Check out my free and open-source online map editor

I'm developing an online map editor, available at mipui.net/app

Free, open-source, no registration required, and supports real-time collaboration between multiple editors, Google Docs style.

Other urls found in this thread:

mipui.net/app
github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/114.
github.com/amishne/mipui/blob/master/public/app/themes/cross_hatch/style_gridless.css#L1-L4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bro, this is pretty neat

Nice

Bookmarked. Nice job, user. You might get better exposure posting this in other places though.

Pretty cool. I put the link in my Games folder.

That's some good shit OP.

Pretty spiffy. Thanks, OP!

Kudos to you.

Was about to complain that it takes a while to make a comprehensive map, but then I remembered that I used to manually save and edit individual tiles from a payed map service, arranging each piece by hand in Photoshop or directly in Roll20.

... Which is to say: thanks, OP.

Not too shabby overall. More robust than I would've expected.

That's pretty fucking good OP
Keep up the good work

This I like.

Keep this up. Add in some more markers for enemies and features such as basic furniture pieces and like catapults and you have something really solid.

All I get is a plain gray page.

Thanks user.

Groovy.

Played around with it a bit, groovy thing. Currently my biggest niggles are removing blocks (perhaps make it right click?), no fill tool (minor one, but I figure if you want to make underground-looking stuff it would be neat of just filling outside) and some more symbols (furniture, like pews, tables, etc.. Perhaps they are just scattered in other categories, but I figure it would probably be best if given such tag, at least I assume how that works)

I also managed to make a minor bug experimenting with angled walls (left wall from staircase)

Gonna keep eye on it, perhaps fork it myself. Keep up good work.

Been wondering how to remove blocks myself. I try the remove tool and it does fuck all.Also resizing the map seems to delete all my progress.

V nice
need diagonal fence

Just click them again.

I've done that, and it doesn't seem to work.Really confusing. I'm on Mac if that's any help.

Looks really good, user. How do I remove text boxes though? The little red X in the corner doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Very nice, user!

Really sweet, i do hope you will improve on this.

This is amazing.
Can someone please tell me how to add the borders like in some of these maps in this thread.

This is fucking awesome! It’s free! It’s awesome! What’s not to like?

Very nice, OP! Specially like the tokens, very evocative.
Mind if I share the link in other places?

Very nice work, kudos to you!

Few things, all diagonal walls disappear in the exported png.
The tokens menu is really really slow.
There are a hell of a lot of tokens but quite a few simple things missing like top down views for beds, tables, chairs, etc.
Multi-tile tokens move about when you do things like change the theme or the canvas size.

I like it, but the toolbar is really squished to he left on my computer

Shapes produce strange behavior, you can't have a center shape, and a wall shape, one disappears. Also while playing around with circle vs square in the same area a.

Look, pick shapes, circle, put two circles in cells adjacent to each other, then try to put a shape in the cell wall, then move your mouse around, the circles will appear and disappear.

Shadows are cool

You need diagonal seperators

Hex/triangle version would be nice

Bump, this is good

Thats some good stuff, man, I look forward to use it the next time I DM for my Group. Good work, keep it up.

Thanks, OP.

>mipui.net/app
Neat. Thanks OP, was looking for a good map tool a couple weeks ago

boooookmarked. this is amazing.

Maybe its me but whenever I try to download as png it just chugs memory while not downloading.

It takes a few good seconds, but it always worked for me... please file a bug report through one of the contact option in the help menu, particularly listing your browser and OS, and I'll take a look.

Hey would you mind sharing your browser and OS? Alternatively you can file a bug through one of the contact channels under the help menu.

I'm trying to be mobile-friendly, so I want to avoid right-click gestures (I'm having enough trouble as it is, emulating the hover mechanism).

The symbols and their categories are actually not mine, they are from game-icons.net. So I can tweak them manually but I prefer to avoid that for now.

The angled wall thing is basically angled holes there, you can fill them up with other gestures. It's not really a bug, but overall the angled wall tool is clunky to use. Thinking about it.

And great idea about the fill tool! Will implement it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Most tools are toggle tools - you click again on something and it makes it disappear.

Resizing the map absolutely should not delete anything! Would you mind sharing the map URL?

(also there's an undo feature, it should be able to undo and deletion)

Sorry for the frustration, thanks for the feedback!

Please share! That's the whole point of my post :-)

Disappearing diagonal walls and moving multi-tile tokens sound like bugs. Would you mind sharing your OS and browser?

>mipui.net/app
It works really well and is easy to use but I'd have 2 minor complaints:
1- The old school theme is not ready. many things don't display properly and old school needs a grid.
2- The quality of the export is to low. You should at least be able to export 300dpi.

After some fiddling, diddling and losing all my work it seems it was because the map was bigger than normal.

A way to define map size instead of having to click your way too it would also be real nice.

Thanks for the input! And a 300dpi export is on my todo list, tracking in github.com/amishne/mipui/issues/114.

The old-school theme should be working, though, and it certainly has a grid. I'm attaching how it looks on my machine (top-right image). What's your OS/Browser, and can you share the map url? I will take a look

>Actually cool
>Useful
>Reasonably large map size/scaleable map size
Pick two. Fuck. I had hope, and you crushed it.

Hey, thanks man. I'm keeping this one around, should come in useful.

>Mobile Friendly
user, lets be real here, man. It's a mapping program. You're not going to be using it on mobile, and if you are, then you're an idiot. It's something that takes time and effort, because you want to do it well.

Pale Moon (hipster browser) and windows 8. It works in Firefox.

First this is an amazing tool, thank you so much !

I spent two hours trying to find how you added those borders in the CrossHatch maps, the thick grey borders, can you please tell me where to find it because I really looked everywhere.

Thank you !

Can someone do a first-floor residence or living quarters?

Most triumphant, TC

The map is resizeable to any size, use the buttons around the edge of the map. I also plan on a more convenient resizing option in the future, but it still totally works right now. It will get slower with huge maps, though.

You mean the borders around the walls? It's a layer-level drop-shadow filter, defined at github.com/amishne/mipui/blob/master/public/app/themes/cross_hatch/style_gridless.css#L1-L4

Desktop is absolutely my top priority. But I worked a lot to make it view-friendly on mobile, and I plan to continue and make it edit-friendly.

Why? Honestly... because I find it to be a nice past-time while I'm on the toilet =D and I'm guessing others can find it useful as well. There are some existing mapping applications on mobile app stores, which suggests there is at least*some* demand.

Sorry but I have enough trouble supporting existing browsers as it is, so I'm not planning on supporting low-traffic browsers.

That said I don't do any special shenanigans so it should work on complying browsers that support a reasonable set of new features. You're welcome to debug it, if it's some small fix then I can certainly patch that in.

Browser and OS please? Also a screenshot, particularly of the squished menu, will help.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant toolwise. I went through all the tools, and tried multiple tweaks to try and imitate creating those thick gray borders but for noth sadly.

Attached a gif demonstrating collaboration and the field-of-view tool

Hehe sorry I think like a developer :-)
It seems you mean the angled walls. They are the third tool in the wall menu. However they are admittedly cumbersome to use.

The best way is probably to first draw the non-angled walls, then later add the angled ones.

Dunno who makes the tokens or if they are premade but there needs to be more ABSOLUTE GARBAGE or literal garbage tokens.

Something like this?

Pretty much, yes. A shade more irregular wouldn't hurt, but the important part- multiple entrance/exits, and non-linear structure is there.
Players to go sneaking read: blundering through a city occupied by demon animals. Need rooms for them to path through without it being a one-way "reach end of dungeon" map.

Well sounds a little bigger than what we are given. I'll give it a whirr, probably gonna crash on me. It almost did when I tried to make those fences not look shitty.

Neat, I'll give it a try now OP.

Thank you gracious user. I figure the same map can be reused from a couple orientations if I assume the city builders were a little overly regular- it's probably decayed plenty since then.

So just to make sure, you wanted one building in sorta apocalyptic state or did you mean several?

There, tried adding some personality too it. Hope its what you wanted.

OP is certainly not a faggot. He's Da Chad.

dude this is seriously impressive

have you posted this on r.eddit already? Their userbase is a bit larger and would eat this up I think

Oh now that's very snazzy

does this support multiple floors/layers?

that looks fucking good

Spreading this shit among friends, love it!
Haven't found the eraser tool yet though.

it's a toggle mostly, if you use the same tool on somewhere you've drawn it should erase

not that user, but same problem.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

This is great, user!

I don't have the squish going on but the previews of the map elements doesn't look quite as good, picture related.

Also the fonts look different

How did I not catch that...

Fortunately I have found a solution to my problems. It's called going onto Firefox. Doesn't seem to work right on Safari if you're looking into that.

I thought it was pretty intuitive, but I understand that people who are used to design software expect an eraser

I guess so, but in addition an eraser tool would be nice because it would erase all elements at once: now you have to go back to the specific element to delete it

I don't suppose you'd care to make a downloadable version for offline use?

Sorry senpai, I passed out. Both your maps are great though, I'll be using them in about half an hour.

Okay this thread convinced me to add a eraser too.
Meanwhile, you can use the select tool to select a region and then delete it (delete key or delete menu option).

Okay I'll check it in Safari. Thanks!

Not planning any offline tool in the short term. I think the user base for that is relatively small, and it makes the whole updating the app or changing maps story way harder.

OK I see, thanks! Not a high priority but will look into it.

I published it on Reddit, Facebook and even Google+ (don't laugh!). I'm not an SEO expert, but I think that for increased visibility I need more non-transient links pointing at my site.

In other words: blogs, youtube videos, forum posts, etc. Will appreciate any help in spreading the word :-)

Seconding. I know webapps and the cloud are the future. I don't like the future.

You da man, dog!

Is this supposed to be used for indoors maps only? Seems to have only tools for that.

Yea it's intended for indoor maps. I felt that for indoor maps there's a more pressing need and less good alternatives than for town and overland maps.

So how do you give the players the player link?

File -> Share Read-Only, I think.

Thank you, that's some really great tool ! The current result is already quite impressive. Do you think that implementing the option for .svg export might be possible in the future ? Something similar to the system within the Medieval Fantasy City Generator on watabou.itch.io

I want SVG export too! But it's a lot of work to do that myself, and unfortunately there are no current libraries (that I know of) that are capable of html -> svg conversions.

(well there are a lot of existing solution that use foreignObject... but that cannot be loaded in inkscape or other SVG editors)