Competitive modern general

You don't get to bring lategame edition

Playing?
Hating?
Meta thoughts?

Have you thanked your local Urza Tron player for doing his part to make the format a better place?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/613255#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Question: If I play a kor firewalker and my opponent hits me with a grapeshot for 16, do I take any damage?

Ponza or Skred?

Copies of spells that are made by Storm triggers are never cast, they are simply put on the stack, so Kor Firewalker doesn't see anything but the originally cast Grapeshot. Also, Kor Firewalker doesn't prevent damage.

Okay thanks, and I know it doesn't prevent damage but I gain one life so if it was the other way around I would gain everything I take back

How did you do at FNM, anons?

I brought Green Stompy and went 2-2, 13 players in attendance.

Game one, against R/U/W spirits/control (had saint traft and lightning bolts) won 2-1. Easy beat down, he won a round with a well timed Cryptic Command to tap all my creatures.

Game two, 0-2 against modern version of Copy Cat, got him to 7 life each time then flooded out to 7-8 lands. He was also repeatedly flickering kitchen finks.

Game three, 0-2 against Affinity. He had two really great starting hands in a row, getting 4 cards onto the field in the first turn. My hands were ok, but just didn't draw the hydras/rancors I needed to blast through.

Game 4, 2-0 against Jeskai control. I just beat him down, had answers to his answers, Dismembered his Spell Queller and ended with Blossoming Defense to win. He was a good sport but was pretty rustled his $1,400 deck got btfo by a $90 Green Stompy.

Overall I was happy with my performance, I think I could have gone 3-1 if I didn't flood out in game two. I think I should include 2x Creeping Corrosion in my sideboard for affinity.

how does modern survive?

Yeah Tron is actually fucking miserable on so many levels. No Tron player ever earned a win.

new players keep it alive

theyre the ones that say "modern isnt that bad" because they never got to chance to play when it was good and think the year of eldrazi was what everyones talking about whey they talk about the good times when modern was actually fun and diverse

The fact that good Tron actually has a huge buy in between Chalices, Karns, and Ugins, and that most Tron that a lot of people see is people grabbing their Urza lands and a Wurmcoil.

>tfw you beat Tron with your Tier 4 deck

That guy just needs to stop being bad

>chris pikula
>bad

We're not in 1999 user

Magic doesn't require that much skill, senpai. The majority of matches are decided by deckbuilding and luck of the draw.

I've seen more people rage on affinity than Tron

Affinity is a much more "fair" deck than Tron so those people probably just rage anytime they lose in general.

just fucking ban Chalice and Thoughtseize

boom, healthy format

>Ban Thoughtseize
Chalice, I agree.

>ban thoughtseize
t. salty combo player

Thoughtseize is part of what keeps modern healthy you retard.

t. ad nauseam player

I disagree, you can't play your whole hand on t1 with tron

Make mill great again.

Tron can't be utterly btfo by sideboard cards like affinity can and sometimes Affinity hands can crumple to well placed removal spells.

what would happen if wizards just got rid of the banned list and legalized everything? what would be the best deck? Flash Hulk?

Can I play Twin again yet?

Probably Vintage MUD if they legalized everything.

>I used to rule the world
>Seas would rise when I gave the word
>Now in the morning I sleep alone
>Sweep the streets I used to own

kek

Man death's shadow was short lived.

Is it really already dead? It's still new to me.

>there are people who unironically spent over $1000 on a death's shadow deck

everyone should just play affinity. best investment i've ever made in 20 years of playing mtg.

What happened?

even lantern control and burn are putting up better results at this point.

>not rolling with Merfolk
>steady T2 deck, can be extended into Legacy

holy fuck why is it always the land that cockblocks me from buying and building what I want.

>playing a tier 6 deck since in modern and a tier 4 deck in legacy

I'd have to have a lot of loyalty to fish people to do that.

But technically you're right, fish has been around forever, even long before modern was a thing. So I guess some fish lover out there saved a bunch of money playing nothing but that.

>not playing burn which you switch out a handful of cards and BAM you got a modern/legacy/pauper deck on command

2-2 with that meme ninja eldrazi deck.

I actually think the deck is really fucking good.

Because you buy them once and never have to worry about them ever again

is it tron that's the problem? or is it ELDRAZI tron that's the problem?

Turns out that half killing yourself means your opponent just has to do half the work. Who knew.

But if you kill your enemies, they win.

His last +1 ability enables Panglacial Wurm.

Since when are 0 drops "unfair"?
I'm sorry, I didn't realize a 0/2 was so utterly devastating.
Having to worry about a turn 3 Karn is much more scary than having to worry about a bunch of small creatures that can easily just be chumped later.

Wrong. People die if they are killed.

and plus there's board-wipes plenty for those kinds of creatures.

spealking of planeswalkers, did they ever announce that pwalker redirection rule?

>ban Thoughtseize
Combo is my personal favorite archetype and even I realize that this is a stupid idea

But who's the real loser in the scenario?

im an idiot, forgot to put anything

this good for a budget thing to build? ill get the stuff i need later.

to be honest don't even bother with budget.

Just save more and get the good set

>Panglacial Wurm
too bad you still need 7 mana.

good set?

Land bases are the most important thing. Don't play decks with over 1 color if on a budget, just go mono until you can afford something.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/613255#paper

What should I do to the mana base for this deck? I think I'm fairly happy with the rest.

make them all islands and a forest

Yes it can by Stony Silence and Gquarter

Ninja Eldrazi? You got a list?

Neither of those cards btfo Tron you donut
Oh no, they can't crack their expedition map; life is horrible
Here's a list, it's pretty interesting

Well yeah, if you pimp out a modern deck it's going to end up being over $1,000.

Those don't btfo tron the same way stony or kataki do to affinity. At best they slow them down a turn and that's being hopeful.

And they definitely slow you down a turn.

Can't you just gquarter and surgical extraction to dick down tron?

I'm the Taking Turns player up above and I legitimately think the matchup against Tron is 9:1. Basically every card is super useful against them.

So you're going to bet on a 2 card combo? Isn't it more likely that they start out with Chalice?

No, because they know if they put a Chalice on the table, they're gonna' get smacked.

can i do some mono blue tempo thing?

Like, okay, but you won't have fun against any top tier deck.

Like, any fun. You'll just watch them play, basically.

Eyyy a fellow taking turns player! Are you mono U or UB?

Blue, I'm looking for nonbasic lands to throw in there.

It's getting tough with all of the creature decks popping up. Azban humans is brutal.

Nice, I’m mono blue too. I have some budget alternatives thrown in while I try and get cryptics. I managed to beat out elves and shit by using Sleep to save me a turn.

lol that is jank. I recommend four gigadrowse.

Gigadrowse is good, but turn 4 sleep knocks out all their billion elves and lets me go off turn 5. Even the janky clock is right twice a day.

>reee tron
Spread those seas niggers.

UW B O Y Z

F I S H
I
S
H

So, when I hear "tron" is it a particular deck, or urza lands in general? Because as a shitbrewer, urza lands facilitate a lot of quirky, non-tiered colorless ideas I could never use elsewise.

That’s every single card ever dofus

its the lands, sometimes fnm fun has to pay the price for top tier cancer

Those are also known as the "Tron lands" so it's pretty much just them that make the deck what it is.

Tron means chalice on turn 2 followed by Karn on turn 3, or something else that's real good on turn 3.

can you guys explain why flusterstorm is 30 bucks? seems like a very niche cards against one specific archetype

Legacy / vintage play?

What sideboard cards work against Tron? Running soul sisters and splashing black for lingering souls/orzhov charm.

Playing an attrition/kill myself plan doesn't really work when everybody either empties their hand too fast, kills you too fast, or has enough card advantage to make your 8 maindeck discard spells look really dumb

>can you guys explain why flusterstorm is 30 bucks?
It used to be around 80.

whops! my bad.

Flusterstorm is generally better than spell pierce unless your opponent is trying to win through something like Lili, Jace, etc.

It's also great against combo in general. If you don't have force of will in hand and your elf opponent casts glimpse of nature, then flusterstorm is the only counterspell of cost 1 or less that has any chance of stopping him.

Yeah I quickly realized how dumb my response was. I lazily summarized something long in my head.

Is modern mana efficient and on-curve enough at this point that a Daze being printed in a standard set would make it see modern play?

Post the entire thought please

dude modern cant handle force spike what makes you think it could handle daze?

That's not the question I'm asking.

It's fine if Daze knocks around the meta a little.

The question you're asking is "Would Daze see modern play?" It's a retarded question.

Skred

It's a legit question. Shocklands change the math by quite a bit.

Nice trips. What makes you say skred?

You can play bad merfolk for...uh, maybe...uh.

With heavy play lords, can get a full set of 8 island walk bois for $30...

Aethervials just got reprinted, in a few weeks you might be able to pick up a set for $50.

silvergill adept gets reprinted to pennies january

4x phantasmal images for $10

If possible, $30 for some cursecatchers

get a few cheap blue control spells.

you can play ok on just islands, it's not as good and probably drops your a tier but it's do-able.

Maybe can get out the door for under $130 on a tier 3ish deck? By January, mind you, prices need to decline on a few things. You can't have your chalice of the voids in the SB, but that just hurts some matchups, it doesn't break you. You MUST counter chokes or lose, tho.

Main board spreading seas give you a very reasonable Tron matchup, which is nice.

No they don't. Do you even know why Daze is played legacy

How commonly sideboarded is choke, anyway?

Yes, because people play on curve with super efficient spells and wish to be able to tap out with shields up.

If you actually think being shocked twice by one land in a three color modern deck isn't relevant then you're retarded. The question is whether people would play it anyway.