Turin kills Glaurung

Turin kills Glaurung
Eärendil kills Ancalagon
Fram kills Scatha
Bard kills Smaug

why is Tolkien such a humanfag?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/25/81079-why-did-tolkien-imagine-only-men-killing-dragons/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because any other race lacks the prepotence to try to kill such a perfect creature.

Don't forget that if you think the Dagor Dagorath stuff is good canon, Turin is going to be revived and kill Morgoth.

But in any case, you should remember that you're not reading what "really happened" for a given value of happened since this is of course fantasy fiction. You're supposed to be reading the stories that a bunch of in character writers wrote about the heroic legends of either their time or long ago times. This means that it's prone to all the bias, ignorance, and flat out lying that you'd get with mythological legends trying to be used to parse out history.

You have HFY in Tolkien because humans and human derivatives like Hobbits wrote most of it.

Tolkien invented the idea of the fantasy race. He didn't invent the idea that all fantasy races are equal in their presence in the world or influence over history. That's a product of D&D, specifically later AD&D where parties with lots of demihumans became common. Take a look at Planescape, where a party of mostly humans is actually the exception rather than the rule. Look at 3e's removal of restrictions on race-class combinations, and at its removal of racial level caps.

Contrast this with race-as-class.

Humans were big damn heroes in Tolkien because that was part of their role in the course of history. Contrast them with hobbits, and especially contrast them with things like ents.

>why is Tolkien such a humanfag?

Because he's the shittiest of the shitty fantasy authors. He just happened to be first, more's the pity.

I'd rather have CS Goto in charge of a fantasy book series than Tolkein. At least Goto can be brief.

>Jeff bezoes tries to read the silmarillion

>Glorfindel kills Gothmog
>Fingolfin bullies Melkor
>Gandalf kills durin's bane
Why is tolkien such an angelfag?

Elves != Maia.

>theonering.net/torwp/2013/10/25/81079-why-did-tolkien-imagine-only-men-killing-dragons/
tl;dr Dragons are creatures of brute force, like men. Meanwhile Balrogs have been slain only by elves and wizards, all creatures of magic.

He wanted to appeal to humans by including strong human characters even in stories that aren't about them.

>Durin carved out Khazad-dûm
>Thráin I founded Erebor
>Gimli colonized the Glittering Caves

Why was Tolkien such a dwarf-fag?

That isn't impressive at all.

What, and getting lucky shot on a big ugly lizard is?

Morgoth fucked poor Turin hard. I think it's good justice that the most fucked person get the final blow. Feanor can help too for all the shit he went through. Even if both of them made a lot of mistakes. That said, Tolkien didn't stick with the Dagor Dagorath anyways, as much as I enjoy it.

In a way I think we lost something special with that.

We also lost the individual elf people with many different backgrounds related to an actual light as the divide between light and dark elves rather than skin. Now we have a dozen variant species of elves.

They even helped dig the Menegroth and Nargothrond.

I can't deny Túrin, master of doom by doom mastered, the final blow on Morgoth,

why would the Dagor Dagorath not be canon?

Because Tolkien moved away from the "secret fake mythology of the British isles" frame tale for the setting. The totally not Ragnarok no longer fitted the setting as it developed, and while its usage and references to such are very prevalent in earlier material, they just get dropped after a while.

yes, it does make sense but still...
Who will avenge the children of Hurin?

Veeky Forums did not become the best board on this website by staying on topic Mr. Newfag.

Plus Veeky Forums is the worst place ever to talk about literature on the internet.

Veeky Forums generally reeeeees at genre fiction, especially fantasy, and certainly doesn't care about dragon slaying or fantasy races. Why is Veeky Forums so fucking horrible? Who hurt them? Why did they have to scare that booktuber?

Humans are superior

Because elves are shit and dwarves are morons.

I feel that Veeky Forums is the place where people who think that classical music is the only real kind of music go so they can then shit on people for not reading "real" books.

how dumb do you have to be to think that tolkien was the first (or even first famous) fantasy writer?

because he shaped fantasy as we know it?
Conan is pulp, and pulp generally has comic book levels of consistent worldbuilding

All the important Human characters like Beren and Aragorn are self-inserts who get the pretty Elf girls

Since when is Eowyn an elf girl?

lol the fact that conan can be classified as pulp has nothing to do with WHAT IT HAS OBJECTIVELY DONE TO SHAPE FANTASY IN THE PAST

are you a time traveler from the 50s or something talking as if conan and howard "will never leave a mark in writing"?

this is the future user and we are talking about these things with perfect 20/20 hindsight. the modern idea of fantasy and quests were 100% created by howard, not tolkien. it doesnt matter how many retards like you think otherwise

you mention world building and tolkien...as if so many modern fantasy writers are taking the time to invent languages for their setting in the spirit of tolkien? or writing bibles for their settings? tolkien also did the smallest amount of world building possible (outside of language and his bible). critics even called him out on it and his response was that hes writing a STORY first and foremost, not a historical document. this is in line with how annoyed he was that people treated epic like beowulf as pure historical documents without understanding that they were written primarily as stories to entertain, only after understanding that can we glean bits of history from it

whenever people talk about tolkiens "world building" its basically a sure sign that they are a tryhard faggot whos never even read the books

And Tuor. His cousin Turin even almost got an elf girl, though the dragon screwed him up and he married his amnesiac sister who he had found on the elf's grave. Something about that one family tree with a bunch of elves and humans that keep getting together is kinda funny. Forest-fever is heritable I guess.

I'd say that Tolkien inserted more as a comfy hobbit or a war weary man than he did take the important leader of men role as fitting himself: the kingly aspect wasn't were he inserted, it was the PTSD moments that show him most clearly.

You bring up a good point. Faramir is important and he married a human woman. Most humans do, it's just the one line of heroes.

faramir and his family do have an elf in their past though. a lot more recently than aragorn does actually

He's also an admitted self-insert of Tolkien, which is why I mentioned him specifically.

>mfw I go to try and check his family tree for elf names to see if I can remember who you're talking about
>mfw I forgot everyone's damn names are sindarin anyways
Fuck I'm dumb. Who is that?

Dwarves wasted dragons regularly up in the north.

i forget since i dont have it with me. when that family fled the sinking of numenor they supposedly hooked up with an elf as soon as they got to shore and settled. youre probably looking at the stewards family tree but its older than that

>He just happened to be first

*blocks your path*
*spends 30 pages describing the ring im wearing on my left pinky finger*
*goes on epic adventure and fucks the purest virgin in existence*
*respects the manly virtues of my bitterest enemies*
*kills you and subjugates your lands*
*become so bored with not having waves of people to massacre that i contemplate suicide*

knotthinge pursonalee ciid

ok found it for you

>When an Elven stronghold was abandoned, those Gondorians came to occupy it, and named it Dol Amroth after the drowning of the Elven King Amroth. The first Prince of Dol Amroth was Galador, who, according to legend, was the son of Mithrellas, an Elf maid.[3] This supposed elven strain was noticed in Imrahil many years later by Legolas.[4]

>Mithrellas was a Silvan Elf who, according the tradition of the House of Angelimir, accompanied Nimrodel from Lothlórien on her journey to the southern havens. Mithrellas, it is said, became lost in the woods of Dor-en-Ernil, where she was found by Imrazôr the Númenórean, who married her. So Elvish blood entered the line of the Princes of Dol Amroth, it was claimed, and her son Galador became the first of the long line of Princes. Mithrellas also bore Imrazôr a daughter, Gilmith.[1][2] After the birth, she ran away at night and was never seen again.[3]

its on boromirs maternal side

>find elf in woods
>get to marry her

Now we know why outdoor fags like hiking so much

>find she-elf in woods
>rape her
>she runs away
>its a romantic story about the good stock of your family line

too bad imrahil is a filthy cuck middle-man lover. rohans horses are of better stock than their men!

Humans were the only race without a predestiny, this was their gift, which allowed them to accomplish many great and terrible things

It doesn't say it was rape, she was his wife. She probably just got bored after as while

>rape her
>she runs away

They had TWO KIDS.

>rape her twice
>she runs away

>rape once
>she runs
>notfastenough.jpeg
>gets it twice

Tolkien's elves might as well be angels, though. They're created by big daddy Iluvatar for specific purpose, they're immortal, they (especially the older generations like most of the notable elves) are extremely powerful.

men were also directly created and their souls may even be more powerful in a way

Hell, bodies too. Beren beats up Sauron in those later poems contained in Beren and Luthien.

Turin turambar turun ambartanen

>Conan is pulp, and pulp generally has comic book levels of consistent worldbuilding
how to spot an idiot who's never read Conan

>Tolkien invented the idea of the fantasy race.
that isn't anywhere near true. there was fantasy before tolkien, in case you don't know.

Don't respond to meming faggots.

DAGNIR GLAURUNGA

If I were to post a thread on Veeky Forums right now about a novel that is clearly literature and not a traditional game, would it be deleted for being off topic? Either it's allowed or it's not allowed.

What was it called besides Conan or Grey Mouser?

>How to spot a faggot who's never read an actual Conan book

Read George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin, and Phantastes, and think about your question again. Both of those are written on 185?, so they are predating tolkien by quite a few years. There are also others before Tolkien. Tolkien made fantasy mainstream, that why he's often seen as the creator of the genre, but that's just lack of knowledge.