Cheating players and other "that guy" behavior

(Speaking about D&D)

I am in two campaigns with the same guy, and I have observed him cheating in both. I had been warned from a friend who had played with him before that he will cheat when given the opportunity, and he really did. When I am GMing I try to force people to sit next to each other and roll in the open where people can see it but due to the size of the table, he was able to get away with it. He was doing the classic roll and then "casually" place your hand blocking the die, and I am expected to believe this asshole just happened to not roll under a nat 15 all night.

Now all his rolls were pretty minor shit like perception and stealth checks, but this is happening in the first fucking session.

I don't want to be a faggot about it and make him reroll whenever he rolls it casually, but cheating is just ruining the fun of everyone else at the table.

Also, should I tell the GM of the other campaign that he was cheating? It was over Skype and I am fairly certain the GM at least caught onto the fact that he was cheating after he was rolling once in a lifetime shit and one hit the boss. (Dark Heresy)

Explain how his cheating hurts, impairs, or impacts others.

And then make him fucking stop. Cheaters won't stop just because they're told it's bad. They know, they just don't care.

Ive never understood the compulsion to cheat in a TTRPG. Its just a game, and if you are playing something like 5e it's pretty hard to flat out die

>in b4 retarded pasta gnome

Act like a man and tell everyone that the asshole is cheating.

Damn, fa/tg/uys make easy things look so hard

Communication just isn't our forté.

Teehee Maccaroni is the bane of my fucking existence.

Every fucking campaign that my GM runs inevitably at some point involves running into an NPC named "Teehee Maccaroni," who the GM affectionately describes as "an epic level sorcerer who's also a retarded nudist gnome."

Teehee Maccaroni wander the countryside with a unique Rod of Wonders powered by "retard magic" shoved up his anus, and he casts the Rod of Wonders by diddling his penis. He says nothing but his own name in different inflections and the phrase "I like-a the goodberry, gimme gimme the goodberry." The GM thinks it's hilarious to have this character show up during the middle of encounters we're struggling at and start jerking off magic everywhere.

But the worst part is his chant. He wanders around chanting his name, so when he's about to show up the GM will start low;
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
And then get louder and louder until he's fucking shouting
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!

And the table loves it! The other guys I play with think this is the best shit! Teehee Maccaroni has been our table's de-facto inside joke, our signature "running gag" for six years now. When that chant starts up, everyone else joins in like a ritual; the whole table is expected to start chanting "TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI" by the end, and every fucking time I refuse because this is some embarrassing circa-2002 Penguin of Doom shit, it's always the same thing; "There goes user again! No fun allowed around user! user's just a big grouch who's getting angry because we're making him touch Teehee Maccaroni's penis again! Why won't you just let us have fun with this character, he's just here for dumb fun, you stick-in-the mud!"

These motherfuckers are all over 25 years old.

Teehee Maccaroni is going to be the death of me.

You should have been able to at least mimic what normal people do.

Is it pasta? If not, the players are retards and you should cut any contact

Talk to him one on one and tell him to stop cheating.
If he doesn't stop tell him right there at the table in front of the whole group.
If he still doesn't stop kick him.

Some people respond to the nice approach.
For the rest there's shaming them into shaping up.
Some people are just unsalvagable.

>Is it pasta?
I see you're new here.

If it's someone they barely know, and they just wants to keep the peace enough to keep playing, I can understand not wanting to be too confrontational. Especially since it should not be the GM's responsibility to make people behave themselves- if a grown man is already being an ass, how well can you expect them to react to criticism?

I would maybe try to get people to roll towards the middle of the table, and casually suggest someone else keep an eye on his rolls and narc on them. Hopefully a little bit of diligence is enough for them to cut it out.

This reminds me of The Dark Tower.

Buy/Build and use a dice tower. Come up with an excuse that everyone is going to use it (it'll speed up play, dice won't get lost, whatever.)

There is literally no reason to bitch about using a dice tower unless you're cheating. Boom.

Of course, this is still passive aggressive bullshit, but it sounds like the OP is unwilling to be direct.

>Is it pasta?
It's the worst kind of pasta: overserved.

Very stale pasta indeed

Just start rolling for him. Don't roll for any of the other players. If he tries to roll himself, ignore his results and tell him what he "really" rolled. Continually state it as "You rolled a X".

Or just talk to him about the problem like a big boy.

It's people with self-esteem issues who can't stand the idea of 'losing' a RPG. Also stroppy types who get massively buttock-shattered at bad luck, especially the kind who only remember their low rolls and complain they never get any good luck.

>Is macaroni pasta?

Seriously?

People who don't know how to pace their pasta are among the worst grade of shitposters.

Why would anyone want to keep playing in peace with a cheater?
Brother just kick him out and keep playing with the other players

It's not that easy if it's a good friend who you don't want to lose. Kicking him out of your gaming group may well lose you the friendship.

Or if you're a socially awkward nerd who really doesn't do well with confrontation.

It doesn't excuse the cheater, but i can see why some people might have issues with straight up kicking him.

"Stop cheating or I will kick you."

No.
Explain to ME how his cheating hurts, impairs, or impacts others.

If the game is not competitive and he's not making a joke of every encounter, if it's subtle enough that others might not notice, I honestly don't see the harm.
I also don't see the point, it's like having an abstinent mistress.
I would talk to them privately and ask them to stop because it's against the rules, but I see no reason to get bothered by it.

Who is the victim?

>who is the victim?
The rest of the party you retard. You ask how it effects anyone else? This faggot one shot a fucking boss because of his cheating. Maybe you've never played with a cheater but it's annoying to every other member of the party, especially when they go on to brag about the things their PC is able to do.
It's also incredibly tedious for DMs as they now have to make special exceptions for the cheater in order to keep the game running smoothly

How is cheating even a fucking thing in D&D and similar formats?

You're playing a co-op, role-playing driven game, what possible fucking benefit do you gain from cheating?

cheaters are fucking cancer. 10 times out of 10 i enjoy where a failure leads more than i would enjoy where the success leads

>It's not that easy if it's a good friend who you don't want to lose.
You're right, it's even easier because good friends can call each other out on faggot behavior without it being awkward
>Kicking him out of your gaming group may well lose you the friendship.
Wasn't a very good friend in the first place then

>This faggot one shot a fucking boss because of his cheating.
Would it have been better if he had one shot a fucking boss because of one lucky roll?

>they go on to brag about the things their PC is able to do.
That is being a braggart, which is a separate issue, although combined, they are intolerable, granted.

>incredibly tedious for DMs as they now have to make special exceptions for the cheater in order to keep the game running smoothly
Would it be better if the GMs have to make special exceptions for the PC that was min/maxed, or made more effectively than the rest of the party, in order to keep the game running smoothly?

What about guys really are just absurdly lucky?
I'm not suggesting that your guy isn't cheating.
I fully accept that.
I'm asking if the other players are considered "victims" of good luck.

>please argue with me I have no stake in this discussion but I'm starved for literally any interaction with other human beings

> (You)
>Would it have been better if he had one shot a fucking boss because of one lucky roll?
Absolutely, are you actually this returded? Shit like that is supposed to happen out of genuine pure luck.
>That is being a braggart, which is a separate issue, although combined, they are intolerable, granted.
Yes, I'm specifically talking about the combination. Idc about regular braggarts desu senpai

>Would it be better if the GMs have to make special exceptions for the PC that was min/maxed
Yes, that's based off of game knowledge, not cheating.
>What about guys really are just absurdly lucky?
Again, genuine luck is accounted for and doesn't happen often. So yes.
>I'm not suggesting that your guy isn't cheating.
K
>I'm asking if the other players are considered "victims" of good luck.
No, because genuine good luck doesn't happen often.
Fucking neck yourself so hard goddammit

Just to be clear:
I do not support or defend cheating in rpgs.
As others have said, it is more retarded than cheating on a practice quiz.

My point is that getting angry over it is almost as retarded.
I played with a guy who probably legitimately had a form of mental deficiency.
He started off cheating every roll.
Then I had us roll in the open and his cheating dropped down to 25% and got more subtle.
One player kept getting pissed and started fruitless arguments that went nowhere until I asked him to ignore it.
I never let it stop the party from failing and once that other player let it go, there was no trouble caused from it.
Anger over it wouldn't have helped and direct confrontation over proofless cheating would have just led to angry bickering with no solution.
Admittedly, talking to the cheater would be better, but this individual openly and adamantly denied everything.

>t. that guy

Not baiting.
Genuinely find anger over this to be dumb.

>Absolutely, are you actually this returded? Shit like that is supposed to happen out of genuine pure luck.
So, encountering a boss fight, one player rolling one die, and the fight being over is a good thing?
But only if it's dumb luck?
I have a differing opinion.

>Yes, that's based off of game knowledge, not cheating.
So it's incredibly tedious for GMs to make special exceptions for the PC in order to keep the game running smoothly, but only if it's because of cheating?
If the PC does it because of game knowledge, it suddenly makes all the special exceptions is magically no longer "incredibly tedious"?
I have a differing opinion.

>I'm specifically talking about the combination.
Well, I can appreciate that.
Bragging about false accomplishments is actively annoying and dumb.
A cheater passively and quietly fudging rolls in the corner because they can't handle failure is far more forgivable to me.

Just remember everyone that retards like that are among us here in Veeky Forums so take every advice and post here with a grain of salt because it could be posted by this guy.

I can see his point, but i still wouldnt want to play such game - it is same as when DM fudges dice. It might be fine if you dont know about it, but it bothers me inside to a degree where i just dont want to play.

how can you cheat playing online DH?? Doesent roll20 or something rol for you?

>It is retarded to not get frothing mad at a player stupidly cheating
>It is stupid to not sperg out over it
Stay happy, user.

>it bothers me inside to a degree where i just dont want to play.
Ask yourself *why* it would bother you, and you might be able to get along with others that annoy you better.
They might even annoy, you and instead just seem sadly foolish.
Although, you seem reasonable and are probably getting along fine.

I play with my friends. People who cheat in games of pretend are shitty people and i don't want such friends. I feel it is fundamentally disrespectful towards others.

" He that is faithful in that which is least, is faithful also in much; and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much."

I counter your TEE HEE HEE with Niggerbastard.

"You think the others can't see you're cheating? It's making you look like a child. Stop."

user why are any of them still breathing? I hold you personally responsible for not ending this blight.

>cheating
>in a tabletop game with no real rewards save for a different story

Just kick him out of the group. If he's going to be a shithead, then he can do it elsewhere.

As the user you're responding to, I have to agree with your entire post.
I just urge others to not respond to disrespect with anger.

That... is pretty cool. I admit it took me quite some time to overcome the anger and come up with calmly formulated answer.

Why are you doing this? Why are you playing mind games with us?

>Why are you doing this?
Honestly, it's because when is see others making mistakes I have made that worsened the situation, I feel a strong urge to caution them against it.
Probably because I wish I could go back and tell myself those same things.

>Why are you playing mind games with us?
Mind games are traditional games too!