media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
Have you encounter monster fighting each other before?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2014/12/11/paladin-use-warlock-spell/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, I like higher CR encounters with natural enemy NPC assists - like displacer beasts fighting blink dogs when you find them.

So if you double proficiency you have to choose another skill right? So what if I choose the same class skill as a skill from my background, I can switch it to another skill that isn't technically on my class skills list.

No, unless stated otherwise.
source: my ass

Yes, because that's what the PHB says to do.

So if I pick Religion for my Acolyte Cleric, I can move it to Athletics instead?
Also does Divine Strike work on Spiritual Weapon?

Spiritual weapon is a spell attack, not a weapon attack, so no

Generated a dungeon with donjon, then edited to fit my tastes and the concept I was going for. Beholder lair built around a planar gate, abandoned long ago but taken over by a witch and her minions recently. My players hit level 3 immediately before entering, but it has still been pretty brutal. The intellect devourer, especially, was absurd.

>So if I pick Religion for my Acolyte Cleric, I can move it to Athletics instead?
Yes. Essentially, any background skill that also appears on your class list gives you a free pick. Both Insight and Religion from the Acolyte are on the Cleric list, so an Acolyte Cleric gets those two skills and any other skills of their choice, plus any skills they might have.

The rule doesn't refer to weapons, but I can imagine an Elf Rogue arguing for more weapon proficiencies. Praise Mask and trust in the darker path, but even if Longsword proficiency has a historical reason for being on the Rogue list it's not a very useful one relative to the scimitar.

Anyone got magical item ideas for an aasimar inquisitive rogue?

Bonus points for making it really work for them and not the goblin deep stalker we have in the party, since both are stealth archers.

So are the only weapons worth using as a Kensai longsword, warhammer, battleaxe and longbow?

Repostan So I had an idea for 5e Lite or something to that effect, condensing the level range as well as changing up the classes to fix various issues I have with 5e that also aren't fixed with other systems like 4e. Basically:
>There are only 10 levels
>Casters are mostly the same while martials get new out of combat options with "techniques" to mitigate the other side of caster supremacy (the first being high-level shenanigans) - martials may also benefit more from getting higher level abilities earlier on
>Balanced for 5 min short rests and 2-4 battles per long rest, instead of the insane 6-8 combats that shifts the focus from battle-to-battle survival, to resource management
>Feats in addition to ASIs for more customization, and more abilities in general to make all characters fun to play with multiple abilities to affect the state of the game both in and out of combat
>All classes are rebalanced with the changes in mind, trying to prevent straight up bad classes like phb ranger and unfair power spikes like level 2 moon druid

Is this a good idea? 99% of it would be on the player side changing class mechanics, not touching the fundamental systems or monsters or anything. "Lite" is probably garbage-tier naming.

In terms of optimization yeah, you want versatile weapons. In terms of fun and for the aesthetic I would go with flails and whips, or pick a weapon from history and ask for fluffing. I'm gonna let my monk use a manica+brass knuckles if he wants to, by reskinning a flail.

Give me your worst ideas for a campaign

I'm kind of miffed that find familiar doesn't scale with character level.

Where's my Improved Familiar feat?

Gazers, Vargouille, Cranium Rats, and Boggles would all make very interesting familiars.

New player here. What are some must have spells for a level 1 wizard?

Sleep.

This

Sleep, Find Familiar, Detect Magic

Fog Cloud

Mage Armor and Shield will keep you alive a looooooooong time compared to what you would have otherwise.

I'd say mark down some clear design goals and draw up a rough draft. I think it could work but it looks to rely more on execution than planning. Probably also change the name from 5e Lite to something that exemplifies what you're trying to do, mostly because folks here consider 5e to be light enough already.

Good in theory, but I don't think you should reduce the level cap. Just make martials like ancient heroes, or low powered saiyans at high levels.

A ritual you like
At level 2 take 3 more rituals you like. I'd take find familiar at 2, just because you aren't going to be finding all the stuff you need for it in the first session

If it's in 5e I'd say any horror campaign. It's incredibly difficult to make it work. Speaking from experience.

Alright, /5eg/. I want to fix Rangers, once and for all, at least for my gaming group and two of my DM buddies who both usually roll with my homebrew decisions.
So, where do I start? PHB Ranger is underwhelming, UA Ranger is OP, Reddit Consensus Ranger is utter shit. What's the /5eg/ general opinion on ranger variants?
I want to keep the classic features (Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer). 'Spells Known' spellcasting is fine by me. Also, should probably keep all the archetype options (including three from XGtE) from breaking down.
Fixing and powering-up each sub-class will probably lead to them differentiating too much though, so I'm hesitant about just fixing those. Making base class itself scale better feels like a better solution.

You don't need proficiency from two sources to pick something else. The Background section says you can pick whatever the fuck you want. They're suggestions. If you want to be an Acolyte with Animal Handling instead, even though none of the Acolyte's skills are granted by your class or were taken, go the fuck ahead. You can build any kind of Background you want or alter the existing ones.

just use the revised ranger it's not really OP at all if you compare it to most of the other widely used options

>UA Ranger is OP
How?

It might not be OP per se, but my biggest issue with it is that Natural Explorer is frontloaded as hell. Anyone in any kind of campaign will want that 1 level dip - ignoring difficult terrain, having initiative advantage and advantage on early attacks in 1st turn is sooo much. Ability to choose ALL humanoids as your Favored Enemy is a lot too.

Either scale its features with level or scale the whole feature with level (you get one benefit at 1, another at 3, 6, 9, like how Monk Unarmored Movement doesn't let you run on water until 9, but it's still part of the same feature).

Frankly I had to put the whole thing in the nerf hole because Natural Explorer was just "I succeed at the wilderness no matter what". I expect Rangers to be super competent at getting around and tracking, not to NEVER face difficulty in navigation or magically knowing where every human within miles is. I don't even let the full casters get away with that shit.

>NEVER face difficulty in navigation
Depends what it means by lost. Does it mean you know the way to everything? Or does it mean you can always find your way back out from where you came?

Well maybe you should.

>letting casters break the game and trivialize whatever encounter with "I cast a spell"
Nah. Let 'em work for it like everyone else. They already have a leg up in having spells that can do fantastic things to help.

The level cap is there to not have to make a lot of new features to rival spells like wish, even if I remove the most insane spells it's just a mess to balance, and having less material to balance in general helps too. I also think a faster progression of abilities is important. For similar reasons I would not try to balance around multiclassing or anything (though I feel like it would disincentivize MCing if anything with substantial features every level).

It probably is my shittiest homebrew yet, at least has the potential to be.

Abridged? That sounds pretentious and elitist but maybe that's just right. Pic is my design goals and reasoning, below is my draft for general class progression. Martial practices are like rituals from 4e, taken from Martial Power 2, though I haven't worked it out fully yet.

1. Basic features and a feat
2. More basic features, a lot of substantial ones like half caster spells and action surge.
3. Archetypes, lvl 2 spells and martial practices
4. ASI and a feat (asi is powerful but pretty boring)
5. Level 3 spells and extra attack
6. A cool class feature and archetype feature (equivalent of a level 11-16 ones), and possible improvements to previous ones
7. Level 4 spells and advanced martial practices
8. ASI and a feat
9. Level 5 spells and advanced fighting styles
10. Capstones, archetype-dependant or class-wide ones (maybe both)

I am playing with the idea of bumping the combat benefits of NatExp to higher levels and keeping the exploration features at level 1, but throwing in some limitations. What I'm thinking about is sort of Favored/Adapted terrain feature to it - you have the terrain type you choose at start as your 'home ground' and a terrain you 'adapt' too after, say, a week of travelling in it. Mechanically those would be the same - all the benefits of UA NatExp.

Which one is the real one?

He was an hour late and has fewer replies. No contest.

So, I'm running SKT and my party is trying to cross the Hand of Yartar. They intend to keep the goodies (some potions mostly) of a job they got with them, since the Hand needed the stuff but no women could get near it because of the Hand's reputation.
So what are some things I could do with them as a response?

Does your concern for higher level play come from your actual experiences with it, or are you inferring?

I ask because a lot of people complain about things at high levels while few have actually played them.

>Does your concern for higher level play
>5eg
>playing the game
Don't be silly user

Sounds like you're trying to recreate E6 from 3.x

So in the elf subrace _Sea_Elves_
they can breath underwater

Just wondering but wtf is this trash, makes no sense.

Also the Shadar-kai are like ghost deathly elves, why do they get a charisma bump??

BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO LOVE THE RAVEN QUEEN user

>Also the Shadar-kai are like ghost deathly elves, why do they get a charisma bump??

Shader-Kai are not elves. They are a human subrace, I've zero clue why they turned up in the elf options.

>After the Spellplague of 1385 DR, some shadovar humans and the children they gave birth to, as well as other humans across Toril that were somehow tied to the Shadowfell, were affected by the Spellplague and transformed into shade-like creatures. Some people associated the birth of this new race with the decline of the krinth, as the numbers of the latter dwindled while those of the "newborn" race thrived. Some scholars among the Netherese speculated that those events where related, and that somehow the shadar-kai were evolved forms of the failed krinth.

>To avoid chaos among the shadovar, Prince Rivalen Tanthul said that they had been blessed by Shar, and called them "shadar-kai" (meaning "Those of Shadow's Gift", in the ancient Netherese language). Prince Rivalen even devised a ritual to change a human into a shadar-kai.

>Shadar-kai became a race unto themselves in the generations that followed the Spellplague. Some shadar-kai remained in Netheril, while others, mostly those that weren't originally shadovar, went to the Shadowfell, the Underdark, or to live across the lands of Toril.

I get the feeling the devs didn't actually read their own fluff.

The only thing I like from that UA were the Avariel, cause that's cool as fuck.

Imagine a tribe of flying elves fighting off a dragon!

>HEY MEARLS WE GOTTA DO MORE RAVEN QUEEN SHIT
>what why
>BECAUSE THE NEXT MODULE IS ALL ABOUT MERCER'S WAIFU
>but the raven queen doesn't have any connection to 5E lore at a-
>SHUT UP MEARLS JUST WORK IT IN OR SOMETHING
>but there's already tons of death gods an-
>NO NO NO I'VE GOT IT, WE'LL JUST REPLACE THE BIGGEST BITCH OF 4E LORE, SHAR, WHO DOES STILL EXIST IN 5E, WITH THE SECOND BIGGEST BITCH, THE RAVEN QUEEN
>but shar and the raven queen have nothing in common except being female and blac-
>GOD DAMNIT MEARLS JUST WORK WITH ME HERE, CRITICAL ROLE IS LIKE 70% OF OUR FUNDING
>no fuck off leave me alone i'm having fun with mystics
>I DON'T NEED YOU, I CAN DO THIS SHIT MYSELF
>SHADAR-KAI, EH? WHAT IF THEY WERE BIRD-ELVES FROM THE SHADOW DIMENSION INSTEAD

>there are people who care about or pay attention to d&d's lore
How?

I can think of few things less comforting than growing up looking like a weirdo with special powers and being told that I am "Shar's Favorite". She's basically the non-fiendish Satan of FR fluff, the oldest deity in existence (along with Selune) and the reason so much of everything is shitty. I don't even know how you could spin her blessing as a positive, given that every other Cleric in existence knows what a total twat Shar is at all times and should be spreading that knowledge around.

>alignment

Spoken like a man who doesn't play a high-tech elf with a robot butler in the canonical Hollow Earth who goes around fighting cavemen and shapeshifting spider people who survived the nuclear fallout of an alien spaceship's reactor core going critical, or party with the King of Tethyr in his palace on a floating chunk of the moon that was blasted free by a laser beam powered by the rage of every dragon who used it to blow up a demonic comet.

Your settings are SHIT compared to the insanity that gets on in canon D&D.

Eh, sounds like some reddit shit. Not impressed.

>I can think of few things less comforting than growing up looking like a weirdo with special powers and being told that I am "Shar's Favorite".

Because it happened in Shadovar. Those guys worship Shar in the first place.

>tfw if this was still the 80s we'd find out that Castle Perilous was actually a crashed starship that Zhengyi glued some rocks to

REEEEE leave my cenobite empire out of your shit, they're not elves. elves already have the drow!

I have not played at the highest level, but I played a 3 year game that ended at level 10 and have had higher level oneshots. Polymorph was the big one certainly, we talked a lot about whether it should be nerfed or banned and I felt bad every time I used it because it just felt OP - the debut was against a wyvern and its rider harrassing us with a spear, the rogue almost went down, I turned her into a T-Rex, she solo'd the rest of the encounter by almost just killing them the next round. Besides that, combat took longer, and we didn't have any other casters than me (and I was a moon druid, barely cast spells at all) so it wasn't even having too many options and taking long to decide what to do.

Besides, as stated the higher level balance is not the only reason to condense it. Hell, just for presentation it's a lot more convenient.

Sitting in front of my notes for the campaign since 4 o'clock. Since then I've
>taken a nap
>eaten food
>found good music to listen to
>poked at my notes
>sniffed my sweater a bunch(it smells like my girl)
>made zero progress

and now I'm getting sleepy again after refreshing /5eg/ 20 times. I hope to have an amazing session for people tomorrow but I'm just Lazy DM right now.

How prepared do you think your DMs have been, /5eg/? In 3.5e it was impossible to not notice. In 4e so much time was spent on player's reading action cards and performing fancy twirls it was almost impossible to notice.

You kidding? Reddit kiddies can't into the old marriage of scifi and fantasy. They'd pitch a fit if a laser gun were in their precious sword-and-fireball fantasy setting. They're even worse on that front than Veeky Forums.
>Wah, this isn't enough like LotR or GoT

I'M SICK OF IT
I WANT TO BE BROKEN AS FUCK
I WANT UNLIMITED POWER

I WISH TO POWER GAME SO HARD IT MAKES DRAGONS QUIVER

TEACH ME THE WAY OF THAT GUY

>he wants the rick&morty audience
no thanks

Be the dm.

>the rick and morty audience is >36yos discussing the fantasy genre of their childhood
Do you realize how retarded you're being right now

Anyone done any interesting scifi tidbits in their fantasy settings? In the last campaign I ran set in a deathforest, it turned out the forest was a malfunctioning terraforming project. The last boss was the broken biocomputer that was running everything. The party decided it wasn't actually much of a threat seeing as they thought they could stop it sending out any more flaming deaths ents and decided to just stay in the forest and keep on an eye on it seeing as the political climate back home might be a bit in the shitter due to magical 9/11.

that pickle joke was never funny user

4e and 5e are pretty similar in that all you really need is enemy stats and a general idea of what way they will be used. Maps, detailed plots and scenarios, enemy tactics, exact combat setup, there are many bonuses but none of it's required user. Improvisation can be an amazingly fresh and exciting feeling, especially if the players don't realize.

What does this have to do with the argument

chill man everyone figured out how to be THAT GUY of 5e in 2015 and nothing has changed. 2 levels Fighter into Divination Wizard. Play it and enjoy being THAT GUY.

go scream at a mcdonald's employee or something

That's feats instead of levels essentially, is what I'm getting? It's certainly intriguing and has definite similarities.

One of Mearl's tweets a few days ago was about redoing the Nentir Vale for 5E

>i'm having fun with mystics
kek

Oh god, Crawford's started beating him already.

...this is going to be terrible.

What's the best way to play a teleporty boy who whacks people with a staff?
I just enjoy popping in and out to smack people in the head over and over.

I guess hexblade could work okay? But it's too edgy. So looking for something else.

Deepstalker or Horizon walker can teleport when they attack, combine this with mobile and you should be able to kite people around ealisy

So I have a question /5eg/

Why are sorcadins usually considered the strongest multiclass? I understand that they synergize well being charisma classes, and the smites and stuff are cool. I guess there is potential with Quickened Spell or whatever, by why specifically sorcerers?

I feel like a Valor Bard or a Pact of the Blade Warlock would work better. Am I wrong?

1.) They aren't considered the strongest class
2.) Sorcery Points

Maybe consider blinking feylock with a cha based shillelagh and booming blade?

1) From what I've heard, they're pretty up there. They get lauded quite a lot whenever anyone asks what the best multiclass options are.

2) I mentioned sorcery points. What about them specifically is so helpful?

>What about them specifically is so helpful?
Extra spell slots and meta magics.

Are the extra slots for smiting? Those need to be paladin spell slots. And while sorcerer doesn't say that they make sorcerer spell slots, it is left up to DM discretion (and it wouldn't make sense for them to make paladin slots)

Which meta magic is supposed to be the most helpful? Twinned spell? On what, your smite spells? So you can have dual wielding smiting swords? Quickened Spell? Your smite spells are already bonus actions. Subtle spell? Please, enlighten me

>Those need to be paladin spell slots
No they don't. Dev confirmed.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link or something? I would like to have something to point to in case it ever came up during one of my games. I'm just going off what it says in the PHB

Since google is so hard to use...
sageadvice.eu/2014/12/11/paladin-use-warlock-spell/

Thank you very much

You literally didn't have to be such a dick about it

I figuratively did.

Yes he did.

Just like his Dark Sun stuff: it's unofficial and separate from what he's actually doing for work. So expect Nentir Vale never. Good riddance.

>Hex Warrior
>The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.

Does that mean I can use a two-handed weapon with CHA if it's a pact weapon?

Yes, that is indeed what the text says.

I asked because two-handed is a weapon property, not a weapon type.

Fairly new to fifth edition player here

Im trying to make a warlock build.
Currently my party is at level 8 and I was curious, What would be the best way to optimize my character?

What i had in mind for him was he found his otherworldy patron through a book that held some kind of lovecraftian power

Besides the obvious Great Old One patron for roleplaying purposes, what things should I take/avoid for a warlock?

as a warlock you are most use EB as for your damage, so just focus on Innocation on that, also a fun thing to do is pick the actor feat, and the disguise self innovation you can can pretend to be anyone and also talk into someone mind to scare the shit out of people while blending into the crowd

what did they mean by this?

He's a big guy.

>dexadins

At least they get screwed over for multiclassing

Shaolin, unarmed fury of smite. Nvm you need melee weapon.