Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Arms of the Chosen has been released edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night's_Master
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Arms of the Chosen has been released edition.
Since a lot of us have probably read through Arms by now, what are everyone's favorite artifacts? I'm fond of Sekhem myself, because fire is always fun.

Karvara, hands-down. That's an artifact N/A done right, if you ask me.

Karvara and Stormcaller (demon trapped in a sword). There is something about entities trapped in weapons. Also it helps that you need to give it sake once a month so its fury is subdued.

I read Gnomon and kind of wanted my character to die so I could make a character that used it. I won't, because I really love my character and he's so hard to kill that it has to be some epic set piece but the fact that I was tempted said a lot.

Also Karvara The Walking Devil Tower. I knew I'd love it just from the name.

I don't like Sekhem cause of how likely it is to break. Artifact weapons are supposed to be far more durable than their mundane counterparts, but here is one that is far more fragile.

That's an exaggeration. 'Breaking' in this case basically means that Sekhem functions as a mere firewand instead of an artifact of power. Genuinely breaking it is not that easy. Besides, barrel cracking becomes less and less of an issue as your Essence increases. You're right that Sekhem has its own hassles and complications compared to other artifacts, though.

I like that quirk. You are spouting fire so hot and destructive even the own artifact can't contain it. It speaks wonder and the illustration only add to the mystic. I want to go full crazy pyromaniac with it and burn stone walls to hash.

Stormcaller is one that seem universally loved. I personally like Rainwalker a lot too.

Rainwalker and Sozen are my personal favorite artifacts.

Is there a place where we have the various enemy dlcs? Hundred devil's night parade and enemies of the chosen? I don't see them in the op, but if really rather not pay 2 bucks for 2 monsters.

There's a pastebin in the OP.

>what are everyone's favorite artifacts
I haven't decided yet. I'm partial to Smashfists, so only having one kind of sucks. The one presented is alright though. I wish we'd gotten some pile bunker smashfists though.

>High flying.
>You can only high fly using an Artifact N/A Warstrider.

Why is Arms so shit?

How dare you want to replicate mythological abilities in a game about playing mythological based heroes!

>Why is Arms so shit?

It's just sad now, bro. Let it go.

>4 people want a game of Exalted
>I'm forever GM so I want one too
>cannot find a game

Fuck.

>arms preview links are still there
ree

>only knowing 4 people that want a game
>few enough to easily fit in a group without having to leave anyone out
>actually having the time and energy to GM
get on my level, noob

it's been years since I had a game that lasted more than two sessions, send help

So what you're saying is, you really need to run a long lasting game?

Not really any of them.

Arms has too much of a flawed base going forward DESU. Bad artifact design combined with bad warstriders makes me worry about the overall longevity of the line.

As someone who spent the last two years looking for a game only for every game to die out shortly after hitting essence 2?

Better to be a forever GM.

Is it because the artifacts are too interesting? Because that's a pretty stale meme.

Just looking through Arms of the Chosen now and god does this art fucking suck

This is what happens when you let anti-weebs get their hands on your implicitly weeb game

Anti-weeb here. You can't even understand how happy this makes me. I guess I have to go buy Arms now.

The art is average. No worse than that.

I think its fine, just too like...static. I don't know how to describe it, but lots of it is just people standing around or doing vague kinda awkward poses. I feel it doesn't fit the intensity of exalted, show people swinging a sword in a 180 degree arch, three people standing in front of them flying backwards

This exactly. Extremely bland, enervated poses or cringeworthy crap like the two gay characters holding hands and grinning at each other while wielding swords that look like something a kid made out of cardboard and aluminum foil.

>"this exactly"
>goes on to say something completely different

I don't mind the lack of anime eyes, or whatever you people are talking about since I can't tell any other distinction.

What I do mind is that the art STILL just has black and brown-haired people make up 90% of everyone, and the few exceptions are white and blonde and red. Instead of following the descriptions as they've stood in all three editions.

For fuck's sake.

"this exactly - bland, enervated poses"

- OR -

"other stuff"

Strong reading comprehension you've got

while we are on the subject of aesthetics, does anyone else hate the terrible fonts and pretentious artsy layouts everywhere

Oh, except the wall painting one. That one is fucking sick and I love it, I want one of those in every single book please

Responding to someone saying that the art is fine but too static by talking about extremely bland poses and cringeworthy crap isn't exctly sticking to the topic, user. Unless you think that bland poses and cringeworthy crap are fine, of course.

What is the Sidereal supposed to be doing in that one? I know the Dragonblooded is working as the furnace, the Lunar is the assistant, and the Solar is the smith, but it looks like the Sidereal is just there to be there.
But, yeah the mayan/aztec-like paintings are real cool.

>responding to criticisms of the art with more criticism of the art isn't sticking to topic

Ok

The problem isn't the art being average, it's the art being westernized as fuck. Flies in the face of 2 editions of Exalted and fucks up the portrayal of the game.

I still can't remember a single DB illustration outside of that one IO dude that actually shows DB's with their elemental markings. Art from anything but Exalted actually makes better Exalted art than the art in Exalted does.

Anime art in Exalted was always a mistake.

Seconded.

>Wood aspect
That's a Dryad, son.

>only good art in 3e
sigh

ok holden

ok earthscorpion

WHile you have a point, your pic is definitely overdoing it for Dragon-Blooded Aspect markings.

You're right. And it's also a good example of a mid-range wood aspect's prominent markings. Give it a century more and she'd get properly woody. That's what DBs are like according to their descriptions.

He's advising

One of those "gay" characters is a woman.

I know this is Veeky Forums and all, but...

No see, the descriptions in the text? They all say the DBs get even more extreme than that. It's the bad art examples which contradict the descriptions which are making you say this.

The art in exalted has always sucked though. The 1e/2e anime style wasn't even done well

>Dragon-Blooded lack Caste Marks, instead bearing a variety of markings expressing their elemental aspect. Such marks might include brilliantly red hair or eyes that glow like embers in dim light, for Fire Aspects; or a green tinge to the eyes and lips, or hair that smells of roses,or fingernails of living wood, for Wood Aspects; or tempers that manifest as localized winds, for Air Aspects.

Eeeehh, this to me suggests markings that are noticeable but not to the point of an utterly alien appearance.

Aspect markings increase with Breeding and higher Essence to pretty ridiculous levels.

>Aspect markings increase with Breeding and higher Essence to pretty ridiculous levels.

Breeding isn't a graduated scale anymore, according to the developers. And there's nothing about increased marking prominence with increased Essence enlightenment in the 3e text.

It hasn't been said in 3e yet but it's been a thing since 1e I and it's not one of the things that's straight bad that they're going to absolutely change. If they did change it I would be rather confused, as such, it's a fair assumption that it will be included and one that should be made until they directly contradict it.

This is true about generally everything for this edition. Until it's called out as changed you should assume it's the same.

While there is unlikely going to be a 0 to 5 Breeding scale, there will absolutely be purer breeding individuals and lesser breeding individuals in 3e. It's a pretty big part of Dragonblood culture.

>It hasn't been said in 3e yet but it's been a thing since 1e I and it's not one of the things that's straight bad that they're going to absolutely change. If they did change it I would be rather confused, as such, it's a fair assumption that it will be included and one that should be made until they directly contradict it.

Given how central a concept it's been in the past, I feel that if Terrestrials were meant to look utterly inhuman at higher essence from the get-go in 3e, it would have been stated in the core. As it is, I don't see much reason to expect this to change dramatically in What Fire Has Wrought. There'll probably be some increased marking prominence for individuals with the Good Breeding merit they've mentioned, but I have strong doubts that it'll increase markings to the kinds of levels you're advocated.

The description is completely in line with what is presented in the Core book versus what is presented in the DB splat book.

1e Core:
>Aspects of Wood sometimes have a light layer of bark on their skin, especially on the back and the shoulders. The young or less powerful among them have a greenish tint to their skin.

3e Core
>Dragon-Blooded lack Caste Marks, instead bearing a variety of markings expressing their elemental aspect. Such marks might include brilliantly red hair or eyes that glow like embers in dim light, for Fire Aspects; or a green tinge to the eyes and lips, or hair that smells of roses, or fingernails of living wood, for Wood Aspects; or tempers that manifest as localized winds, for Air Aspects.

1e The Dragonblooded
>Aspects of Wood are marked with a slight greenish tint to their skin. Among those with high Breeding, this tint becomes almost emerald in color. As they age, Wood-aspected Dragon-Blooded often grow a light layer of bark on their skin, typically along the back and shoulders. Well-bred elders sometimes sprout flowers in their hair. Many produce a natural musk reminiscent of flowers, pine, fresh fruit or other forms of plant life.

So yeah, fits pretty well for a particularly high Breeding, high Essence Wood Aspect Dragonblood.
Almost emerald skin? Check
Flowers in their hair? Check

The only thing a bit too far would likely be the actual leaves, instead the hair would probably just look like leaves. But even then this picture just has leaves on the top and natural hair for the rest so it's not pushing it beyond reason. High breeding/Essence DBs are supposed to look very striking, it's been mentioned it's impossible NOT to know someone is a DB if they're powerful enough. This also works well with how they are presented in the culture, as gods, an inhuman appearance is absolutely in theme with this. The original point was people get the wrong idea because the art has never matched up which is clearly the case.

Does anyone have any advice for artifact/evocation creation after reading Arms of The Chosen? I’ve only been able to skim it so far.

>The only thing a bit too far would likely be the actual leaves, instead the hair would probably just look like leaves. But even then this picture just has leaves on the top and natural hair for the rest so it's not pushing it beyond reason. High breeding/Essence DBs are supposed to look very striking, it's been mentioned it's impossible NOT to know someone is a DB if they're powerful enough. This also works well with how they are presented in the culture, as gods, an inhuman appearance is absolutely in theme with this. The original point was people get the wrong idea because the art has never matched up which is clearly the case.

Also the generally fey aspect and literal plants growing up where they stand, which to me screams "elemental" rather than "Terrestrial". And honestly, I'm deliberately dismissing what previous editions have stated until they are reinforced/reintroduced in 3e. We'll see how it goes when the book actually comes, but until then, I still remain firm that you probably won't see anything quite that extreme even amidst powerful Dynasts of good Breeding.

Well yes, Dragonbloods don't grow out of the ground I doubt even the OP was advocating for taking the whole thing, just "this is what my character looks like." The overall look of the piece however is much more representative of how a DB should look than what we've gotten throughout the game line. Look at the shit art we've gotten the last two editions and compare it to that picture. That picture, while not perfectly accurate, is leaps and bounds MUCH closer to the actual description of aspects markings put forth in the previous two editions.

Ignoring everything from past editions until it's reconfirmed is going to fuck you pretty hard. The devs have explained the broad strokes of what they're changing and the tone they want to work towards. Ignoring things that act counter to those goals while keeping the rest is a much better position to take in regards to having content to work with. Shit, they even say look towards 1e stuff as what they're going for so content from 1e, that isn't stuff they specifically said is on the chopping block is a pretty safe bet when it comes to using it. I will bet you absolutely fake internet bucks that the description for the Aspect Markings in 3e will be almost identical to what was in 1e, which absolutely matches up with something, very, very close to what was in that picture outside of obvious "yeah my character doesn't have trees for feet."

Well, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Doesn't bother me more than mildly (as I kind of prefer Terrestrials that don't look utterly elemental).

Page 18 of AotC

So what's everyones favourite Hearthstone now that Arms is out?

wings of the raptor. p126.

It's lowest common denominator art. Bought on the cheap so RichT can go on three month vacations in Italy.

I know Veeky Forums isn't really the problem because maybe 1/10 of you actually pays for stuff, but people who buy OPP stuff are just perpetuating rip-offs. Of themselves.

There could be no art and I'd be happy because its still a fun game

I have a bridge you may be interested in.

Blood gathering stone is a bit edgy but the effect is pretty neat.

I got tired of this argument so I just asked Vance. He says they can be "pretty extreme" but also that "you're not likely to see inhuman looking Dragon-Blooded much". So likely what we're going to see going forward is something kind of in-between "dude with really green hair and skin" and for high-Breeding stuff.

All that's off about the image in question is the root feet, other than that it's pretty spot on.

>guy who art dumps every so often
>posted that DB pic
>come back to entire discussion on it

Cool. And yeah, the root feet weren't really meant to be part of it, but the rest is 100% well bred DB.

>So likely what we're going to see going forward is something kind of in-between "dude with really green hair and skin" and (You) for high-Breeding stuff.

Also gonna say that feels more like a cop-out and not instructing artists properly of exactly what things should look like. Exalted has always had a massive dissonance between how things are supposed to look, and the actual art being put out. I guess it's idiotic at this point to expect anyone to try and rectify it, but it'd be nice if things looked as they're supposed to.

Maybe we'll get a match in What Fire Has Wrought itself between text and art.

Also the, y'know, faeness.

What "faeness"? Care to elaborate what specifically you're talking about?

Pointed ears, hair is literally leaves, general faerie aura.

Ya done posted an Eastern Raksha, son.

That guys not me. It could be used as fae too, sure. I like to go a bit more inhuman for fae though.

I apologize, I just need to rant and have no one to rant to.

I really like my ST but my party consists a murderhobo, a powergamer, two wallflowers, and myself. I know I can't fix them and I have no clue what to do with them.

i would like more information. this could be a good story.

Sounds relatively normal for most groups. What exactly are they doing thats so bad?

Unfortunately that'd probably be enough to identify me and I'll probably end up suffering them since getting Exalted games ain't easy. Like I said the ST is good and really enjoy what he's doing.

Honestly it wouldn't even be a great story as it's all just the same awful types of players you might have in a D&D game.

>Night's Master by Tanith Lee
This has been in the Exalted reading list for all editions. Anyone read it? What makes it so Exalted, that it's always name dropped?

>Night's Master by Tanith Lee

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night's_Master

It's been a few years since I read the series, but if I recall correctly parts of Exalted's setting were pretty much taken straight from it. It's a flat world with multiple realms, surrounded by formless chaos and inhabited by indifferent gods, powerful heroes of questionable heroism, and demons that are more alien than malevolent.

It's pretty good. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Azharn is pretty malevolent, but the other demons are more alien than evil

Isn't Azharn also kind of similar to Ligier?

Crash them... with no survivors.

But user, how is it a rip-off if I get my money's worth? I mean, the core is a pretty good game, and Arms is a very good supplement to that pretty good game. Bad art is an annoyance, not a dealbreaker. Art in Arms isn't even bad, so it's not really a negative.

In which edition?

What a retarded argument.

All of them, unless this one goes back on it, which I doubt seeing how they didn't change other similar things like the mortal hair color stuff.

This edition has a description of what dragon-blooded can look like,

Haven't seen it. I doubt it's any different to the old descriptions though.

That sounds like 3e ones are more extreme than in past editions, if those are descriptions of the average ones. It used to be that they got that way with advancing age and high breeding.

You keep forgetting that you don't matter. One person feeling they get their money's worth is irrelevant. As more people get fed up with things like 3 years overdue books, bad art, hurried editing resulting in weird outcomes, etc. people will stop buying them.

The playerbase is already on the decline because the mechanics are fresh out of 1999 and this may confuse you but it's nearly 2018.

How do do I become autistic enough to play this game and keep up with all the powers and shit? I'm used to OSR and I tried to read the Exalted 3E core rules and boy was I overwhelmed.

By not being a faggot.

wut

An average non-high breed non elder Wood aspect has barks in 1e.

The same has a slight green tinge to the eyes and lips in 3e.

You've been saying the game line has going to end any day now since the leak, and you're going to still be saying it when Sidereals is out.

>the mechanics are fresh out of 1999 and this may confuse you but it's nearly 2018.

What would be a good example of better mechanics?

For example D&D 3.Pathfinder has multiple options but numbers are all over the place. Wizards, Druids and Clerics. Others need not apply.

D&D 4th edition made everyone is useful and contributing but layout reduced fluff and increased cruch. Also it had no soul. But it was superior game system to previous edition.

5th edition tried to combine good aspects of previous editions. Layout is great, and they reduced numbers and modifiers even further. This lets people get into game more easily