2000AD - Ampney Crucis Investigates

The year is 1928. Lord Ampney Crucis was a dashing young man, tipped to rise to the top of high society. But the Great War took an even greater toll on him than others of his generation, and a close encounter with something awful in no man's land drove Crucis quite mad. Upon recuperation he discovered that he had the ability to sense the presence of entities that lurk beyond the veil of our reality. Now Ampney, aided by his loyal butler Eddie Cromwell, investigate the rum goings-on that have begun to plague our green and pleasant land...
youtube.com/watch?v=L7ZrWOGIbIE

Ampney Crucis Investigates is a series of occult detective stories that began in the British comic anthology 2000AD in 2008, one part P. G. Wodehouse and one part H. P. Lovecraft. Like the author’s previous comic, Leviathan (storytimed here a few weeks ago ), Ampney Crucis Investigates could be very easily adapted for an absurdly English game of Call of Cthulhu, where the traditional betentacled beasties from beyond are supplemented with a variety of other eldritch abominations, and lunatic cultists can pop up in the most unexpected of places...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xgarw2UrPwg
youtube.com/watch?v=r9IxzSTTYmA
youtube.com/watch?v=k4LEVZwmoOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=08Lx1kwGF1w
youtube.com/watch?v=CXgcLk6jOwg
rhs.org.uk/Plants/1715/Aspidistra-elatior/Details
mediafire.com/file/l6jvr613bsscwpn/2000AD_#1611-1616_Ampney_Crucis_Investigates_-_Vile_Bodies.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=XIeqj3VIKHY
youtube.com/watch?v=nUnIe2tVUrU
cromerpier.co.uk/cromer-pier-show/
youtube.com/watch?v=GWH0H0vA3EA
youtube.com/watch?v=7-dB513LGbM
nationalgallery.org.uk/artists/william-hogarth
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/4173812.stm
youtube.com/watch?v=QvCo4UwoP1M
mediafire.com/file/xcxxs7jmj9yfrvp/2000AD_#1666-1671_&_Prog_2010_Ampney_Crucis_Investigates_-_The_End_of_the_Pier_Show.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=eO139V8M_n0&index=3&list=PL352CD7549EB26C62&ab_channel=Mikurio
youtu.be/Zuf__PZc5bE?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62
youtu.be/VTX-0t9GLkY?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62
youtu.be/fwuzr7JV1x4?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The song The Honeysuckle And The Bee was first published in 1901 but was still very popular decades later.
youtube.com/watch?v=xgarw2UrPwg

Off to a flying start.

I did contemplate doing this last week for Remembrance Sunday, but thought on balance it would be in poor taste.

Crumbs.

If anyone is reading along (and I'm aware its slow going, captcha is being beastly) would you mind please bumping from time to time?

It’s a lovely day in Camberwick Green.
youtube.com/watch?v=r9IxzSTTYmA
youtube.com/watch?v=k4LEVZwmoOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=08Lx1kwGF1w

That’s an interesting design on his cigarette case.

>Chaufferin’ for some Ladyship now.
youtube.com/watch?v=CXgcLk6jOwg

"Howzat!" is a traditional exclamation in Cricket as a short form of "how's that" - a call for an umpire to declare whether a batsman has been knocked out or not.

The White Hart Line, owned and operated by Sir William Ashbless, would launch their vast new ship “Leviathan” in 1928. Its maiden voyage was not, shall we say, all smooth sailing. .

I don’t know what they seem so perturbed about, this looks like a perfectly wholesome village ‘round our way.

For the sake of sensitive members of the viewing public, the Ministry for Moral Hygiene have expertly doctored some of the following pages. We trust you will enjoy these improvements, no matter how minor they may be.

>Unhand that man you wretched proletarian bastards!

I'm sure you can, Mr Cromwell.

I do enjoy it when the insane high priest of the Dark Gods is a genial sort.

rhs.org.uk/Plants/1715/Aspidistra-elatior/Details

Golly. I don't know if this should be censored or not.

"In the Kingdom of the Blind, the One Eyed Man is King"...

mediafire.com/file/l6jvr613bsscwpn/2000AD_#1611-1616_Ampney_Crucis_Investigates_-_Vile_Bodies.cbr

Next time: A day out at the seaside!

>That’s an interesting design on his cigarette case.
I feel like taking a cruise.

Good show! Let's have another!

Motherfu-

I had no idea the Leviathan canon extended outside of that story.

I do believe you're in luck, sir, there's a rather large boat leaving for New York this year.

Keep an eye out, there's more to see. So to speak.

But of course, Sir. Might I suggest we bring out the good china and a fine ceylon? Or perhaps an iced cream might be more apropos under the circumstances?

When you are told a really funny joke.

1929!

His lordship is keeping well, sustained by the bonds of familial kinship, centuries of good breeding, and a butler who can make a delightful vodka butter.

Alas, matters of the heart cut keenly, especially when they appertain to one's lost loves and wretched gingers.

You might recognise Ampney's aunts as grand dames of the stage - Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton, Joanna Lumley and Helen Mirren (contemplating a breakfast meat in a most provocative manner)

youtube.com/watch?v=XIeqj3VIKHY

The Silent Hill motion picture (and perhaps even the games) would be immeasurably improved with these fine fellows as the protagonists.

Yay! More storytime!

youtube.com/watch?v=nUnIe2tVUrU

Blacksands and its attractions is a combination of many British seaside resorts, primarily Blackpool. The title of this story "The End of the Pier Show" refers to the in-house theatre and variety acts which used to run on almost all pleasure piers during the Summer and Winter holiday seasons. Today, only one still survives
cromerpier.co.uk/cromer-pier-show/
youtube.com/watch?v=GWH0H0vA3EA

Balderdash and piffle, I meant to link to this delightful little number - I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside, played by Reginald Dixon, resident organist at the Wurlitzer at Blackpool Tower Ballroom
youtube.com/watch?v=7-dB513LGbM

The video also has colour footage of Blackpool pleasure beach in 1926, if you wanted to get a flavour for what the real place looked like at the time the story is set.

I actually have all of Ampney Crucis (including the two or three which I've never storytimed before) and while it won't be immediately after this one ends I'm hoping to do some more later.

And while I remember, thank you for bumping and keeping the thread alive.

I also forgot to note in William Hogarth was an English painter, print-maker and satirist who is most famous for his f 'modern moral subjects', particularly A Harlot's Progress, A Rake's Progress and Marriage A-la-Mode. 'Hogarthian' tends to refer to this kind of comically debauched behaviour
nationalgallery.org.uk/artists/william-hogarth

I will happily provide bumps

I have no idea what this poor girl is saying but it sounds diabolically Hunnish!

I'm very grateful. I don't know about anyone else, but I really enjoy the audience participation bit of storytimes.

Hopefully it and the commentary isn't too distracting.

Beer before liquor makes you sicker!

A toast: To the greatest British hero and his trusty dog. Huzzah!

What does "cosy" mean in this context? Secretive?

I would say in context its the normal meaning - warm, homely, comfortable, pleasant - to contrast it with the normal associations of the word "Coven" and to give it a nice bit of alliterative oomph. The witches are nice old ladies operating out of a small terraced house cum B&B. Were it not for the whole "accidentally raising the psychotic armies of the dead" thing, the worst you could say about them is that the lodge smells faintly of wee.

A googly is another cricketing term for a kind of backhanded throw.
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/4173812.stm

Thanks again for storytime, this is really good

While this would all work well for Call of Cthulu, this particular plot point would also work well for Dark Heresy or, from the other side, Black Crusade.

>Postage stamps incomi-

"I'd like to lick the Queen's behind" and similar vulgarities will not be tolerated.

There is actually a little bit of a pattern to the ones I picked

I am Harriet Vane. We all are Harriet Vane

Good lord, Bolsheviks AND Fenians you say? The horror.

youtube.com/watch?v=QvCo4UwoP1M

The Union Jack never inspired such ire since the Revolutionary War

Tomorrow, Eldritch Overlords of the Between-Spaces willing, we can move on to the next chapter: Ten Little Indians on an Airship with a Lovecraftian twist!

mediafire.com/file/xcxxs7jmj9yfrvp/2000AD_#1666-1671_&_Prog_2010_Ampney_Crucis_Investigates_-_The_End_of_the_Pier_Show.cbr

thank you for positng opuie, fun read. But this reminds me of a question, where do i find scans for 2000 ad?

Is the guy just a really bad artist or did he go the lazy draw over real people route cause this is disgusting.

youtube.com/watch?v=eO139V8M_n0&index=3&list=PL352CD7549EB26C62&ab_channel=Mikurio

1920's music appreciation thread?

I feel like shotgunning shoggoths to this one.
youtu.be/Zuf__PZc5bE?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62

And one more, for the wild, unspeakable monster orgies afterward.
youtu.be/VTX-0t9GLkY?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62

youtu.be/fwuzr7JV1x4?list=PL352CD7549EB26C62

thank you op

AWW GAWWD
Stop, just fucking stop, this comic is awful!
What the fuck where you thinking?

I should renew my sub to 2000AD.