media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
Are there any changes to existing classes in XGE that you dislike?

They nerfed Arcane Archer for some reason. I don't get why they would nerf a subclass that would need a buff instead.

Guess WotC want you to only roll up battlemasters. At least Cavalier is a decent option.

Not class, but the tool stuff is stupid. It just shoehorns them into specific uses

How do you play a ranger? Planning on making one for my next character, but I know jack shit about how to play one. I've played Fighters, Paladins, Monks, and Sorcerers before.

Unnecessary changes to the redemption paladin in getting rid of warrior of reconciliation, the shield spell, and the AC.
The AC could've been retained but at a lowered value.

Making the monster slayer ranger have to devote an action to know monster weaknesses, etc so has to forego an attack.

I'm still a little mad they got rid of the Dragon Wings feat for Dragonborn, yet they include an elf subrace that gets wings at level 1 in the new UA.

Are you serious? That was one of the best received sections of the book.

How do/would you change gnomes to be more than the throwaway race they currently are? I'm trying to think of a way to make their race and culture more than "not dwarves and not halflings"

Forge Cleric losing shield and gaining identify instead.

Wrong.
Now my players actually will use their tools instead of completely ignoring them.

The giant runes at the eye of the all father has a trap with fucking METEOR SWARM

Be warned

You hunters mark and hit them. If you are a beast master, you don't hunters mark. If you are a horizon walker, you judge if the situation requires the use of hunters mark

I'm going to a level 16 one shot this Saturday taking place in the deep underdark, with underdark races for characters encouraged.

fun ideas? was thinking of playing a duergar of some persuasion but I'm open to other suggestions

So they actually have a use instead of being mere ribbons? How is this bad?

Banishing Smite requires you to be right next to the fucker in melee combat. Are you seriously telling me that the single smite that can remove someone from a fight for one minute at 17th level is worth giving shit like Disintegrate, Prismatic Spray (results for 6 and 7), Dominate Monster, True Polymorph, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, and Suggestion (all of which can be done at range) a stamp that effectively says "Just keep concentrating on one spell and not using any other resources until you win." Not to mention you've now just made a 4th level spell (Banishment) objectively better than a 5th level spell (Banishing Smite).
You're retarded, but you're not going to listen to reason, so just remember this for when your martials serve literally no other purpose than "stall until the save fails."

>If you have 5th level slots, there's no reason to use a divine smite over banishing smite. It does more damage even if the effect doesn't take hold.
Or you could cast the superior Destructive Wave for a 30ft radius 10d6 AoE that FoF's, knocks prone, and deals half on a save.

Because 5e players are unimaginative dullards who can't think of reasons to use their tools and need to be given one

If your players arnt super retarded and you at least give them some hints at the runes before they go to eye of the all father it will be fine

I had to stop one from pressing every rune at the same time

play as a blind, somewhat insane dwarf who thinks the Underdark caverns are his abusive home

Is hunter's mark really that necessary? I played a vengeance paladin that had it, but I rarely used it.

some people need to learn the hard way.

>This

I said no reason to use divine smite over banishing smite, not no reason to use destructive wave over banishing smite.

>banishing smite's effect makes the target as good as dead
>SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS IT'S BETTER THAN HIGHER LEVEL WIZARD SPELLS?!

Yeah because brewing always comes up in dungeons.

Pretty much. And why the fuck are they all just sitting around the runes doing that. My players sent 1 person in to do it, and everyone else was out side the room.

When 5e is the creative, unshackled edition?

and I am saying there is no reason to use Banishing Smite. You have a better spell in the same level.

I did it Tg
A whole session doing nothing but having dinner with Strahd

How do the finalized versions of the classes in Xanathar's compare to the teaser videos Wizards put out?

it's 3.5 extra damage per hit for an hour (1 or 2 encounters) costing a bonus action and a level 1 slot. It's not necessary, but what else are you using your level 1 slots for?

>as good as dead
>goes off to buff and heal and then comes back
Also I don't even know where the fuck you got that last part. I said that if you let wizards maintain concentration until save or dies connect, you've made them the only real option in a fight, and made regular Banishment far superior to Banishing Smite since it can be done at range to multiple creatures with no hitpoint requirement.
But yeah, just keep being retarded and acting right. I'm sure you'll never regret taking advice about your homebrew making wizards stupidly strong for no reason.

Alright motherfuckers, I asked this a few nights ago but no one helped.

I cant decide what to do for my next level. I'm a 2 paladin/7 sorc and about to get level 8 in sorc. My stats are 8, 14, 16, 10, 10, 18. Should I use the ASI and get 16 dex? Or get the warcaster feat so I can use a shield and not worry so much about concentration?

It doesn't in your game, user?

>Are there any changes to existing classes in XGE that you dislike?
Storm Barbarian Tundra aura now granting a pitiful amount of temp HP instead of doing cold damage.
I'm super salty about that one.

Meteor swarm ice storm storm of vengeance conjure 4 earth elementals and reverse gravity = TPK

good.

>8 strength

You can't have any paladin levels with those stats. You need 13 str to multiclass into OR out of paladin.

>Go agile
>Brag about your absurd initiative every time you roll
>Piss off your party since that is literally all you talk about

Tis worth keeping in mind that the effect of banishing smite isn't supposed to be as good as destructive wave because the latter spell doesn't also allow you to make two attacks on the same turn.

I wouldn't know as a ranger. So aside from Hunter's Mark, any fighting styles or spells you would recommend?

>2 paladin/X sorc sorcadin
>With stats that don't even let you do that
You're getting no help from me, scumbag

I want to say you're wrong, but all my players are normies that only joined because they've heard of "Dungeons & Dragons" before.

at first i thought this was wrong but then I actually RTFM and found that you are correct

ty for teaching me something new today user

Yeah yeah I know, I didnt even want to multiclass but we lost 2 players in our CoS game and our DM was like "well you guys are fucked" here you can multiclass into paladin so at least someone can take a hit.

Are you a Devotion Paladin? Can you channel divinity in order to put your Charisma in your attack rolls when it counts? Or are you just a Sorcadin meme?

>'ok you all get surprised'
>'um ackchyually I don't'
I hate using alert

You're welcome, friend.

Just because we're normal doesn't mean we're be at the game. It's just a game, brah.

Avariel are shit, though. The only thing they get is their flight speed. They don't even have a +1.

Sacred oaths are at level 3

too bad that even factoring in two potential attacks, destructive wave is better in all but the most carefully crafted scenarios.

If the enemy comes back to only to find all their friends are dead, which will almost certainly be the case unless the party lost that fight, they're almost certainly fucked.

Banishment is at a disadvantage against banishing smite by default because of casting time, which you keep conveniently forgetting.

Homebrew might turn out badly, but then I'll stop using it. It's called playtesting.

I haven't had a fight in 5 sessions of Curse of Strahd

Well then again, my players are terrified every week and hide under their covers every time a plot hook comes along

we're bad* at the game.

I feel like you have my answer then
Set aside childish things and take your Oath.
DEUS VULT

I love being a smug cunt with 10 initiative and can't be surprised.

>Ok user-chan, with your gay 27 initiative, you go first

>I'll hold my turn. I'll let you know when I want to go

>Ok then it's Francis Tittybang's turn and h~

>ACTUALLY I'll take my turn right now

Jesus. My DM is a little old school so he makes sure we sweat every game. When I joined in as a sorc we had a fighter, paladin, wizard and cleric. We were doing fine until the fighter and paladin quit 2 sessions later cause they were bored with 5e.

>Banishment is at a disadvantage against banishing smite by default because of casting time, which you keep conveniently forgetting.

>Be sorcerer
>be quickened Banishment

But user, you can't hold your turn in 5e. You can ready an action, in which you state your readied action and the trigger for the reaction, but that's all.

>Implying I even read the book if I'm such a faggot that I'm willing to do all this

I'm also playing a sorcadin with 8 strength and 10 charisma who smites with a bow :^)

>his DM doesn't let him hold turns

>person in my party is a Dex Fighter with Alert and a Weapon of Warning
I don't think the bastard's gotten under a 23 all campaign.

So first of all, that takes sorcery points. Secondly, paladins have much better things to do with their action than casting a cantrip.

Good stuff. Fighters should be going first to get in place to soak all the shit being flung at the real hero, the wizard

Just drop it, he clearly wants to buff the shit out of save or die spells for some reason. He's not going to listen now just because he's butthurt about being called retarded.

Archery is best
If you want to melee, I'd go finesse with a shield, but you can go any melee weapons really.
Spells aren't too hard for ranger, you don't have much choice and only a few of them are worthwhile

Forest Gnomes are the first kinds. A weird small people of the wood that speak to the small beasts and are adept in illusions. Their also wise to the ways of magic. They could have fey origins similar to that of elves, but don't have the subtype.

Rock Gnomes are an aberration, from a Rock discovered by Forest Gnomes, that twisted their minds and turned them to the path of invention and technology. Butchering their land for resources, they built a city of machines. The city grows like a cancer in the world, as it's influence spread and it's borders widen.

Deep Gnomes are like Forest Gnomes, but they're the small folk of stone and caves. Not in a dwarfy way either. Dwarves build citadels of stone and mine deep, plundering the underworld. Deep Gnomes live in natural caves, draw from seams and cut gems.

>So first of all, that takes sorcery points.
because a 17th level Sorcerer gives a shit about two sorcery points

4th level slot + 2 sorcery points vs. 5th level slot

At level 17, I would say those are roughly equivalent.

So Horizon Walker looks pretty cool. But they seem to be more flavourful at melee with their teleportation. Is melee ranger even viable compared to ranged ones? Ranger spells especially favour ranged weapons imo

Hm. Archery, so a Longbow will suite me fine. ALso thinking of going Hunter's Conclave rather than beast. Longstrider and Jump look like nice utility spells to have. I've always wondered why no one takes them.

They get 3 attacks, albeit conditionally, at level 11, so I think that closes the gap. Ranged still tends to be better in 5e but everything is viable.

I don't think there are that many ranged weapon spells. Just hail of thorns, lightning arrow and swift quiver. Swift quiver is a game changer but no one plays level 17 anyway

But those 3 attacks are for melee or ranged attacks, aren't they?

>swift QUIVER
>melee
uuuuuhhhhh

Especially 5th. Seems the current average 5th ed player falls into the "I don't understand the difference between attack and action to attack" crowd. But it's only natural with the type of "streamlining" WotC did.

Just bean the fucker with your quiver, pussy

We are talking about the Horizon Walker feature Distant Strike dude

What are some good battlefield control spells for wizards? I'm new to dnd and I heard wizard was good at controlling the play.

well ain't I dumb

Yet why do autists still ask stupid questions and misinterpret what's in the books?

Fireball

really? I was thinking that holdperson looked pretty good. I'm not sure if you can use two concentration spells at once though.

>holding turn

I got tired of my players not paying attention (like they always do) and while telling one of my friends multiple times that it was his turn he was too busy looking up some stupid Facebook shit on his phone.

I skipped his turn and had the enemy attack him with advantage, and I told him it was because he wasn't paying attention.

Was I a little too mean? I have to assertive but I don't want to be an asshole.

No, fireball.

Read the fucking spell list and if at any point you say "Wow, this would be great for controlling the battlefield," you should proceed to fucking kill yourself.
On a less hostile note, Scatter looks both useful and fun.

I feel like a grown ardent typing this... but, people really overestimate casuals. This edition has drawn a lot of new blood. I would hazard to say that most are phone zombies.

What Familiar would you say would best suit a High Elf Necromancer who has the two skeletons of her dead sons with her?

Maybe a little mean.
Assume a dodge action if they don't notice that it's their turn.

And as if on fucking cue shows up

That's not a bad thing, grognard.

What crawled up your ass and died?

Sleep, hold person, fog cloud can fuck with ranged enemies by obscuring their targets, gust of wind is alright for holding enemy martials back. If it looks like it shuts one thing down HARD or hinders a lot of other things in any meaningful way it's probably good. Fireball is also an old favorite because nothing controls the battlefield quite as well as onshotting the enemy backline with a lucky roll on fireball

Doesnt banishing smite need a Ba to cast and an attack to hit? Cause im pretty sure that A+Ba is worse than A.
So you have to compare getting it at an earlier level, the cost of a 4th level slot on a full caster v a 5th level slot on a half caster (ignoring bards for this instance), being able to cast at range and a slightly better casting time and most creatures having worse cha than hp vs extra damage, more chance to land a spell, stacking with divine smite, and bypassing legendary resistances (no save)

Your ability to read and think for yourself.

I bet anyone likes you.

Some aren't though. Everybody starts somewhere. Even you were a spergelord/edgelord/moron when you started, I guarantee it.

DnD-esque games take time to learn. Some people just try them out, find they don't like them then move on. Others put the phone down and actually start to enjoy it. Stop being a old fart and realize new blood is good, and the shit will mostly filter out.

Not even that guy, lad.