A setting in which most or all of Jupiter's moons have been colonized...

>A setting in which most or all of Jupiter's moons have been colonized, but must constantly fight among themselves for control of most resources

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xvs_f5MwT04
youtu.be/Mg8eJZ08_0Q
youtu.be/vLR_a1MAy9I
youtu.be/kmFOBoy2MZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=HdpRxGjtCo0
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wouldn't constant interplanetary battle cost them more resources than they'd gain?

Depends on how much there's to be gained.

How many moons does Jupiter have, and what's so exciting about them?

This, wouldn't everyone be better off through peaceful trade?

Yep, just like back on Earth. Um...

At least 69 moons.

It is like a collection of islands - each being its own country. A lot of potential for stories in a (relatively) small area.

No

That's in my homebrew too, except its not!Jupiter after a failed attempt to colonize a distant star and the recourses are what's left of the colony ship's advanced tech.

Radical Disco Space Rangers?

That's actually pretty close to the series' theme, yeah.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to get resources from the rest of the solar system (we ain’t colonizing Jupiter before Luna and Mars, at the very least) be massively cheaper than war?

I dimly recall there once being a 1 page RPG about a Jupiter colony that one day receives a message that everyone on Earth is dead from a plague and the supply ship that will arrive in several months is the last shipment they'll ever get.

Shit was depressing.

Wars here are cheap. Space battle would be expensive

>Io: large amounts of iron, silicates, sulphur and magnesium, but highly volcanic
>Europa: very possibly a worldwide ocean locked beneath a crust of ice anywhere from 600 feet to 20 miles thick
>Ganymede: more water, again in a subsurface ocean under extreme pressure
>Callisto: maybe more water, lots of silicates and carbon compounds
>the rest: fuckall, most of these seem to be mostly comet-like lumps of rock and ice or asteroids sucked into a stable orbit, we're still finding new ones

Why Jupiter? Huge gravity well and nasty radiation.
Better off with a Saturn(ian?) setting

Bit closer, a lot warmer, not as yellow.

Ahahaha. How do you think people move resources around, between relatively close moons in a radiation dense area, and moving things in-system? Massive fucking mass drivers, that's how. And you know a synonym for "massive fucking mass driver"? A big fuck off space cannon, that's what.

Anyway, espionage and cyber warfare, as well as embargoes and such are all very likely possibilities, as the moment freight sending mass drivers start firing on nearby moons, you've essentially shot right past MAD.

I've got a real love for that kind of setting and it didn't help that Cowboy Bebop 'kind' of did this and did it well and interesting with civil wars, space highways, space truckers, dirty unhappy work camps, very happy but very expensive 'tourist' cities on a tourist planet, etc.. Lots of variation and juxtaposition from how different but close these worlds are. Fun stuff.

If I 'was' gonna do this, though, I think I'd frankly just rip of Cowboy Bebop and a little bit of Gundam, exempli gratia: Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto have all be colonized and (soft) terraformed to host their own independent moon nations. While the neighboring countries are all in united trade-agreements and united front treaties to protect them from encroachment of the more powerful innerworlds (Mars, Venus, and Earth); internal strife and heated planetary politics make this an uneasy alliance as they argue and make passive-aggressive claims towards Jupiter's numerous unclaimed, lawless, moons.

Lemme do part 2 and I'll bump the thread by elaborating on what I figure the planets would be like.

So there's cult of Jupiter right.

>Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto have all be colonized and (soft) terraformed
>terraformed
We're talking centuries at the very soonest. By the time you terraform somewhere like Europa, humanity would've technologically evolved to not need to.

>Io
Jupiter's hottest and 3rd most populated world, it's pre-history of constant volcanic activity and natural density rich in minerals and raw materials lead it to initially become an extremely prosperous but miserable industrial planet. Io took to the terraforming process with some difficulty, but today (while it still is a major industrialized nation) it is home to numerous hot grasslands, forests, scrub land, fertile farmlands.. and inhospitable badlands.

>Europa
The first of Jupiter's moons to be colonized and terraformed successfully; it is an extremely patriotic country that is very proud of it's culture and heritage. Europa enjoy's massive political leverage not just because of it's seniority, but due to it being a heritage site: Europa is the only other planet in the solar system to house alien life- in the form of indigenous primitive marine life. Europa is a scene planet of shallow green oceans and tropical island continents.

>Callisto
The 2nd most populated moon of Jupiter and home to some of the most diverse range of peoples, cultures, and interest groups; some consider it Jupiter's dumping ground of multiculturalism but others swear it's Jupiter's most progressive and comfortable planet, but historically speaking, Callisto is the only moon to have it's OWN civil war and still today is the moon with the most provinces and internal drama. Callisto is mostly known as a 'swamp' moon due to the large, blue lakes that formed in it's craters.

>Ganymede
The 2nd moon to be colonized and terraformed, the largest moon in terms of both size and population, Ganymede is considered the 'face' of the galilean moon alliance- something Europa once had. Ganymede is also particularly special because it is the only moon of jupiter that has seasons (experience a mild winter) and the only terraformed ecosystem where flying birds persist.

>We're talking centuries at the very soonest. By the time you terraform somewhere like Europa, humanity would've technologically evolved to not need to.

I think if you let that kind of thinking stop you from writing or participating in science fiction you may as well just crawl into a corner and die. There's nothing constructive about this kind of attitude, not to, personally bully YOU, user, to death, but some people are just so fucking insufferable about their science fiction.

As if science isn't allowed to be wrong about anything and we're not allowed to fantasize about anything beyond just living and dying on this miserable fucking mud ball for all eternity 'till the sun explodes or we kill ourselves.

What kind of asshole would ever want to live in Jupiter's orbit? Isn't Mars already cold enough?

How is the belief that we'll become immortal postorganic entities within the coming few decades, rendering it unnecessary to spend centuries terraforming Io, anywhere near so cynical?

Moon's Saturn Titan will become the main hub of thinking machines in the solar system thanks to its ability to keep the computers cold enough for massive calculations.

Why don't you make O'neill instead? Much more efficient than colonizing and terraforming planets.

That's more or less the only kind of scenario where this is remotely feasible. Earth (and Mars) need to become completely nonviable as alternatives.

youtu.be/xvs_f5MwT04

youtu.be/Mg8eJZ08_0Q

>By the time you terraform somewhere like Europa, humanity would've technologically evolved to not need to.
How fucking fast do you think evolution happens?

As fast as we make it happen.

No evolution needed. By the time you terraform Venus or Mars, yoy will have thousands of space stations all over the place. There's little point to colonizing sterile world. Better use of resources to strip mine them until not even the core remains.

>There's little point to colonizing sterile world. Better use of resources to strip mine them until not even the core remains.

I'm pretty sure planets -even dead ones- are immensely important when it comes to governing the orbital relationships of all the other bodies within a system. If you get rid of even one I can't even begin to imagine what sort of drastic environmental effects it'd have on basically everything around it.

>can colonize moons of Jupiter
>have to fight over near infinite resources

You didn’t put a lot of thought into this. If they can colonize the moon, they can get everything they need short of food from everywhere between mars and Saturn alone in abundance and, because of the SHEER VASTNESS OF SPACE without ever even needing to see each other.

Clearly its espionage all over the place.

Nice try, Mercury. I'm afraid you have outlived your usefulness.

Inredibly fast when there's astrong pressure for it. Low gravity will cause havoc among pregnant human. Likely all births will je done by cesaria. Ther will be a strong push for skeletons adapted to lower gravity and other significant changes.

youtu.be/vLR_a1MAy9I

youtu.be/kmFOBoy2MZ8

>implying mercury wouldn't be fully plated in solar panels

Wasteful. It is better to dismantled it to begin the construction of a partial Dyson Swarm. It is perfect for building a vast network of mirrors to feed power stations.

>Wasteful. It is better to dismantled it to begin the construction of a partial Dyson Swarm. It is perfect for building a vast network of mirrors to feed power stations.

Wouldn't a Dyson Sphere (while being extremely fucking cool, I'd highly recommend putting them in stories) be actually super dangerous in practice? By that I mean, wouldn't they fuck up the distribution of heat and light to a system because you're snookering all that solar energy into your Dyson? So, while you've got all the energy you'll ever need: you've doomed the neighboring planets in that realm to partial shade and twilight?

>humanity manages to create a Dyson Swarm even though we have developed FTL drives
>turns out humanity is the ONLY species that bothered to do so in such an autistic fashion until our sun is blotted out
>xenos discover us and attempt to invade/war against us for whatever reason
>literally cant even get past what passes for the Sol systems equivalent of mall cops due to shear scale of the defense fleets

XENOS GET OUT REEEEEE

That's why you stick dyson hemispheres above and below the solar plane, sure pluto would still be fucked but no one gives a shit about manlet planets anyway.

We could always permanently redirect and focus some light with the mirrors to distant planets and moons.

Lack of light vivarium(closed cylinders) would work better and help protect against a massive dose of cosmic rays

You're stroking my sci-fi boner user. How hard or soft did you have in mind? Someone already mentioned Cowboy Bebop and that's right up there where I'd want it but throw in casual use of augmentations (not to the extreme of EP) and I see nothing but gold.

In the RPG/War game Jovian Chronicles the Jovian Confederation, which consists of colonies spread out between Jupiter’s orbit and the two asteroid fields following its orbit, they exclusively use vivarium type colonies for exactly that reason.
It also comes with the added benefit of having more surface area within the colonies for large populations or agri-colonies.

Good thing I'm still on earth in fantasy medieval land that hasn't advanced far enough for space flight and knows nothing of any space battles.

Friendly reminder that only Callisto is outside Jupiter's deadly radiation belt.

>How hard or soft did you have in mind?

Milk Chocolate: hard enough to stand on it's own, possess internal consistency, and some basis in actual science things we know, but still soft enough that it melts in your mouth from all the fantasy excitement, drama, and intrigue.

You've got planets being terraformed and they're supporting life both introduced from earth and genetically engineered to subsist and survive on such a completely different world, but it's still very strong-armed and ugly in it's own way with scenes and backgrounds of massive domes, factories spitting out atmosphere, and these great massive unusual "jack-hammering" arms that bang into the planet to make gravity somehow.

The people live in a science fiction world that's on the cutting edge of inner-system space travel, trade, and colonization, but they're still normal people with relatively normal domestic lives because people never really change: people still work trade jobs which they drive to on pickup trucks, people still have smart phones and watch videos on internet shard and broadcasted between all of titans habitated moons, and you still have people going to bars to eat greasy food, smoke, and drink beer after their 9-5's.

Meanwhile up in space people are gearing up for conflicts with massive space-faring naval-inspired fortresses and their accompanying giant mechs to confront and siege said enemy battleships, soldiers have access to energy laser beams & plasma grenades but people still end use using normal old bullets cause the classics just can't be beat, and you've got the enormous "fuck-off invaders" satellite laser right next to the TV and mobile-phone satellites.

Maybe (this is my own personal preference) you could also throw in the developing sub-culture of genetic vs mechanical augmentation who viciously argue with one another over the merits and benefits in much the same moral instigation and disgust that of Pro-life vs Pro-choice people have.

I like the Cowboy Bebop method. Lots of colonized moons and stuff with distinct but semi-recognizable cultures.

Of course, it's just as likely that some of these isolated cultures develop into little Space North Koreas.

War. War never changes.

Ahh yes, delicious.

An idea if I may. so Mechs are fucking awesome and all and I'd never say no to them. But what about combat EVAs? Basically space suits with armored exo skeletons that connect to jump packs to allow soldiers to space walk across the hauls of ships and board them? All out artillery seems like it would be a waste of a perfectly good ship when you can subjugate the crew, take the ship and send the assholes back home in lifeboats with ample provisions?

>Maybe (this is my own personal preference) you could also throw in the developing sub-culture of genetic vs mechanical augmentation who viciously argue with one another over the merits and benefits in much the same moral instigation and disgust that of Pro-life vs Pro-choice people have.

Possibly to live out in the Jovians requries a basic level of augmentation that people are used to but then you have people who push it by doing greater degrees of augmenting and purposefully looking inhuman which offends the sensibilities.

Maybe some procedures are outlawed in the inner worlds systems but can be done around the Jovians

>All out artillery seems like it would be a waste of a perfectly good ship when you can subjugate the crew, take the ship and send the assholes back home in lifeboats with ample provisions?

I'm okay with both, but to add what you've suggested I'd imagine in more personal suits would probably be the norm when it came to border patrol, piracy, and just general SPACE CRIME. You can't just haul out the gundam to cut up their ship with a sword made out of energy, it's tactless, they're civilians: you latch your patrol ship onto theirs, open the air-lock, and forcefully board them while enacting non-lethal-justice and confiscating illegal goods.
Also, maybe have it devolve into a little bit of a Tank Police/Patalabor kind of situation because the police now need gundams because the industrial sectors have mechas and exo-skeletons to do their science fiction stem-jobs more effectively.. And those would make union strikes a little SCARY.

Can we all agree to call the collective peoples of the Galilean moon system as "Jovians" from now on? Anyway, on to the point.

>Maybe some procedures are outlawed in the inner worlds systems but can be done around the Jovians

I could definitely see more ghost-in-the-shell kind of cyborg and genetic augmentation situations happening out in the Galileans: starting up due to the harsh environment, but really developing quite explicitly due to the culture evolving and becoming fashionable once all the flaws and taboos were kinked out.. And that in turn devolving into a massive cultural divide between what these worlds think is and isn't acceptable. Maybe a big hot-button issue is the Jovians are debating about a man's right to convert entirely into an android prosthetic and over in inner-worlds they're like, "filthy degenerate Jovian-libtards, putting their brains in machines so they can be little girls."

>Also, maybe have it devolve into a little bit of a Tank Police/Patalabor kind of situation because the police now need gundams because the industrial sectors have mechas and exo-skeletons to do their science fiction stem-jobs more effectively.. And those would make union strikes a little SCARY.

This is quite literally my favorite scenario. Space terrorist have taken over a terraforming site/mining operation. The police and military forces have surrounded them but are being held off as the mining exo suits and construction mechs have been converted into impromptu weapons platforms. The high tech 3d printers have been hacked and used to print out weapons that are being bolted on them and crude armor mounted on them as well. It's about as ramshakle as turning a Ford Ranger into a missile platform but it works surprisingly well.

Worst still, there are hostages so you can run in with military mechs and curb stomp them because the PR would be really bad.

Not that much more expensive. Launching something into space from a moon is a lot easier in many cases. And of course if you have the tech for constant moon trade, you have the tech for at least sporadic moon war.

>Moon's Saturn Titan will become the main hub of thinking machines in the solar system thanks to its ability to keep the computers cold enough for massive calculations.
I like this idea. Tell me more.

youtube.com/watch?v=HdpRxGjtCo0

>but user, colonizing the moons of Jupiter is unrealistic and inefficient
>what if we added giant mecha?

Just a fore warning I'm stealing a lot of ideas in adanced.

>The creation of Near Light Speed Drives revolutionized the way humanity would conquer the stars we were taught.
>Those massive barge ships would never come into port for they were always on the move, ships coming in with everything from raw ore to people and the second you blinked they were gone
>They still haven't found a way to shrink them down to a more personal ship. Then again the Bargemen would probably kill anyone who did or could what with the profession being 200 years old at this point. Being a pilot in their graces practically makes you royalty.
>Come to think of it. it was around that time when the Jovian Union and the Inner Worlds Counsel was set for war and the like but then the Bargemen took a side, their own side, and said no and far fizzled out as quickly as it came.

Aren't all of those ideas just Jovian Chronicles?

Not really. Only very superficially.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that

So Europa, Ganymede and Callisto control the water supply of all the moons and everyone else wants a slice of the pie with supplies being brought in by the people behind the proxy war?

So, UC Gundam?

But no-one's ever told epic stories about a collection of islands!

jupiter's moons as space-agaean sounds really cool.

Who doesn't want to be a space trucker who hops from moon to moon getting into trouble with various powerful factions?

Wars are very much not cheap - which is exactly why we're constantly having them.

>most or all of Jupiter's moons
Three out of four Galilean moons are bathed in deadly radiation that greatly restricts what sort of colonies can be established. The rest are just small asteroids that are caught in its gravity well.

>for control of most resources
Like what? Water? Callisto, Europa, and Ganymede are self-sufficient with that. Nobody would want to live on Io because it's a hellhole that's way too deep in Jupiter's gravity well. Anything else would just be better sourced from mined asteroids or going to Saturn.

Read about Fundament from Destiny, OP

Ideally we wouldn't be stuck there with monsters floating in the clouds to snatch people up.

How fucked would the first generations of Io's inhabitants be due to radiation?

>We're talking centuries at the very soonest. By the time you terraform somewhere like Europa, humanity would've technologically evolved to not need to.
You may be right but I want to terraform it because I damn well feel like it.

Presumably one of the first steps while planning to colonize Io is figuring out how to negate the harmful effects of radiation.

Pretty cool user

That's where the mention of augmentation came from I imagine. I imagine Ghost in the Shell types of augments would be par for the course to allow "humans" to build settlements that can handle the radiation.

Not hab-blocks with vast domed roofs of heavy metals that block the radiation?

Yes, and?

I don't see why you wouldn't have those. In my personal interpretation of this Mars is still red although there is now enough of an atmosphere that if you have augmentations or a rebreather you can walk outside but cities and roads are built underground with massive domes block the bulk of cosmic radiation getting in.

The further down you go you get into floors devoted solely to industrial efforts like farming and manufacture. So basically a non-edgy version of a 40k Hive city.

Wouldn't you put manufacturing up top and farming down below, with people between? Machines are dense and block stuff, and are closer to resource inputs. Farms are secure and preciously hoarded away from the surface and the sky.

In my mind there would be superblocks that are devoted to these tasks so yeah an industrial block with several layers of factories would coincide with hab blocks and farming blocks where different sorts of farming can take place (massive indoor fisheries and what not) and wild life preserves.

I try to take in mind things like lab cultured meat products and what not being the norm so actually butchering animals would be not only be rare but pretty much the purview of the wealthy and people looking to pay for the experience otherwise the animals are there to support massive artifical eco-systems.

As for power? I don't know maybe massive windfarms to make use of what little wind blows across mars (I know they don't have mega storms or anything) massive solar arrays and Fusion? Probably whatever convient form of power seeing as Near Light Speed has been achieved and resources are being carried across the solar system.

In fact, better off at Jupiter trojans. Same sunlight (because of nearly the same orbital parameters), more easily available resources, same orbital stability, no gravity well to speak off aside of the Sun's.

Yeah, the previous user was wrong in their estimation of what kind of retard you are.
Not the kind who has no faith in science, but the kind who has too much. Or more accurate to say, one raised in a shitty Protestant household so he still needs to believe that the goddamned rapture is coming.

Io is tricky because even if it had shielded habitats, a slow enough landing could cause a dangerous dose of radiation. Ganymede and Callisto can be made very safe by living underground.

Is Sci-fi literally the most controversial topic to discuss on Veeky Forums? It seems to atleast compete quite well against the fantasy autists

Because you're not suppose to have fun with a sci-fi setting. To fantasy faggots it's too close to real life somehow and if you don't explain everything in it they can't suspend their disbelief but put on a robe and jazz hand and jerk off to cast ultimate cosmic shaking magic in a world filled with ye olden dirt farming peasents and mismatched historical bits like knights and full plate but no guns and what not and they say it' gets a pass without issue.

I wish I was good enough at characterization to write an entertaining story in this vein. So goddamn bad with personalities.

And if you make it too fantastical, all the realismfags cry "that's no scifi, that's science fantasy, waaaah!"

You. You, I like.

That's the thing that kills me. When did fantasy become to only mean faggot snooty elves drunken scottish dwarves and power fantasy nerds who can do everything and anything with magic? Not to long ago Buck Rogers and Conan occupied the very same space in fantasy and people were cool with it

>Maybe a big hot-button issue is the Jovians are debating about a man's right to convert entirely into an android prosthetic and over in inner-worlds they're like, "filthy degenerate Jovian-libtards, putting their brains in machines so they can be little girls."

A weird thought came to mind. Maybe that's the tipping point for the setting where the tech is advanced enough to not only enable full body prosthesis (essentially leaving you a brain in a jar almost) but being able to fit into a certain kind of body your meat brain can't be moved in is the next step but comes with obvious flaws or worst being put into a box where all you can do is communicate when some one feels like turning the speaker on and turning on the cameras for you to see.

imagine "Imagine I have no Mouth and I must Scream" mixed with Whisperer in Darkness.

Hey, that weird box we were told to handle real careful like and not to mess with? It's a person.

So Children of a Dead Earth?

Ganymede is the only one with a magnetic field

You know what, I should mention Mars.
user from these posts: I would imagine Mars to be kind of a suffering economy and a planetary nation in it's twilight years by the time all the other planets are the way they are. Mars is a place where rich people live and poor people are trapped and are desperately trying to get off of, but still, everyone possess an almost nostalgic 'pride' towards their Martian heritage.
Mars would be the first in a lot of things: first successful colonization, first successful terraform, first planet to claim independence, first planet to KEEP it's independence, etc.. But because it was the first in many aspects- many other planets were simply capable of doing what Mars did only 'better': Mars suffers so the rest of the system can learn.

Mars is cold planet, it's a cold planet that actually experiences seasons and they're twice as long as earths. Mars is an ecological disaster: the terraforming facilities that revolutionized and pioneered the process are now severely outdated and need to be shut down or overhauled completely and Mars suffers for it: Mars has no birds, Mars' oceans are somewhat empty, their gravity is somewhat localized, and there's a blatant economic divide between the lower-class living out in more exposed areas and the upper-classes living in enclosed biodomes.

Olympus Mons had made Mars the largest and most vital space port in all the solar system: requiring very little escape velocity and home to the systems first 'planetary' space elevator, anybody traveling deeper into space would HAVE to stop at Mars for fuel, repairs, food, water, and that's where they made their money. But in today's times it looks as though despite all the advantages Mars had, they refused to capitalize on that momentum and might be doomed to tear itself apart due to stagnation.
A cruel fate for a place with so much pride and history.

Earth, Venus, Mercury and the moon?