Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What do you really think of DSP's akasha? Is it better than incarnum? Better than Paizo's occultist? Is the batal rajah overloaded even by zealot standards?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94777/the-fields-of-asphodel
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94913/pointy-hats-or-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93719/welcome-to-north-high
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5731092/opened-slot
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93553/a-wizard-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94678/from-gallows-to-gridlock
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5762406/waiting-room
archivesofnethys.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ratfolk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's most certainly an improvement over incarnum. And yeah, I like Akashic Magic a LOT more than I like Occultists.

I really enjoy Akasha, despite its many flaws. It's infinately better than Incarnum, and about on-par with Occultist for me. I haven't looked at the batal yet but I love the Rajah as a class.

I find occultist less confusing and more interesting/flavorful than I find incarnum.

Some folks are born, made to wave the flag

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94777/the-fields-of-asphodel
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94913/pointy-hats-or-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93719/welcome-to-north-high
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5731092/opened-slot
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93553/a-wizard-tower
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/94678/from-gallows-to-gridlock

Which one are we going to meme? Gallows looks ripe with apps already but Asphodel seems like it has better potential.

any except pointy, looks like weeb shit.

Pointy has a pre game roleplaying thread.
app.roll20.net/forum/post/5762406/waiting-room

If someone takes a butchering axe, is that a sign to ban that player for being a munchkin?

Well, that depends. If they take it with the intent to do size stacking shenanigans, them sure. If they just take it because the thought of swinging an oversized axe was amusing to them, then there's no reason to stop them, seeing as they're still investing a feat/alternate racial trait into that.

>seeing as they're still investing a feat/alternate racial trait into that.

Or 1,500 gp for an implanted stone.

No, because that's dumb as fuck. If you're scared about size increase spam. just say a character can only benefit from weapon size upgrades once. If you have powerful build you can not benefit from enlarge person or AoC.

How much does the axe go up with when you go large

It only goes up to like a d6.

The axe isn't the problem. The problem is that DSP gives people at least 3 different ways to crank that axe up to colossal (AoC, Expansion, Hyperdense, Stances, etc).

So I was invited to Strange Aeon campaign... since I has been on hiatus from pathfinder for awhile, I have some question about my potential character.

1) Is Psychic Bloodline Sorcerer any good? Probably trade the first bloodline power for bloodline mutation (Blood Havoc).

2) Psychic Rebirth Discipline...Mnemonic Esoterica... Can I use it to steal spell from discount spell list like Summoner's Haste? Paladin's Greater Angelic Aspect?

>1) Is Psychic Bloodline Sorcerer any good? Probably trade the first bloodline power for bloodline mutation (Blood Havoc).
Literally just play a kineticist or better yet ask your GM to play an actual Psionic class.

One thing I remembered from this thread is that Kineticist suck. Did they fixed it?

Can someone explain why the Shifter is bad?
Gets double the attacks of most martial classes and a boost to AC and there minor/major bonuses are pretty good. Sure they only get it for a number of minutes but you what combat is gonna last more than 4 minutes at level 1?

You have more than 4 combats, and when those minutes run out you are worhtless.
>double the attacks of most martila classes
Barbarians, Rangers, Alchemists, Hunters, and Summoners can easily EASILY outpace them. Not to mention a druid who DUMPED wisdom to the point they can't cast spells can too.

No if you have more than 4 combats you are just a boring martial.

Also how does those classes (besides Summoner) outpace Shifter? They get 2 claws that at level 20 have a x3 modifier and deal 1d10 and can attack 8 times. The only way I can think of to compete is multishot

2 Claws, horns, bites, weapon attacks. Multiple limbs. mutagens.

Fuck off Paizo shill.

I'm qutie the newbie for Pathfinder, but would like to learn to play with it.

Can someone suggest a weekly / bi-weekly game I can join online?

Unfortunately GMs in my town are 'exausted' and don't know when they will start the events again.

Shifter gets TWF and Haste? Oh boy!

>Attack 8 times

What?

So I'm playing a homebrew class. One of the powers is once a day, being able to summon a creature with CR three less than my life. Alternatively, I could decrease the creatures CR by two to get twice as many, dropping by another two CR for each additional doubling. There's also a feat (unavailable for general summoning) that'll give me more creatures the lower their CR is beneath my level according to this table.

Is there an optimal number of CR to monster ratio? I was thinking about it last night and I realized that in a specific fight (17th level APL vs Karzoug in RotRL) and thinking specifically in demons (though by no means a requirement) I could get 1d4+4 Glaberzus, 1d8+8 Hezrous, 2d10+16 Vrocks, 7d6+32 Shadow Demons or several hundred CR 1 monsters.

I guess I'm taking the table they present too literally (16 creatures of the same type is CR+8) because I imagine that a fuckton of low CR monsters aren't going to be relevant, regardless of how many there are, but I might be wrong.

Weapon modifications are awesome I just wish there were more

Why don't you try applying to one of these? Use the experience of putting together a sheet and asking questions about stuff in order to get yourself more familiar with the system. It helps even if you don't get in, and hey, if you've got a good idea, you just might!

That's what happened to me anyway

How did women handled menstruation before the invention of the modern tampons?

Cloth padding. There's a reason it's called 'being on the rag.'

They were banished to the period hut.

You tell me.

Bottled it, added to potions and sold at a profit.

Do you name your weapons, /pfg/?

Where were you when FUCKING RATS were the best at gun alchemy
>can get 30 ft land speed, +Dex/Int, small size, and +1/6th discovery FCB

I try to. Once had a Serrated +5 Keen Falchion that I called "Fluffy Bunny." It was a one shot.

Psychic bloodline sorcerer is fantastic... As a variant multi class.

Slap that bad boy on a wizard or archivist, (or really any caster), and you can cast all your spells as psychic.

Favorite official pathfinder trick.

Named weapons are for faggots and Elves.

>VMC Sorcerer totally gives the Arcana guys
Ah yes, this argument was my favorite meme

correction
I meant to say Arcanist, not archivist.

Why are you surprised? Rats were already good at both being gunslingers and alchemists.This is the logical conclusion.

They still have a shitty 20 feet base speed.

Why not be a Small tiefling?

I'm not surprised, not by rats being good at both. I am surprised I somehow never noticed they could get the 30ft land speed, could have sworn that wasn't there last time I checked.

ART can get them a good land speed, small tieflings don't get the FCB, and most people would tell you to fuck off. Don't be a faggot 2hu.

SPL@ F@ R@ T@

Just one of those things, user.

Which ART would this be? Was it in a new book?

How do I convince a GM who says cantrips aren't spells that cantrips are spells?

>Wizards can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells
>0-level spells
>spells

>Cantrips
>Wizards can prepare a number of cantrips, or 0-level spells, each day, as noted on Table: Wizard under “Spells per Day.” These spells are cast like any other spell, but they are not expended when cast and may be used again. A wizard can prepare a cantrip from an opposition school, but it uses up two of his available slots (see below).

Seems pretty clear to me.

Already tried that, didn't work.

Well, I was going to call you a huge faggot for not just looking it up yourself, but those trips and the fact that the d20pfsrd for some reason is missing half of the Ratfolk ART's makes me realize this is less spoonfeeding and more an informational dump of "the d20pfsrd is a fucking mess, please remember that the Archive of Nethys exists and has been doing a pretty good job of keeping shit up to date.

It's Surface Sprinter, by the way. You lose Darkvision, but get 30ft land speed and Low-Light Vision. So whether it's worth it depends on what you value more.
archivesofnethys.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ratfolk

Your DM is in all likelihood both illiterate and a lost cause in that case.

Show him the book, on the exact page, then call him illiterate.

If that doesn't work, punch him and leave the group. You don't want to play with this retarded motherfucker

Ah, that helps considerably, thank you. I'll be sure to double-check both sites in the future.

Yea, I often find myself sitting with the d20pfsrd and Nethys (and the for some games the Spheres wiki) all open at the same time during a games, because otherwise I end up missing shit. I feel like a massive fucking autist, but knowing how to reference multiple places is a godsend for this clusterfuck of a game.

are you a get wizard

Man... those all look kinda bad; except Asphodel which just isn't my thing, and Essentia which has an awful timeslot.

Will this suffering never end. ;_;

>Will this suffering never end. ;_;
I mean, eventually all the celebs's games are going to come to a close and they're going to come back thirsty for more. Right?

Then make the game you want to play or shut up.

I like the way you think.

>make the game
>you want to play

Brainlet pls, that's not how it works.

Is the GM also not playing the game?

Then make a game you want to run or find friends.

So, the Wizard of our group has decided to multiclass into Druid at lvl 2 to have a Wolf. Now, I don't know much about druids and wizards, but don't you need heavy investment Druid lvls or else the Pet doesn't lvl up? He also have an Wis score of just 10. Did he waste a lvl? The wolf, is certainly useful for scent, and surely he has some useful spells, but I don't see him being a very good Druid/Wizard.

He can pick up Boon Companion to shore up some levels on the Wolf, but yeah he wasted that level unless he has some plans involving some prestige class later

>nigga could have taken a few feats to get a woof
>instead he has to take even more feats so the woof scales, and he has to deal with multiclassed fullcasters

wow

In his defense he's a noob. I guess he wanted to play as a Druid, or perhaps he played a videogame where this a good choice.

>Druid at lvl 2 to have a Wolf.
Direct him to either the feat chain that already exists for getting a companion, or have him apply an a Mauler Archetype to a dog Familiar

>Feat chain

Is it Animal Ally?

Stale meme

Yes, Animal Ally with Boon Companion

Having 10 Wisdom means he can't cast any Druid spells at all above 0 level, so yes he wasted the level very badly

Are there any gm tools that aren't commercial?
I found maptool and rollisteam, but they're actually focused on online play, I'm just looking to keep track of things

What if I applied to The Fields of Asphodel with a character that was accepted to a bamboozle campaign, citing that they died when the campaign did?

Excel spreadsheets work really nicely

Keep good spreadsheets. They're life savours,

how about lore related stuff?
I'm just currently sorting stuff in text files and directories and I think this is going to end badly in the long run.

If you keep the text files well organized you should be okay. As long you have a quick, reliable way to find any information you're looking for, you're fine.

Put them in decently organised documents (contents included) and you'll be okay. Put links to other documents for additional information rather than including kitchen sink footnotes in everything. Keep lore documents separate from session notes obviously, and potentially separate out general lore from lore that players are likely to know (or keep that in session notes). Brain dump/inspiration documents are good but don't allow them to become a behemoth. Sometimes it's just as important to stop creating more and start ordering what you have.

I know some of this seems like 'well no shit' but it's worth highlighting.

Yeah, it makes a lot more sense.
I'm currently trying to use org-mode with links to see if I can get a sort of wiki-like structure without having to seperate into files

Inner Sea is a pretty good setting right?

Everything about Golarion is terrible.

It's a fine setting as long as you know what you're doing. It's not the best setting, however.

Most people in this thread will blow out of proportion how bad it is.

I started typing out a response to this but then I realized that someone this stupid can never be persuaded that he's wrong.

How do you deal with noobs making bad characters?

It's a good setting as long as you don't think too hard about it, or decided to alter it to make more sense

Well is there a better setting?

You make their characters...?

And avoid non healing spell casters at all costs. A new player doesn't need to be playing a wizzard.

Surely, you can adapt many settings from D&D. After all, Pathfinder is D&D 3.7

If you're not gonna make your own, try pillaging one of the four or five settings from DnD 3.5. I personally recommend Eberron, as it's a setting that actually favors intrigue, making a lot of otherwise shitty options much better for use.

Why is multiclassing such a bad option in Pathfinder?

Because Paizo hates multiclassing.

Progression for most classes is designed to require a lot of level investment.
This was an intentional design choice to combat 3.5's issue that multiclassing was almost always optimal because of class bloat and frontloading.
Whether or not it was a good design choice is a matter of opinion

The short answer.
Class features tend to actually scale with level now.instead of frontloading. The downside to this is that Paizo hating multiclassing as much as they do also leads a bunch of otherwise decent PrCs losing caster levels or not having worthwhile features to compensate.

Whether or not PrCs being dropped in favor of archetypes is also a matter of opinion. The worst part of it is that archetypes are almost always a package and I have to give up decent features when I take an archetype instead of taking only the parts of it that I actually want.

I heard that Thundercaller Bard is broken. Is it true?

no

> Level 7
> move action to do
> 3d8 AoE sonic damage + save vs stun
> standard action to repeat

>app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/93719/welcome-to-north-high
The fuck is this?

Are there any ways of getting new spells for the bard list outside of spell-likes from feats and prestige classes?

Multiclassing diverts from the features frequently needed to keep yourself progressing at the same pace as the encounters you'll be getting into. Now level investment isn't bad, being able to get good toys for putting the levels down on something should be there and with Archetypes, you're meant to be able to get your own flavor of the class you're going in as. Problem here is that a ton of these archetypes suck dick, so you're left with having to juggle more shit than you need to to get an idea to work, frequently at the cost of being behind on valuable features.

The fly in this ointment is that this will likely never go away unless they round up a bunch of people with a comprehensive understanding of the mechanical grounds to the system and have them do a grounds-up job on a new version of the game. This will never happen since the fanbase will tear them a new asshole for taking options, even bad ones away.

Did Mede ever update Gallows?

did Shifter hotfix not drop, or am I blind