Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/ - Sleepy Space Edition
Tell About Us Your Campaign!
youtube.com/watch?v=XqJkdsqeDxw

>Links
/pfg/ unified link repository (trove contains all current leaked PDFs in Starfinder folder): pastebin.com/fr9piFCi
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

>Veeky Forums Fan Made content
Plant race (drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoNjZvWmVvTWRvSlk/view?usp=sharing)
Fish race (drive.google.com/open?id=0BxorJiX7ellIWDlTOEtibVZuRUE)
Turtle Race (1d4chan.org/wiki/Arocku)

>Things to do:
Run games
Raid the other Science fiction/ fantasy games and steal their map assets
Make a Veeky Forums adventure path
Graph class builds and DPRs

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541987-Starfinder-Dreamscarred-Press-Announces-the-Psionics-Guide-Playtest
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Tell About Us Your Campaign!
I have a six-man group, and five out of six players made soldiers, completely independant of one another.

Our last guy is playing an extremely beleaguered mystic.

I am currently running a game were my pc's are corporate mercenary's. The current mission that they are on is to buy a planet at an abadar auction. Its funny to see what tom foolery they try to do in order to succeed.

Friends want me to start DMing a game for them to get them into the system.
By what level am I going to need to have decided on some kind of replacement DC formula for special starship actions before they get out of hand for average players?

like... 10-15
i wouldnt worry about it much untill then
i would just knock down a few DC for every roll once it gets too hard

My campaign is still in the works because this is my first time GMing. "You wanted to play a space game, you should run one."

As the result of a joke in our discord group I decided the theme for my game will be space princesses. Everyone will have to play as the daughter of the ruler of some form of major faction, either an actual princess or the daughter of someone with significant influence over a significant faction. The game will start off at a ball for the playboy prince to an empire, where he is expected to find a suitor. It just so happens an invasion/coup will occur and all the princesses will have to flee the massive station.

All these competing princesses will be forced to work together to pilot an escape ship, find safety, and then find the prince who had been sent off first in an escape capsule all alone.

The plan is to do a one-shot with the escape and certain resulting events to be the main thing, and if everyone is on board and likes it then we'll keep going from there to save the prince or possibly screw the empire and become space pirates. That all depends on how the initial game goes.

>princess campaign
ha
thats pretty funny
i like you

i thinking of running a campaign for people it will be a colony building campaign. players are on a colony ship and then bad stuff happens to make the colony ship crash or something then they have to eject onto some rando planet and survive. they will meet other survivors, gather resources, meet friendly waifu aliens, meet bad aliens.

they have to build their colony, gather resources, explore the planet, gather allies, clean out threats, and there will be alien ruins and long lost shipwrecks of course that have stuff to find

does that sound fun? would anyone want to play?

Depends on the colony ship

Who commissioned this voyage?
What type of people were brought aboard?
What were the requirements to apply?

Talos are updated with additional alternate racial traits (And a racial feat that interacts with them) as well as modifications to some of the existing ones to make them more interesting. Feedback would be lovely, even if it's just ripping the race a new one for any issues it has (Honestly, especially then. If it's got issues I should fix them).

way
way
way too powerful
you've got like... 10 abilities there...
>can turn tiny
>perfect flying
>immune to poison
>immune to disease
>immune to vacuum
>immune to breathing - and thus gas effects
>+2 recall knowledge
>+2 mind effects
>untrained recall knowledge
>recall knowledge resolve ability
>low light vision
standard races have like 4 abilities
you need to cut half of them out.
also the picture is awful

The attempt to counterbalance the tiny option was the fact that it takes a full round action to access it/get out of it and they can't take any actions other than movement and speech while in it. The Alien Archive has 2 playable races with full on fly speed...Still, that may not have been enough and balacing against that is an iffy business.

>immune to vacuum
>immune to breathing - and thus gas effects

Those two, I'm a bit iffy on calling proper abilities rather than fluff. As Starfinder armour (Literally any armour) already gives you those, so all PCs will already be immune to vacuum or gas unless the GM has NPCs knock them out and strip them. They are low enough that the Android gets them after a list of 4 different +2's (Constructed).

>+2 recall knowledge

+2 to identify creatures, actually. Not recall knowledge.

>also the picture is awful

Finding an image that works for 'Holographic guardian' rather than 'Holographic Waifu' is tricky. Any help there would be appreciated. The previous art (Pic related) was rather too much on the Waifu side for my liking.

You are likely right on them being overtuned, however. I'll see about toning them down without just reducing them to the holographic side of it. The +2 mind affecting is going to vanish, as will the low light vision and I'll add a height limit (As it's hovering rather than true flight) to the projector form and take a look at the immunities.

At the very least on the immunities front, I'll likely include some stuff about 'Diseases and poison that affect technological stuff' as that's mentioned in the rules right now but kinda an untouched area in Starfinder (As they'd have no immunity to say, a nanotech plague or radiation fucking with them but spider venom won't do much. I might make it more clear by limiting it to 'Non-magical, non-technological disease and poison'.)

Thank you for the feedback, I'll do my best to work with it.

There we go. Newly nerfed Talos.

>Immunities clarified to only work on non-magical, non-technological stuff to narrow down it's effects a good chunk.
>Lost +2 vs Mind Affecting.
>Lost Low Light Vision.
>Added a 10ft (So you are still in the reach of a dude on the ground) height limit on the flight.

I also played about with the Protocols to make them flow a bit more naturally.

So I think the immune to disease and poison is fine for the most part. I think maybe the fragmented minds +2 to identify creatures could be made in to a general +2 to one skill of their choice to make it simple. I think that the whole fly speed while in a tiny stone form is neat but maybe put a time limit on it, like minutes per level? just my thoughts on it.

+2 to 1 skill (From a list of the various knowledge skills) would make sense. I'll admit, I'd not valued the 'Can make checks to identify/recall info untrained' too highly because without the actual skill ranks you'll likely not get too high anyway with any reliability. I could, however, be undervaluing it.

Hi there you seem to be new here. That's not how you deal with feedback on Veeky Forums. You need to throw an autistic shitfit about how people don't understand it and it's already balanced.

Only two sessions in so far. The party (Ysoki Mechanic, Ysoki Soldier, Damaya Lashunta Envoy, Dragonkin Solarian) are planning to steal a spaceship and get off the shitty rock they've washed up on. So far both sessions have featured the Envoy trying to bluff their way into the good graces of otherwise hostile people, doing a bunch of utterly stupid things to blow his own cover and getting fucked over in the ensuing firefights he causes.

>So far both sessions have featured the Envoy trying to bluff their way into the good graces of otherwise hostile people, doing a bunch of utterly stupid things to blow his own cover and getting fucked over in the ensuing firefights he causes.

He might need a minder if he's that bad on his own.

Better pic for you.

Well, sometimes you just need to stop talking and shoot people.

dead game general

Anyone got a ship map for a Kevolari Venture class?

Campaign's still in a theoretical stage, though we've gotten maps together and stuff. Going for a salvage crew vibe so that everything turns into a bit of a dungeon crawl, which I'm looking forward to immensely. Someone else is GMing, which is great for my mental health in the aftermath of my Shadowrun game.

Oh, and half our discussion so far has been solely about the soundtrack we're gonna use for everything. I've put forward a mix of Star Wars, Blade Runner 2049 and a bit of EDM, but everyone else has also gotten a say so far and its been fantastic.

tl;dr: Guardians of the Galaxy are a wrecking crew, we're gonna have a great soundtrack

pic related, basically the archetypes we have lined up so far

That's cool. What sort of character are you playing?

How do I get the most out of an unreasonably high strength score?

Attack things in melee

Oh hey, new thread. Playtest is still ongoing here:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541987-Starfinder-Dreamscarred-Press-Announces-the-Psionics-Guide-Playtest

Expect some wording adjustments on the races, and math adjustments on the Aegis, Sometime Soon(tm).

This is the second time I've come across a Letterkenny gif on Veeky Forums. The fact that these show up at all baffles me. I won't complain though, cuz I like that show overall.

decided to take the captaincy and kicked around some form of han solo concept until i realized I could be a pompous ass who's way too full of himself and still be a charismatic character.

always need more of the gang. fucking christ its like they copied the dialogue from half the places i lived in Ontario growing up

Pompous asses are fun to play-hope it goes well, user.

Imagine, an entire planet of tieflings and other half-evil monstrosities.
Is such a thing possible?

So, pretty much Apostae?

isn't that the weird planet-ship taken over by the drow?

Yyyep. Home to drow, orcs, half-orcs, and various other awful creatures. They're also Absalom Pact signatories, and are home to some truly fantastic weapons manufacturers.

I would say there is a difference though between a planet naturally (if that term would even apply) spawning tieflings and half-devil animals to evil elves taking over an empty ship.

thanks!

I'm new to this and I've been doing some test encounters of premade characters of my own and some that paizo made, and whenever I put 2-3 level level 1 characters against a CR 1 enemy they wipe the floor with them.

CR 1 Assembly ooze? dead before it can get in range. CR 1 security robot at the same time? It got a couple shots at the soldier but didn't even dent the stamina before the engineer and mystic both took it out with basic firearms.

Should I make things more challenging when I do a real game where the players will actually use abilities and try not to get hit? Or does that all just sound like lucky rolls? What are some good balanced encounters for low levels?

Do the pathfinder wizards have any place in starfinder?

Of course, user. As clumsy, glasses-wearing goobers whose day you can improve just by helping pick up all the old scrolls they dropped and giving them a friendly smile.

I bring math, math of damage per round.

Not really surprising lessons:
>Soldier kicks everyone's ass at pure damage.
>Pistol Dorks are pretty pitiful, upgrading to longarms should be a priority.

A little surprising:
>The Operative is actually not really that great at raw damage before long as the trick attack scaling does not remotely compete with the extra attacks a soldier gets.
>Using Deadly Aim is 99% of the time utterly worthless. Only use it if you can be very sure of your hit for one reason or another.
>Letting Operatives Trick Attack with sniper rifles would not remotely put them above Soldiers in damage as that extra attack is way too much an improvement.

I can't promise these are the classes pushed to 100% optimisation or that every bit of math is perfect but I think it's a pretty good showing of how the various classes (Save the Mechanic. That guy is still in progress because of the multiple variations of Drone + Human fire rates) line up in damage.

This is a good thing to be working on for everyone who wants to look at hard number crunching and I'm glad you're doing it, but what is a Marshal and where did you find it?

Oh sorry. I didn't remember to remove that from the list. That's a class I'm working on and the impetus for this spreadsheet (As I was trying to calculate relative DPR for a class where a lot of it's damage boost came from 2k1 attacks rather than direct damage).

My aim was for 'Not quite a soldier, as it's got more team support' so the 100 vs 125 level 20 stuff was about where I wanted it.

Here, a version of the spreadsheets without random homebrew class part way through.

>Do the pathfinder wizards have any place in starfinder?
you mean the mystic?

>want to be a Gray Psychic
>Technomancer gets no psychic shit
>+4 int so there's no real other option

>+4 int so there's no real other option
umm..
mech
operative

Since stats cap at 18 at chargen you could be a Mystic easily enough, just a mystic who has 14 int (More skills is something no one dislikes).

16 Wis
14 Int
14 Dex.

what EAC/KAC are you using for your targets?

That's an equal level creature, according to the Alien Archive.

so...what eac/kac are you using?
equal levels creatures have wildly different ACs

Table 1: Combatant Array. Page 129, for designing foes of a give CR and appropriate values for various stats.

right on.
looks like you got similarish stats for your artysoldier as me

im really shocked by the operative DPR tho, holy fuck. 40!?!

3/4 BAB is a lot more downside now that enemy AC isn't 'Hit on 2s' for a lot of levels.

what happens at lvl 8 to make operative jump 15 DPR?

They get triple attack and triple attack is at no penalty compared to normal full attack...but 15 looks wrong. Urg, I might have fucked up the formula when I needed to edit it for the operative's non-usual full attacks.

I'll recheck the math.

Found the issue! The formula was pointing to the single attack damage value rather than the full attack damage value.

oh wow, operative gets triple attack before the soldier. i have somehow never looked at the class before.

i dont think they have any to hit bonuses to their full attack tho. am i missing something? it reads as if they get the standard -4 or whatever penalty

Thanks for catching that. Updated with (Much sadder looking) actual numbers now that the formula has been fixed. Dropping that -2 is a pretty significant drop for them when their accuracy is already rather low (Since the full attack won't get the effective +2 from flat footed).

Yeah, that's what I meant. The Soldier takes increased penalty (-6 rather than the usual -4) when they full attack after the third hit.

jesus christ, and they get movement speed bonuses, and cloaking? and skill bonuses?
holy fuck i should have read this thing b4.

thats what we are here for my brosef, peer review means we all gain knowledge and truth

yeah these numbers seem much more reasonable from my experience with 3/4 bab and full attacks

It's a pretty cool skill monkey but it's offence is very deceptive due to having some Skornergy. It gets 4 attacks by the end but it can't do more than 1 with trick attack so you'll not benefit from both at once. That and it only getting +1/2 spec (Due to needing pistols or operative weapons) makes the on-paper offence look a lot bigger than the end result.

Still, I say that but it's still one of the more competent combative classes and puts out a good amount of nasty effects. It's just not a Soldier or Solarian on damage.

>That and it only getting +1/2 spec
oh yeah thats a killer. like... -5dpr straight off the bat fromt hat alone

good work user
i want to graph them now

Yeah, the Soldier gets 3 attacks and the Operative 4...but then you add in all the caveats that are dropping damage all over the floor.

>Pistols do massively less damage than heavy weapons.
>The Soldier gets +20 to each of those attacks, the Operative gets +10 (So the Soldier has +60 total, the Operative +40)
>The Soldier's attack bonus is a damn lot higher.
>The soldier gets even more damage or attack bonus depending on if they went kinetic or laser.
>The Soldier can get +2d6 on every single one of those attacks damage.

Still, not saying the Operative is bad. Just that it's offence is a lot lower in play than the actual class makes it look.

Well, considering many people's first impressions were that it was excessively strong, that's good to know.

For what it’s worth, your numbers on the latest iteration look very similar to my own on internal benchmarking. Mind building and summing an Aegis both with and without the ability score boosting customizations? I would like a second opinion before I recommend internal changes, plus it will be relevant to the next playtest wave.

I'll need to read over the Aegis, as I don't know it yet but I'll see what I can do.

I'm trying to think of some situation that would benefit from Deadly Aim besides the most extreme edge cases involving automatic hits or high DR and ER. I'm failing.

The Marshal I mentioned BARELY gets use out of it (And even then, it's like 1.5 damage per round). In order to do so the Marshal:

>Is a full BAB class.
>That uses 'Roll twice and take the better' on it's attacks.

By the power of utterly staggering accuracy as your main class feature it's...still not worth wasting a feat on, honestly!

Ok, follow up to , were you looking for melee Aegis or ranged Aegis? Also: Were you looking at 'Spending PP like it's going out of style' or it's round-per round damage as Energy Blast and Forward Battery devour PP like a kid in a candy store so keeping them at full bore doesn't seem like something the class can do for too long.

This is going to get very interesting on the math front as energy blast is an on-miss effect but that's easy enough to add the formula. It's 'Effective accuracy' is just your regular accuracy, inverted.

There /is/ a reason I was asking for a second opinion. My sims so far have centered around ranged combat due to its prevalence in games I’ve witnessed, but anything you want to do is perfectly fine by me. I've been using PP on miss for blast, otherwise conserving it (Like you said, they can burn through their reserves in a few rounds pretty easily if they’re going all-out)

Alright. I'll likely end up focusing on ranged myself (For pretty much the same reason). I suppose working out the damage per round if you go full on offence is pretty easy to add (Since Forward Battery can't ever miss it adds 1:1 with damage per round)

>I've been using PP

But how do we know how much PP an aegis has if we don't have the formula for bonus PP?

TablesMakingAnon here

Aegis has high enough accuracy if you build it right that it actually broke a part of my formulas I hadn't considered when it makes a single attack at level 20 (The possibility of hitting on lower than 2). This amuses me.

Someone mentioned Starfinder in another thread, I think it was /5eg/, so I thought I'd stop by. Can anyone give a me a rundown of what SF is and what it's about? Are the books out? Do they have organized play or do you have to LFG somehow?

>inb4 read the OP
I get that and I likely will, but a summary -- lore, mechanics, meta -- would help that by giving a frame of reference. Thanks.

How much do you know about Pathfinder? Because Starfinder's heart is a heavily modified Pathfinder in space. The two major books are the Core Rulebook which covers both the player and GM side, and the Alien Archive, which is the main bestiary. It's short for that, but includes 22 new PC race options as well as explicit monster building rules; it's fairly straightforward to just build your own or import from Pathfinder's much more expansive monster lists. Mechanically, the system is still rooted in 3.P's d20 system, though it's moving away a bit in favor of some streamlining. 9th level casters are gone, max of 2 worn magic items, weapons with their own item levels rather than a single longsword you start your career with and enchant every so often, and more.

Narratively, it's Pathfinder in space after a few thousand yeras. The main PF setting Golarian is gone, and no one knows where an entire planet went because of the Gap; a hole in everyone's memory and records that ended about 300 years ago. The main setting is the rest of that solar system which forms the Pact Worlds, with the capital in a space station where Golarian used to be. FTL is done by plane-hopping into the Drift, a new plane that can only be accessed with Drift engines. The designs for them were given to the entire galaxy at once by a god composed of three ascendant AIs.

Organized play is called the Starfinder Society, though I haven't kept up with it and have no idea how it's shaping up. It takes its name from the in-universe organization, which is basically a band of adventurers exploring the galaxy, discovering secrets, finding cool stuff, and tripping over plot hooks. The current adventure path assumes your characters want to join, but I don't know how often that will be the case in future products.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I was looking for. Does it allow for legacy PF classes and races or do you have to go SF exclusively?

There are guides to porting them at the end of the rulebook. It's not too difficult to simply homebrew something up.

+gnomes, dwarves, elves, halflings, half orcs and half elves are all in there, at the end of the book.

Can I be a spess kitsune? I'll call myself a star fox and everything.

Sure. I don't think there's anything in their Pathfinder stats that breaks hard with Starfinder.

Don't encourage Augunas.

Too late, user. He's in the system, and he brought Blackmon with him.

God damn it

>Don't encourage Augunas.
As if that's the problem. Right now someone somewhere is using SF to build a Fenoxo approved TiTS inspired campaign. They might even be in this thread right now. Watching. Waiting.

How prevalent is magic in the setting?
Is the cannon setting any good?

It still exists, but technology has largely superseded it. The setting is alright-some three hundred years after Golarion mysteriously vanished and people lost their memories, the Pact Worlds system is at an uneasy truce with the Veskarium, due to the bigger threat posed to both parties by the Swarm. The elves are becoming more insular and paranoid by the day, pirates and doom cults are popping up in the wake of the ceasefire, and warp drives are actually ripping holes in reality. There's some neat stuff.

sounds not shit...
any good place to read it?

yes its good, best part of the book

The CRB and Alien Archive I imagine. There's a wiki I think for Starfinder as well

anyone want to be a pal and drop the pdf for Alien Archive?

i think my game died
i guess i need to get into a new game
i should DM one

What was the game about and what type of game would you DM?

i've been thinking of making a colonization game. the players are on a colony ship and naturally a disaster happens in the warp and they crash land on a hostiel planet and must survive. while on the planet the players will meet friendly aliens, bad aliens, explore ancient ruins and crazy terrain, gather resources, gather allies, build a town, a defeat rival towns. They will find ancient technology and relics to help them, and special allies as well.

No. They are simply too powerful and unbalanced.

How advanced are the Aliens on the planet?
Why would they need to defeat rival towns, aren't we all from the same group and pre-screened before we even got aboard the ship?

Note that I'm using some infiltrators in my Human campaign

>How advanced are the Aliens on the planet?
there are probably several factions with different technology. there wont be mega cities, but there will be towns. there will also be other survivors, from your ship and other shipwrecks.
>Why would they need to defeat rival towns, aren't we all from the same group and pre-screened before we even got aboard the ship?
there will be towns of bad aliens, also possibly towns of rival survivors
>Note that I'm using some infiltrators in my Human campaign
idk what that means

Basically, the ship in my game did try to screen people who came aboard. They wanted everyone to try and have the same ideals and views about interacting with aliens. Think about what NASA does with its astronauts.

But some people infiltrated the ship anyways to sabotage it. Some do not like the ideals of the sponsoring organizations. Some do not like the governments backing that organization. Some just want to destroy it so their group gets the honor of being the first successful colony ship

>Some just want to destroy it so their group gets the honor of being the first successful colony ship
oh i would run my game in the normal starfinder setting, but outside the pact worlds in the vast. the players could go back to the pact if they wanted to once they get a working ship again.

Alright, what reason would this colony ship have for going so far out?

wierd shit happens in the drift, they can get lost and tossed far away

dead game bump

>head bigger than torso
>no helmet
>mercenary/soldier
I guess they dont care.

But user, it's not cool to wear protective headgear, despite the fact you'd have to be a tremendous idiot not to.