Elder Dragon Highlander/Commander General

EDH /edhg/ Tribal Edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What tribes need more support?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-20-4/
furaffinity.net/user/firefeathers/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-staxdos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No tribe needs more support. Tribes are a crutch for people that can't build decks. You just throw all cards of the X tribe on a pile, pick the ones that buff the tribe X the most and your deck is done.

2nd for waifus a shit

i'm a fan of the more subtle "tribal" stuff where the lords and what have you synergize with an ability that creatures of the type commonly have.

Olivia, Mobilized for War doesn't buff all your vamps, but a ton of vampires from the set were aggressive creatures with madness, so she fit in perfectly in a deck with them.

I'd like to see more of that.

I want to build a shitty Unesh Sphinx tribal deck and I agree with this but for a slightly different reason.

Tribes already have a lot of support. With things like Urza's Incubator, Conspiracy, Changeling cards, Heralds Horn etc. I think 90% of tribes are playable.

Most tribal decks are putting in the best of X tribe cards, some good instant, sorcery and enchantments from your colours an some that synergise with the tribe your playing and that's it. outside of the mana rocks and lands that you run in any optimised deck

I think they can be a lot of fun to play, and are great to play against sometimes especially if they're built with flavour in mind, but I don't think they need any support because realistically if they're too strong then the person dropping insane creatures that benefit from 80% of cards in their deck is either going to get hated out a lot or win far too much for just playing creatures that share a tribe.

Post 'em boyos and girlos. Make sure your list looks good. We fancy now.

Inb4 someone calls them spam again

>still no GW sissy bf

feels bad man

>have qt dom gf
>she's legally blind and can't play Magic
>tfw she will never dominate my board state with hard Azorius control
It hurts just a little.

Hopefully none of those mean bullies see this

fuck deck posting. start combo posting.

NOW THIS IS SPAM

>work trip to Japan
>decide to treat myself to a Japanese Mana Drain as a memento
>buy a Mana Drain and 4 iconic masters packs for the equivalent of $115
>open another Mana Drain, and a Horizon Canopy

Should I keep or trade the second one? Outside of the g/u/x goodstuff style of deck, what sort of deck would be most improved with a Mana Drain?

I looked through my card collection. There are enough good cards to build several decks right on the spot. But I just can't do this because the decks would miss a few key cards and therefore wouldn't feel "complete" or "optimal".

you don't like combos?

I don't like that one image Being posted heaps

fag

My very first deck was an Elf tribal deck, and though I still have it, I don't use it often 'cause all it does is cheat out a bomb by turn 5 or 6 and win with an alpha strike. I get the most joy out of playing tribes with very little support.

For example, I recently made a Skeleton tribal deck as a Halloween surprise for my playgroup. It absolutely sucks. HOWEVER, the one game I win out of five is worth ten victories, and that's what's great about EDH; It lets you win on your own terms (sometimes.) Nobody expects to be overcome by "Zombies with osteoporosis" as my friend calls them. Nobody expects me to flash in Tidal Flats and cackle maniacally as my army of deathtouching, Levitating Skelies calcifies their trampling Dragons. Nobody expects Reassembling Skeleton to go infinite and fuel Zulaport Cutthroat. Everybody expects my dumb smirk whenever I cast "Read the BONES" or "SKULLclamp" or "SPINAL Embrace," but that's OK.

So yeah, I agree that Tribes can be fun if you avoid the played-out stuff and keep flavor in mind.

I like how Half-Kitten, Half- and Adorable Kitten are respectively the before and after of the moment.

do posts like this get bullied? I think its way better than just posting images of the legendaries

post list?

Not really liking my zada deck because it turns out playing solitaire and having to look people in the eye afterwards is a lot harder than comboing someone online. Thinking about turning it into Krenko. Is he more interactive?

If blocking goblins is interactive, yes.

Krenko is boring as hell. Just pick Grenzo and put Krenko in the 99.

I'm afraid that I don't have a list uploaded anywhere. I edit my decks at least a little bit every week, so I don't use stuff like tappedout.

>thread q
Demons but not via swamfriendly +1/+1 lords, more indirect stuff like they already have in Blood Speaker and Shadowborn Apostle except not tutors. Something along the line of a human cleric with "{T}: target demon creature gets +X/+0, where X is that creature's power" or something

So is dual zombie goblin tribal a thing

tribes are also boring as fuck

>What tribes need more support?
spirits

krenko is boring, you either double your goblins like 4 times and kill everyone at once or get bored wiped

>Thread question
Minotaurs, Ragemonger is half-assed without a lot of cards to support.

my LGS has basically stopped playing legacy because a lot of the players have moved away over the last few months. would it be in poor taste to take the dual lands from my legacy decks and put them into my EDH decks when my play group is mostly upgraded precons? they cant really give THAT much of an advantage in a 100 cards singleton format

Why doesn't your commander have foil titties, user?

Find out how to print braile cards user. Paradise is within reach if you just believe in yourself

speaking of tribal i want to build a 5 color commander. which do you guys think would be more fun? o-kagachi spirit tribal, horde of notions elemental tribal, or slivers

Horde.

O-Kagachi is garbage and spirits are undersupported.
Slivers are either combo nonsense or crying every time someone wipes the board.
There are a lot more quirky elementals for fun and variable interactions.

Slivers will also swiftly turn you into the archenemy in any halfway casual table without offering you enough power to survive that position unless you're in an actual Weenie Hut Jr. and nobody has even heard of removal.

thanks to iconic masters arch angel of thune is cheap enough for me to buy, what should i take out of this deck to make room for it?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostani-20-4/

The best tribes are the ones with terrible support so you can actually design the deck to have some sort of strategy beyond turn cards sideways

I think the exception is Zombies.
There are so many ways you can build it:
>Resilient threats
>Disposable tokens
>Creature Combos
>House of Lords
>Abusing cards like Gempalm Polluter, Grey Merchant, or Shepherd of Rot

Or blending them all together by degrees. A well made Zombie deck can play out completely differently between games, adapting to different situations and working around hate cards.

I like stealing my opponents things. Which is more fun?

Emrakul
Gonti

Follow your dreams user!

TQ:
Horrors have basically no support but there are plenty of them. Might be fun. Also Clerics, we keep getting them (and good ones at that) but there have been almost no tribal synergies since Onslaught.

You can find this artist on FA:
furaffinity.net/user/firefeathers/
She does oodles of fun animal versions of iconic Magic art. It's pretty cool that she's now living her dream of making art for the game proper.

They did get something a bit like that in Kamigawa with ogres. Unfortunately all those cards are basically unplayable.

My commander is an amphibian.

Gonti, by a country mile.

Thoughts on this card? Seems risky, given how prevalent artifacts are in the format, but the amount of extra mana you get is hard to pass up.

Do it user, if it upsets anyone they were a bitch to begin with.

Only good in a dedicated artifact deck with high cost payoffs like Eldrazi.

Minotaurs.
Speaking of tribal, I see people making werewolf tribal with Xenagos. How and why? Don't they just transform back to humans unless you have immerwolf?

Blinknoth Urn always worked well for me.

Because even furries know that Ulrich is a trash commander.

Even better : Silumgar

There are so many ways to tap artifacts these days that it can be an amazing piece of asymmetrical ramp.

Nah, I've already done the U/B steal thing with Jeleva. I enjoy the fun of mono color decks much more than multicolored decks.

Do you have a list for your jeleva deck? Looking at lists right now to build my own thievery tribal deck

The best spells you can include in jeleva for stealing enemy spells are bounce spells and haste enablers. Mana ramp is good too. You can't really plan too much for synergy, because you're devastating your deck as well, so you just have to build your deck with the most efficient cards in the roles that you want. If you do that, then people who bank on synergies between cards to make subpar choices good (most edh players) will be more hurt by the disruption of Jeleva than you.

i want pimp out my lands, what are your favorite basic mountains and swamps?

Anything Rebecca Guay

>but there have been almost no tribal synergies since Onslaught
I mostly think it's weird that this one hasn't been reprinted yet

Who is a better commander for token shenanigans? Ghave or Prossh?

Can't reponst here, curse invalidated

They're both ridiculous and should not be built.

over rated lands honestly. i dont really see the appeal

>No tribal synergies since onslaught

That is not how you spell lorwyn.

The whole block was tribal

>the whole Lorwyn block contained ten clerics
>none of them interact with the subtype in any way

I want Spectre tribal. Fuck you, you don't get a hand.

Tribal is so fucking shit and boring. Literally a deck building archetype for brainlets.

skeletons scare me

Skeleton commander thats not skittles when

Can I get some feedback on this deck I just finished?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-staxdos/

The meta is pretty casual

>Thread question
Demons and Werewolves

I feel werewolves mostly need one or more legendary cards and another source of indefinite transformation besides Immerwolf to be okay

i still say the cats precon should have been werewolves with an eminence commander that kept them flipped of transformed them into wolves on each up keep

I like them because they look so dreamy

Psst, OP of that post here. There is one other Legendary Skelie in MtG. Remember how I said the deck absolutely sucked? I'm currently brewing up Voltron as this weekend's variation. I can't wait to beat my pals' faces in with a 0 power commander this evening.

I'm so upset because now I know that this thought exists, and was never acted on. One day werewolves will get the treatment they deserve

Something like Vandalblast would probably do a lot more than, say, Artifact Blast. I don't understand the goblin subtheme, nor the presence of Dictate of Erebos, Grave Pact, and Butcher of Malikir.
Braid of Fire is no good with the X-spells, since those are all sorcery speed. Braid's mana dissipates by the time your first main phase rolls around.
Bubbling Muck is an odd choice for a deck with just five Swamps. In fact, do you really need that many dual lands for a two-color deck?
It looks like it might be fun, but it's all over the place; X-spell Big Mana, land hate, goblins, blue hate, reanimation... Cut a few of those themes and add more support for the ones you're most fond of.

I wonder if there's any bone-related enchantments for voltron

That's a pretty elegant solution, only problem I see is that it would force everyone who wants to run wwolves into using that commander

>Skeletons riding flying/jumping tortoises

Warriors.
>tfw for some retarded reason, this is a soldier, not a warrior.

I have similar yet reverse feelings about Godo

>force everyone who wants to run werewolves into using that commander
>as opposed to running a legendary with no tribal synergy with werewolves or a werewolf that also does not affect werewolves globally that also suffers from the inability to transform
one is better than none

Yes it would certainly be better than what we have now, I'm just saying you could print multiple tribal-friendly legendaries instead

And don't forget about cheeky dolphin.
I've been down that path of research. The only remotely useful ones are:
Casting of Bones
Skeletal Grimace
Spinal Graft
and Glistening Oil ('cause of the art)

Captcha: Select all the boats. No, really.

Make a boat theme deck by having the old-school ship creatures crew ship vehicles, somehow.

Oh no, I'd have to run a commander that actually supports my tribe

There was actually a moment last week in which my Skeleton Ship swung at somebody while under the effects of War Barge. This means that Skeleton Ship or Pirate Ship or whatever could crew something like Bomat Bazaar Barge, and then the ship-crewed BBB could get on a War Barge. AND, if someone destroyed the War Barge during combat, the vehicle would sink, but the ship inside of it would still be afloat.

What a time to be alive.

Hahaha, wtf are you talking about user, there is no way Saskia is a s-

Damn thanks for the advice, this is really helpful

All werewolves need is a legendary. I don't count Ulrich because he's borderline unplayable. Fuck they really should have made Huntmaster legendary and it would have been fine. All demons need is to not cost a gorillion mana. Lord of Riots kind of helps the issue but they're more or less like angels in that aspect.

Glad I could help!
Also consider Rakdos Charm and Kolaghan's Command for more flexible instants.

This swamp is sweet

Target attacking creature.
I don't see how this would work

It's be absolutely unnecessary, but id personally be overjoyed if a legendary Myr was printed. I have a myr tribal shell set aside which isn't very good, but is very cute.

Non-full-art swamp of choice.

"Shenanigans"? I guess I Ghave, but each is a general which merits a focused, specific strategy, and if you're just playing for shenanigans, you'll draw an undue amount of hate. If you're just BSing around, consider a commander who buffs all your dudes, slesnya populate bitch from ravnica, or azorius unlockable boy from amonkhet.

Demons are already workable. Shadowborn apostle already fills out your low end stuff on its own, and if you don't want to bend a singleton format using a dozen+ of one creature, I've seen people in medium power level groups get by just fine using a heavy focus on ramp or reanimation to make it work.

After being declared an attacking creature, tapping or untapping it doesn't remove it from combat, it still is an attacking creature.

Just attack with it?

So is this dude really worth running in Xenagod?