>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/

Well what are they saying?

A ranger, rogue, druid and monk walk into a tavern.

What two other classes will unfuck the party the best?

Is the Xanathar's Guide in the Trove link complete? I found a few that weren't completed yet. Just curious.

You damned fool.

Pretty god party composition depending on path really. May need a cleric or bard for some additional healing power though.

Okay, I did the math. A level 3 wizard can have a radius 40 fog cloud, which prevents the beholder from attacking him. Assuming the beholder's pride would be miffed by fleeing like a little bitch from a level 3 pc, the wizard can hit 118 AC 40% of the time (with +5 dex, because why wouldn't you in this min/max). The attack has both advantage and disadvantage, so they cancel out. If your DM rules that you have disadvantage anyways, then you hit 18AC 16% of the time. Assuming the worst, disadvantage, the wizard deals 1.36 damage per round. A fog spell lasts an hour, or 600 rounds. The wizard can kill the beholder at level 3.

I mean I didn't read the thing from cover to cover but it seems complete.

What's your opinion on spell focused hexblades? I want to play a warlock with ties to ths shadowfell, but I'm going to go with a quarterstaff and a chain shirt and play as a slightly better armored necromancer. Part of me feels like I'm not getting the most out of the class if I'm not a halfplate wearing swordsman though.

Wizard and bard.

>GUY IS SECOND TO LAST
>ENEMIES GO 2ND
>GETS TO HIS TURN
>CLEARLY DIDNT THINK ABOUT WHAT TO DO
>WE ARE PLAYING PURE TOTM
>TAKES 3MINS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>be in a new group
>everyone is new including the DM
>nobody knows what's going on
>there are 10 players

You think you have it bad?

HE JUST BURNED ACTION SURGE TO KILL TWO SKELETONS

HELP PLEASE

>TOTM
>Tits on that man
Get your futa shit out of here.

literally how though. This is 5e. Just attack or cantrip and if you're a ranged guy move away.

You mean by going to the pact of the tome instead of the obvious blade pact? Sounds like a fun concept. A Snake style Bladesinger may also work.

Theater of the Mind

I dont know. He is a Ranger and we are playing with an Arcana Cleric who is weaving in and out and melee range to do things

>there are 10 players
I have 7 players and its rough. I can't imagine DMing with that many people alone.

Spell focused hexblade is actually the obviously better choice. Eldritch blast benefits more from the hexblade's curse than any weapon.

Wouldn't the Beholder just bite his head off?

Other than not using CHA-to-attack-and-damage with a longsword, you don't miss out on anything. You can EB and get your Hexblade's Curse bonuses.

No reason not to get a breastplate or halfplate later though.

This thread first you ding dongs.

Here we go again a-hyuk!

read telekinetic ray you shit

Sure. I was mostly going by his "better armored necromancer" statement and wanted to mention the bladesinger for the frontline benefits it offers through bladesong.

No. The beholder moves 20 feet per round, 40 if he dashes. The wizard can move 40 feet with a movement action if he has mobile.

This only works because the beholder isn't trying anything, it's just floating there waiting for the chance to strike. They are insane, but not stupid. It's pride could hand a tactical retreat while it goes to get something to hit you with.

>assuming the beholder sits in the fog cloud to get shot at and just sits absolutely still for no real reason, the wizard WINS!
The Beholder leaves the cloud and stares at it without antimagic with readied actions until the wizard comes out or the cloud disperses. If the wizard hits him he moves, and then the wizard has no idea where he is until he leaves the cloud to look. Please just stop.

That thread forgot to put /5eg/ anywhere. It deserves death.

The Beholder can ready to Bite the wizard if he tries attacking.

the wizard knows where the beholder is normally, until the beholder takes the hide action, at which point the wizard can attempt a perception check.

I'm becoming an electrician IRL so I want to throw lightning bolts and conduct electricity and build circuits in D&D.

What do?

If the beholder gives up its dash action, you know it readied an action. You can move away freely because the beholder cannot take an opportunity attack against an enemy that it cannot see. (see rules for opportunity attacks). If you're in the cone, move around the beholder while within its space and then away to prevent opportunity attacks.

>build circuits in D&D
Respect the setting you're playing in and respect the difference between out of character knowledge and in character knowledge. Nobody likes the guy who tries to invent gunpower in a bronze age game.

We settled this already. The beholder can use its telekinetic ray to just drop something heavy on the wizard.

so I cannot electrocute monsters via lightning spells?

Sure you can, just play a wizard.

This is a stalemate and doesn't get the wizard any close to winning.
The Beholder can try hiding, whereas the wizard is unlikely to succeed against passive Perception 22.
The Beholder can hide and ready to bite the poor wizard if he gets too close.

If you have to rely on one of these, ranger or outland? Both are nice, but outlander seem more reliable.
>When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would
>you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day

>whining about human-only games.
You are a bad roleplayer. Period. Get the fuck over it. If you cannot stand a "human only" game and you just NEED your dragonborn or dhampir or tiefling or whatever fucking edgelord faggot race you play to make yourself feel cool, then you are a shit roleplayer. There is literally nothing wrong with humans, and 95% of roleplaying concepts can be easily done as a human. What the fuck does being a dragon-blooded faggot add to the game, besides making you look cool, even though you probably don't even draw your character? It just weighs down the setting with more pointless races that no one needs. A setting should have five races, maximum. And the main race should be humans. Why? Because humans are the dominant race. No it shouldn't be elves, they live for-fucking-ever and should be special. An all-dwarf setting? Bleck. I mean, it could be cool for a rare weird setting, but a setting that isn't 90% humans and the other races are mostly a minority, is just fucking stupid. It ends up with the game being like goddamn Star Wars and you need fucking breeding tables to decide what happens when race #482 fucks race #71. It's retarded. What do more races add, besides weighing down the setting? Nothing. 90% of the time, nothing that you couldn't accomplish with a fucking humans with alternate culture. It's easy to do if you're not a shit worldbuilder.

I really am getting sick of these faggots who think they are allowed to play whatever race that they want, and that I will bend over backwards to include it in my setting. For shit-fucking-christs sake, the goddamn Pathfinder Races Guide includes like 10 new ones, on top of 7 or 8 in the core book, plus all the shit from 5e they insist on porting in. It's retarded. Get the fuck out. Extra races are unnecessary.

not by RAW, no.

>play cleric
>cast heroic feast every day

Yes RAW. Read the fucking beholder statblock. We already had two threads about this shit shut the fuck up.

THE BEHOLDER WOULD JUST LEAVE AND COME BACK WITH SOMETHING TO DEAL WITH THE WIZARD

If you don't know where the beholder is because you hid, you don't move. Why would you?

Before responding to any more posts, could you try to think about both the rules and what a person with a brain would do in the situation knowing those rules?

Since the wizard is unlikely to succeed in hiding, and doesn't move, the Beholder would stalk it in the fog and devour his ass.
You don't know the actions of a creature that's hidden, necessarily.

Hope you can survive starving until 6th level spell.

These beholder arguments rely on the beholder being stupid. They are not. The fluff on them describes them as very intelligent and paranoid creatures having a plan for any given and obscure situation. In volos it even suggests that it uses it telekinesis eye in combination with its antimagic eye to squish people. In effect, antimagic the fog cloud, squish stupid wizard with a big rock

Read Volo's you rules lawyering faggot

No, still not by raw. Beholder eye rays are random remember? The wizard just has to make sure that he is not within 30 feet of any 300 pound objects that are not obscured by the fog cloud. And any the beholder does move into the fog cloud, the beholder can't use again. Because the beholder has to be able to see the objects it lifts, and it can't lift objects within the anti-magic field.

Ready an action to move away from the beholder if attempts an attack

I'm pretty sure nobody actually thinks the DM doesn't have the tools to stop the yolo wizard from soloing the beholder. But RAW, the wizard can, and that is the complaint. Both a statement of poor monster design requiring the DM to work more, and poor class design.

So the wizard only wins because the beholder is being played like a retard and doesn't do anything? What the fuck is that?
The beholder uses telekinesis on the boulders in the vicinity and slams them into the wizard, or the beholder tries to collapse bits of the ceiling onto the wizard. Or tries to chase the wizard out of the fog cloud.
Don't have the beholder sitting there like a retard who presents no threat, that's not defeating anything, that's being a disingenuous little bitch.

>it's not RAW if the conditions of the fight are conveniently as in the wizard's favor as possible
okay lad

>Beholder eye rays are random remember?
And? That's a 1 in ten chance that they get to try 4 times a round.

And if it runs out of heavy shit it can just carve some out of the walls with its disintegration ray.

>But RAW, the wizard can
Yeah, by RAW a commoner can solo an Ancient Red Dragon with his bare fists if it just sits there acting like an idiot and doing absolutely nothing.

>disintegrate floor in front of fog cloud
>disintegrate floor under fog cloud previous disintegration revealed
>repeat step two until wizard is revealed

The beholder can't target the ground underneath the fog cloud, because it cannot see it.

An ancient red dragon actually has the tools to deal with wizards though. Beholders do not.

alternatively
>create 10ft pit around entirety of fog cloud
>proceed to hunt down wizard inside fog cloud
>wizard flees fog cloud
>falls into pit he couldn't see

You've only proven the math between a monster played like a retard can also be defeated by a retard player.

Once again, the beholder is only lacking the tools to shoot someone currently obscured by magic. It can't fire on someone in a Fog Cloud, but it sure as shit can get behind a fucking rock for an hour.

Beholders have the ability to move behind a nearby wall/pillar until fog cloud wears off. The wizard is helpless. Easy.

Again, the wizard can only move 20 feet because the difficult terrain caused by the lair action.

This has been explained as nauseam to you, but you never remember that the beholder’s lair actions completely fuck you over.

Why won't the beholder wait the fog cloud effect out? What now, wizard?

At worst the beholder's lair actions require a 2 level dip in rogue to get bonus action dash + expertise on perception.

Okay so we have a consensus now I think.

If the beholder is somehow trapped in a featureless room that isn't its lair and offers no full cover or heavy objects, and is also indestructible so it can't use its disintegration ray for any shenanigans, then the wizard can tediously kill it over like an hour.

drop the disentigration ray clause, the beholder can't target the ground beneath the fog.

also, as long as a level one fighter has a magic sword, he can kill a Tarrasque, provided it doesn't move or attack

And only if the beholder is played like a literal retard who remains motionless throughout the ordeal, a suicidal beholder.

None.

see make trench 20ft wide to counter any potential "but muh wizard easily jumps that"

So now we are at a 5th level multiclassing with feats and variant human versus vanilla monsters, and even then the beholder can sit in the center, dash to the wizard, and then AoO when the wizard moves - or the wizard disengages and moves 40ft thanks to the rogue ability - and then the beholder moves 40ft to them again. The waiting game means the wizard dies.

In the meantime the beholder gets to laser the surroundings to create the large rock it needs to drop on the wizard.

The beholder might be able to escape the room or create an object it can lift with telekinesis or something. Disintegration is too wacky, it'll do something if the room is destructible.

Read the mobile feat again friend.

>Ready an action to move away from the beholder if attempts an attack
Readied actions trigger after their trigger completes.
If the Beholder attempts an attack from being hidden, the attack will complete, possibly killing the wizard in one blow, before you can react.

So now it is an destructible 40ft radius room that is 40ft tall that isn’t it’s lair?

Because the beholder can just move outside the reach of cantrips and hang out for a while on a plane.

>not assuming the wizard is a wood elf using a +1 longbow and critting every turn
You're not even being fair to the wizard

Not comparable. A tarrasque has actions it can take against a fog cloud. The beholder does not, without DM fiat.

>Join online campaign
>It's a spunky brown-girl monk, edgy Warlock and blonde Paladin girl with an explicit vow of chastity

Fair enough, so you figured out a way to deal with 1 of 3 lair actions.

You still can’t figure out the beholder just wandering away from the fog cloud and waiting for you to leave to lair action you to death.

I always thought it amazing that FF1 the best class was all Fighter.

5eg repeats this tradition. Multiple Dex sharpshooter Fighters totally breaks the game. What kind of encounters survive 150-600 ft. range action surged 8x or 12x or 16x -5+10 with +2 Archery bonus and 1d8/1d10 precision die rolled on any likely miss? Absolutely fucking nothing.

And not a single player on the list is a woman or less than 300lbs in real life

>The beholder does not, without DM fiat.
So using the beholder's eye rays is DM fiat? Because the disintegration beam specifically says it can target objects. Are the eye beams random? Yes. Does the Beholder have all the fucking time it needs to complete it's plan? Also yes.

The edgy warlock sounds like a real mouth-breather, but the spunky brown-girl and blonde Paladin are quirky college students that discovered Critical Role and realized they can satisfy all their wildest dreams with anonymous gaming.

I hope monk x paladin happens.

Doesn't bother me. I piss all over the beholder's lair, then cast darkness on my arcane focus and walk back to town.

>quirky college students that discovered Critical Role
I'm sorry, user

It doesn't matter that the beholder can target objects. It can't target objects in the fog cloud, which is the important part.

This whole Beholder scheme is fucking dumb: the Fog Cloud disappears when he looks at it because of the antimagic cone.

it doesn't need to. Target above/below/around fog cloud.

Scenario 1: Drop ceiling on wizard
Scenario 2: Carve pit around fog cloud, turn on antimagic, eat wizard
Scenario 3: tunnel under fog cloud, dig up, create pits wizard can't see

Read antimagic again.
Read the rules for the beholder's eye beams again.

Think thrice as hard as you've ever done, and thrice as long as you usually do.

It'll come to you then.

Yeah, I don't get why this is even a discussion.

... why didn't I think of that?

All this talk about beholders makes me realize I fucked up. One disintegrated the party druid and instakilled the tank because disintegrate in animal form.

I did NOT realize you had to roll for their eye rays...pretty sure I shouldn't tell the party, the druid player rolled up a new character and what's done is done.

Right?

What's to be sorry about? They're passionate about the sessions and I'm always there to guide them back on the tracks when their novice starts showing.

It's an antimagic field, the spell is concentration, the spell effect doesn't persist in the cone even if the concentration is maintained.
If the Beholder would look away the fog would reappear, but it just sort of stops existing while he's looking at it with his central eye.

How about undead or golems? Aren't they immune to crits?

>How about undead or golems? Aren't they immune to crits?

Beholder's minions

tell them you fucked up and keep going. The fallout will be worse if they find out you fucked up and didn't tell them.

That isn't how antimagic field works. It suppresses spells, it doesn't mention concentration once in the rules text.

It would work though, the anitmagic would suppress the cloud and he could just fly up and bit it at that point

Not in 5e. They can also take sneak attack damage as anything else.
So long as its not blocked out by their typical immunities, anyways.

I hope they errata "weapon attack" into the hexblade text.

I have nothing against EB warlocks, but the fact that they've immediately twisted hexblade into "haha, bladelock still sucks" really ticks me off for some reason. The worst part is that I can't tell if it's RAI or not