Would you play in an Earthbound campaign? What would be your character concept?

Would you play in an Earthbound campaign? What would be your character concept?

A Ness: The aggressively normal, yet psychic kid?
A Paula: The Mary Sue?

A Jeff: The minmaxed normie of the group?

A Poo: The special snowflake from a different setting, transplanted into this one because you were too lazy to make a new character?

Or something completely different?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N6IajnMvi2w
mega.nz/#F!0CgACDYQ!Wqq79leV61fV1H6yyhKuvw
youtube.com/watch?v=vBbRJoHTJAM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wanna play as a female Ness copy
Just a cheery, brave, kind protagonist stereotype who smacks things with a baseball bat and befriends other nice heroic children easily

10/10 choice

Hell yeah I would. As for what I'd play... I dunno. For some reason I have a hard time divorcing myself from those four listed archetypes when it comes to an Earthbound setting.

I guess one thing to do would be to just look at stereotypes in children/teenagers. So you could have the goth kid, for instance, or the bully delinquent. I dunno.

Weird chuuni goth kid with absolutely no psychic powers. I win my fights by an almost completely accidental use of brute force and misdirection. Shit like threatening a monster with my "evil demon hand", trying to do it, failing, then screaming and smacking them with a brick.

Alternatively, the hilariously charismatic popular kid, who's psychic powers involve winking at enemies and doing the little finger-guns thing, only with actual physical damage.

GOAT post

Definitely a beastmaster style child.
PP would be spent dispelling Giygas' influence from enemies, and getting them to fight with me instead.
As for personality, prolly some quiet, introspective weird child who says about ten words a session but has plenty of body language that says enough.

Oh fuck yes I would play in an Earthbound campaign. I've wanted to run one for years but never really felt like I could properly capture the mix of whimsy and lurking darkness, and never thought I could get the humor quite right.

As a player, I'd like to play a character like Paula, but with more emphasis on her temper and offensive psychic powers, preferably with some kind of rage mechanic instead of the useless-except-as-plot-demands-it Pray command.

10/10 for both of those, would play with

Have another Ness, just because.

It would take a lot of work prior work to capture the feel, and the right group of players to enjoy the setting

youtube.com/watch?v=N6IajnMvi2w

I'd play the kid who drives the beat up car we bought after getting shut-up money from the mayor of our town. I wear a fake mustache to get us past the cops.

IIRC pray's free healing even when it's not being plot, something that's nice in places like that one valley with the Territorial Oaks.

I played an expy of Ness in my Mutants & Masterminds 3e game, except he was a lovable street urchin in the weird 1930s.

I once played a kid in a Mage: the Ascension game in the 80s. He thought magic was "psy" because he was "too grown up to believe in magic", and his avatar was a insane Yeti that threatened to kill all his friends. He became a Marauder after killing the Yeti, and I usually send the sheriff running with my psy barrier. Good ol' times.

An image-conscious boy who struggles to be "too cool to care" when he actually cares a lot. Favors yo-yos and skateboards as weapons, learns mostly elemental PSI and PSI that cause negative status effects like Flash and Brainshock.

>Awaken, my masters!

>aggressively normal

Most tumblr adjective of all time.

Depression-era Earthbound sounds kind of fun to be honest.

I would play Duster. A kind of thief/rogue with low strength or something because leg.

Also, an EB game is brilliant, if only I could find the people to play. The PSI progression and the enemies make EB an easy tabletop conversion.

That sounds amazing. Too bad I'm already in games. If someone runs this they have to storytime

I'd play a brute type that uses PSI to just smash stuff instead of magical effects. Eclectic mix of PSI shield, Offense Up, and Thunder. Special is a high crit PSI Bash that can debuff.

>mary sue
please learn what words mean

I'd play a Ness/Jeff hybrid that primarily uses his PSI talents to heal and buff the team. My only attack power would be technopathy and minor telekinesis in which I can control various tools I create using my PSI. I would be a support role for the team but I'd find ways to use my powers inventively since I am not directly combative with my PSI like Paula or Poo.

Alternatively I'd play a child magician who's PSI powers are all based on illusion, subterfuge, and misdirection. Creating Illusions, turning people invisible, short range teleport, telekinetic levitation (slow at first but gets faster as I level up), phasing through objects (the old pen through a brick trick), mind reading/telepathy, and a pocket dimension in my hat which acts like the team's bag of holding. I wouldn't start with all of these powers from the get go but would learn more of them along the way via training or watching other magicians in our journey. It would be my sidequest to explore the street magicians, broadway preformances, and maybe learn a few techniques Blue Magic style from fighting a magician enemy.

Normally I battle by making the opponent confused with illusions, making things invisible and leading them into traps, having them attack something that isn't there that allows my teammates to get an opening, and using my powers for the utility aspects of the team. Depending on the setting it would be wacky Looney Tunes effects like making them run into walls thinking there was a tunnel, or making an anvil invisible and using telekinesis to drop it on their head. The only power I would be hit and miss on is Restoration as that is normally a Ness thing but there are several magic tricks about repairing a broken object/person almost instantaneously after breaking it.

A while back, in the far gone year 2005 or so, someone made an Eartbound RPG in D20 that would maybe work as a start point. Stuck it into a quick mega for everyone to take a look at.
mega.nz/#F!0CgACDYQ!Wqq79leV61fV1H6yyhKuvw

Hell fucking yes, I would.

Probably paula/poo style.
Leader of pack of lil arrogant snots that get their hands on psychic powers. Spend time trying to restore their reputation as they need support from everyone to cast biggest "PK LOOOOOVE".

Do you allow non-human characters?

>literally loved by her entire town
>has caring parents
>is the reason you can even beat the game

I'd play a child medium who speaks to spirits and ghosts. Work his powers like the Necromancer from EO5.

This is good.

Would you use Monsters and Other Childish Things or Monsters and Other Childish Things?

naturally.

Post NPC/enemy ideas.

I stopped playing this after I got to Threed.

The art in the OP is not actually of Earthbound, just inspired by it.

Definitely this. Freaky fake wizards would be great to fight.

Definitely the Poo. Cute robot of alien make.

>that facial expression
Raincoat witch girl has had enough of your shit.

I'm currently playing a D&D character who's kind of loosely inspired by Paula and whose personality can be summed up by Pollyanna: youtube.com/watch?v=vBbRJoHTJAM - needless to say, the character is insufferable.

>free healing
Except for the times when it blinds everyone (both enemies and allies), or confuses everyone, or instakills everyone. Pray was NOT a reliable source of healing.

>not being dragoon
shame on you user

>Cleric
>Wizard
>Artificer
>Monk

>The wizard has the pray command
>The monk has the best offensive spell

Who designed this game?