Make way grey miniatures! /WIP/ has arrived!

Make way grey miniatures! /WIP/ has arrived!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIKEfVoqC5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sorry about the missing title, been a while since I made a /WIP/ thread.

i was going to get these for my GSC army but i noticed there is no 25mm bases in the kit so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on replacing them all together or any ideas on what i can do for 25mm if i do decide to still get them

>hear great things about W&N series 7 brushes
>order one for myself and one for whoever my secret santa partner is
>brushes arrive like this
They have a nice tip when wet, but it doesn't hold when dry. I was under the impression that they should. Any users have advice? Should I ask dickblick to replace them?

They shouldn't arrive like that.

yeah get that shit replaced

Query: What are some nice washes to apply to gold? So red, brown and yellow are obvious ones, what else do you use or have seen that are neat?

Was wondering about that recently too.
Saw a light purple one that wasn't bad, blue might be interesting to try too.

Might be worth it to just play around with some various light glazes to test

if you paint the Necromunda bases in the same scheme you could get away with using those.

Though you could also look into resin bases from a 3rd party or even base toppers. Those will usually come in all base sizes and fit together.

Necromunda is going to come out with 25mm industrial bases that you can buy separately.

i was actually looking at the necromunda ones and was wondering if they would fit in well enough
thanks for the suggestions

>Sorry about the missing title, been a while since I made a /WIP/ thread.

Just do what I do, user: freak out and get self-conscious about it until you're second-guessing yourself and check the thread title multiple times (same way you honk your car alarm more than once, "just to be sure") before you click "post".

I thought about purple, could be interesting. Blue is a little too cold for what i'm doing, but might be good for somethign else, I guess green would work too.

What are some ideas to use glazes to paint my Crisis Suits better?

5th attempt at trying to git gud with NMM metal. After getting some advice from some of you helpful anons, I managed to find The Sanguinor NMM Gold painting guide white dwarf issued (issue #364) and tried to follow that.

Gonna have to try again, maybe add more glazes of yellow over the highlighted surfaces as well as learn more on how reflections work.

tried painting up a model from each shadespire faction before I paint the rest of the warbands.
stormcast don't count

Looking pretty good. Think I saw an earlier version and this one is far superior

You made a lot of progress so far, though. Good for you.
Tired of staring at his nipples yet?

Skin tones on that barbarian dude.

Nice work. Also enjoy the pale skin on the ork.
Really lovely stuff.

Thanks hoping to get it down pat next time and maybe complete the mini.

As if anyone could ever grow tired of starring at the pristine perky nipples of a son of Sanguinus.

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

I hope so, there aren't really any kits that come with just 25mm bases, unlike 32mm ones. And since I'm going with an urban/industrial look for my guard, it'll work just fine.

My personal favorite is to shade with Reikland Fleshade. It give a very vibrant shade that i find quite good looking.

I was thinking to try and blend and shade gradually.
And maybe some weapon effects

Much better. I knew the Sanguinr tutorial could be useful, it's the reference for NMM gold on GW products.

I've noticed that every time a GW scheme lists paint colors, the highlighting is always a layer paint. Would using a base paint to highlight not work, for some reason?

No. Those charts can be useful but the layer paints are just a bit thinner.

Does anyone have any advice for painting heat discolouration? Specifically on copper coloured metallics? Also, purple plasma coils, what colours make it look good? Made my weapon casings Caliban Green for a change and I don't like the blue coils with it.

pic related is my test piece

Good to know
You just saved me from buying some extraneous paint

>heat discolouration

youtube.com/watch?v=jIKEfVoqC5U

That's what I've been using, decent results but since he explicitly mentions silver, I wondered if there were any tricks to copper.

Dunno if its any good on copper or bronze, but this might help

Well that looks good, if I ever get an airbrush, I'll give that a go.

I'm starting a nid army soon and I want to do it in pic related colors, how would you guys recommend doing it?

For the plate, I'd say Waaagh! Flesh with some light white highlighting. The skin would probably be white with a veeery thin green wash.

the fur on the ork looks chalky. needs a wash

Finished my first unit for aos/fantasy!
How do they look?

What you said, but ceramite white for the skin, and pallid wych flesh for the highlights.

Here's a nice photo of them ranked up

>Ceramite White
Undercoat maybe. But Pallid Wych Flesh for skin, Ulthulan Grey for highlights. Never coat white.

They look pretty good! I'd give the lion cloaks different colours for the face, mane, and fur. A brighter highlight on the gold/bronze would be good. And the method you've used on the banner isn't appropriate IMO. Drybrushing is great for natural textures, or strong existing ones eg. fur, stone, chainmail. But blending is better for flowing fabric - the banner looks unnatural as a result.

They look great, keep it up user!

I guess Ill save all that for next time, especially that banner bit, thanks!

>extraneous

Been spamming this guy for a few weeks now on progress but I can finally say now I am done fucking with him and am finally feeling good with how he looks.

Can't wait to actually paint him but have to wait till January. Besides the Primaris armor I think it's a pretty good Malakim Phoros deception.

The Nid is gonna be painted with the Hive Fleet Kraken colour-scheme.

?

I'm in love with this tank.
It's coming along

Requesting any good and reliable bits for Claymore Swords compatible with Space Marines, I need them for my Homebrew Chapter

Empire greatswords or the two-handed grey knight swords

Finally bought my paints, tomorrow I paint my first models in over 10 years. It is a good feeling, just hope I don't mess up.
yes I did get the moldlines and unfortunately no I will not drill the barrel

So, anyone here have a white dwarf subscription? How consistently are they worth paying for?

I'm considering a sub, but don't wanna fork over $90 if only one of the issues is going to be useful.

Good luck, user! What are you painting? What have you painted before? Why don't you like drilled barrels?

Anyone here know how well Army Painter metallics go through an airbrush?

Converted some dark vengeance termies into deathwing knights. they need a bit of a polish, what do you guys think?

it's probably piratable

Nice if you had the spare bits lying around, bit of a waste for the sergeant/assault cannon otherwise. Hoped you saved those bits for future use.

Also holy shit, DWK look way better with the terminator helmet.

pdfs are posted regularly.

Pirate that shit it is then.

Started on my next shadespire boy, I thought I'd be good and block out all the colours, try and speed myself up. So obviously I got distracted doing a single shoulder pad

Can I prime plastic and resin models with leadbelcher spray or do I have to use something else first?

spray away

just go to walmart and buy some cheap krylon metallics. It'll go on just as well if not better and be a 3rd the cost.

Those don't prime the model though.

>Empire greatswords

THICC

yeah they do, what kind of spray cans are you buying? Krylon and other car brands put GW's variety to shame.

Hi there, OP for the original ask for the Claymores, what do you mean by Thicc?

I've used Leadbelcher successfully, I actually think it's one of the better sprays.

Pretty sure that's just a paint and not a primer, but apparently a few people have had good experiences with it.

I think Anvil Industry has some nice bases that aren't too expensive

Finished my ork warband, what you guys think?

I like it at a technical level but the colour scheme is very Mcdonalds to me

Almost done with basecoating this guy, first time I painted an eye, but it's easier than I expected (as long as you haven't applied washes yet)

Every single space marine look better with a helmet.

goddammit i tried so hard to avoid christmas orks and now people are coming out with mcdonalds?

please dont mention it again or i will be very sad :(

You mean you didn’t order a Supa Nob sized McBeatdown? Oops

now i kinda want to greenstuff a little happy meal and give it my megaboss as a trinket

Dare I say, like user here, that I'm lovin' it?

Starting with bases first this time. I think I dry brushed too much.

So fucking sexy unhooded

I think it looks good mate. Are you gonna add some blood, shade or dirt to break up the grey
?

Was shaded twice before I over dry brushed. Will add some blood after I put the Reavers on it so I can have splatter/drip under their axes

Good work user, I know the pain of gold NMM. My advice is to go with high contrast or you will end with a creamy looking armor like I did.

I think these are sick, fast food or otherwise.
I'm at a loss as what to do with my shadespire orks. All my other guys so far match the cards but the all yellow armor looks meh. Maybe if I do them in black/metal with yellow accents they'd be close enough to cards and still not completely garrish.
Still dig your models though.

Loving this models, but im really tired of the feathers. Also, I need advice on the "feline" part. I was thinking going with a tiger scheme but I really dont know. Any thoughts?

Green washes are your friend.

Sure, go a head. I use Corax White and the grey GW spray, and they are fine to paint on after spraying.

I think it's just a colored primer basically.

HNNNNNNGGGG, there goes no nut november.

Alright! Lers get this project going! Long story short I'm making a tau/kroot killteam and planning to use beastmen parts with them. Im still waiting for my kroots to be chopped up but here are few things I tried with with stuff found from the bits box.

Fire warriors are a bit small for Gors, but fine for Ungors imo.

Maybe use stealth suit bits like picture related. Not mine.

This is small time, do something proper.
I dare you, motherfucker!

Oooh, that looks much better! Need to see if I can find some. Thanks for the tip!

My other plan os to try and see how kroot arms fit to gor bodies and possibly use them like that.

>missed a really obvious moldline somehow
haha time for some tricky photography angles

I wish I had the required skills and money to do it...

Love it. I really dig the colorful, comic-like look! I'm still in love with 2nd edition 40k Orks exactly because of their not so grim, but funny character.

Throwing ideas, you could do away with the cat family totally and copy some ungulates. Giraffes and baby tapirs come to mind.

NONE PURER

Here's a rough attempt at making basic gor body bit more armored/hightechy. Going to follow Tau guide lines on armour panels.

wow those look really good. What models?

Very nice!