/GURPSg/

/GURPSg/
The GURPS general, back for another round!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consanguinity.
fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Question for people better with the system than me: How would I stat Protect Gear from Red Spectacles/Jinroh?

Suuuup, fags!
Why there still no good companion with "frequently asked how to build X" or "Vidiya powers GURPSified"?

>no good companion with "frequently asked how to build X"
Aside, of course, every single book coming out with example characters, but whatever
>Vidiya powers GURPSified
English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

>"frequently asked how to build X"
Literally Dungeon Fantasy.

What's the average skill level in fighting with dedicated weapons for a competent professional soldiers from the late middle ages?

Supers, Powers, Dungeon Fantasy, Martial Arts, and Fantasy (to name a few) all have example abilities and characters. Check those out.

Not everyone who fights is a competent professional soldier, but a competent professional soldier would have a skill level around 13-14.

12-14 depending on how easy the weapon is to learn.

why is guy fieri GMing for me

All appropriate genre books have templates for those genres
And there's tons of internet stuff about GURPSing vidya shit

Would appreciate if some kind gentleman would share the new Dungeon Fantasy RPG PDFs.

(And before someone says buy it, I did - but physical, because $40 is way too much for PDFs).

If you don't wanna share the whole thing, if you'd be willing to share the Spells book from the set, it'd help for a project!

Thanks!

Nah. That's Patton Oswalt.

He isn't. Patton Oswalt is.

Is it not in the GURPS mega?

Assume he means the stuff from the boxed set, no.

People haven't uploaded the box set shit yet? huh.

Not yet. I'm not set up to scan it, and a lot of people haven't gotten their copy yet.

How would you stat a sort of third person perspective power, not constant 360 degree awareness, but being able to shift and rotate point of view, pan around and such.
Some kind of really limited farsight?

How much -STR should women have in realistic campaign?

I typically have -2 and -1 HT, but players are free to buy it back up

None. Genetic diversity is a thing yknow.

B19.

P. B19 says "-1 or -2 to ST", resulting in -19% or -36% BL.

Yeah, this, I use -1.

How much -IQ should niggers have in a realistic campaign?

just use the orc racial template, /pol/.

That falls below the granularity of the system, it's less than a point of IQ, and you don't normally apply raw IQ to tasks in daily life.

You get better representation by taking out a few points in IQ-based skills and talents (perhaps Literacy: Broken) and adding a few points in things like Streetwise.

How do I do black powder combat?

Buy High-Tech.

I'd base it off of en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consanguinity.

That would probably account for maybe 2 IQ points.

Low Tech has a lot of stuff on black powder weapons too.

It varies by age, but some black-powder guidelines..

1) Try to lure the enemy into taking low percentage shots. Take cover and taunt them, hold up a coat, anything to get them to use up that one 3d pi++ or whatever shot they've got.

2) Wait for a good shot. Every time you fire a black powder weapon you are signing up for a long, slow reload. Wait for them to get close, aim and don't throw away your shot. You can even save your shot to act as a finisher rather then use it at the beginning if you don't have a good one to start.

3) Have some kind of melee backup. Use the gun as a club, get a sword, a bayonet or another weapon. You can't trust the gun to finish things up.

4) Pistols do little damage but can be very useful. It's also relatively easy to carry 2-4 of them and keep up your fire.

5) Muskets are heavy, but if you can keep extras around and get a strong person to carry them then you can keep up your rate of fire longer.

Don't forget that B19 also says "The GM should never require either of the above options." It's in poor taste, even if it is realistic.

What, you mean I should let people make the characters they want to make despite gender? Get out of here you cuck SJW libtard, go back to sucking your girlfriends boyfriends dick.

I don't have money tho

Poor taste is entirely subjective to group and game.

I think it's perfectly fine, early D&D had max strength limits by gender, rather than a strength penalty, meaning the strongest woman could never be as strong as a the strongest man.
And you can always buy it back if you want to.

Something that would really be in poor taste would be like putting a cap on characters IT based on the color of their skin.

Why is it fine if D&D does it? Yes the average women is weaker than the average man, buy why does that mean your female character should be penalized for it? Why does she have to be the average? And more importantly why should I be punished for wanting to play a different character?

>Why is it fine if D&D does it?
Missing the point. Another game did it well, showing that it can be done.

>why does that mean your female character should be penalized for it?
Because that's part of the game's premise: average people.

>Why does she have to be the average?
How is she entitled to being special?

>And more importantly why should I be punished for wanting to play a different character?
You're free to not play the game if you don't want to. Nobody is forcing you to play. It's probably best if you don't, since you're so focused on how the game is penalizing you, rather than taking the premise and running with it.

Has anyone played the GURPS versions of VTM or mage? how do they compare to their original systems?

I have a question for those familiar with GURPS, how simple is it to gm a campaign using it?

>How is she entitled to being special?
She's a PC. PCs by virtue of being PCs are special. If you plop the PCs in a situation where only 10% of people survive, the party WILL be in that 10% due to luck, skill, or whatever, because they're special and the game and story NEED them.

Also hot damn, in a hobby where people have characters chosen by God, have dragon's blood in their lineage, are part AI, or whatever insane shit normally gets bandied about, is your line in the sand really going to be over playing a woman that's in the top percentile for strength?

It's about as complicated as D&D, you don't have to fully stat out any enemies or NPCs. Usually DR, HP, and any attack or skill values are enough.

And since you as GM are the one picking all the optional rules, it's literally as complicated as you choose to make it.

GURPS is based around heroic fiction, and explicitly states there are no statistical differences based on gender unless the GM chooses to introduce them.

GM itself is pretty simple, and the math and record keeping is pretty basic. The thing with GURPS though is that you have to do some prep work, and while each individual thing you have to do is simple, it can add up to quite a bit of work and decision making before you can actually start playing.

GURPS really isn't one of those games where you can decide to play a game and then be ready to play the game the very next day, unless you know the system very well or are willing to reuse an older game you played.

The average elf is weaker than the average human, the average human is weaker than the average orc. The average child or average elder is weaker than the average adult man.

If you don't see any merits to playing a character like a wizened elderly gentleman, a scrawny elven mage, or a human femme fatale, or any one of numerous concepts, the problem is you, not the game.

>Why isn't my kobold barbarian as strong as the ogre fighter!
If you think this is you being "punished" for playing a different character, you're a powergaming minmaxing asshole, and you probably shouldn't play.

>How is she entitled to being special?
You new to GURPS or what?
By buying special snowflake advantage!

In GURPS, if you penalize someone , you have to give them extra points to make up for it. Yes, that's in the rules.

Taboo Trait is a 0 point feature, this includes racial features like maximum attribute scores (and are often left unwritten for simplicity).

If the group is fine with the ruling, then there is nothing wrong it it.

My party conquered a small goblin tribe last week.
In what book i can find rules for development of village?
Also, they want to use some goblins as troops in combat, how to do that?

It's straight forward as long as you don't add in a bunch of options. Stick with the basic set and stay away from realistic rules like bleed and accumulative wounds, and anything else that might require more book keeping. Borrow from Action and implement at least the simplified combat rules if you're using ranged stuff a lot. Take note of all the tables that you might use on a note card for quick look up, or invest in a GM screen. Encourage the players to memorize the rules and modifiers relevant to their characters - they remember their positives, you deal with the negatives. Use a VTT like Roll20, Maptool, or - if you're a big spender - Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy Grounds is shaping up to be THE official VTT for GURPS because SJG gave automation rights to a developer of a GURPS framework for FG. (fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36043-GURPS-4E-Core-Ruleset)

Get out there and GM!

Low-Tech Companion 3 has rules for building structures. Social Engineering has things about politics and whatnot. Mass Combat has what you need for large scale battles.

Not sure about the village part, but Goblins count as improvised weapons, and deals crushing damage with a (0.5) armor divisor for softness

user, I...

Skull DR 2, and they flexible.
Improvised flails, yes, 0U, double-dagger, and bite grapple on hit...
But you not funny.

>special snowflake
That's a Lens.

Special Snowflake [-20]
Total Intolerance [-10], Delusion (Major, "I'm inherently valuable and superior") [-10]
Special Snowflake is often accompanied by Low Self-Image, Manic-Depressive, or any number of mental disadvantages (all of which commonly have Mitigator, Special Snowflake, -80%.)

>large scale battles
Legendary battle near unnamed stone where 3 mighty PCs and their fellow 10 goblins fight two nights against unnamed band of 15 thugs and peg-leg donkey.
Sometimes i think you guys don't readed books and just write their names just to answer...

All you said was "use goblins as troops in combat." I didn't know anything else. And for your information, I did "readed" the books.

Wait, why would a mitigator apply if they still have the disadvantage?

Anyone?

Because he's a shitposter.

Maybe the idea is that you don't suffer from all the mental disadvantages as long as you act like an obnoxious mary sue?

Hm.

Memefaggotry aside, doing this the "right" way could actually be useful in many ways.

How do you stat: "Suffers from mental disadvantage X most of the time, except when suffering from mental disadvantage Y" where the character has no control over which mental disadvantage is in effect?
Here it would be "suffers from Delusions/Intolerance most of the time, except when suffering from Low Self-Image"

Split Personality would be one way to do it, and you could build two packages of mental disads, one low self-esteem package, one delusional.
But that's a tad bit extreme for many concepts, and how would you go about it if you have disadvantages of unequal value? Or a trigger other than stressful situations?

>PCs by virtue of being PCs are special.
Only if the group agrees to that.

And the GM can choose to introduce them if they see fit.

Duh. The Woman template would be -2 ST [-20] and is a disadvantage, just like every other negative point cost trait.

Off the cuff, I'd peg the upper limit for women around ST 16, as they're roughly 2/3rds as strong as men when it comes to upper-body strength, which is what BL mostly concerns itself with. I don't think most realistic games are in danger of people spending 60+ points in ST, but it's handy to keep in mind.

This guy gets it.

360 Degree vision with enhancement Panoptic 1 (from Powers p39).

Possibly Peripheral vision advantage too, but Panoptic on 360 degree should do it.

>doing this the "right" way could actually be useful in many ways
That's assuming that this isn't the right way. Mitigator removes the effects of a disadvantage while being influenced or affected by a particular something. So applying some pseudo-psychology to what said as long as the one with the disadvantage is projecting (or whatever) they don't suffer the effects of the mitigated trait(s).

Your question is interesting. I'm not sure how to do it so the character has no control over which mental disadvantage is in effect. I think Power-Ups: Limitations had something that covered this or could be reskinned to but I don't have my books with me.

Building a summoner/golem enchanter
Better done via Ally or magic?
Or maybe a modular ally to diffrentiate from summon the boys to summoning the BOY

Clairsentience (Clairvoyance, -10%; Second Nature, +70%; Reduced Range, x1/2, -10%) [75]

Second Nature is from GURPS: Powers p. 44. You automatically have a third-person perspective emanating somewhere from withing 5 yards of you. If moves with you as your move, and you can freely move and pan the perspective... for the most part. Getting the perspective to originate in places you personally cannot see (e.g. glitching the camera through a wall in a vidya) still takes a minute and an IQ-5 roll.

Ask your GM. If this is theorycrafting and there is no GM/you are the GM, then it comes down to A) how the summons work in-universe and B) what magic system is being used.

If summoners make pacts with specific individual entities of otherworldly power, then Ally is really the only way to handle that. If summoners call forth "generic" summons like "wolf" and "acid spider," whether it's ripping them from a foreign plane or making them from memories and magical power, then you'll want something more flexible like Modular Abilities (Only Allies with Minion and Summonable, -50%). If summoners simply draw spirits from the local area (e.g. a spirit of fire from a campfire or the spirit of the forest they're traveling in), Medium will be the basis for summoning, with experienced mages also sporting Spirit Empathy, Detect (Spirit), Telecommunication (Spirits Only), and a smattering of spirit-only Afflictions and Binding. If any old rube can summon creatures by scrawling a circle, you just need the Symbol Drawing skill and a couple of books.

Lastly, if summoning is just another part of an established magic system, you may just need to work through that. Basic has the Illusion and Creation college, RPM has Create and Control Mater/Body/Energy/Mind (and Incantation straight-up has the Summon modifier), Symbol and Syntactic might have their own version depending on your GM's lexicon.

Basically, it depends on the setting.

Thanks for the tips
And it was theorycrafting

Isn't t just high-DR armor? I don't remember seeing anything that would make statting it difficult. It's shown to be quite resistant to small-arms fire, and IIRC the film is set post-WWII, so we're working with early TL7?

In High-Tech, a Silk Vest layered underneath Sentry Armor gives the torso DR 18, enough to no-sell any firearm that deals 3d or less. If we go into TL7, we get the Aircrew Armor with a whopping DR 20 both front and back (with the optional back part); stacking that with the Silk Vest again gives us DR 24, enough to ignore weapons up to 4d. A combination of Aircrew and Light Body Armor will cover most of the extremities, and Heavy Helmet with the addon plus a gasmask (reinforced?) should do the trick for the ol' noggin.

Obviously, it's not a perfect fit because I'm recreating gear from a speculative historical anime with real-world gear, but it should be close enough. If you're looking to stat it out whole cloth, then there's Low-Tech Armor Design in Pyramid #3/52 that, despite the name, includes up to TL8 materials, though Cutting Edge Armor Design (Pyramid #3/85) includes much more. I'm tired and don't really feel like mathing, but eyeballing it, it looks like you can get up to DR 20+ easy, and if you treat the armor as prototype'd TL8 gear, you can stack it up to DR 50! You could also use some of the rules in Low-Tech that talk about layering non-flexible non-concealable armor, boosting the DR from the TL7 armor to much higher levels.

No problem. I'm no stranger to GURPS theorycrafting, but with how modular the system is, you simply HAVE to decide at the beginning what rules are in effect. It's not like D&D where you have a solid shared foundation you can just assume will be used.

Wow, thanks for all the detail. I'll look more into the options when I get home from work.

While I don't know anything about the anime in question, adding to this is an optional rule you might want to consider: DR as dice.

The reasoning behind it is that because gun damage is rolled in dice, you get a HUGE spread in potential damage the more dice you have. A pistol hitting a major artery and inflicting major injury on a torso hit (by rolling 2d and getting 6,6) is realistic, but an assault rifle going straight through heavy body armor on an exceptional roll is not (a roll of, say, 5d that rolls 6,6,6,5,4).
The solution, therefore, is to convert DR into dice, every 3.5 DR turns into 1 dice of DR, and subtracts 1 whole dice from the gun shooting it, so you don't even roll.
A piece of armor that used to provide 7 DR, and was a so-so reliable defense against small arms, now provides 2 dice DR, and now stops all smaller pistols (remove 2d from the pistol's damage roll, and you've got none left).
Similarly a combat vest that has around 20 DR now provides ~7 dice DR, and stops assault rifles unless penetrating ammo is used.

It's a bit of work to get it into shape, and I'm probably explaining it poorly, but I find it works very well in high-TL and high-DR settings to reduce DR inflation.

That's a really interesting method of dealing with it. Not necessarily totally realistic, but balanced for fun. Is there a Pyramid article on that with more detail?

How does this account for the depleting DR of ablative armor? What about blunt force damage like bruising? Have you examined the potential of rolling the dice for both DR and gun damage?

>Is there a Pyramid article on that with more detail?
I've only seen it talked about on here, on the forums, on various blogs, to the point where I don't actually know what the source is.
If you're competent in GURPS, the implementation should hopefully be self-evident, to the point where I'm taking the following implementation straight out my head:

>How does this account for the depleting DR of ablative armor?
Fully ablative is the same.
Semi-ablative is normally 1 DR lost per 10 damage resisted, so that becomes 1 DR lost per 3 dice DR (10.5 regular DR).
Oh, and you keep partial dice, and you convert the same way you do when converting flat damage to dice or vice versa. A 3 dice DR semi-ablative vest that blocks a 3d pi SMG-round becomes 2d+2 DR vest.

>What about blunt force damage like bruising?
Two options.
A. Note that you don't penetrate (a roided-up junkie deals 2d+4 cr with a pipe against a 4d cyber-nanoweave armor) and roll damage, inflicting as much blunt trauma as you would. 2d+4 might roll 7 if you're unlucky, that's 1 injury in blunt trauma as normal.
B. Note that you don't penetrate, but don't roll. Average of 2d+4 is 11, which always inflicts 2 injury blunt trauma.
Personally I don't bother. Guns don't do Cr damage, explosion damage from grenades is so low you can't "exploit" the mechanic (it's the cutting shrapnel that kills you), and any setting that has high-powered guns needs any help it can get to make melee-attacks less obsolete, so for crushing damage I use the regular DR values and roll damage as normal.

>Have you examined the potential of rolling the dice for both DR and gun damage?
This makes armor even less reliable, which generally isn't something we want. I've used it once or twice in enemies to introduce some unpredictability with magical, ethereal low-tech armor that provides 1 dice DR rolled, but for our purposes (high TL and high dice guns) it definitely doesn't work.

Armor as Dice can be found in Pyramid 34, along with some other options.

I know GURPS fantasy is good for D&D fantasy, but is it good specifically for modern or old school D&D? I want to play a OSR style game in a non shit system

Different user here, but I think it's in the first Alternate GURPS issue of Pyramid. The article is called Armor Revisited.

The article explicitly mentioned that rolling for both DR and damage is WAY too swingy. As for ablative/semi-ablative, I don't know if it mentions it, but it should be easy enough to convert to dice; instead of Ablative DR 7 being gone after stopping 7 damage, you have Ablative DR 2d that cracks after stopping a 2d attack (or two 1d attacks). Similarly, you can convert blunt trauma from flat values to dice at the regular 1:5 or 1:10 ratio.

Note that I'm only talking in whole dice for simplicity's sake; the system handles dice+adds fine--in practice, very rarely will you need deal with 1d blunt trauma, but 2d cr against flexible armor resolves to (avg. 7)/5 or about 1.5, rounded down to 1 and worked out at 1d-2.

As for realism, I feel that flat DR is pretty unrealistic compared to the variability of injury. A 7d rifle has a range of 7 to 42, average 24. That range is meant to simulate flesh wounds (low damage rolls) vs hitting an organ or bone dead center (high damage rolls) and not the bullet sometimes going faster or hitting harder, so the same roll shouldn't correlate to both penetration and final injury, especially considering we have other mechanics like targeting chinks to represent hitting armor's weak points. Instead, I prefer to use the rules for grazes (introduced in the same issue): an attack that barely hits (MoS 0) or a defense that barely fails (MoF 1) doubles DR and changes imp/pi to cut. I find this to be a much better solution that wildly variable penetration+injury rolls.

Big 'f' Fantasy the book, or little 'f' fantasy the genre? If the genre then yeah. It's great. I've been running an OSR-style hex crawl for the last year and change.

The Dungeon Fantasy series--despite its obvious origin as a a 3.5 doppelganger--has enough of GURPS's inherent lethality left intact that it really excels at OSR-style dungeon crawls.

Except for the speed of character creation (I'm ). The templates in DF made it a whole lot faster but my players still dicked around waffling over the options in the templates. I ultimately made templates without options then made a bunch of lenses with the options.

Also, for the old OSR feel I turned cash for points on its head and don't give character point rewards. Instead characters literally buy character points (training) with money.

I love that cash for points system, how exactly did it work? By that I mean how much per point / who did they go and train with?

I've always wanted to try the Pointless Slaying and Looting rules that replace templates with a package system that does away with points entirely; it's all just 20-point advantage packages, wildcard skills, and FATE-esque invokable disadvantages. It seemed a LOT faster and a lot more newbie-friendly despite being so much more modular than DF's templates.

I've done cyberpunk with $2000 per character point for cybernetic implants, neural download training and biomodifcations to increase statistics, skills and abilities.

It was fun watching players try to pick between a reasonable living standard at $1200 a month and living in a abandoned building for $600-$300 a month to afford more goods. It also made for encouragement for the players to be as cash-poor and greedy as I think cyberpunk characters should be.

So I read through the low tech reloading firearms rules, and want to know if I got this right.

Let's say I'm using a regular old wheelock/flintlock pistol, and I just fired. I have paper cartridges, so that cuts my normal loading time in half from 20 to 10. From there, I attempt a fast draw (ammo). According to the rules, this usually decreases a 20 to a 16, and this is where my confusion comes in. Do I subtract it by the same amount if would have been subtracted by if it were not using a paper cartridge? (-4, from a 10 to a 6), or would I have fast drawn the ammo first, reducing it to a 16, and then account for the half time, dropping it down to 8 seconds?

It worked well. I used the standard DF conversion rate (DF1 p. 23) of $500 = 1 point. They trained in whatever way they justified. Some examples that I remember are "Bandages and broken wooden practice equipment," "Sacrifice it to call down the essence of mastery," "Donate it to the temple (even gods look favorably on bribery)," "I have the barbarian throw the coins at me, if I can dodge a coin I can dodge a fireball," "I buy the murder-hobo wine and sandwiches so he'll teach me." I pretty much just accepted whatever.

If I had it to do over again I would have. Using PSaL was in my notes and I intended to use it but that was one of the things that fell through the cracks.

I've always divided after all other factors, so Fast Draw to 16, then 16/2 to 8.

It's weird though, espeically given that with blackpowder weapons Fast Draw becomes how trained you are at reloading drills, rather then how quickly you can take a new object from storage.

Is there a WW2 version for 4th edition? Or just the 3e one.

Just the 3e version, closest war book for 4e is Seals in vietnam and Tactical combat

I've seen "lite" versions of games that are just poorly gutted garbage. I hope the GURPS version is better.

Quick everyone shout your feelings about GURPS lite!

It's solid for mini-campaigns at 125 points or less, but any longer or any higher and you start hurting for the things they cut. As a side note, I wish they actually condensed material from the Basic Set rather than copy+paste entire sections in paragraph form while entirely cutting out other sections to make room.

It's poorly gutted but not garbage. Where's my color codes goddammit

It could have been done better but the problems are barely noticeable unless you're familiar with GURPS already. It's enough to run a year of weekly games with and only add a small handful of things from the non-Lite rules.

It's less a "lite" edition, and more of w "primer". It's not meant to be a standalone game that can be run by itself indefinitely. It's meant to keep noobies from being overwhelmed with 300 pages of character options, and 300 more of rules.

Meant for experienced GMs and new players. New GMs will want to treat Lite as a primer, not as their reference, although I'm sure you could get far with How to Be a GURPS GM and Lite. Experienced players will most likely find Lite lacking in many key areas. It's poorly edited and is really only suited to run the Caravan to Ein Arris adventure.

>This is the boiled-down “essence” of GURPS: all the fundamental rules, but not the options and embellishments that often confuse new players. Once you’re comfort- able with these rules, you can pick up the GURPS Basic Set and jump right into the action. Experienced Game Masters will, we hope, find this a valuable tool for introducing new players to the game.

This is literally from the first page. It can be used for longer games, but if your genre of choice needs anything supernatural or exotic, or you need more advanced rules, you need to pull in things from the basic set.

I like to think of it as they put it, the essence of GURPS. I would frame it as analogous to the Core book for Pathfinder, w/o all the bells and whistles that the Advanced PHB or DMG has, and the Basic Set as being the bells and whistles book.

Why do you guys think DX and IQ cost more to raise than ST and HT? Is it because they have more applications? Better applications? Realism? Some combination of these?

Because almost all skills are DX or IQ based while there are like 4 HT skills and no ST skills. Not to mention that in settings where melee weapons aren't that useful, such as modern or scifi, ST is next to useless.