Is the typical boardgame box too big? Too small?

Is the typical boardgame box too big? Too small?

.. For what?

Define typical. That's like saying typical person. Not exactly outstanding in any grandiose way, but they all differ one way or another.

Mostly storage purposes, but also other matters of practicability and so too aesthetic considerations.

>they all differ

Note that almost every single box is the exact same size.

They could usually stand to be 2mm wider and broader. Otherwise they're good.

I'm just getting into Deck Building games, and yeah, I think most of the game boxes are too large, at least when I take into account shipping fees for shipping a largely empty box.
That said, a lot of base game boxes are oversized under the assumption that you'll be able to use them to store the expansions.
After a couple of expansions, Marvel Legendary's cards fit better in the rectangular double-card-width premium expansion boxes (with the exception of the play mat and rule book), than the big square core set.
Netrunner and L5R LCG base square boxes seem overly large and not particularly well suited to the components. The boxes seem to fit the token frame rather than the cards.
Shadowrun: Crossfire's base box, with the internal plastic trays fits better with the expansion and sleeved cards, but I kind of wish there was an extra token divider or two so I don't have to dig around in a random tray for different tokens (although I'll eventually solve this with token baggies).
Dominion's Big Box 2 is so big, but having opened it up and understood the internal storage method, it makes sense, but you better be hosting because its a bitch to lug about.

If i can't comfortably sleep inside of it, the game doesn't have enough content.

This is a next-level confusing post.

>tfw no gf to goof around with empty boxes with

Typically, a board game box volume is entirely appropriate for its specific contents.

The typical box can be transported, handled and stored easily while containing all the components of the game. Some game boxes would benefit from being larger taking expansion components or card sleeves into account, but this is an annoyance rather than a serious flaw.

A far more common problem than box size is component storage withing the box. Often nothing stops components from getting mixed up in storage, requiring tedious sorting, or else some games have delicate pieces that shouldn't be left to jumble around in a box I'm looking at you, Space Hulk..

>too big? Too small?
does not matter, one size fits all

The weight, too.

Just right.

Most boardgame boxes are way bigger than they need to be.

Most board game boxes don't accommodate for future expansions, so I'm going to disagree with you there based on that premise alone.

I've got games where the box accommodates half a dozen expansions once you chuck out the cardboard filler and games where you can't even get the base set back in once you assemble the pieces.

> I'll bet I can't make a more vague topic - the post.

>Note that almost every single box is the exact same size.
> Post an image showing boxes in a multiple of dimensions...

I'm not saying you're a faggot OP, your posts say you're a faggot...

What is it with cats and cardboard boxes anyways? Not talking about the "box more interesting than toy" shit but just - why do cats constantly fall in love with tight cardboard boxes that are barely able to hold them?

Most boardgames have a LOT of dead space inside them. It's pretty difficult to justify $30-40 for a few decks of cards to the average consumer if it comes in a tiny box. A few games end up being too small for even one expansion (looking at you, Pandemic).

>Most board game boxes don't accommodate for future expansions

In America, game expansions come in their own boxes.

They're looking for a place to nest.
It's their natural instinct that no amount of domestication could suppress.

But why cardboard then? My cats will pick cardboard over any other material, up to the point where I made them a bed out of cardboard which they prefer to the fancy suede one I got them.

>literally a fourth the size of the final box

Looks like I'm the minority here, but I think they're way too big. I have minimalist tendencies and I have to balance my desire for games with my desire to not have all that clutter in my home.

Most of my games would fit in a box half the size but i like hiding DVDs and chocolates in the box to surprise my friends so it suits me.

Honestly, you’re both right. I feel like base game boxes are way too big for what they contain once you poke out all the cardboard and crack open the plastic, but very few will hold ALL expansion material the game ends up receiving.

Holy shit that looks just like the game cafe i go to! and that guy in the redshirt looks shockingly like my neighbor (though its not actually him. just a doppleganger) weird.