the Federation with their new Chaos Copters unless the Federation is willing to part with a measly 300 energy credits.

I think at least Deirdre, Zakharov and Lal will be able to find something to do in their fields of interest without too much difficulty.
Santiago, Yang and Morgan will have the most difficulty adjusting, and will probably fuck off on their own if they don't end up in space jail for a bit.
Miriam will probably be fine too.

So is the Europa like a proto-Miranda then?

Check the last thread for the concept art, but I think the Edison is more akin to the Miranda. Seemingly all of Starfleet's ships shown in Discovery so far are saucers without well defined secondary hulls.

Nah, it's just another 4 nacelle, no secondary hull design. Nothing in the STD ships really looks like a proto-anything else.

Is it just me, or would those klink cruisers look really good flipped backwards and with the pod shaved down? There's tons of dickshaped ships in sci-fi, very few with a trailing tail...

You were saying?

>Miriam will probably be fine too.

I am a king, provide me with context.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri

>Earlier psych tests showed suspiciously near perfect normals along all axes. Yang likely used his strong will and extensive knowledge of psychiatric indicators to manipulate test results in his favor.
But Yang is a tricky motherfucker.

Watched the latest Orville.
Ok pretty much everything is spoilers so...

That was a very Brannon Braga episode. Especially with the double twist. Had the usual bit of me asking myself 'what the fuck are you up to Brannon?' stuff but honestly I liked the resolution. Probably because he didn't write it so it sort of avoided the nothing-actually-happened shit he pulls. Rather noticeable is that fight choreography is way better than old 'trek stuff but it did feel a lot like padding for the last 10 mins or so because after Gordon was met the big monster it lost all tension and became an exercise in waiting for the episode to tell me what's actually happening because up to that point it was a solid. Overall it felt ok, a bit of a filler material episode because most of the episode didn't really matter except as a vessel in which to watch Alara deal with shit and do more than just be strong.

Bortus still needs more screen time though.

I really liked the characterization she got throughout the episode. We learned a lot about her personal drive and how the Union Military was likely a way out of Selayan culture. The fact that she seriously fucked up, but it wasn’t he fault, results in an interesting dynamic for the episode. It’s also telling that Robert Picardo’s cameo was in an episode that echoes “Projections”, a similar Doctor-centric episode.
Evil sexy Doctor Finn was definitely fan-service. I liked it though.

It felt like this episode was intended to air during Halloween week. I didn't really like it when it started becoming clear this was a holodeck episode, but the conclusion was better than I expected and I'm not exactly salty about it. I thought it was interesting to see another species that looks down on humanity and the Union. Definitely feels like the opposite of the Federation worship we're used to seeing in Star Trek.

Yeah the character development was good, and we did kinda get a little bit for everyone else along the way, and that funeral scene was genuinely great for basically a named extra.

I just wish it was a little less Braga being Braga and maybe got weird at a slower rate or at least had more in the resolution. Maybe more time with the parents would have helped. Problem is that hit about 30 mins in where you suddenly know that it's not going to be real because main character death happened, where as killing off a named extra or two is still entirely plausible that it could have been weird shit. And I like how seriously they treated the clown, I know it wasn't real but I'd fully expect it to work out the same way if it were. You don't take a scary clown appearance in a casual manner. And it was nice that it was Issac to blame for how it played out so there's incidental character development for him there. But that's about it, nice episode, but not great episode.

The UFP doesn't forbid any religious practice and since Bajor managed to join it even allows theocracies in. Also Miriam was, for all her faults, genuinely concerned with the well being of her citizens.

And if they are going to allow Prokhor "three ethical violations before breakfast" Zakharov into the UFP they have to let Miriam in.

That. Miriam cares, and will most likely be damned happy that humanity managed to get past nuking itself and into a civilisation where individuals are free to live peacefully and freely.

Zakharov will learn and then chafe at the restrictions, especially on human enhancement. So he'll probably end up in jail for illegally modifying humans or since he's smart, he'll go somewhere else to apply his talents. Improbable scenario for a giggle: abducted by Romulans to work for them, happily goes along with it.

Yang is tricky but he's also not had to deal with actual mind readers (by that point) and isn't in a position of authority. I suspect he'd hate how the Federation is doing stuff and either end up dead, in jail or off trying to take over someone/somewhere far less interested in treating people as anything other than an extension of his will. Whilst a fair fit for Cardassia, he ain't getting anywhere as human. Improbable scenario that could be interesting: surgically altered, sneakily integrates himself into Cardassian society and starts working his way up. Obsidian order catches him but adopts him as one of their agents until he gets too power-hungry and is executed.

>That’s literally all of them, Minifig.
I know

Alright, /STG/ is propose to you a scenario. You've just been dropped into the 24th century. All of your skill-sets have been updated to contemporary standards (if you were an electrician, you now know how to hook up ODN lines. If you had a driver's license you now know how to pilot a shuttle) however your hobbies and interests remain untouched. You are, more or less, the same person you were. So who do you become in this new world? What course does your life take? Do you join Starfleet? Do you stay on Earth? Who are you (in the future)?
Hardmode: no heroes. Are you hero now? No? then you don't magically turn into one because it's the future. You won't be captain Kirk. You'll just be you. Work with what you got.

I write holonovels, some straight of the line dramas, others for "exclusive" clientele if you get my drift.

Holodeck addict.

Adapt Bloodsouls games to the holodeck and become the most popular human in the Klingon empire.

I design wargames possibly using holographic tech or just plain old miniatures still. Will have to see how the tech could aid the gameplay without just turning into a computer game, maybe allowing for more complex mechanics and detailing but still streamlined for the players.

Is it lacking any other weapons or did the Klingons just sacrifice it to get rid of what might have been troublesome Federation leadership:?

We didn't see it fire anything. It didn't seem to be damaged by the collision either. What got it in the end was the Europa activating self destruct. I don't think the Klingons intended for it to be a sacrifice.

Kirk confirmed best captain.
twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/931683992239161345

>dev/sysadmin/walking techfix
>found catastrophic bugs in several large open source project
>still mostly an introvert
>updated to Star Trek standards
Starfleet engineering officer, more software focused than the laughably primitive computer work we saw in TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT. Probably end up calling some Vulcan superior officer a greenblooded niggerfaggot and get exiled to an Oberth/Nova.

>Starship engineer w/military inclination
I get to work on the USS Ben Sisko's Muthafuckin Pimp Hand!
t. aerospace engineer @ defense contractor

Double duty as an enlisted rating in engineering (current profession) and Operations (previous jerb). Spend my free time doing old naval sims in the holodeck while also trying to figure out a way to basically jailbreak it.

Yeah, I'd be "that guy" responsible for the malfunctioning holodeck.

Lets be honest, if Gene Roddenberry was in the same position as Shatner is now he'd probably just be on /d/ all day, writing fap-fiction.
And Shatner would work this out from recognising the writing and just troll him relentlessly.

And it'd be damned hilarious.

We live in the weirdest fucking timeline.

Was the Dominion Battleship the pre-eminent warship of the Dominion War?

I don't think I ever recall seeing any destroyed on screen.

One got destroyed when Klingon BoP crashed into it. Unless you’re talking about the Dreadnought class, in which case, no, none of them got offed on screen.

>Former soldier
>Several (three) black sashes in related disciplines of Kung-Fu.
>Starfleet Security. Or a M.A.C.O. if they still exist.

I mean the one that were double the size of a Galaxy class ship, and had three times the fire power of one.

For all purposes, practically invincible.

>Captain Kirk may have posted in /wst/

What's /wst/?

Didn't the cadets on the Valiant destroy one, then got btfo'd by another? Or am I remembering that wrong?

They got BTFO'd by one in a rousing pastiche of Star Wars.

youtube.com/watch?v=IY1weV5WuUM

No, all they did was piss it off, then get their asses blown sky high.

The Anti-Matter is only added very shortly before launching the torp to minimize the danger.

>There is an alligator in the cargo bay
>I successfully crushed it with a chair

>newfags don't remember Weekend smut thread

I remember it, I just never used to go there. It's been like two years since it died dude.

I laughed at that more than I should have.

My handwavium is that replicators are kind of sloppy. You can get maybe .5 of a mm tolerances for different chemicals. Which is fine for food, internal organs, clothing, etc...

You try and construct anything more sophisticated than a gravity guided bomb with a chemical explosive with a replicator, best case is you wind up with something that doesn't explode. Worst case scenario is you replicate something that immediately fails deadly.

As for transporters a) either they work differently or b) everyone has just deiced that it's a huge social faux pas to talk about the people who get turned into a horrific pile of scrambled bio-matter when transported, and it happens rarely enough that people don't notice it. Sort of like us with cars.

Cardassian food replicators can trivially replicate autonomous phaser turrets, dematerialize them to make coffee, rematerialize them, and continue firing. Federation replicators are at least as good. We see all this on screen in DS9.

So what actually happened at Setlik 3?

Some spoon heads stray shot smashed O'Brien's bottle of scotch. He killed them, he killed them all with his bare hands. By the end he started getting cruel and rigged a teleporter to rip them in half or teleport one into another causing both to merge into a creature that could know only pain before exploding in a shower of decaying celluar slurry.
By the end, Starfleet was so impressed they tried inducting O'Brien into the Admiral's secret club, but he just wanted a simple assignment, something where he could do as he pleased away from the prying eyes of others.
A transporter chief position on the Flagship was perfect.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Setlik_III_massacre

Probably a holonovelist unless the UFP has a cure for asthma, in which case, I probably am a holonovelist who is also a Starfleet washout.

I have a boating license, which I’m guessing translates in to some for of starship navigation, so hopefully I’d rate bridge crew as a Navigator. If not for Starfleet then on a civilian cargo ship. Or perhaps the Niberite Alliance, they’re always looking for experienced officers.

>Went to Starfleet Academy for computer science and engineering
>Very good at computer assembly and get called a programming prodigy by professors.
>Can only get a job as Comms officer for some fucking reason and routinely get randomly fired and re-hired on different ships on a yearly basis while I watch inept retards populate the Computer departments.
>Oh the whole network is down for the day? I can get it back up in under an hour. Oh now I'm fired for upsetting the IT department and not being positive, thanks you pieces of shit I hope your warp core breaches."

A shuttle pilot that's never lost or damaged his shuttle even in some tricky situations, yet isn't on the ships A list because he has trouble making friends, thus the A list pilot is some asshat that's crashed nearly every shuttle he's ever flown but the bridge crew loves his quirky personality and Academy binge drinking stories.

I'd be some faceless ensign that gets assigned to some station in assfuck nowhere and work directly under Commander Smalltalk, only to get brutally gunned down by random terrorists so Dr Crusher has something to do in the episode.

>Be lab assistant
>Join starfleet
>Get to be an invincible blue shirt
>Laugh at other shirts for not using containment shields on anything out of ordinary

In the real world, I review income tax objections for a living. Before that I audited sales tax refunds and before that I collected tax arrears. So either my job is entirely obsolete, or its completely unchanged.

If it's obsolete I'm part of some entirely pointless bureaucracy that only exists because it's a post-scarcity society and really, why not let them LARP as if taxes mattered.

Otherwise my job is completely the same.

First...Alara is cute. CUTE!

The episode from last week with the rape pheremones was the first episode of Orville that I would actually call "bad", so the fact that this episode was GOOD really helped with matters. Also I appreciate the fact that it's a holodeck episode where the holodeck functions perfectly throughout the whole thing.

Definitely felt like a Halloween episode. I kind of wish the killer clown had stuck around more as well - Isaac morphing into him or the clown otherwise reappearing for the finale with the fiery explosion, for example.

All in all, Orville continues its pattern of being a genuinely good show that is far and away better than Discovery. Hell, even the Rape Pheremones episode from last week wasn't nearly as bad as the worst of Discovery, and it certainly FELT like Star Trek. Flirting with the worst of Star Trek, but Star Trek nonetheless.

Sort of plays into why I rate Voyager higher than Discovery - for all that Voyager is a bad show, it's at least bad in the attempt to be Star Trek. It puts forth the effort...or at least pretends to. STD doesn't even go that far.

It was to prove a point (like the Jem'Hadar ramming the Odyssey) and as a demonstration of their cloaking abilities.