Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

What's the best system for playing a god/goddess?
What would you like to have in such a system that isn't already there?
What sort of god have you always wanted to play/play against?
What are the coolest pantheons you've seen in game?
Do you prefer monotheistic or polytheistic settings? [or heck, a combination like in LOTR]
Thanks guys! God bless and have a great day!

Other urls found in this thread:

blulightroleplaying.blogspot.com/
dungeonworldsrd.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

BECMI D&D using the Immortal rules. Shit gets crazy. They have rules for 3D battles shooting lasers out your hands DBZ style.

>What's the best system for playing a god/goddess?

Well there's Anima, you might also try Scion and Mutants & Masterminds.

I don't know, but I think it'd be fun to make a game where you play as gods meddling with human affairs, like in the Iliad, gods have their own agendas, try to decide the outcome of the war in favor of the side they fancy etc.

My interest is piqued. Go on.

Wait, immortal rules? 3d battles? How have I not heard of this??

Seems like you could hack Golden Sky Stories to do that well enough.

It was a concept that only appeared in the BECMI rules booklets (basic, expert, champion, master?, immortal) and the D&D rules cyclopidia. It was the edition of D&D before Advanced D&D 1.0. AD&D didn’t really dive into that level of play (at least not in the PHB) and the Christian take over of TSR nixed any idea of achieving godhood out of second edition for a good long while. It hasn’t really come up in official source books since.

>It was the edition of D&D before Advanced D&D 1.0
Incorrect. Advanced and Basic coexisted for 20-odd years. BECMI itself starts right in the middle of 1e's run.

>the Christian take over of TSR nixed any idea of achieving godhood out of second edition for a good long while.
Wrath of the Immortals is from 1992, which is post-Lorraine.

This is going to sound strange, but as a Christian I feel much more comfortable with fictional gods in a fantasy setting than the alternatives, those being either presenting an atheist universe in which god has no place or a monotheistic universe that horribly misrepresents God through the human shortcomings of the author. I prefer (as the OP mentioned) worlds with a single creator, but one who generates lesser "gods" or powers to act out the battle for souls between good and evil on a smaller, more involved scale where the players can meaningfully interact with the idea and implications of God existing without being convinced he doesn't or being turned away from him forever (?) by one misguided Christian's perspective of him. We need MORE gods in fiction, not less.

I gotchu. Thanks!

What I'm really interested in is ways to make a god game in which players act like gods would, ya know? Not all hands on all the time but intervening occasionally/when they can. I feel like including a certain tier of power into the game may just result in players drafting their own Geneva convention of what a god can or can't do without getting dogpiled by the others.

Anima, Exalted and FATE with a bit of tweaking. There is also high-point GURPS, which allows you to be something more than god(ess) of war and explosions due to adding more options.
>What would you like to have in such a system that isn't already there?
Populous: Tabletop RPG, I guess? It would be fun to do.
>What sort of god have you always wanted to play/play against?
Almost entirely out of my scope of interests, but I think if we are talking politeism, then all sort of lesser deities, like some minor kami and shit like that. Or abstract gods, like god of spring drizzle or things like that
>What are the coolest pantheons you've seen in game?
They are always dull and ALWAYS written backward, starting with "let's have a god of X!", rather than "let's make an actual religions based around X". So at first glance they might look interesting, but then you realise there is no substance in it, just a "religion of X", with barely any practices or structure, making it extremely dull
>Do you prefer monotheistic or polytheistic settings?
Religion rarely plays any role in my games, especially relgion that comes with actual gods and not just believe in them. Come to think about it, I never run a setting with actual gods in it, even if religion played any bigger role in the game itself.

What Korra does to my dick can only be described as a warcrime.

A sensible argument that balances fun, logic, and faith.
My brother-in-arms of swarthy complexion.

Any game that you reach max level and your DM let's you advance PAST it.

How do you feel about Tolkien?

What does Harry Potter have to do with gods?

uh? they're in open rebellion against God?

Harry is an atheist?!

yes. he worships satan

One thing I'm curious about is if there's a system that represents the changing interpretations of a deity. Like a cthonic deity of caves and earth and shit becoming demonized as the ruler of hell.

Or a trickster who gets away with being a crude asshole shift into a more polite folk hero or chivalrous figure that doesn't shake up society or moon people drunk off their ass.

How did I miss this!?

don't feel bad, he is called "the great deceiver" for a reason.

Also interested in this

>I want to have mechanics for a sociological process that takes centuries to finish
What next? A ruleset for coal deposit formation?

>Atheist
>Worships Satan
Wut?

If you want to play as a god, you should at least take a look at Nobilis. I'm pretty surprised that no-one's mentioned it yet.

The user is either baiting (using Biblethumper rhetoric), or else said user is a Biblethumper (think Jesus Camp). Harry Potter is a wizard, magic is of Satan, yadda yadda yadda.

I wanna fuck 90's Korra!

Actually it's neither.

It's called "being silly"

Because man, I started out attributing Harry Potter to Tolkien. If you didn't get joke, then...well, then you're dumb, my guy. Or at least are having a dumb moment.

Wasn't there a specific Tabletop game that was geared towards this, though? I can't remember the name of it, but it reminded me of "Dominions" and the coverart had, like...a throne that have heavenly light illuminating it.

Exalted. Why is this up for debate?

My table is new to rules light games, but I think these systems would work kinda well for a campaign with a divine party. I am intrigued to try this with the gods from our last Dawn of Worlds game.

What system would be good for this?
FATE? The new Genesys that gets all the hype? Or another good rules light system?

The Ha-Satanim are angels not devils retard.

Exalted if you can manage to heavily reskin/refluff it

ok fine. i can see by your trips this is an imoprtant issue for you so i'll just try to better myself in the future. that allright with you there, dark one?

It's also a great beer and pretzels game to get some very silly fun.
My favourite from this were:
>a ball of nothing suspended over a city that later became a ball of everything. Literally everything. Don't look up.
>a race of concept harvesters - they would fish for concepts in the ocean and sell them. Usually those are very small concepts, but once in a while you can find some big catch like a concept of agriculture.
>a race of devout atheists.
>a forest of perfect, spinning cylinders where the atheists lived.
>the multiverse layered like a multi level garage, you can get to other world by climbing the pillars
>a fractal lake - on it there is an island and on the island there is a perfect copy of the lake and so on

a no dice freeform system with a CYOA character creation.

Because there's only one decent edition of Exalted and it's still not fun to play or good at making you feel divinely powerful.

Not that guy, but I think Tolkien handled it pretty well, considering you can't really tell where Eru's influence is felt.

You just bit bait.

user did you know that fruit is bait

the plant is baiting you to help it spread its seeds

bait is delicious, that is its nature

Nobilis, Unknown Armies, or Amber Diceless would be my pick depending on the tone I want.

Amber diceless??? This sounds intriguing and I wish to know more? Someone give me the rundown please???

Good times.

A friend of mine made a homebrew system for gods. He hasn't updated it recently tho:
>blulightroleplaying.blogspot.com/

dungeonworldsrd.com/

the power level is narrative in DW, without placing a huge burden on the GM, too

>He hasn't updated it recently tho:

>2015
tell your friend to quick jerking off and post the update

As a Muslim, I fully agree with this.

I love Tolkien. He gets it right and does it perfectly. I can't think of a way to do it better.

>impotent

>Oh, fuck, not another elf!

There's an obscure game called 'Enemy Gods' that goes in a similar direction. Each player plays two characters - a god, and a mortal hero. (The god is picked from a fictional pantheon but the appendix talks about making your own.) The heroes go on adventures, trying to get the favor of the gods as they do so.

Warning - written by John Wick

Not really true, to do that you'd need to ignore a bunch of class abilities that assume the players are mid-level D&D character power level.

If you're set on using a *-World system to play gods, Worlds in Peril, a *-World based superhero game would be an easy change and a good fit for being about gods.

Why is that a warning? He does good shit.

Godbound is really good. It's made by the same guy who made stars without number if that means anything to anyone.

The basic gist is that you are newly awakened gods in a world where humanity fucked shit up so hard they kind of broke heaven, so you and your pantheon have to rise up from shit-tier local god who are important to like 1 village all the way to powers that dictate the fate of the world in their off time, while also trying to steal a piece of the broken heaven so that you have a place to send your followers when they die.

It's pretty rad and better than that you can get almost the entire book for free over on Drivethrurpg since the free edition only cuts out some of the less essential stuff for endgame while leaving you with all the rules for playing the game, character gen, bestiary, etc.

This place dedicates a hate thread to him every couple of weeks, so I figured fair warning was due.
And given that the main 'example of play' that the game in question uses is 'seducing a barmaid' - a ridiculously stock dnd moment, despite this explicitly being a game about Iliad-esque Bronze Age adventure, it's not exactly his finest work.

Thanks. We are currently designing house rules for DoW, so this will be a good source of inspiration.

This. This sounds freaking incredible! Stealing a piece of broken heaven???

glad to help

Tell your friend to post the fucking update. I've been waiting to play this fucking game for years and I want to see what he does with it before I fuck it up with my own mechanics.

Free form you dumb nigger