Fire Emblem tabletop rpg

Yo, what's the best system for emulating Fire Emblem on a tabletop? I'm talkin tactical battles, maybe some intrigue, Sigurd dying for no reason and battlefield brohood. I know there's a few because I'm an adult who can use google, but has Veeky Forums tried making one? And if not, which one is the best, or what's the best system to emulate that sorta thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/join/1555790/AwdcZQ
obelion13.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/fire-emblem-the-tides-of-war-v2fates-1/
rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=59095
drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=79955
sites.google.com/site/quartssrd/home
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I did my own little research into the different kinds. And I found a decent d20 system. But even that felt limited and underdeveloped (and abandoned, by looks of it).
I suppose you could build the foundation on Fire Emblem Heroes mechanics. Reduces a lot of the numbers you have to keep track of (unless you really want that stuff), and is quicker to get into, then you add some core game stuff:

HP: Health Points (hit 0 you die instantly)
Atk: Damage modifier (add to damage die)
Spd: Works exactly like it normally does (reduced by weapon weight)
Def: Physical damage reduction.
Res: Magical damage reduction.

Exp: gain 100 to level up. Each class has a set of stat growths (added to player's growth rolled at the start). For each level roll a d100 to determine whether you gain a point in that stat (roll 100 or higher).

Weapons have a weight and damage die, properties that determine what targets they are good/bad against, and a crit die you roll to determine whether you score a critical (x2 damage) if the weapon can do so.

If you want Hit chance, use a d100. A weapon has a number attached to it, and you need to roll above it to hit. Some classes (Thief, Rogue) have a dodge bonus that increases the required roll.

Use the FE games to add weapons, tomes, and rods. And add some of your own for interesting effects and flavours (such as adding terrain hazard, or fog of war, charming an enemy, or revive ally).

Skills (Athletics, History, etc) are tied to a class. A Mage may have Arcana to work magical objects, and a Thief has Stealth and Sleight of Hand to do their usual things. Don't just use FE game skills, because the Sniper gets a raw deal that way. Invent some of your own. Maybe look at Awakening/Fates, and skills you unlock must be equipped to work (up to 5) but also have non-combat skills if you want to play a social game too.

Just some quick thoughts. I may write it down and play test it, and post results. My group said they'd be interested in trying it.

cont.

I am by no means an expert on board games. My suggestion could be really boring to play. But we'll see.

Here you go, user. Fire Emblem on Roll20.
app.roll20.net/join/1555790/AwdcZQ

Doesn't FE use an attribute to reduce the penalty of heavy weapons? Can't remember what exactly it was.
Also, you have intention of adding those stats to a D20 core?

>Doesn't FE use an attribute to reduce the penalty of heavy weapons?
Con, but that's from the older games.

Strength in newer games.

>mimicking the game mechanics exactly

DON'T

Rolling each of your stats on level up, every time you level up is barely even fun when a computer does it.

I played in an FE game once that did basically what you're discussing here and it was a fucking nightmare.

The alternative mechanic is to allow players to allocate points themselves. Or their growth is static.

Personally I never had a problem with the RNG stat growths, but then again I've never been screwed over by it.

Actually, weight hasn't been a mechanic since New Mystery of the Emblem.

Play Radiant Dawn you filthy casual.

Strike! and D&D 4e are pretty much the best for any grid based tabletop strategy.

They don't simulate the rules of FE itself much... which is imo okay, because one is a single player SRPG, and you are trying to play tabletop with multple people.

I don't use D20 so that would require a bit of learning. Been playing in-person with my group. Might consider it, though. Until then I'd write it on a document.

This is an IF, a big IF. If my player group doesn't like it at all, and some experimentation doesn't fix it, I will probably just leave it.

There's bound to be a lot smarter, more enthusiastic tabletop/Fire Emblem fans than myself.

Yeah, Constitution, as this user said. But Con was a stupid system, so its removal was welcome.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia retained the Weight mechanic from Gaiden

on-topic, though, there's like, Fire Emblem: Warpath by Hammerpriest, i guess, or Tides of War, which is decent, but not my liking

True, but that's largely because SoV was basically just a remake of Gaiden.

I fully expect that FE Switch will resemble Awakening and Fates more than it will SoV. Let's just hope they don't hire a D list mangaka again to write the story

>I fully expect that FE Switch will resemble Awakening and Fates more than it will SoV
If FE Switch resembles Awakening or Fates at all, I'm throwing my Switch out the goddamn window.

Well, nice knowing your switch then.

thing is, New Mystery of the Emblem, a remake of Mystery of the Emblem's Book 2, had no Weight or anything, which is why i pointed it out

On that note, though, I am actually making a FE tabletop, but it's not going too hotly. Maybe I should just drop it, and make a generic fantasy+magic thing?

Gotta be honest and ask you and everyone else on this thread:

Why not use 4e?

4e isn't a bad choice, per say, but runs into the problem of that characters in 4e have a bit too much tactical power. Likewise, things like daily powers feel a bit too potent.

I think it could be used as a good basis, however.

You gotta keep in mind that you are going to be controlling 1 character, not... what's the average? 6? 10? Anyway, not multiples. Which means having one more complex character is good.

>Likewise, things like daily powers feel a bit too potent.

I recommend Strike!. It's a lot like 4e, but removes dailies and leaves the out-of-combat abilities as optional rules. It also has a rule for axe/spear/sword RPS (it's more like a weakness-wheel in general), if that's absolutely
something you want in a fire emblem game.

>4e isn't a bad choice, per say, but runs into the problem of that characters in 4e have a bit too much tactical power.
How is that a problem?

If you're looking to capture the feeling of Fire Emblem, having people able to regularly put down large blasts, attack multiple targets, re-position themselves and others with ease, make multiple attacks and so forth is not conducive to that feeling.

You think having people do the basic attack over and over would be better?

I mean, even if he does... essentials exists.

you need to decide what you want the system to handle mechanically, and what can be left to rp and gm fiat or omitted entirely

FE is a video game series filled with video game conceits, like promotion items and the weapon triangle. do you want these to be represented mechanically?

there are systems designed for grid-based tactical combat, but there are costs to playing that way instead of theater of the mind

how many units do you want each player to control? most rpgs are designed on the basis that each player will control one character, and try to include enough options and choices to make that meaningful. giving a player 4 or 5 characters of the same complexity is going to slow things down massively. a simpler, perhaps rules light or narrative system might handle this better, but will probably not do other things that you want

I see this come up a lot, and to be honest, I know the reason why it always pops up but no one ever really seems to be playing the billion different games that are already out there.
The game itself can be played with a d100, a map and a sheet of paper, with no changes to the actual rules. The only thing really lacking in the base game itself is a set of character generation rules - other than that, the numbers and math involved are so basic that even people who flinch at GURPS should be able to do it.
I thought once about why I was never particularly tempted to play any of the FE tabletop hacks I saw, and I realized that it was because every attempt to fit it into another system or homebrew one requires changing some already very RPG-like rules that work perfectly well in the first place.
Use the avatar creation modifiers from Awakening (I don't know if Fates is different or not but I never want to recommend anything about it) and maybe the child character rules to figure out an allocation of growth rates based on class, affinity (in the games that have that) and personal distribution, and play the game like that. You don't particularly need anything, maybe a calculator if you don't want to bother with actually doing the math.

These mechanics are probably usually changed in tabletop hacks because people want more "modern" roleplaying elements in their game - character advancement and multiple equipment slots - but the FE model is built on skirmish-scale and not personal-scale combat, so you just end up turning the whole thing into a thematic, balance-wise and mechanical mess if you go too far with improving PCs.

If anything, the most desirable option could be to allow a character "reel", with each player using tables to roll for a character and then flesh them out, putting them next in their cast of characters - they can change them out whenever they want, to represent all of them being in the army, or you could even play guest chapters like Ephraim's parts in Sacred Stones and pad out the story that way.
The most important thing is that you protect the design philosophy of the game - it's not made to showcase a single hero, which was why it failed so fucking hilariously in Fates.
Fire Emblem is made in order to support a diverse and disposable cast, which is why it'll feel either narrow or unbalanced if you focus on a more modern style in which players can control character growth (there's a balanced growth rate system in there, and it works as a power level system too).
If you focus on the heroes, the system that's already there collapses, taking the themes with it - to show the strengths of the series, you need to let each player take control of multiple characters alternately or at once, or at least keep a stocked reel of backup characters for when your character dies. Because at least one should.
I used to post on Neoseeker's Fire Emblem boards back in about 2005 and a few years from there - and in the character creation, spritebashing and off-topic threads, the one thing that people enjoyed making up the most was the death quote.
Fire Emblem is built on characters going down fast, sometimes getting shafted and always being at the mercy of the RNG - and to capture that and make the perfectly good rule system there already is work, you need to build your characters as a cast with disposables rather than irreplaceable snowflakes who you'll protect to the point of sniveling under the sink if they die.
Fire Emblem run using 4e will play like 4e with Fire Emblem trappings. If you want to play the game as intended, play it like it shows up in the games.

Came here to post basically this

Copying mechanics and stats straight from the games is easy to do and has led to the best tabletop experiences i've ever had
Especially so if you have online macros handling growths/stat calculations/skill procs but even without them it's not impossible, it just takes a lot longer

But once you've got it all set up, it really is an experience just like the games but shared with a group, screaming together when a random enemy lands a 3% crit on your group and other good shit
I'd recommend it to anyone

I've been messing around with this one, but have yet to really dig into it proper for a campaign. obelion13.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/fire-emblem-the-tides-of-war-v2fates-1/

I've used that, it works as a baseline for stats and skills but the growth system is absolute ass

Just homebrew that out for a % based system like the actual games' (330 points divided among all stats works best) and it's all good

Obviously you'll probably want more skills and weapons than that too, but because of the way it's set up you can just 1:1 copy those from game data or make shit up based on existing stats/calcs without much difficulty and be on your way

FE's equivalent isn't really an RPG, it's a Skirmish Wargame in vidya form with jRPG undertones (including but not limited to support conversations, the fact you control a party rather than a character - this applies to the Avatars; there's not much agency in Robin's or Corrin's decisions, for example, and the way it uses stats and level ups). Like user said above, you can pretty much pick up two d10s, some graph paper, a shitload of character sheets and pencils, and it's done, maybe at best getting some markers for specific stuff (such as Silence and shit like that). FE is basically a wargame with RPG overtones - most Skirmish Wargames, particularly medieval ones, have such things. And that's one of the strengths of the series - the fact it can field such a wide cast, not focus on particular characters (save for maybe the Lords, and even then that's pushing it), and still be fun and enetertaining and have characters you like. I know a guy who used Wendy in FE6, considered one of the worst characters in the series, just because he liked her.

That said, it's probably the game series that translates best to tabletop.

Not exactly. The problem lies less with "you have too much power" and more "you have too much control over the battlefield."

BIG BOSS IS THAT YOU

PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO

do you really have to do this every thread

yeah p much

OP here, I should've explained what I'm looking for better.

>Decent-scaled battles that aren't just five adventurers against overwhelming odds, but a decent-sized band (Even if it means players playing more than one character)
>Leeway for roleplaying/character growth
>Quick and decisive engagements instead of an hours-long HP slugfest (which is why I didn't just go with 4e as and suggested

the big stumbling block is making it feasible for each player to control multiple rpg-pc style characters. maybe look at something a bit more narrative, like apocalypse world

instead of an rpg, have you considered working with one of the persistent-warband skirmish games likes mordheim?

Let's determine what we like about Fire Emblem so we can rip it into a system; just blindly ripping from the game might prove fruitless when faced with wanting to play only one character.

I really enjoy the Prestige classing that happens, but other than that I don't know what core aesthetics I would pull.

I think that’s Venom.

I've never played Reign, but it seems to tick a lot of boxes.

>Pretty lethal combat that still has support for very skilled characters
>Martial Paths are basically classes, you've got paths for swords, axes, spears, etc.
>PCs run a company and fight other companies, can support their company's actions by doing special operations
>Company structure means it's easy to have multiple or replacement characters
>One-roll character generation for less important characters
>Flying mounts
>Magic is thematic and doesn't dominate the game

Only thing you'd really have to do is sort out the magic and make rules for furries/scalies if you're letting your players play them.

One of Savage Worlds' selling points is that it's supposedly easy to run big combats, since anyone who isn't a Wild Card (main character) is "up, down, or off the table," literally so if you're using miniatures. It's also one of Veeky Forums's favorite generic systems, might be worth checking out.

not him, but interesting, do you have a link for the rulebook?

I thought about that earlier. Think we could hack Mordheim to make a FE equivalent?

Check the PDF Share threads on 4plebs.

There's also Reign Enchiridion, a stripped-down version which is $10 in PDF on RPGNow. It strips out all the fluff and most of the Martial Paths, magic, etc. but gives you guidelines to make your own.

rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=59095
drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=79955

>quick and decisive engagements
That is 4e, actually. Needs to follow MM3 math and the players and the DM need to know what they're doing but it follows that. The issue with 4e is how much you can influence the battlefield, which doesn't really match FE's levels.

>tfw no Anna in SSB

oh shit nigga

>Tfw no game will ever make flying mount combat feel as dangerous and cool as FE

Here's one I came across that was pretty neat. Fire Emblem in all but name.
sites.google.com/site/quartssrd/home