/osrg/ OSR General

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd

>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp

>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:
Would you rather run Tower of the Stargazer using Stars Without Numbers or using Machinations of the Space Princess? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/11/osr-1d100-coins_18.html
lastgaspgrimoire.com/religion-is-a-nest-of-serpents/
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-monk.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-exorcist.html
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-book-exorcist.html
melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/,
journeyintotheweird.blogspot.ca/2017/11/this-post-is-glog-hack.html
melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.ca/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd rather run a module that isn't Raggishit.

first for skerpeles is a cuck

You are not allowed to not like Raggi in this thread. You MUST suck his cock. It's the rules.

youtube.com/watch?v=yModCU1OVHY

Can his cock even be found under all the fat?

His ELDRITCH cock.

People here often share interesting or useful houserules.

What about needing a houserule; what rule in your opinion could use something that is easier to use, or more "modern" in its implementation?

Have you actually been to /orsg/ before?

Well this thread is already off to a great start.

>what rule in your opinion could use something that is easier to use, or more "modern" in its implementation?
Movement speed for chases or exploration seems like it could use a bit of tidying up.

Finally get an OP that isn't READ STAGE INSTRUCTIONS OUT LOUD INSTEAD OF DOING THEM and now everybody's talking about raggi's dick.

Hell is real, and we're already there.

>What about needing a houserule
Could you give me some rules for how much noise the party is making and whether the monsters next door hear it.

I'd rather not participate in a hobby created around rape culture by rapists like Gygax, Arneson and Mentzer.

Continuity!

Why is it that there's regularly somebody getting assmangled that there exist people in the thread who don't hate Raggi and mentally converts this to "everyone has to love Raggi"? Is that what autism looks like?

This suit burns better! Look!

Honestly, my only concern is that D&D might not be rapey enough. My other hobby is HEMA and whenever I meet a rapier fencer it makes my day.

Roll your class's HD. If it is greater then or equal to the monster's HD, you get away. Otherwise, they catch you. Add +1 each time you failed to run away from that monster.

You should combine it with encumbrance rules. Every X amount of encumbrance over a set amount the party has, or excess encumbrance points from LoTFP count as 'noise' the party is making. Thieves in the party cancel out 1 noise per level.

Use a d20 as a wandering monsters roll. 19 or 20 is an encounter. Add your noise to this roll. If you roll an encounter, that means the monsters heard you, naturally, and are coming to eat you.

>Roll your class's HD. If it is greater then or equal to the monster's HD, you get away. Otherwise, they catch you. Add +1 each time you failed to run away from that monster.
That is remarkably cunning, but wouldn't you add +1 each time you succeeded instead?

Adding a +1 for when you fail running away means you can eventually get away even if you're some shitty MU.

Adding +1 each time you succeed just snowballs and makes the best cowards always the best. But I guess it's your choice.

Played a LotFP module at a con. Whole group TPK’d because:

>explore dungeon, find mummified corpse
>mouth stitched shut
>cut open stitches
>scream comes out
>DM says it sounds magical but we dunno what it is lol
>rest for the night
>dragon comes and breathes fire on the party while we’re asleep
>level 1 characters
>TPK
>”lol it was a spell that summoned a cantankerous old dragon that was pissed”

Why is the OSR so shit.

This is such a great summary. I love the weird way it's written.

>Why is the LotFP and other hipster garbage so shit.
FTFY

>at a con
There is your problem.

>Why is the OSR so shit.
Why in the world is /that/ the conclusion you drew from that sequence of events?

I mean, yesterday I had a mediocre bowl of beef stew at a diner I'd never been to before. I should therefore conclude that ALL FOOD IS TERRIBLE, right?

>Played a LotFP module
But it wasn't tho.

>and now everybody's talking about raggi's dick.
it's what he'd want

Only all food contained in a bowl.

I honestly don't know. I like some of Raggi's work, but I can definitly see how a lot of people don't. And even then I'm pretty selective in what I like from him. People need to get less upset about others likes. Different tastes keeps the world from being nothing but salt.

That DM may be retarded, but so are you for sleeping next to a magical undead mummy in the middle of a dungeon.

>Only all food contained in a bowl.
Oh right, my bad.

I mean, he wrote "OSR so shit", not "RPG so shit".

To be far, my players would have eaten it, used it as a toboggan, or put a trumpet into its screaming mouth to make a permanent orchestra.

Actually, they'd probably disagree on what to do and try all 3 at the same time, resulting in a mummy sliding down a hill at great speed, scream-tooting the tune to "Greensleeves", while being gnawed on by a rabid adventurer.

>user goes to a con (mistake 1)
>user plays with pic related (mistake 2)
>user sleeps next to magical corpse trap (mistake 3)
>user blames the game, not any of the above mistakes, for his bad time
You're the time of person to stick his dick in a pencil sharpener and then blame the machine for your experience, aren't you?

Loud bitches get extra wandering monster checks. Thieves who succeed their Move Silently don't get any at all for that turn.

As for how much noise the party is making, I'd say the best way is to use your judgment as a referee as to when it's roll time; it's hard to invent rules that cover every instance or players doing some noisy shit, but some guidelines as to what's loud might be:

>large parties (>8 people)
>hooved animals
>players talking loudly and/or constantly
>large tool use (hammers, mallets, crowbars, picks, shovels)
>split parties communicating between the groups; I interpret this as yelling to one another in-game (which I am upfront about)

Explicitly don't factor in the armor of the characters, because the slowed movement rate already means more wandering monster checks per distance covered, so it's already taken into account. Double-penalizing things is bad practice.

Also keep in mind that this whole concern might ultimately be unreasonable, since battle doesn't provoke extra checks and it's hard to see what's noisier than a skirmish in a vaulted stone room or corridor.

>o be far, my players would have eaten it, used it as a toboggan, or put a trumpet into its screaming mouth to make a permanent orchestra.
Yes, but these are all valid options that do not leave you completely helpless.

>Why in the world is /that/ the conclusion you drew from that sequence of events?
Because it's bait, noodlehead.

Seriously, is this the quality of shitpost we're going to give half a dozen replies in a matter of minutes, now? SAD!

I would gladly take this over the bait last thread.

Rest assured, I am not defending the bait of last thread.

>Yes, but these are all valid options that do not leave you completely helpless.
But they've got a decent chance of leaving you permanently dead.

Ah well. I'll stick to my idiots. They do pretty well. They even spotted an ooze before it ate anyone last session!

We didn’t sleep in a dungeon. We slept outside the dungeon with night watches.

At least tobogganing away at high speed will put some distance between them and where the dragon was summoned to.

Why is penny arcade so shit?

What with the amount of salt in the thread today? Things were pretty good during the rest of the week.

So has anyone checked out Godbound? How is it?

My first point still stands.

We didn’t sleep next to the mummy or within the dungeon, you double nigger.

>That DM may be retarded
Was my first point, you triple nigger.

What was the module called?

Gnomes of Levnec.

, That *specific* monster, or that sort of monster?

I've been OP all week, and quite a few times before.

Penny Arcade is successful enough to coast.

2hu says it's irredeemable garbage, I say it's B/X.

The original intention is that specific monster, that way you can flee from them a few times and eventually get away from them if they keep chasing you around the dungeon.

But the other method works too, and works well for building characters slowly over a campaign. At some point, your magic user is going to get +3 at fleeing from goblins, and is never going to fall for their tricks again. He knows how the goblins (try) to flank their foes, he knows how the goblins lead people into dead ends, and he knows about the triplines they set up about their territory- since he's fallen prey to them all before and lived to tell about it.

Also it further forces that theme of dungeon explorers not being heroes but cowardly craven bastards who just want their money and nothing else. I can just imagine the experienced adventures running from the dragon, leaving behind the new guy since he's never done it before. I've got a +2 at dodging a dragon's flight path. Remember boy, duck and weave.

Looked at it briefly. I really want to like it, because I like Exalted, but it was a bit weird. I'm not sure about it. It wasn't really clear to me what characters are expected to be able to do. (Though I only briefly looked at it...) Still might use it if the party ever decides to ascend to godhood though.

2hu says anything that's not perfectly balanced is irredeemable garbage anyways.

>Gnomes of Levnec.
This looks like a good one. Don't see it in the trove though.

>This shit is actually real.

>This dirt and root strewn room has largely collapsed, all that remains is a stone box with a
single mummified human head in it. The head has its mouth stitched shut. If it is cut open it will whisper a spell that calls forth a dragon by name.
>Any wizards present will instantly learn this spell.
>They will also immediately cast the spell.
>The spell awakens the dragon to come burn this mother to the ground. The dragon will be here in two hours.

First off it's a Neoclassical Greek Revival module, not an LotFP one.
Second off most people here aren't fond of Gotcha! traps or apocalypse triggers in every dungeon.

>a Neoclassical Greek Revival module
That's disappointing. The only Zzarchov Kowolski I've read cover to cover was Scourge of the Tikbalang, and that module is fucking brilliant.

It's a Neoclassical Geek Revival module.

Speaking of which, TroveGuy if you're around!
• Neoclassical Greek Revival → Neoclassical Geek Revival
• Judge's Guild → Judges Guild

>Any wizards present will instantly learn this spell.
It's not some much a gotcha as it is a run twice as fast as you can.
It's also a sort of exotic treasure and a nifty spell for threatening people who have the upper hand.

The issue is that 's ref said
>it sounds magical but we dunno what it is lol

Maybe they had no wizards.

Cont.
But the way it's written makes it sound like the wizard casts the spell, not the mummy.
Which if that is the case, they would know what it does and properly escape.
So it's still that DM's fault.

The head doesn't cast the spell, the wizards do.
No wizards, no summoned dragon.

Speaking of no running the module as is
>If it is cut open it will whisper [...]
>cut open stitches >scream comes out

Yeah I reread it and realized the only way it makes sense to me is

The text clearly states the head summons one dragon, then each wizard "also" summons a dragon. If anything, having M-Us makes the situation worse.

As promised, here are 1d100 coins, tabulated and simplified, for use in your games.

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/11/osr-1d100-coins_18.html

There's always treasure. Now you can generate some coins randomly.

>The text clearly states the head summons one dragon, then each wizard "also" summons a dragon.
Maybe they'll fight?
Forgot my image.

The module makes no mention to the head summoning the dragon, explicitly says the spell only summons one specific dragon to, and explicitly says any wizards nearby summon it.

OSR needs mechanics for social interactions. Want to play Gay of Thrones

Reaction, morale, and loyalty rules you silly billy! Even then, those can be handled with just roleplay adjudication from the Referee.

You talk to the referee, the ref talks back, and you share a tacit understanding that OoC need not be as articulate as IC.

Anyone know of good re-interpretations of Clerics without spells? If possible, something that involves a way to collect piety or faith and have it be a factor. I've come across multiple ones so far, but want to see some more personal favorites before I commit to one.

Try lastgaspgrimoire.com/religion-is-a-nest-of-serpents/
or
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-monk.html

Or possibly the Exorcist classes?
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-exorcist.html
Particularly: coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/09/osr-class-book-exorcist.html

>Calling dice "cubes"
>le elves, dwarves, and halflings are subhuman xd HFY wank
>spells "do what they say they do" garbage attempt at simplification
>no mention at reaction checks, equipment, hirelings, or experience which are all things the players need to know to play

Trash post.

I like tying things to morale. This seems like something you could tie to morale.

For a general about elfgaems that encourage trap finding and player skill /osr/ is easy af to bait.

Finding traps by brute force is technically a valid method.

Hey, do you know of any other blogs aside from yours and Andrew's that has GLOG stuff?

>spells "do what they say they do" garbage
What else would they do?

>le elves, dwarves, and halflings are subhuman xd HFY wank
I'm 188cm. Find an elf, dwarf, or hobbit that isn't below me.
More a comment on level limits, but w/e works.

>no mention at reaction checks,
They don't need to know that subsystem.
>equipment,
It's a fair cop.
>hirelings,
Sort of implicit in the Charisma ability?
Also not likely to come up in session 1.
>or experience
They don't need to know that subsystem, either.

melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/, but he's an /osrg/ regular Skerp converted.

Sorry, I'm bad at keeping track of them. :( This guy for sure.
journeyintotheweird.blogspot.ca/2017/11/this-post-is-glog-hack.html

And the gold standard: melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.ca/

>

>>
Quick! Give me some adventures with DOS prompts in them!

Unstable is so dull.

Off topic, but I kind of like it. Veeky Forums shits on everything no matter what, so don't get your news here. And if you want to make it whacky, do a 5 booster pack draft. 3 Unstable, 1 Conspiracy, 1 random pack of any set. Drink a 2oz drink between each pack.

If you ever wanted to know how a Veins of the Earth campaign is supposed to feel, read this storytime on /co/.

>there's a new Un-set
>it's barely different from run-of-the-mill MTG trash
MaRo always manages to find new ways to disappoint.

>that fucking compilation hardback
Constantly annoyed that I wasn't part of the first wave of OSR nerds who did this work and shared the Lulu links.

>butthurt user appears to complain about LotFP module
>module turns out to not be LotFP
>also turns out to not be that bad
>the ref was just a mongrel
Well, no real surprises here.

Your reading comprehension is appalling.

>If anything, having M-Us makes the situation worse.
Insofar as having no MUs means you don't need to say "how much more gold are we willing to look for before this all gets destroyed?"

The sheet aspect for this came to me a moment ago and it took me only moments to come up with something.

>KNOCKER LIONS Draft 0.1
HD: 1
AC: As Chain
Attacks: 1, bite
Damage: 1d6
Saves: As Fighter 3
Move: As Plate/Nil
Morale: 10
Attack the Sheet: Known Languages

A very small creature that looks like door knocker face of a lion, gargoyle, or distressed person. The moment they find a door with no knocker they borrow in and hold it shut tight, and rarely leave. When people wish to use their door they demand a word, such as "open", "swing", or "unlock" to be said in a language they randomly select. Roll d6: 1-2 typical player race languages like common, elf, etc. 3-5 random monster languages relevant to the dungeon/region. On a 6 it's some real odd ball language like Gargoyle or Doppelganger.

I don't see how this attacks the sheet. Are you unable to say the word after you give it to the knocker?

That wasn't my intent, but if that's how you want to run it.

Do you really need to shill your blog twice within six posts of each other? Jesus Christ.

Allow me to rephrase: your intent did not convey, what is it?

You guys are honestly better at answering this than Veeky Forums

Aside from Moorcock, Smith, Howard, and Lieber, who else wrote fantasy short stories that prominently feature a main character/single world? Episodic short stories that slowly develop the main characters really inspire me to run RPGs. These days, it seems fantasy is nothing but epic length novels.

You realize that you're more annoying to read than he is, don't you?

Hey, thanks, that was really good!