Vehicle edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Sorry about the late thread. Spent most of the day on Gunpla.

New to vehicles. thoughts?

>Corpse Cart
>Whenever a creature deals [combat?] damage by ~ this turn dies, put a corpse counter on ~.
>Remove three corpse counters from ~: [...]
>Crew 6
Note the crew cost isn't generic mana.

>Siege Tower
I don't even know how to do the first ability, but I'll give it my best.
>Whenever ~ becomes crewed by one or more creatures, ~ gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the total power of those creatures.
>~ can't be blocked by Walls.
Crew has the same problem as before.

>Balista
You're missing an l
>T: ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature.
Crew has the same problem again.

Do vehicles have power and toughness when they aren't creatures?

Fidget spinners spin for like 2 minutes with a good spin
It should be a cost to make it spin, then not be sacrificed.

>301.7a Each Vehicle has a printed power and toughness, but it has these characteristics only if it’s also a creature. See rule 208.3.

Bump. Changed token gen to upkeep, now only works if you have unattached Equipment. Removed Reach.

Should stop a fidget spinner, not untap it. Or perhaps respin it

I don't see why this needs flash.

I really like this, but it needs a shuffle clause.

Oh shit I didn't catch that, thanks.

Would this be too strong if it had first strike and prowess?

No, because first strike works against the reanimation.

Its should probably have flying since the art has wings and she is supposed to be like a phoenix.

That's a good point, I didn't think about that

nah, the first strike works against it's reanimation. and it's high costed enough.
It's abilities are slightly fringe though.
can you crew a vehicle that's already crewed?
Flavorful

Is the non token clause to specific?
Is it too breakable?
Does it make sense?

I like it but 5 mana is a little cheap.
Also it seems abuseable.
You can exile cards from your own library.
Used right this could be a deck thinning machine.
Also needs to shuffle the deck.

HOU was boring to draft, but boy was the flavor and lore amazing. Also Afflict was a fun mechanic but so few cards used it.

r8 / h8

The attaking triggered ability is a little too much iceing i feel.
I love its ability and its seperation from strictly combat abilities like other boros legends.
But the first ability is powerful enough with out the bolt with every attacking servo.

I seccond the other guy.
Being able to flash in blockers and stuff is powerful but trim the fat man.

I also really like this card but agree that it is way too cheap.

Alrighty so, got a ton of work/development done since I got back into it.

I had an issue with both the WUR and the WBR factions being human-focused. (Overlapping design). So, I decided to make the WBR faction go full Skeleton. (Bone was a design theme of theirs, so I just went full into it.) A concern here is the idea of a red Skeleton , which is a bit color bending, but if I change the whole faction to one of skeletons, they kind of have to be there.

I think the Skelefaction may lead to interesting mechanics, but for now they are sticking with Grandeur. Grandeur, however, ended up not being that exciting to draft. It became one of those "Are you drafting it? Then take it" situations, which I don't want. (Lorwyn suffered from this with Tribal, and I really want to avoid that.)

So, any ideas for a Skelebone-focused Red/White/Black faction mechanic?

Pardon pic related's name, just made the change so card names haven't been re-done yet.

I did think of something *extremely* simple like this, which may actually work. Haven't tested yet.

Sounds very narrow for a keyword ability.

>So, any ideas for a Skelebone-focused Red/White/Black faction mechanic?

Take inspiration from Mardu?

An enchantment cycle for my set :)

Seems like you're trying to force the mechanic where it shouldn't go.

I like the mechanic, but think you should choose one color. You could also write it "Shambles #" where # is the token's #/#

Unless each color is REALLY relevant, there's no point on having a keyword that makes a tricolor token. Just choose a color like black and roll for it.

>I like the mechanic, but think you should choose one color. You could also write it "Shambles #" where # is the token's #/#
I don't think its a good idea. Sounds a bad idea to have multiple tokens of the same type on the same set with variable N/N. If user wants to throw more flexibility, it could be:
> Shambles N (When this creature dies, create N 1/1 black Skeleton creature tokens.)

>Seems like you're trying to force the mechanic where it shouldn't go.
The only reason I chose to go with "0: Sacrifice ~." is because I wanted it to be closer to the original cycle I'm referencing, the Seal cycle from Nemesis. I originally thought about having the sacrifice ability as something like "Sacrifice ~: Scry 1.", but I thought it would feel off so I decided to roll with a simple "sacrifice whenever you want" effect.

My other enchantments with that Recur keyword doesn't have such ability.

meant to tag

> Shambles N (When this creature dies, create N 1/1 black Skeleton creature tokens.)
I really like this and may steal it.

I'm not the best at making mythical creatures.

>2GG
>T: Add GGG to your mana pool
wat

The white card isn't a legendary?

Thanks updated. What do you think of the cards themselves?

I like fiefdom, but i think it needs a constant effect or trigger (unless Goats are common in your set). Once the goats are sacrificed the enchantment just sits there doing nothing.

GG
>>T: Add GGG to your mana pool
>wat
I clearly don't know how to balance mythical cards. It originally costed 4GG but last time I posted these everyone said they were way too underpowered for mythicals, so I dropped the cost by 2. Should I go for 3GG instead?

>The white card isn't a legendary?
My bad, thanks for pointing out!

>I like fiefdom, but i think it needs a constant effect or trigger (unless Goats are common in your set). Once the goats are sacrificed the enchantment just sits there doing nothing.
There are a few other cards that create Goats (pic related), but I sort of see your point. I was considering maybe changing the ability to "1, Sacrifice a Goat or an enchantment: [...]" maybe, so you can sacrifice it out. But I should point out that my set has a color matters theme where having an additional white enchantment sitting around might be relevant.

Seriously? Make them sorceries and use Flashback.

Thoughts on this?

I think you should change the first ability to something like: Whenever you play a plains, create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.

Needs a way to tap it.
(1): Tap Fidget Spinner

Increase it's cost by (2) and it should be fine.

I like the theme. It would be fun playing with/against this.

I feel like this costs too much. Maybe make it XXWW?

>
>Needs a way to tap it.
>(1): Tap Fidget Spinner
There you go:
>T: Untap Fidget Spinner.

>infinite taps
I was kinda trying to avoid that. Also, pretty sure it needs to be tapped before you can use untap. So this would make it unusable, no? Unless you add "enters the battlefield tapped" and "doesn't untap during the untap step".

>Seriously? Make them sorceries and use Flashback.
Just two problems with that:
1) Then it wouldn't be like the Seal cycle from Nemesis (enchantments that you can pop to do something whenever you want)
2) My set doesn't feature Flashback.

>I think you should change the first ability to something like: Whenever you play a plains, create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.
That is a good suggestion, though it means losing a card with the Recur keyword. How much would you cost it with that ability + the sacrifice goat to get 2 life? 1W?

> Shroud of Masks
I think that is A LOT overcosted. The default Clone costs 3U, so I think maybe you could cost this guy 3BB and cost its Reanimate with 3BB as well. If you are splashing to blue, you could make this guy cost 3UU instead (but keeping the Reanimate's cost 3BB)

> I was kinda trying to avoid that. Also, pretty sure it needs to be tapped before you can use untap. So this would make it unusable, no? Unless you add "enters the battlefield tapped" and "doesn't untap during the untap step".
Well, can't expect us to take a Fidget Spinner card seriously. But again, endless taps doesn't do shit unless you go some trick up your sleeve that makes it relevant. Also, that is basically what a Fidget Spinner does, spins around and do nothing. Try this then:
> 1, T: Untap Figdet Spinner.
That way, its not infinite taps, you can only tap it as long as you have spare time to play with it (represented on the colorless cost). So if you are bored and have 4 mana left, you can spin it 4 times. And yes, it does work, because you first pay the abilities cost (which involves tapping it), then the ability goes to the stack and just then its effects happen, which by that time, it was already tapped because of the cost.

I felt like it was kinda weird to have the ability recur at inst-speed, but it couldn't cast at inst-speed. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I think I'd just make it an attack trigger for the E, and take Haste off the second ability. I can already imagine people wondering if you can crew a crewed Vehicle.

>Nontoken 1/1 creatures you control have exalted.
No idea how to make the second ability work.

People always seem to focus on the token gen with this card, but I honestly have no idea why. The intention was that the focus would be on the second ability to Shock creatures, and just have the first ability to help enable that. Would you mind telling me why you think the first ability is so good then? If I'm going to focus on that ability, I'd like to know more about it and why people focus on it.

>Flying, deathtouch, indestructible
>When ~ enters the battlefield, each player returns all creature cards from his or her graveyard to the battlefield.
>B: Until end of turn, whenever a creature dealt combat damage by ~ this turn dies, exile that card.
Dunno how to feel about this.

Crew costs are insanely high compared to the mana costs. Consulate Dreadnought is currently the only Vehicle with Crew 6, and it's 1 mana, uncommon, that becomes a 7/11.

Corpse Cart feels like it should just make a token whenever it kills a creature.
>Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

The other two don't even really feel like they should be Vehicles, especially Ballista.

I feel like this should cost more.

Art in use, Agent of Erebos. Oh, that's something else that happened, enchantment creatures. Basically like artifact creatures, they just have another type. I doubt we'll see them again anytime soon. Though I'd be all for it if we could see Bestow again, a keyword I really like.

As for mechanics, this should have U.

I think your card is a bit undercosted for a common

The idea was a better Lightning Diadem. I could increase the card's cost, but I guess it wouldn't be too bad to make it uncommon. I did look up Goblin Commando beforehand, and people seemed to agree it was overcosted. Though that only hits creatures, while this does creatures and players.

I'm working on some draft-matters cards for a cube. Which of these looks the most interesting? Currently, the version in the cube is variant 1, but so far it's been "see orb, pick orb" with not nearly as much politicking about the orbs going on as I'd hoped, so I'm thinking of changing it. The named cards are separate from the draft and are added to pools if the orb condition is fulfilled.

This needs to say Whenever a creature dealt damage by [CARDNAME] *this turn* dies..."

Because memory issues.

Otherwise, seems fine. Maybe a little overcosted.

>I think you should change the first ability to something like: Whenever you play a plains, create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.
What about this? (pic related)

Fixed the wording. I wanted to make a 5cmc cycle of legendaries, for whatever reason.

Is this too good for a common?

Yes. You seem to have a knack for designing commons that are either two busy, complicated, or powerful, or a combination thereof. Trust me, I'm with you there; I love making interesting commons. The trickiest part is the severely limited space you have to design them in, which is why most of them are vanilla or french vanilla at best. You need those warm bodies to a degree to fill out your common slots, but nothing says they can't be efficient. We don't have to make dead-end cards like WotC does. But we also have to be careful not to upset the design outlines for making a decent draft, and that really means commons have to be simplistic and not do too much.

Honestly I'd stick with the second ability; it sort of kind of gives blue a bear (which it's not supposed to have outside of UU casting costs) but with the downside of that extra toughness not necessarily affecting the Raider or even really helping you out at all since the opponent controls what blocks where.

That looks good to me. I think "tokens" should be singular

>That looks good to me. I think "tokens" should be singular
Yes, and I should use the "create" wording for it. Fixed those issues already :)

Thanks. Maybe I will just delete the other vehicles. What mana and crew would you give corpse cart?

>until end of turn

Alright, I can't stop myself from making a dumb ridiculous mythic.
The goal here is to give the player another chance to cast all their instants and sorceries they impulse-drew.
Do we have a slang term for those kind of effects?

>>shuffle into library
>not put into the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone.

Hmm... if it were me, I think I'd make it an XX cost spell that would allow you to copy and cast (without paying the mana cost) X I/S spells you own in exile. Of course you have to prevent repeating, so you could make it so it can't target cards with the same bame as it, or make it something other than an I/S spell. Maybe an activated ability on a creature?

Or... would it be too mcuh to have it cast all the exiled stuff, but make you lose at your next end step?

Wait, what am I saying? Making it have an X cost means it's useless to its own "cast eithout paying mana" ability.

This is a fucking bizarre hoser.
Apocalypse Charm tier. Remove it.

Gives me an idea.

2B
Sorcery
Target opponent loses 3 life and EEE (three energy counters). You gain 3 life and get EEE.

No, tapping it is a cost that is paid in order to put the ability on the stack.

>I don't play multiplayer: the post
That's entirely different though.

Help with wording?

4 mana seems to cheap for a 7/6. Also I think it needs a good ability to be a mythic rare. Without it this could be a common.

Take a look at Craw Wurm

Reminder text never refers to the creature by name, just "this creature"
>This creature enters the battlefield with X decay counters on it. If it would die, instead remove a decay counter from it. If you can't, exile it.
It's still quite wordy (and probably way overpowered in limited)

Another regen replacement? Hm. Personally, I'd make it get +1/+1 for each decay counter, then have a P/T of 0/0. So when it becomes 0/0, it dies naturally. Also I'd change "sent to graveyard" to "dies". But it could potentially work as a set mechanic, though I dunno about it being an actual keyword. Not a big fan of do-nothing counters myself, so things like Undying or Persist appeal a bit more to me. Anyway, final wording (I think):
>Decay N (This creature enters the battlefield with N decay counters on it. It gets +1/+1 for each decay counter on it. Whenever this creature would die, remove a decay counter instead. If you can't, exile it.)
A bit wordy but that's tossing my hat into the ring. I realize it changes things a bit but as it is, it's kind of a lot like Vanishing.

Artifact Lands are a touchy subject. I do like the play on Mishra's Factory though, but for Urza. It's a neat idea overall but I'm not sure it's feasible.

The flavor here is great. Seems balanced to me.

I'd play it. Would have been a great spell to see in Kaladesh.

Okay so here we go; first version of the white commons for this set. I expect them to be thoroughly dismantled by you good people. Feels good to be able to toss them out there though.

Oops, already a problem. has it right; you'd want an "If, then" replacement effect instead of the "whenever" I used. I always screw that up.
>bunnies
You'd be surprised (or not) at how many times I've seen a card like this made over the last... 8 years or however long it's been. Usually it calls for tapping two of them or something though; the maturity counter is a new spin on it. It's questionably balanced since it's so easy to remove but the issue is that the tokens are copies, not just 1/1 Rabbits. So it kind of makes a case for it being blue, not white.

Actually scratch that I wasn't thinking, that wouldn't account for marked damage, toughness below 0 etc. You would have to do something like
>This creature enters the battlefield with X decay counters on it. If it would die, instead remove a decay counter from it and remove all damage marked on it. If you can't, exile it.
Which is messier, and has pretty similar problems to regenerate which is worrying, but I guess it's fine as long as you don't mind awkward interactions with -X/-X or whatever.

The card is two bunnies, flavourfully (I can't imagine a single bunny taking on a grown human; two may have a fighting chance?) I went for the pattern I did just cause it was fibonacci. It is forced into white though I admit

Yeah I got it right away I was just differentiating it out loud from the other versions I'd seen to date. I will say this though: every time someone does it I smile a little because it's funny to me.

Clarity is a way better Pacifism, and you have no other removal otherwise. No artifact/enchantment hate either.

Point and point. I guess 2W for Clarity, and I'll have to replace a creature with an ETB Disenchant on a body. Creature removal is being kept to uncommon for white in this; or at least, that was the idea. Should I rethink? I guess it is a bit odd not to have any.

Ah I see. Well, that warms my heart more than anything else.

These look pretty clean to me. There seems to be a lack of removal in general but that was mentioned before I finished typing... A couple of things that stood out:
>CW13
The antisynergistic abilities seem kind of strange, and though I think it would be fine usually it strikes me as out of place on a common
>CW14
Too good, it's already Pacifism with upside, and I don't think Pacifism effects don't even get printed below 3 cmc any more
>CW18
This is pedantic, but it should be "it" rather than "this creature" here

There are a couple of cards which a pretty similar mechanically, you may want to make room for a Sandblast or a Smite the Monstrous kind of spell.

Thanks I like this. Makes it weaker everytime.

>CW13
Yeah I kind of toiled a little with that which is why it's 1WW instead of 3W or something. I also was trying to make considerations that white gets a common token gen spell in this set that's rather beefy. I was thinking about changing the costing on CW13 and removing Convoke, and adding Convoke to CW15 to spice it up a bit.
>CW14
Been changed to 2W and it gives defender to creatures you don't control now.
>CW18
Well, my thought was it save a little space and reminder text isn't rule text, so I figured it was okay.

Thanks for the feedback thusfar everyone.

consider 0/1? They are just bunnies lol

What does this have to do with multiplayer?

What are some examples of interesting abilities that I could put on common creatures to keep my zombie theme. I tend to move away from common rarity when I start adding interesting rule text.

Festering Goblin-type abilities. ETB tapped for a bigger body than you'd normally get at that CMC. Hyper-efficient body that can't attack unless you control a Wizard. A Zombie that creates a 1/1 black Skeleton when it dies.

Is that art from The Bus? Because awesome if it is.

I don't know how I feel about this kind of Energy interaction. I think it would have been good for the current standard environment, but something about it just seems like it would lead to even more dependence on Kaldesh block for our current standard.
Fair designs regardless though.

>Then they may have each player
What? How does this work?