media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/;
Why is warlock denied of gate spell to summon their patron (fiend)?

STOP MAKING THESE SHIT THREADS WITH PERSONAL QUESTIONS

DOES YOUR DUMB ASS SERIOUSLY THINK YOU CAN GATE SOMEONE ON PATRON POWER LEVEL? THAT THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET TO THE PRIME MATERIAL ON THEIR OWN? HOLY SHIT

Fiend don't you, stupid asshole.

dude devils cant come to the prime unless someone summons them. they don't have the power to summon themselves so they cant give you that power

Dice Camera Action is currently on and the party has stepped through to Sigil, so it seems like we'll be getting Planescape material in the future.

How do fiend summoning cult do it anyway then?

Can we do something about this troll who keeps making these generals early?

By using a McGuffin. Duh.

In my game, I have 3 McGuffins that my cult is trying to get. They have two, but the party has safeguarded 1 of them so they are devising a plan to get it back.

I'm thinking about kidnapping of their allies/friends while they are away in another nation. Not 100% sure quite yet though.

Bet a wizard made these McGuffin.

There are permanent gates in the Abyss and Hells. They don't just cast "lemme go to the prime material". Any fiend powerful enough to be a good patron should know of these gates and how to activate them from their end.

Two were forged by demons, devils, and ancient cultist. One was made by a Wizard though.

If a person who has War Caster has their hands full with something that is not a Shield or weapon (Like a heavy crate, table, or is grappling two people) can they still cast spells that only require Verbal and Somatic components?

read the feat

t. Crawford

Why don't we all play Dungeon World if D&D pisses us all off so much?

Because we're not all autistic.

Pick a fun mechanical set-up and then build a personality bsaed on that. Building the personality is fun, and usually once there's a mechanic-fluff pairing of, say, X class and Y character and backstory and sometimes even after doing that I'd be more willing to change the mechanics than change the story.

So ultimately the start doesn't really matter to me, it seems. However, I find that mechanics first is a good idea because there's a chance 5e might not be suitable for moddling a character idea, whereas you'll never fail to model a character based on mechanics drawn from 5e.

>not Open Legend so you can roll 48 at level one

Because dungeon world is shit and it isn't Shadow of the Demon Lord

I guess not! Thanks, user.

What weapon should a Horizon Walker use?

D&D doesn't piss me off. I'd still like to game with /5eg/ though.

To be fair though, the feat implies that spellcasting is impossible if EITHER of your hands has an item in it. Which is contradicted elsewhere in the rules. It's not well-worded.

As long as it's an item you could reasonably lift and throw, it can be an improvised weapon and therefore qualify.

Is it an improvised weapon? Then yes, they can.

Greatsword and/or Bow

Anyone have a D&D Beyond rip for the Player's Handbook?

So this would be a no with grappling two people. I could do this with a Shield in one hand and potion bottle in the other due to the bottle technically being an improvised weapon.

What are some ways to use a shield as a weapon? Besides captain america shit. All i can think of is backhanding people with it

Bow or rapier & shield
Two handed if you can get 14 dex with good wis str and con or heavy armor

The following is a dumb idea, and not worth the hassle of running. But for the sake of knowing just how dumb it is: what do you think of treating archetypes as a shitty skill tree, by being able to dip into multiple archetypes past level 2; i.e. Fighter 4 (Champion 1/Battlemaster 1?)

Shield bash, jab, deflect and parrygit gud.

Put some spikes on it? Get Shield Master and ask your DM if the shove bonus action attack can also add 1d4/1 extra piercing damage or something.

It is not optimal, but I'm doing a two weapon fighting Horizon Walker

You're basically just allowing people to multiclass into one of their own classes at that point.

>One hand is holding something important, like a shield, lantern, or the mcguffin you cannot absolutely drop.
>Try to cast a spell
>somatic, no material components
>have to drop wand on the floor to cast a spell
CRAWFORDDD

What ranger sublcass is the most powerful?

Going to play a Tabaxi Warlock today, this is my group's second game after LMoP and we're going to try and make it a long lasting one. Any tips for how to play a Tabaxi?

>Sea Elves and Shadar-kai

Awesome

I'm designing paladin oaths based on each of the seven deadly sins (weird setting). I've done a couple, but I'm having trouble coming up with features for Envy. I want one channel ability to be a sort of temporary ability score drain, but other than that I don't really know what to do for the rest of it. Any ideas?

It's okay, your DM will literally never call you on this because no one memorizes the components of spells or the full spellcasting rules. What few limitations there are on spellcasters no one bothers with.

Seems very unoptimal. You have 3 bonus actions abilities/spells at level 3, and 2 of them can be used every single turn

At least one cat pun per session, but no more than three.

In the dark, Gloom Stalker. Everywhere else is Monster Slayer for consistency. But the XGE subclasses are extremely close to eachother so just pick whatever flavor you like most.

There should be a ranger subclass that gets multiple bonus actions

Good plan. Should I go for a bladelock or chainlock? I don't care about being optimised, but damn would I like to rip off Balan.

I know, I just like the image, but,I'm v human and got the duel wielder feat or whatever it's called so I use a rapier as my main hand weapon

what patron?

You can use one in both hands, not just the main hand

At this point either Archfey or Undying, not sure. If I decide Bladelock then I'll just go Hexblade with some rip off Undying fluff.

Remind me why the Eldritch Knight's bonded weapon does not count as a spellcasting focus again? Is it cause you teleport it back to your hands after you drop it?

Sweet, I just checked and yeah I misread it

How dickish is a trap that fires disintegration rays down a hallway, if the trap can be bypassed with minor thought and reading a warning before they go in?

Does the sign say Warning: Disintegration ahead or something similar?
In that case it's perfectly alright.

What level party

Honestly, should I even bother with any direct damage stuff as a Glamour Bard for my 2 free choicw spells? The class has literally no directly offensive spell past level 2 but has access to a million healing and support options that I feel might be best to make the entire focus of the character, even as the choice spells.

My only concern is fighting a high Wisdom/charm immune enemy, since most spells focused on buffing allies rather than hindering foes tend to be concentration.

It's in a more poetic way but basically yeah, there are also a few conspicuous piles of dust just past the activation range.

one of my players is a renowned dumbass though so I still expect him to disregard the warning and get smoked

If your players miss the warning and go down the hall, try to shenanigan it so that it's targeting the character with the best dex save. That way they can (hopefully) dodge the bullet and find another path, rather than just rolling a new character.

A pile of dust in a dungeon isn't exactly conspicuous, though. Dungeons are pretty dusty by definition unless its denizens paid for a top-notch maid service.

>8
Are you fucking serious

I should add perma death isn't actually an issue as for plot reasons the entire party are revenants. It's mostly just a matter of their gear would be gone and finding where the fuck someone who died revived at But I know it's usually losing gear rather than losing life that annoys a lot of people more. Apologies for not including important info in the initial question, it's nearly 5am and I'm tired

Is there anyway to raise my Chain Familiar's save DC?

Envy is a bit of a difficult one to represent. Maybe make the drain, since the concept of stealing, give the enemy disadvantage on all saves while you gain advantage? Limiting it to saves makes landing actual spells easier but won't affect teir potential to punch hard. Alternatively, just make it a bond that lets you drain 1d4+modifier per turn as a bonus action which you gain as temporary HP, once per long rest.

Another gimmicky thing you could do is giving the paladin an inspiration die until the end of his next turn if an ally wins a check after he himself failed a save or lost a check, a number of times per short/long? rest equal to charisma mod. Would be similar to how a bard does it but only for the pala and fits being envious of even your friends.

then go to bed dumbass

Would an animated skeleton of a creature retain its fleshy movement speeds?
Say, a the skeleton of a burrowing creature can burrow, a skeleton of a bird could fly, or more specifically the remains of millions of microscopic organisms calcified into a carbonate rock retaining a swim speed.
I could argue a rock is just a bunch of death things and animate it no?

This is important for reasons.

Lads, do you prefer permadeath, death that is incredibly difficult to cure, or death as nothing more than a particularly expensive status condition?

"It's not necromancy, it's a construct!" - No.
If actual necromancy, well sure, unless the DM has something super specific to their setting about how necromancy works.

Sure, if your DM is fine with magic bending the rules of logic and stuff flying or swimming because of it.
Keep in mind that you would need to animate literally thousands of dead things tho.

Which patron would fit a Tome warlock with war caster, shillelagh, clubs and 1 fighter lvl for Two Weapon Fighting?
I'm lacking imagination and I just learned about XGE today.

Short of True Polymorph, not really. Unless you wanted to use a stat increase tome on it.

Incredibly difficult with lasting complications

>tfw most settings aren't Eberron

I just want the only way to fix my dead friend is going to the Pope in the Vatican.

The last with diminishing returns/increasing difficulty.

My party has been kinda gung-ho with reviving various NPCs, which now lead to the god of death telling our cleric when he died once to stop fucking reviving shit and that he's chalking up every single soul stolen away back into life on the cleric's list and that he'll suffer equally to all those souls combined.
Said cleric was then promptly rescued from the realm of death and revived by a young goddess that ascended just a few months prior which we already knew as a human, converting him to her first paladin and champion.

Depends on the type of campaign, really. If it's made clear from the beginning that it's a meat grinder campaign, permadeath is fine. If it's a big sweeping epic, I prefer expensive but possible resurrection. It's important to not go too overboard though, because if the party acquires too much dosh they can theoretically stop seeing death as a punishment. The goal is to get players to act like their deaths could be permanent and stop doing stupid shit cause they'll just respawn.

So how should Session 0 go? I had a table full of noobs and we barely got to background. Five players, two PhBs and phones. Have to go through a 6th outside of game night. Nobody is related, nobody knows anyone, only one person finished their background questionnaire and only one person wrote out their weapons. Everybody is horribly optimized (cleric maxed INT because she wants to learn and know everything but refuses to play a wiz because the PhB says they're power hungry or something she doesn't like, got a dragonborn druid and a STR monk (let's not and say we did because all of last thread)

I'm regretting bringing the INT cleric player because she is playing the exact same fucking player as last time and chose cleric over ooa pally, bard, non-combat-wiz and then fucking stacks INT because of her background.

Fuck I'm done, session 0 can suck a dick, that shit sucks when your players are noobs.

What's a good magic item to keep my Monk warm so that she can still wear her belly dancer outfit even in the cold?

>starting a campaign exclusively with beginners
>with not enough PHBs
>or incentive to prepare
>they aren't even all friends
Nigga what are you doing?

There's literally two items off the top of my head that do specifically that. You didn't even check the magic item list, did you?

>So how should Session 0 go?

Session 0 should always be Q&A between the players and DM over sheet construction and party composition, followed by a discussion of your character and who they are.

There's some Ring of Heat or something that prevents you from feeling cold.
Could even make that ring a belly button piercing for that extra jingle.

death is the natty result of stoopid players

my players asked what happens when we die? yesterday. and I said, well you get to roll a new character. think of it as an opportunity to try something different.

without risk there is no reward. playing an immortal >there is always a raise dead scroll laying around game is bullshit. also I never had a better table than after I accidentally killed one of their characters. I'm glad this group had the foresight to ask, usually they find out the hard way.

do the need attunement?

Ring of Warmth

Look it up yourself or ask your DM to do so in his book real quick.

>death is the natty result of stoopid players

I just want to come out and say I really love it when my characters die, since they tend to do so after everyone's grown attached to them and it's during a particularly climactic battle.

Everyone loves the Gandalf and Boromir, but nobody wants to *be* the Gandalf and Boromir, you know what I mean?

...but user, my next character is going to be a Str based Monk with a greatsword and plate (cleric 1/monk x) and it's gonna be fun on a bun.

i'm seriously excited to do this

playing 5e the only way I can, by running the game

well we did it right just fucking slow as fucking hell

assuming you pass your investigative checks etc you'll learn well there is the _______ of eternal warming
it's also rumored to have been last seen on dude venturing into the frozen arctic wastelands in an attempt to reach the _______ and was never seen nor heard from again.
the good news is you just have to go north from anywhere and you'll get there in a few months.

Gandalf didn't die he just went from level 10 to 11 riding on solo balrog XP

My char just died after almost 2 years and everyone still keeps mentioning him constantly.
Our dwarf barbarian was always bullying me and arguing with me about stuff and is now the one nagging literally every day that we need to find out what the fuck happened to me becausr my body turned to dust after I was killed and is generally super sad about the char being gone.

What wizard school would most likely wear revealing clothing?

>replying with a screencap of rules for an user who's too stupid to read a fucking book
Hey while you're at it could you tell me what level wizards get 4th level spells? Thanks in advance.

yeah but he's rolling next to naked with no weapon.

seriously I think I need to have a son I'm disappointed conversation with most of my players before we start and this shit winds up etched in stone.

7th.

necro for sure. evil bitches love black skullkinis

Evocation, to minimize their clothes getting in the way.

Enchantment seems like the school perverts would use

Illusion, because mindfuckery can always just make you look different, Enchantment, because they're usually just Bard-rejects for being nerds anyway or Necromancers because those sick fucks need to distract people from noticing that they smell like a fucking corpse 24/7.

>Skullkinis
>A wardrobe malfuction every time they go "epepepep"

Is Celestial patron alright if I want to run this instead of making an Hexblade from the ground up?

>Illusion Wizard exhibitionists who walk around naked under Disguise Self

>mfw my character's death becomes the flashpoint for the main quest