/cyoag/ - CYOA General

The Editionless Edition - Edition.

Previous thread: Archives and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Thread q: if you "reset" your life to any particular moment in time, when would you choose to do so, and why?

Sometimes i want to retcon myself out of existence does that count?

OC from last thread.

Also did Bliss change Monster Hunter recently? I could have sworn there was a skill that let you subtly manipulate someone's mind.

And mystery book.

Crap I forgot to spoiler it.

original content is here

I couldn’t do it all again. I’m at a good place and would probably end up worse off. That’s not even considering the pain of not being able to drive, drink, and having everyone around you being mentally a decade or two your junior. Might be fun to try out a few different paths if I have the ability to return right back to where I am, though

sugoi

final page

I'll post this on behalf of its author. It's from last thread.

We already have a thread

I mean monk book right? Reincarnation and all. Plus who would resort to violence against a saintly aura'd guy.

Past the bump limit, genius. We're migrating here.

Can I go hog wild?

But of course. You could be as wild as a wildflower if you wanted to be.

learn to read you idiot, he doesn't want to be a sissy wildflower, he wants to be a hog

Enjoyed this. My only grievance was the ambiguity of spending points on skills and magics in relation to having them "favoured". Otherwise, I like the style and the recurring brevity in the descriptions.

>Background
Frontiersman. A humble abode in the mountains, built by my da' after serving as a knight. Peaceful, hard days.

>Mentors
Innerwoods Camp. Da' used to say that peace was the burden of society--that it was the responsibility of those who admired this ideal to work cohesively to protect it. I aspired to do great deeds, and so da' thought it best to send me to a place with like-minded lads.

>Path
Hunter. The camp was rigorous and tough, almost as much as da' putting me to work at home was. But I had mastered discipline before I had arrived, and so it was down to work ethic, but an evolving one. I had relished the sparring sessions, the tracking, and the encounters. Still do.

>Skills
{e} Melee; when da' wasn't working me, he was training me. I was proficient in swords and hands before I even arrived at the camp.
{i} Stalking; been over 30 years since camp. Only a handful of folks have seen me coming. Nobody yet to see me going.
{i} Mobility; when the going got tough, I got going.
{i} Survival; navigating the mountains is easy, but cities? Those took some getting used to.
{b} Crafting; da' taught me, albeit with his belt, that good tools are expensive and--if maintained--will last a lifetime.

>Primal Magic
{e} Animal Companion; during my trial I encountered a beast I'd never dreamt of before. It was majestic, its mane flowing in the wind, and it ambled with more pride than any dragon, and over still waters. But it was powerful--built like a horse, and larger still. When it turned at my approach, I felt a shiver that I have never since felt. It spoke, its voice reminiscent of a banshee's howl, and asked my name, and then told me what it was called. Grisgeld.

1/3

>Traits (primeval, mystic)
At a glance, Grisgeld was the most wicked thing to walk the world. Some portentous sigil signifying the end times. I'd have fled, but my curiosity outweighed my fear, so I stayed and spoke with Grisgeld. Spoke to it, more likely. Quiet creature. Rarely speaks, but when it does it is concise.

We've always made excellent time in our excursions, only taking detours when I instigate them. I don't know that it fights, but then it has never needed to. Grisgeld won't go near settlements either. I had once tried showing it to some of the old mentors for identifying it, but it would not come. Curious. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who sees it.

>Terrain (mountains, urban)
I'm well-traveled, but my work is in the cities and villages, and my heart and home is in the mountains.

>Enemies
Ettins. Da' hated ettins. Killed lots of them in service to the good King Cole and always called them lessers. Personally, have nothing against them. Met a few savvy ones in my travels, and killed more than my fair share of savages too. For the most part they're honest about their intentions, and at least they always offer a good fight.

Undead. Mayhaps life is unfair enough. Death needn't be so unfair too.

Humans. The wilds and the other creatures never worried da'. He'd say that he had his sword and armor for dealing with those. It was men that he feared most. Men that conspired, that plotted; men that were capricious, deceptive, and nefarious. Men that could harm you without lifting anything more than a quill. It took some time, but I came to agree with him.

>Outpost
Lodge. The fey are strange creatures, reviled by many. I do not know why, for I have found many wonders that they have left behind for others.

Spring. Greatest luxury I've ever known, the spring. I do not like using it, for I fear complacency will set in. I hope to never have to use it, but then there have been times where a visit was born out of necessity.

2/3

>Trial
Ah, it's been so long. Truth be told, Grisgeld stole a lot of thunder from whatever trial it was that I faced. Suppose the important thing is that I survived and passed.

>Artifact
I suppose my memory is so foggy because I was presented with an... underwhelming token of esteem for surpassing the trial. Would you believe that they gave me a walking stick? The elder that gave it to me certainly needed it more than I did. Ah well, I've been carrying it around these days. Can't move as well as I used to and it occasionally helps me find my footing. I noticed that I get exhausted without it, too.

Aging is a wretched experience. Well now, there's work to be done.

3/3

fats gotta fat i guess

No such thing as a bump limit, brainlet. Stop shitting up this board, sage

Can we purchase defenses for cities that aren't our capital?

>The Seven Worldly Truths and How to Accept Them
I'll be a wholesome new age monk. Also being able to control your body and mostly, having a nice afterlife is pretty cool. Do I get my Waifu in the afterlife tho?

It's nirvana, user.
You experience nothing.

I'm going to catch me a dragon.

Changeling
Mentor: Innerwoods Camp
Path: Hunter

Favoured Terrain (2): Forest, Mountains
Favoured Skills (4) : Handling, Herbalism, Hunting, Crafting
Favoured Powers (1) : Command
Favoured Enemies (3) : Dragons, Elementals, Humans

Skills: Expert Handling, Expert Herbalism, Expert Hunting, Expert Crafting (12/20)
Expert Mobility (18/20), Basic Survival (20/20)

Magic: Expert Command (3/15) , Expert Protection (9/15), Expert Hexes (15/15)

Outpost: Garden, Spring

Trials: Hunt (tame) the Dragon

Artifacts: Moonlight Cloak

So the plan is to hunt and tame dragons. My main offensive capabilities are going to be hexes and traps that I build. Non lethal sure, but it'll weaken a dragon. Otherwise, I'm just going to run around and be fast and ride that dragon until it shuts up and becomes my pet. Hopefully it'll run out of steam before I do eh? Plus I have an assortment of herbs that would be helpful in making the dragon sleepy or something I hope. Then I'll spam command into it's brain while it's tired. Should work right? That's how brainwashing works yeah ? Drugs, a feeling of hopelessness, and repetition?

but I want to experience holding her hand. Do I have to choose reincarnation to find her?

Honestly, if I had to go for a more optimized build, I wouldve chosen strider instead of hunter, although technically hunter fits in more lorewise. But the extra terrain (probably wasteland and dungeon?) would be more helpful to a dragon tamer than being able to also hunt elementals and people.

That's the responsibility of the lords of those cities.

Also I forgot to mention you can take an enemy nation to get another allied nation in the text. Woops.

A lot of people wouldn't consider that a "Nice afterlife" so much as it's own thing. It's probably Svarga (Hindu heaven where good folks can chill and enjoy the fruits of their goodness before reincarnating) in which finding your waifu would be entirely possible.

Anybody got that Road Trip CYOA with the bike?

Thank you so much, user. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

You're welcome.

I feel gypped. Why couldn't this be Pure Lands Buddhism instead?

>Kingdom
King Allen the Stoic
Kingdom of Autriche
-Land
Mountains x2
Rivers and Coasts x2
Plains
Forest

-Defences
Narrow Pass
Island

>Capital
Cliffside

-Defenses
Moat
Talus
Reinforced Gate
Portcullis
Barbican
Arrow Slits
Scorpions
High Walls
Bastions
Tunnels
Farms
Wells

>Army
Men At Arms x20
Archers x20
Engineers x10
Healers x20

>Navy
Marines x2
Naval Engineers x2
Dreadnoughts

>Magics
Forge Touched
Synergetic

>Lord's Powers
The People's Strength
Inspiration to All

>Friends & Foes
Allied with Albierne

This is a good one.

>background

Exile. After the death of my father at the hands of a rival family, they now held the leadership of my small tribe and had me exiled. I took to being a ranger to keep myself alive and fed.

>mentor

Saihu took me in and taught me how to survive solo.

>Path

As a Warden I am a welcome sight to travelers and those who live in remote locations, making a name for myself as I slay errant monsters and help take news from one place to another.

>Skills
Expert melee
Expert ranged
Expert stalking
Expert herbalism
Intermediate mobility

>magic

Expert chameleon
Expert imbuement
Intermediate primalism
Intermediate shamanism

>favored terrain

Wasteland (origins)
Forest
Oceanic

>favored enemies
Witches are a blight upon remote villages, as they often retreat to the deep forests to practices their foul rituals. I'm tasked to hunt them down as a warden.
Demons are the other half of the equation, as they are often bound to witches or in pacts with them.

>outpost
Grove, spring. My hideaway is a sacred Grove with a healing spring, a solid place to lay my head and wash away my worries and wounds.

>trial
Defend the town. The witch who is responsible for summoning the h dead must be slain, and I'm just the man for the job.

>artifact

Stick of walking

Is Regina Fischer a reference to the chess cyoa? Are there any other references in the passengers?

>Almost done with the introduction

Haven't put in any of the actual content yet. This is all the introduction and character creation for my adventure CYOA. Mind, the rest of it is written and I'm just putting it together. I plan to fulfill my earlier challenge to myself and release it before Thanksgiving, exams willing.

Normally I would do a small writeup about why I chose what, but my build didn't turn out the way I wanted and I lost a lot of my motivation for it halfway through.

Some thoughts:
Very little input on what our land is like outside the capital.

Unclear on if you can take extra enemies to get allies

Unclear if you have to join one of the two sides to get an Ally, or if aligning with one gets you an extra Ally on that side

Nothing to do with excess resources

Fortifications can't be made out of stone under Defenses, for some reasons

While I'm confident in my ability to manage my Taints, I'm not so confident in the case of any future children. The chance one of them goes tyrannical is so antithetical to my role as a King that I can't stain my bloodline with them

Looking forward to it.

I'd guess she is. There's Cave Johnson and Hatsune Miku, and Patricia Norris doesn't sound a lot like her source image (quite the opposite) but does share initials

...Finesse + Psionic?

Ah, I took a closer look and found Psionic. Could have sworn it was in the Ethereal tree.

Is Misaki a trap?

dont think so
she just seems to be in the midst of a mental breakdown...and maybe cursed

I assumed she was either a ghost or some kind of medium.

well just read the bottom of page 3

There are quite a few! Most of them are minor level, and not even Regina is meant to *actually be* the same character, though perhaps some sort of alternate-universe version. My favorite is Red Jackie though I don't think there's a single person here with the right cross-over to "get" that reference

If you mean "Is there a dick under there?"? No. Not unless you Sarte it, I guess, but then everything is a trap and nothing is. If you mean "Secretly a dangerous psychotic or other spook who will probably murder you"? Still no. nailed it, she's been through hell (probably not literally, I mentioned her in the "Skinlings" writeup to imply that's what caused her break) and come out the other side but it took its toll on her sanity. And possibly left her cursed.

For whatever reason, it took you actually saying the name outside the cyoa for me to make the connection that the name was an inversion of the portrait.Blue Mary.

Best of luck to you, user!
At this point I feel suicidal, but damnit it'll have to wait until after I'm done with this.

It got shifted when the Elemental tree got added and several Arcane skills got moved there.

Nice. I love to see these cards.

what happens if I actually ask to buy some of the other books too?
and I would choose
The Hedge Mage's Tome
> Could possibly learn beyond the book but its a good starting point
>possibly find and enroll in a wizardry school
Yoi Panchi: A Handbook
>fighting skills are always nice
God-like skill for Dummies
>magic skill

>What happens if I actually ask to buy some of the other books too?
Each book has a price tag of one fiddle made of gold, so you're not getting anything.

>Magic skill
As everything that magic does is inherently impossible, that'd be a waste of a book.

>As everything that magic does is inherently impossible, that'd be a waste of a book.
That's pretty stupid seeing as there's a book that teaches you the basics of magic/cantrips, so obviously that "skill" on use exists.

Fixed threats, now it should show properly how boned some people are. Also added the newest version builds. Did an image compare and turns out all the changes are mechanically cosmetic.

You know, it's a rare cyoa where the companions page is actually the low point of an other wise awesome adventure.

Really the options with anime pics are collectively the worst part about this one. I'm just complaining though, I do like it other wise. I'll post my build in a minute

The last year before I went to study overseas. I would love to see what other kinds of roads I could have taken. Not to mention saying proper goodbyes to my friends back then. I was a very shy 12 year old. I am 30 now without a degree, without friends, without a goal, without meaning in life. I haven't had meaningful conversation with anyone in the last two month. Funny how all this time every cyoa I chose immortality. Because now all I wish upon me is some form of relief in death.

>everybody picking monk book
Lame
>travelers guide
I would but then I'd NEVER be able to just relax and buy a nice house.
>Fantatic Adventures
Awesome! Wait...[Mundane treasure] aw maan..but some of those stories are full of supernatural junk, like mystic rubies and ancient curses! I feel so deflated. I'll pick it...but I'm not entirely happy.

>mystery book
...Im gonna show my weeb here but honestly I'd watch an anime like that..i might have to change my choice.

Made a build in excel, but no time to post. I'll offer some feedback on what I saw.

>There should be more to do with resources. I had starting 27500 labor plus a 30% discount on labor costs. I thought that that would affect my build, but it didn't in the slightest.
>I took about eleven upgrades for my castle and seven troop types, focusing on archery and weakening the enemy at a distance. A nice moat and some high, fortified walls. I paid for all the expensive troops aside from the ships, and only couple ship types, just to defend the rivers.
>I ended off with an excess of 19000+ labor, 7500+ stone and 5000+wood. I might as well go back and buy everything I missed.
>Additionally, I think giving 2 magics/2 lord powers for every curse/taint is a bit much. The powers are pretty darn cool, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks just a bit too much.
>Allies and enemies are pretty great. Like other have said though, the instructions are a bit confusing here. After all, if everybody on each side is already sort of allied against your enemies, it doesn't feel like the stakes are as high, since in a dire situation you can probably call on their help.

Overall, I really like your descriptions and image choices. It's a nice looking CYOA with a lot of good stuff going for it. If you're looking for new options to add, I would say that tiers options for soldiers might make a good point-sink. Also, it might be interesting to have a base pool of fantasy races to choose from so the player has a better feel of how they fit in the world.

Here's an example of the tier options I mentioned. You don't have to be specific for each army type, but this would be cool to see.

>Men-at-arms
>Tier one: Base Cost
>Desc: Peasants armed with spears who patrol the castle walls. Can push ladders off the walls, but not much in a real fight.
>Tier two: 2x Cost
>Desc: A greater number of part-time militiamen who train regularly. Can hold their own, though would require support against a professional army.
>Tier three: 4x Cost
>A professional army of trained swordsmen capable of defending both the walls and the city against well-armed foes.
Tier four: 8x Cost
>Your men-at-arms are famed across the land for their skill in war. Can be counted on in dire situations to turn the tide, and can hold their ground even in the face of great beasts.

When I made my build I just figured we were buying individual units, but I like the idea of a system like this a lot better. I mean, the big issue with buying units every time I've seen it used in a CYOA is just that I have no clue how big other nation's armies are, and how big the rest of my own army is. Like, are these a significant portion of my army, my entire army, a core elite, and if they are just how elite are they, and so on. I think it's easier to leave numbers general, maybe throw out a rough estimate for standard army sizes, and instead just use general quantifiers to describe sizes so you can get a feel for whether or not your army would be very large or relatively small, and then the descriptions of the units themselves and their strengths tells you whether it's an elite, professional force or a more sort of peasant levy type we'll take what we can get.

Oh fuck yeah this looks like my kinda cyoa

>>Hedge Mage's Tome
Hm, I do like the utility factor. I could set up some pretty basic traps if I wanted to go combat mage if that's really necessary.

>>Yoi Panchi
Well, could be ripped.. But beyond that not much I'm interested in. Best martial art in the world can only do so much to make up the difference between you and a pistol.

>>Extraordinary Tales
Neat. I'd be decently curious enough about this.

>>God-like Skill for Dummies
Not sure that icecream and ramen can be made into something delicious but... Near impossible levels of skill in anything could be Damn useful.

>>Seven Worldly Truths
Well I'd say this is actually the least combat ready one in actuality. Either way damn useful.

>>Sketchbook
Dude, I've always been curious about industrial design. And I could draw a liter of like.. scorpion venom or something else worth like a grand a bottle. Or just draw weed all day.

>>Travel Guide
Dude this sounds like my life already, but like I guess I'll just take up living in my van bro.

>>Doing Best For You
Well this guys a jerk but okay. Would be interesting to see how far I falter.

Gonna go with the sketchbook though, most immiedeate and visceral returns for my choice. Make money, make my vices, shit see how much living stuff if I can make, because if I can I'll make a WH40K Ork army under my control if such a thing is even possible and taking over the world.

Dearest me, perhaps my sun has not been found yet.

>Very little input on what our land is like outside the capital.
Yes you are correct.

I could try adding in some things like options for villages or tribes, famous landmarks, how frequent castles are, or something else.

Actually that does give me another idea.

>Unclear on if you can take extra enemies to get allies
An error I made, I should have put it in but I must have forgotten. Yes, you can.

>Unclear if you have to join one of the two sides to get an Ally, or if aligning with one gets you an extra Ally on that side
I should have made that more clear, you do have to align to one of the sides. I may do away with the sides completely, but I will see if that is needed.

>Nothing to do with excess resources
I sort of intended things like wells and fortified doors to be resource sinks so you could make a bunch of fortified gates to get through, but you do have a point in that.

>Fortifications can't be made out of stone under Defenses, for some reasons
I intended to try and balance the defenses for people who chose lots of forests, but considering how you need lots of wood to even have a navy it might have been better to make defenses either or.

>While I'm confident in my ability to manage my Taints, I'm not so confident in the case of any future children. The chance one of them goes tyrannical is so antithetical to my role as a King that I can't stain my bloodline with them
Understandable. Uncertainty is something which frightens us all.

Hm you have a point on the resources. I like your tiers idea, I might do add that to other stuff too.

Also, I'm getting a bit of a mixed message here on taints/curses. One user doesn't want to risk them, you think they're a bit too damn good. I'm leaning a bit on too beneficial at the moment.

Yes I should fix up the allies/enemies description. Cont.

My intention for the alliances was that it's a trade deal- you don't go to war with each other, you don't tariff each other, and if one goes to war you supply them with a certain amount of goods that is outlined by the treaty.

I think this is a capital idea, the only issue being the CYOA will be very, very long if I do this.

Perhaps I should keep looking for that spark I was chasing...

do discounts stack? I assume they do, In any case heres a rough build - the kingdom of (name pending)

>landforms
2x plains
2x rivers and coasts
2x forests

>defenses
Marital Culture
Island

>capital
cliffside

resource count
22,500 L -30%
12,500 S
10,000 W -30%

>defenses
some
>soldiers
lots

>Magics
Giant
Brisk
Forge Touched
Synergistic

Curse: Hot Blooded

>Lords Powers
Champions
The People Strength
Rise
Spear Of Kings

Taint: Arrogance

Keep my memories+skills? 4 years old to my first memory, scrapping my knee. Some sort of newgame+.

What are cool items for a low fantasy urban setting? So far I have:
cigarette smoke screen
revolutionary era cannon ball that's too heavy for sinners to handle
a penny that always finds its way back to you
a revolver with one bullet in it: deja-vu reduex mashup

You can buy/rent a small apartment for each month. Or even just two locations you switch between every month. Ruleslawyering a bit, but it doesn't specify you need to move somewhere you have never been before.

You're doing great work. I think I'll make my sniper build later today.

Just made a few changes recently but the psionics was altered in an update before that.

By the way, I'll have to start asking around officially for suggestions to a new magical realm later.

>a new magical realm
Like, a redux of the CYOA?
Or a fetish CYOA?

damn, the friends are expensive and theres only 4 choices of identities.

Doesn't Stalk and Chameleon kind of overlap in Saihu's case?

How can we add builds?

As early as generally allowed, depending on how severe the other options changes would be. Full little girl? Rebirth or as close to that as possible. Universe altering shit? Ideally before grade school begins. Comfy time stop zone? Latest would be before high school.

Why? One part of it is life experience, I'm a greedy cunt and want all the years I can get out of this planet. Along with that, some lessons are easier learned in childhood. More depressingly, however, shit has gone wrong enough with some parts o my life that I wouldn't mind resetting it, even if it meant having to do things over or have a radically altered life.

>I haven't had meaningful conversation with anyone in the last two month. Funny how all this time every cyoa I chose immortality. Because now all I wish upon me is some form of relief in death.
Hey, I’m 36 and I’ve solidly failed at doing the only thing I ever really cared about doing, so I sorta understand. The great thing about immortality, though, is that you’ve got time to fix things. If you don’t patch it up in the next eighty years, there’s always the eighty years after that, right?

Someone's already wrote about this in a previous thread. It's the great /cyoag/ immortality paradox: the people who want immortality the most are inevitably those who deserve it least (i.e. who will definitely use it to spend the rest of eternity lazing about and telling themselves "any day now" they'll change their lives). The theory is that people who find fulfillment in their lives as is don't suffer from the same ennui that leads virginal otaku NEETs to obsess over their fear of death.

>I'm leaning a bit on too beneficial at the moment.
I personally i would only choose rage if i wanted more powers the others are going to ruin the kingdom in the long run.

This is a good time to post this.

Innocent best choice accept no substitutes.

I'd pick hero any day. Assuming that i actually have a chance of defeating or drawing with the alien warlord, i could mold the world however i wish. id rather leave the greatest legacy in history that no man could even come close to achieving than be a little girl for eternity desu.

Eh, it's a hard choice between this and the artist. Arguably, innocence could guarantee happiness for a while, but to know that all the suffering and the languishing has an ultimate boon for all that you'll never experience? That's the stuff of legendary people.

Fair enough

Like a redux but different. The makings of a snowglobe world but with detailed choices in order to create a thought out environment. I realize it will remove a lot of creativity though, so it'll be less magical realm and more a kingdom builder, but with a grander scope.

The powers I intend to give the players are like that of a god, either wrathful, secretive, protective or a saviour and each with appropriate abilities and skills. However if you intend to go something akin to saviour then you would have to design a world with more strife, thus creating the dilemma of a guilty concious vs the will to do good.

>all I crave is love and stability
>tfw The Stranger has literally no fucking drawbacks for me.
I'm already a ghost to everyone. Just make it bearable for me.

Hero. Genius was a close second, but I'd have to take my groundbreaking inventions and overthrow the elites to rule over the world with an iron fist. As long as I'm alive, and I'd like to stay alive, no true good can come from my efforts, so I'll have to personally direct all the evils in the world and prepare it to start over from a clean slate if anything happens to me. And maybe have my name legally changed to "Wily." So I'd take Hero because if I don't then I'll always wonder.

The Predator, and become a serial killer. I'd kill mostly rich people.
The Adventurer (Terminator) sounds tempting, but I'd still be able to stay in some contact with my family with the previous option, whereas with this you'd just vanish into thin air, and the idea of that happening to someone I know is awful. People dying is one thing, but just disappearing one day and never being seen haunts me.

>It's the great /cyoag/ immortality paradox: the people who want immortality the most are inevitably those who deserve it least (i.e. who will definitely use it to spend the rest of eternity lazing about and telling themselves "any day now" they'll change their lives).
That doesn't make a lot of sense. We can't observe human behavior on timescales longer than about 110 years right now, so it's very hard to say what would happen if you expanded that lifespan by, say, six orders of magnitude, so I don't know how anyone could be so confident about what "virginal NEETs" will or won't do over such long periods of time. You could make a simple uniformitarian assumption that present behavior will continue indefinitely, but there are good reasons to suspect that a simple assumption of this kind won't cut the mustard here; it's far too easy to imagine alternative hypotheses in which life trajectories are currently dominated by the physiological effects of aging, or social structures create a small temporal window early in life which governs later success. Both of those hypotheses are plausible given our current knowledge of human behavior— which I suppose isn't saying much, really—but would be difficult to substantiate without greatly retarding human aging.

I think the supposed "immortality paradox" is just cynicism posing as insight, really.

Hey, I'm looking for all the cyoa's from peil, I have the assassin's guild one and the alternate dimension one does anyone have the rest?

They all have the potential to change their lives every single day. If knowledge that they have limited time to waste isn't enough of a motivator for them to do so, why assume they'll change once it's removed?

Shit wrong image

anyone have that empire waifu cyoa. One with roman and egypt civilizations i dont remember much.

I don't save eternal WIPs sorry