The Beast as an RPG mission

I plan on adapting the story of The Beast of War for an Only War RPG campaign, any recommendations on how to go about doing that? also: watch the movie anyways, it rocks

side note: also trying to develop the planet as well, possibly going to be alpine/forested terrain, combination of preindustrial humans and proto-eldar with some daemonic presence (they will be colonising this planet before the great crusade, as they're from a planet thats not earth, but still human)

if y'all want, I can send over my sector notes on their possible home planets/regiments

drop your gmail if you want me to share/send over the notes

I have poor experiences with playing tank crew. Some other anons had a blast with tank crew games, so I suppose it's not inherently bad.
Contrary to others, the movie isn't about killing panzers from beginning to end, so it got a great angle of approach.

Ask yourself what you like about the movie, reduce those elements to building bricks, and use those bricks for your campaign.
Players will mess with your plans, so it's better if you got modular bricks that you can use when needed to produce a good effect instead of trying to follow the movie scene by scene.

Btw, by proto-eldar you mean exodite? The ones with giants robots and laser-armed dinos?

this is just for one mission as in intro to the campaign, it would be a sort of "this is how it all ends up" kinda thing.
and no, since this is uncharted territory canon-wise, they're just like tribal eldar with jezalit eldar lances kind of

The managed to get real T-55s for “The Beast” (Film) but couldn’t get a DShK? Fuck yo vizmod Ma Deuce!

It’s actually a great movie ;-)

That's a 10/10 film, once made a CoC character based on the protagonist of it.

I'd say make a map of where they are to where they're going and make it wide so they can pick where they go.
If they formulate a plan have it work in the short term but have some drawback so they have to reassess at lease once every couple of sessions.

What kind of enemy encounters where you thinking?

like I said, only a one mission thing. thinking of the intial (easy) assault on the village, followed by a minor assault while lost, little while down the way another attack that fucks up their radiator/tracks. and ofc a final battle in which they all die horribly (this is Only War, after all)

Sounds a bit rigid desu, part of the appeal of the film in my eyes was that they didn't have a clue and the only way they had even a slim chance of survival was trying. I reckon if the campaign's too scripted it'd kill that feeling. I'm not saying don't have that shit happen but give them some choice in how it happens.

this is only an introductory mission to the campaign. I can detail more if you want, but this is meant to show, "this is how everything is gonna end up being" and then the campaign starts, many years beforehand, with different characters, just to give them a feel for the environment, the rules, and the general atmosphere of Only War

>also: watch the movie anyways, it rocks
It's a fine movie besides that plot becomes painfully predictable real fast.
>"If you needs something, just nod."

Ah, fair one, didn't understand what you meant earlier. In that case I'd streamline it, have the initial assault then have the second skirmish knock the tank out forcing them on foot. Gives you the chance to show the more primitive nature of the world as the players get hunted through the trees predator style.

huh?

mm. I'm planning on the native humans being basically finns in spehss, just preindustrial kinda
the proto eldar will be very in tune with the planet and the warp, and will have basic wraithbone capabilities, as well as some crude energy bows, but with the ability to thin the veil temporarily, allowing for short lasting Daemons in a very heavily wooded, snowy environment

Pre-industrial as in early medieval or early gunpowder?

still deciding on that. Probably early gunpowder desu

Pike and Shote or Late Med?

heh, t b h becomes desu, nice. probably around early-mid 18th century level

edit: meant for you

Any idea of how to balance that against lasguns? I was trying to think of a way to introduce the locals during this intro session but outside of having a tercio turn up and skewer the players I haven't a clue.

this is all pre-imperium, no knowledge of it. They've found a nearby system (they're from a well-established colony from before the long night) classified in old star-charts as 'Terra Nova' and have seen signs of human activity, as well as alien. They're going to be using probably cartridge rounds, or weak lasguns. The local humans wouldn't stand much of a chance in open combat, but the eldar can pierce their armour easily, and have access to psychic powers, which will fuck their day up hardcore

>heh, t b h becomes desu, nice
How fucking new are you?

entirely new to Veeky Forums aside from culture I picked up off of 1d4.

if they use lasguns, I'll probably scale the difficulty up as well, to counter