/swg/ Star Wars General

>At Least Bickering Keeps Us Alive edition

Last Thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>Someone reported the Mega, it's gone now, RIP.

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Are you optimistic for the future of Star Wars? Pessimistic?

Why?

It says in the article you'll need to actually own the boxes to use them, so I assume it has some kind of like, proof of purchase integration. You might not need the physical materials to actually run it, but several players crowded around a tiny tablet screen is probably not the ideal way to play.

>Are you optimistic for the future of Star Wars? Pessimistic?
Very. They just seem lazy. Lucas may not have been perfect but god damn he had a vision and he wanted it realised. The new Nebulon b in the trailer just looks like 2 shoe boxes and a pipe. The dominos class Star Destroyer was the final nail in the coffin for me

>Corellian wine
Non-Corellian detected. Real Corellians drink whiskey.

But if a Jedi is standing right next to a hobo about to get shanked, it would be callous and very unaware of him to not at least say "hey, not cool". But of course, this is also called "not being an asshole" and not necessarily required only of a Jedi, just if you use the Force you're kind of plugged into a greater cosmic energy so you should be more aware of this kind of "bad karma".

But lightsabering every thug so they can never stab hobos again is also bad

In the Light Side they do. The Force is both Light and Dark. It isn't an entity biased in favor of the Jedi. Believing otherwise really hammers home what said.

>our version of the force is the only right one and everything else is evil and wrong because the force literally exists solely for us and anything else is just twisting and hurting it except us because we're right and it's our duty to handle all of your affairs because we're right and the force says so

Literal god-complex, which was in EU terms one of the biggest flaws of the Jedi Order. Their one-sided, one-dimensional view of life, the Force, and morality, and a massive arrogance undercutting their supposedly humble ways.

>mfw you'll never churg 15 corellian whiskeys to prep for pvp in star wars galaxies again

Being pessimistic is not the same thing as being realistic, just because bad things happen doesn't mean it's wrong to do good. What is the stupid bullshit that protecting the weak at cost to yourself is suddenly arrogant? Where did it come from? I do not feel it was here even 1 week ago.

The classic Jedi Code is perfectly aware that the Jedi aren't necessarily omniscient or correct about everything. But they are right about some things, including the shit that happens when you cause enough death and suffering to wound the Force. Wounds in the Force are surrounded by weird, dangerous shit that most people (even non-Jedi Force sensitives) would find unpleasant and potentially fatal. Thus, telling the Sith to fuck off is generally considered a desirable outcome by a significant portion of the galactic population even outside the Jedi.

Jedi aren't monks or paladins, guys, they don't "lose their Jedi levels" if they aren't Lawful Good.

Where are the rules for dual wielding, again?

Also, whips have Ensnare and a range of Short, what would it take to pull someone you ensnared to you? Spend advantages or a triumph on the hit? A maneuver, maybe with an opposed Athletics check? A full action?

You can protect the weak if you want to but saying that protecting the weak is the natural order when the entire universe surrounding you disagrees is arrogant. If you think thats the natural order for sentient beings than perhaps sentient life is unnatural and should be removed in order to restore the natural order.

Removing pain and suffering is not natural. Presuming that there existence is inherently bad is not natural. You don't get to decide something like that just because you want to.

what system? D6? revised D20? Saga? FFG?

Remember that one common view of the Sith and those who go to it is that the Jedi (or at least the non-classic-code Jedi) are doing an injustice by trying to restrict and repress natural emotions like anger or pain, and that doing so is ultimately more harmful than expressing them.

There was even a story just before nucanon that I think is still canonical about a Light-side force sensitive who was driven insane by it. The Light side isn't perfect either.

Considering Anakin is miserable under the emotion-choking of the Jedi and the emotion-unleashing of the Sith, I'd say both orders are full of shit though.

FFG

Don't really have time to cope-paste it here but it's on p.210-211 in EotE core. The book should be in a link in the OP.

Yeah page number's enough, thanks.

I thought the Jedi were the normal Force and that the Dark side is a disruption. What’s this light side shit?

Not at all. At this point, Star Wars exists solely as a license that can be used to make money. The dream, the vision, it's gone. It was purchased by a company whose entire schtick is pumping out generic movies for children to market toys. I don't see why it is anything resembling a surprise that the same thing is happening to Star Wars. Marvel is suffering the same thing, except they manage to pump out enough films that occasionally they accidentally make fun ones by letting good directors make their own little projects.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the films at this point, and the real tragedy to me is what's happened to Star Wars vidya since it is exclusively in the hands of EA. And we've all seen how well that's going. Whether it's the cancellation of 1313 or whatever Visceral's game was going to be, there's literally no good news on the front of vidya while we might still get a lucky break on a good film.

>What’s this light side shit?
Fanfiction from sith fanboys

>protecting the weak is the natural order when the entire universe surrounding you disagrees is arrogant
Why is it unnatural? Why are the actions of one group of sapient beings less natural than those of another? And how do you define "weakness?" Infants are weak, but adults of a species are naturally inclined to protect them out of a biological desire to ensure the species' survival. Organisms engage in mutualistic symbiotic relationships. Most organisms find pain and suffering undesirable and/or counter to the propagation of the species. It is thus natural and logical for an organism to desire a reduction in its pain and suffering. If an organism had the means to reduce its pain and suffering, it would be illogical for it to not use those means.

As someone who finds EP7 to be shit, so bad that I consider it worse than the Holiday special if I judge it by its political agenda and flat out lies in its production, I’m scared of whatever comes next.

The ideology you advocate is abhorrent to the extreme and by your own logic you also suggest that inflicting such harm is wrong because you are also making a decision for other beings. You are selling philosophical snake oil to try and sound clever.

>political agenda
Oh you.

>muh strong women
>tfw Leia wasn’t good enough in their eyes

> I’m scared of whatever comes next
A carbon copy of Episode V, the New Order Strikes Back. Featuring our Jedi protagonist learning from a cooky old man on an uninhabited world, the retaliation of the British Empire Nazis against our plucky band of terrorist mass-murderers resulting is their attack against a Resistance base on an ice planet using badass walkers, and shilling a wicked cool looking set of costume armor that hides a non-existent character inside. Culminating with the Red-Saber Black Knight offering the Green-Saber Plot Chosen the chance to join him against the Wrinkled Old Baby-Man, along with a revelation of their shared familial heritage.

Screencap this, because you know it to be true. At best, the tweeeest will be that Rey and Ben actually do join up against Snoke, as opposed to Rey screeching autistically like Luke did.

Nah, there was no politics to Rey. It's just shitty writers failing to give the character the same amount of detail and explinations that kept Luke from being as much of a Mary Sue. She lacks the history shooting womp rats in her T-16.

>As someone who finds EP7 to be shit, so bad that I consider it worse than the Holiday special if I judge it by its political agenda and flat out lies in its production

Go back to the non-existent EP general, Peter.

Somebody in the TFA team clearly went to the "skip showing or telling, shit just happens" school of writing.

You're not totally wrong but feel this is the part where you tell me something really stupid like she flys the Falcon better than Han.

Oh no, I don't think Rey is "overpowered" or anything. I get what they tried to do. They tried to do "show, don't tell", right, but it was not very evenly applied. Poe is great, he's cocky, surprisingly quick thinking, you see him get a literal ace on screen. Boom, you know he's a good pilot, not JUST because somebody says he's the best pilot.

Rey is weirder. Like, the helmet and the scavenging, you kind of get the sense that she knows her way around tech and vehicles, but it doesn't intrinsically make the leap to "also can figure out flying for the first time and beat mooks who have been trained their entire lives for this". It's too ambiguous. Is she a good pilot? Is it the Force compensating? I mean, she has her weird bike thing but it's not like we saw her podrace in it or something.

It makes more sense in the novelization which outright says she does simulators in her spare time.

There were politics to both Rey and Finn.

Not him, but how about me saying something like
>She's proficient at all flying starships, especially doing precious flying and tricks like lining up a malfunctioning turret in an unwielding vehicle like a YT-1300 despite her only apparently background at that point being "desert scavenger with a speeder bike"

>he thinks TFA isn’t the worst shit to happen to the franchise in years

Luke's first action scene is getting beat up by a single tusken like a little faggot.

Rey's is beating up a bunch of dudes with no trouble.

Luke had his ass kicked the entirety of A New Hope. He didn’t mind trick his way out of anything.

That's a very reasonable criticism and I mostly agree, I hope they expend on her life on Jakku a bit in TLJ it's not like they won't have the opportunity to have a few heart-to-hearts on that remote island. That would be a nice bonding moment, I bet Luke's logged tons of sim-hours to.

>simulators in her spare time
Huh. Where, exactly, are these simulators? Seems a weird explanation and feels as much like a novelist desperately trying to explain a poorly-written character into something other than a retarded Sue. If it was honestly a part of her intended skillset from the beginning, how fucking hard would it have been for the writers to slip in a line like, "This is even easier than the simulators!" or an exchange with Dindu Anything along the lines of, "Don't worry, I've done this plenty of times." "You've flown a ship like this before?" "Well... the simulators?"

It's a blink and you'll miss it moment but you can see a simulator in her shack on Jakku.

There were a lot of false promises in EP7. Remember all the supposed practical effects?

Yes, because as I said, the writers of ANH were actually competent story-tellers, and not hacks just aping the flashy bits from an old movie. Rey just accomplishes literally everything that she wants to do Except being an orphan and having that awful English smile for more or less no reason than "Cuz she's the chosen one lmao."

Fair, never noticed it.

They SHOULD have just shown her doing some high altitude weaving through debris on her Popsicle bike. Which the DK book does mention it's capable of. Or better give her a sand version of the snowspeeder so it's even more clear her skills are at flying enclosed ship-like-things.

Wait what? How is it identifiable a simulator?

They did at least deliver on armored extras for closeups, otherwise yes, they had a ton of CGI.

Well, this does kind of illustrate their different lifestyles. Luke is a farmboy who lives on a homestead and has an ol' huntin' rifle. Rey is a scavenger, in a community of scavs, who owns a stick. It could be seen as a deliberate contrast of their characters. Rey can look after herself, but doesn't want to leave her shitball planet. Luke has no idea what the fuck he's getting in to, but he really wants to leave the farm.

See they're supposed to be in the backdrop of her converted AT-AT hut. She has the physical space for it anyway. You are totally right, they should actually, y'know, have said it.

I feel like the writers of TFA assumed the audience had unlimited suspension of disbelief because >Star Wars, but lots of long-time fans have a pretty critical eye. Now, taking it too seriously does lead to autistic dumb shit like "Bigger Luke" and "Force Kick", but there still is a thing called "verisimilitude".

>At this point, Star Wars exists solely as a license that can be used to make money. The dream, the vision, it's gone.
[Ewoks "Nub Nub"ing in the distance]

Lieutenant Kettch XWM Interceptor card when?

The actual canon. At least according to the EU. I know Disney's doing some stupid "bleeding the force" bullshit now.

Worst yet is their marketing. Jesus, that’s the practical effects they’re talking about? They might as well have gotten the prequels. At least those had miniatures.

Oh please. Star Wars was always a marketing thing, but never as aggressive and overwhelming as Disney's made it. At least back then the marketing angle was an afterthought only affecting a few scenes. There was still an actual movie on display.

TFA is just "HEY GUYS REMEMBER A NEW HOPE: The Movie" and RO is "STAR DESTROYERS IM GONNA CUM: A Star Wars Sales Pitch".

Eh, armored extras and a fully painted X-Wing (I think 2?) are pretty nice. Really, the most egregious part of the prequels probably has to be the Clone army being all CGI even close up.

So far they've only used closeup CGI human faces that for Tarkin and the brief shot of Leia since they didn't have an alternative.

But seriously, though, official Kettch card when?

Are you seriously implying Kennedy & co. don't have an agenda they're pushing?

Fucking pic related was an OFFICIAL creation.

Fuck them for Tarkin. That shit still makes my blood boil.

Step off Rogue One you son of bitch.

I unironically want to see Jar Jar Binks commanding his own super star destroyer.

The armored extras were nice but the way they tried to set themselves up as far more practical than the prequels was just disingenuous. I have a hard time trusting anything they say.

They had his family's permission, and it was one of the more fun parts of the movies to see him troll Krennic.

Created by one screenwriter who got told off.

>Find an innovative way to convincingly include a deceased actor in your new film with permission from his estate
>This make some fans mad

But why?

Tarkin and Krennic were among the worst parts of Rogue One, and I loved Tarkin in ANH.

>There was still an actual movie on display.
Have you completely blocked the Ewoks show and all the merchandising that came with it from your mind?

Compared to now? I say it only got worse.

Krennic breaking down slowly and going through the five stages of grief on screen was great though.

Krennic is probably the most wasted potential in the history of franchise.

I don't get it.

No, they didn't. He has no remaining family and permission was granted by a FORMER SECRETARY that now manages the Cushing estate.

Back when Trump first got elected, people on the left started wearing safety pins as a means to show solidarity with immigrants. Basically, the implication was that you were a "safe" person that immigrants could talk to without fear of discrimination or (in the case of illegal immigrants) getting reported to the authorities. It was a thing for a couple of months, some prominent figures and celebrities got in on it, and then it died out.

Apologies, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to misquoting. But yeah, the permission granted from his estate comes from a goddamn secretary. And honestly, even the effects were pretty sloppy and shitty. It would have been far easier and better to just use Tarkin as a hologram so that the distortion would hide the poor quality of the CGI.

RO is a scizophrenic mess of a movie and wastes all of its potential for the sake of muh stor wors references. There's a problem when the best scene in the movie is just Vader cutting up nobodies.

It was U.S. election shit, Americans were doing a Safety Pin virtue signalling thing to say "Minorities you are under attack but you are safe with me so I will edit a safety pin into my profile picture for a few days before it become unsightly.". Someone on the Rogue One team, I don't remember who, did it on their work twitter and then got really defensive about it before someone with a bigger brain pulled him to one side and told him to cut it out.

U.S. election shit, massive amounts of American's on social media thought the world was about to end because they were losing an election so they went mad for a while. It's literally nothing relevant to anyone sane.

Thanks, not an American so I was quite confused.

Yeah, whoever tried to make that a Star Wars thing is a retard.

>It would have been far easier and better to just use Tarkin as a hologram so that the distortion would hide the poor quality of the CGI.
That is true.

Also she was with him for 35 years, it's the best they could manage since Christopher Lee died in 2015.

I'm implying their agenda is neither bad intrisically itself, nor in any detrimental to the quality of the films theyre making.

You gamergate retards have this fucking persecution complex whereby any media that bothers to star women or minorities is somehow made shit by that fact, because you either think women and minorities are and should be below you, or you secretly do.

Fuck off with your retarded /pol/ talking points. TFA was a shit movie, but filling it with a bunch of white men would have made no change to that outcome.

>effects were pretty sloppy and shitty
I disagree, many individuals who didn't know to look for it missed it entirely and assumed he was still alive, true story.

that was a fun couple of months. was really amusing being the only person vaguely close to being a conservative at a business full of far left liberals

>I thought the Jedi were the normal Force and that the Dark side is a disruption.
My distant relative with darker skin tone.

Oh yeah as a Brit following the 2016 U.S. election was some of the most fun I've ever had, watching a normal election blow into total hysteria was hilarious.

Still, using a long-time secretary to haul up a dead man's image in a movie as shitty as RO for no other reason that REMEMBER TIE FIGHTERS just seems tasteless.

Considering Tarkin was the guy in charge of the death star, it would be odd for a story featuring the death star to not include Tarkin.

I’m not from /pol/ or the guy you’re replying to but Kennedy herself spoken about lots of “strong female characters “. Sadly, she doesn’t seem to know that the equivalent of a fanfic self insert isn’t a sign of strength,

Friendly reminder that the term "Light Side" is never used in the OT or PT, it was a mass hallucination that has been manifesting into reality by people repeating it over and over again.

Not a mass hallucination, videogames insisting on having a morality axis and needing something to call the opposite of the dark side.

in related news, i ended up getting something like an extra 10-15 hours of overtime a week because people 5 years older than me didn't know how to react to losing something they had no input in. making extra money is nice

Rogue Wun was bad. Like real bad. Wheres the hate from TFA come from?

OH GOD! It's already starting!!!

We were warned!

Wing Commander General when?!

You people need to stop acting like that is all RO was. It was set immediately before ANH. Of course Tie fighters and Star Destroyers were going to be there.

It was a great war film set in the Star Wars universe that showed the non squeaky clean parts of the rebellion, the hell else did you want?

Anyone got an idea of how to stat the Excalibur out in FFG's system?

>best scene in the movie is just Vader cutting up nobodies
Am I the only one who doesn't like that scene? It's just more of the new films wanking off the OT without any point. The space battle was far better, we finally get some Rebel strike craft goodness that doesn't feel slow as fuck or uses the shitty new versions.

Yeah, the closest you'll come to "light side" in the films until TFA is Yoda's "luminous beings are we" line.

Yeah I was indulging in a bit of hyperbole there, can we all take a moment to appreciate how stupid "Light Side" sounds?

Say it out loud. Chew it over a few times. I guarantee you'll at least feel it's a bit clumsy.

I was at /tv/ when TFA first came out. The rage was enormous. Plenty of old time fans were unhappy.

>It was a great war film set in the Star Wars universe that showed the non squeaky clean parts of the rebellion, the hell else did you want?
It was a shit film with no idea what it actually wanted to be for the first hour or so, with a bunch of 'characters' that could and should've been condensed into two people called Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors. I did like the effects (sans Tarkin) and worldbuilding, but everything was just bad.

Honestly, I wish they'd just used other terminology for the Dark Side because the moment you use the term 'side,' it instinctively creates a dichotomy. If there's a Dark Side, then there's got to be somthing on the other Side so let's just make it the Light Side. If they'd just called it something long the line of corruption or unwellness or something ripped out of the Daoism that the Force apes itself from, they'd be better served.

A single developed character? An entire film about Mads?

>Kyle Katarn
The first level of Dark Forces isn't nearly enough to make a movie out of.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It showed that a military organization hell bent on overthrowing a tyrannical empire would in fact have some not nice people. probably the one part of it I didn't get was why Donnie Yen and his buddy decided to tag along with Jyn and Cas, but really i'm willing to chalk it up to bored homeless force sensitive monk and his bodyguard followed the random chick with a force crystal because they didn't have anything better to do

Perhaps it would have been better never to give it a name beyond the ideology of the Sith.

I miss him.

>a single developed character

Pretty much every one of the people we follow goes through character development. I do not understand this complaint.