>Trove (yes, Xanathar PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
How do I giants, /5eg/?

How's this for a paladin Oath of Fate's channel divinity option? It's probably too gimmicky or OP, but how can I take this concept and make it work?

>As an action, you gaze into the fate of your enemy and utter judgement. Pick an enemy you can see within 30 feet and roll a d6. After an amount of rounds equal to the number rolled on the d6, the next time an ally of your choice makes an attack against the target, the attack is automatically a critical hit, with no need to roll the attack roll.

>If the ally you choose is unable to make the attack due to any reason, such as the ally or target already being unconscious or the target becomes unreachable, your misjudgment of Fate causes you to lose one spell slot. The spell slot lost must be the highest level spell slot you have.

Is this surreptitiously a giantess thread?

Cause I'd fuck her.

We need a half-giant template. I wanna be a Goliath Half-Giant

Half-races as subrace only options fucking WHEN?

Exactly.

Would +1 Strength and a size category increase be balanced as the full benefits of the half-giant subrace?

Or would you just give them the Powerful Build and Long Limbed traits from Bugbear?

>Half-giant
Just refluff goliath

Stick with powerful build, though long-limbed as well might not be so bad

I think, like dragons, you'd have to have variants based off of the subtypes: cloud, storm, hill, frost, fire, etc.

How could one gunlance in 5e? Some sorta magic lance?

Casters are unreasonably better than martials. I just don't understand how you can play a martial in 5e for more than 2 sessions without feeling like you're already bored with the character.

I like the idea of applying Half-giant to other creatures, and if you chopped down Goliath like they do with Dragonborn or Tiefling in the Revenant rules then you could have a Half Giant Goliath who is extra beefy.

I can see how lacking imagination could be a problem if you're playing an imagination game. You have my condolences.

Well now we're just designing a Half-giant race with cloud, storm, hill, frost and fire subraces.

Same. I like half races as racial modifiers rather than whole new races.

It's shit, honestly. I'd never waste a turn to use this.

aw yeah, half fey cat bois

Don't know what a gunlance is from, so I could be wrong on the flavor, but a lance that can cast firebolt X times per day as a bonus action, but without disadvantage at melee?

Because my martial is a paladin, and she's a very cute paladin at that, so it's fun to roleplay as her

>wanting a player swinging a 4d6 large greatsword around
Never homebrew

just started playing dnd for the first time recently playing as a rogue and get to pick my subclass

I'm not sure whether to go with assassin or arcane trickster ( but i have low int so i'd really only be able to go for spells that dont require saves )

any advice?

I wanna make a Blademaster style Fighter, for my next character, basically a sword autist that gets angry when people dual wield swords, don't know proper swordplay, etc...

Is samurai the best fighter archtype to do this?
I'm not making a actual jap samurai, just a simple bloke that read a bunch of swordplay manuals and is seeking more.

Because not everyone is trying to beat the high score, user. Some folks just want to play different characters, with different roles, and roll dice and tell a story with their friends. Fun, user, some people relax and like to have fun.

Don't go Assassin, it's terrible.

Literally just a gun with a bayonet on but refluff it into weebshit in your head

Repostan'

I'm making a 1v1 no-magic fist fight with one of the players, but the system is awful for that kinda scenario.

I've been thinking of making it a blackjack match to decide who hits who and when because it replaces mindless dicerolling with wagering when to strike and when to leave.

Does that sound fun/good or just dumb?

Scout is kinda fun, the mobility lets you pull off all kinds of bullshit.

>just dumb

The caster martial disparity is actually pretty mild

Battlemaster. You can go wild with the tool proficiency for writing manuals on proper technique and Know Your Enemy means you know how good of a fighter someone is just by taking a look at them.

Stop playing level 17+ games jesus fuck user is it so hard?

Yeah but I don't get how being a martial is fun. All you do is make basic attacks (inb4 someone suggests grappling and pretends a hexblade bardlock isn't the best grappler in the game). It's like playing tic tac toe. So simple that it isn't fun.

In combat. Non-combat goes heavily to the casters.

If you're only in it to roll dice user, then why aren't you playing Yahtzee? Seriously, there is more to the hobby than theorycrafting, optimization, and weird niche dick measuring contests.

Tell. A. Story.

Str barbarogue is the best grappler in the game, shield master fighters are next in line and valor bards (hexblade dip isn't relevant except maybe at best for hexing their anti-grapple stat if they have acrobatics or athletics lower than the other) are probably third in line, though around about at the same point as rogueX/anymartialwithextraattack.

Still, martials can be fun if the DM makes encounters actually fucking interesting and out of combat also fucking interesting. If he doesn't, you should all be playing 4e instead.

What could I do to make the concept work then?

some people like not having all the answers at their fingertips. Sometimes it's fun to have to work out a problem instead of saying "okay i spend a level 3 spell slot, let's take a nap."

Go read other gaming manuals from different systems and see how they handle fate related stuff. Then kick them around and see if you can make analogues of those abilities that have parity with other subclass abilities.

Don't just toss out random +this' or do-thats. Crib off of better stuff until you get more experienced and want to branch out.

Did you not read my post?

Anyways as a caster you have every tool to tell a story that a martial player has. But you also have more that martials simply can't get.

From both a gamist and narrativist perspective I don't see how you can choose martial.

Are you seriously arguing that there isn't class disparity because the class disparity is fun?
That same logic justifies all of 3.5. let's just release a pickle class. You play a pickle. Players will enjoy not having all the answers, and it won't result in class disparity at all.

Basically what said, barbs aside. All combat interactions are the same two mechanics: roll at them, cause them to roll at an effect. Magic just prebakes descriptions into it, but those abilities are also bound by those preset contexts and interactions. There are more ways to cut and slash with a longsword than throw a Firebolt, and there are more ways to topple with a Push/Shove attack than with a Thunderwave. Embracing that flexibility, with most GMs, means you'll be getting advantage about as often as a Wizard would get opportunities to have just the right spell at the right time.

It's okay if you want a different more specific and regimented game, but 5e isn't usually going to be that.

I'm trying to prepare a new spellbook for Strahd. Things that make him a better Eldritch Knight
So far I'm going
>Booming Blade
>Long Strider
>Shield
>Absorb Elements
>Zephyr Strike
>Shadowblade
>Danse Macabre
>Steel Wind Strike

Anything else, or anything I should take out?

>Are you seriously arguing that there isn't class disparity because the class disparity is fun?
>That same logic justifies all of 3.5. let's just release a pickle class. You play a pickle. Players will enjoy not having all the answers, and it won't result in class disparity at all.
calm your tits, you asked WHY people play martials. I answered it. You can not like the answer all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that that IS why some people play martials.

>I sort of care about this
>But not enough to actually put work into it
Gee I wonder why most of the special races aren't played.

>let's just release a pickle class. You play a pickle.
it's called Champion Fighter, user.

>Mearls and morons will defend 5e class balance.

If you want to bitch about martials and caster/martial disparity then fine. But if you're just buttering us up for the eventual "4e did it better oh and also have you seen this YouTube person called Matthew Colville?" then you should just fuck off right now.

>implying pickle rick wasn't rad as fuck

You are painfully slow, user. Either that or you just haven't read or watched anything worth a shit. First, if your storytelling amounts to I Use X Skill, then you're a shit storyteller. Second, find ways to make creative uses of the skills you have. Look at ; that user has a good idea.

There are plenty of interesting characters that don't have a million niche skills and I Win buttons. Learn to use what you have. Be creative. If you can't figure out how to do those things, start consuming well thought out and plotted media -- read and watch shit -- and stat them. You'd be surprised at how many fun characters only have one or two gimmicks, or mechanics as makes sense for this discussion, that they just make creative use of.

Spend less time worrying about flair and more time thinking about the character and the story.

I'm not going to Homebrew a half-baked version of this concept, Wizards released Revenant as a subrace only option so I'm hoping they will explore that concept more in official releases.

If your idea of the race is half-baked then don't play the half-baker.

Arcane Trickster is more versatile, just take spells that don't scale with the casting stat, like Invisibility, Find Familiar and booming blade

Keep trying to force that meme, user.

Why is it terrible? Seems legit if you're extra mobile or stealth/invisible

What matters is that each player is good at their role and has their chance to shine.

It doesn't matter if one of the classes, when played to its utmost highest potential, can outdo the others. Does that mean everybody plays Fox on smash all day long and only has fun on Fox? I don't even play smash, goddamnit.

If we balance shit too hard, we get something like 4e, which some people liked but I personally prefer 5e. I like that each class doesn't play quite the same, that if you want a brainless 'hit shit' guy you can play a champion fighter, or you can spice it up by going for a barbarogue or a monk if you want a more versatile martial. Or if you want a big list of options to choose from, play a wizard. Most people won't make the most use of a wizard's features, though, and might as well play a sorcerer.

As long as something isn't a trap option that just gets trampled all over, like WOT4E which just wastes your ki or a really poorly built fighter in the same party as a better fighter who will basically just do the same thing as the poorly built fighter but better, you'll be okay. Would be better if the poorly built fighter still had some use for their high charisma/int/wis/whatever the fuck they did but they can usually find a use for it when the DM throws them magic items, or with ritual casting or just by roleplay.

Monster hunter, it's more of a lance that can add a small explosion in melee range or slightly further

like the wild mage sorcerer, too much of the power of the class is outside of the player's control.

One of my players wants to make a perception check in every room he enters to search for traps and treasure.

How can I differentiate situations where passive perception and active searches are appropriate?

That's faulty logic.

1. It necessitates the DM go outside the rules to bring balance.
2. It requires the DM go outside the rules for one class of player but never another. Contrary to your statement, there are just as many ways to throw a fireball as there are seeing a sword.

>1. It necessitates the DM go outside the rules to bring balance.
that's pretty much the entire point of having a DM.

How do you justify being able to throw a fireball differently?
'I, uhh, threw a fireball once in real life. It turns out if you piss on it before casting, it has a bigger explosion.'
As opposed to
'You can throw shit, right? I throw my sword.'

>outside the rules
You don't seem to be very familiar with Advantage, Disadvantage, or Inspiration, but let me assure you that they're right in there in those rules, my dude.

If anybody in your party fails to be sneaky, none of the enemies will be surprised. If nobody is surprised, you don't have a subclass

So I need some info on the Barbrogue grappler build. I ask because I want to know how I could apply sneak attack damage by running up a wall and pile driving someone into the ground. at least how to explain it to the DM that it is RAW or RAI.

I saw it mentioned before in another /5eg/ thread,

The same way you justify it on a rogue.

rogue gets sneak attack of attacks made with advantage
Barb gets to have advantage on attacks in exchange, enemies get advantage on them
Why are you even still reading this post? This shit isn't that difficult. Put two and two together already, fucking christ.

You're either shit at reading comprehension or deliberately obtuse. His point was that the differences between the two aren't some ontological necessity that cannot by their very nature be breached. The rules are just describing different way the dice are rolled and adding fluff along with that.

Yes, it is the DMs job to control how things flow and that will include elements of balance. Encounters in white rooms are boring. Terrain, creature placement, event order, all these things make up adventures and encounters. A good DM can structure them to make them fun for everyone and give everyone a place and time to shine.

This is why you sneak ahead of the party instead of trying to sneak with them

and that is.......?

>It requires the DM go outside the rules for one class of player but never another.
That didn't come from what he said at all.

>How can I differentiate situations where passive perception and active searches are appropriate?
When the player is asking specifically to actively search for something you can call for a check. If you're getting annoyed by him doing it repeatedly you should just make him roll once and keep the result for the next X rooms or something.

Some people can play shit characters and still be happy user

I wish I was one of them

How do you attack the grappled enemy with the ground? How is it a finesse weapon?

you need to use a finesse or ranged weapon you dumb cunt

>How do you attack the grappled enemy with the ground?
Throw them at it

>How is it a finesse weapon?
Claim it's a ranged attack.

You're exploting an opening in their defences, you're more precise and aiming for weak points more so than a non-rogue, with strength you're able to jam it into the weak points harder than with dex even if you might not be as accurate.. And HP isn't necessarily physical damage, it might just be that your fighting style is more draining on the opponent in some way. You backstab someone with flanking, or with reckless attack you get closer than the enemy anticipates and skewer them right where they don't want to be skewered.

Ultimately, the DM shouldn't have to ask for justification because it's sneak attack and this isn't pathfinder or 3.5e or whatever it is. It helps to have justification, but you deserve to be given that sneak attack if you qualify.

1. An invisible enemy (just to spook him, not kill him)
2. Just have him do it
3. Rule to base it on Passive from now on, so he only rolls a check if YOU explicitly ask him to. I'm pretty sure PP exists specifically to stop this type of player behavior.

This. Assassin is purely dependant on DM fiat, which makes it bad

>How do you attack the grappled enemy with the ground? How is it a finesse weapon?
It's a refluffed shortsword or something, so it qualifies as finesse.

So, same justification as with a rogue.

I remember reading somewhere that unconscious creatures are considered willing, does anyone have a source on that?

US law states otherwise user, don't go getting any funny ideas.

I don't recall this generally being the case, but there are rules for specific abilities such as create thrall being used on unconscious creatures.

The question at hand hand is in the hypothetical scenario of a rogue/barbarian multiclassed character could grapple a generic medium sized enemy and dash up a wall only to pile drive them into the ground in an effort to do both falling damage (xd6) with the added sneak attack damage (xd6) in an effort to reck that enemies shit in a creative way.

Every once in a while I have a good day where I truly believe that humans are intelligent creatures that deserve happiness.
Then a post like yours comes along and I regain my senses.

Bill Cosby is that you?

Refluff a shortsword attack

1d6+MOD+sneak attack damage

It's basically the same as what you just said and you only need one hand free, the other hand is grappling.

Not for describing a funny way of swinging the sword. If you're going to give the player advantage for saying he swings it just like in his animes, in fairness you should give it to the warlock who blasts just like in his cod 56 future warfare. Regardless of whether you do or not, the fact that one class needs DM fiat to be interesting and another does not is an indication of something being wrong.

Only for mental saves.

>Only for Strength and Dexterity saves.
FTFY. RTFM.

>implying casters don't benefit from DM fiat just as often, if not more so than martials.

I have some doubts this would work, but it's worth a try.

>If you're going to give the player advantage for saying he swings it just like in his animes, in fairness you should give it to the warlock who blasts just like in his cod 56 future warfare.
That's what he said dumbass. Do you not know what Inspiration is?

>one class needs DM fiat to be interesting and another does not
Wow did you really just use Warlock for that comparison? We used to complain about Warlocks more than any martial.

He's just bitching to bitch at this point, user. You can tell based off of how he cherry picks what he responds to. Just ignore him.

>inb4 I'm not ignoring ppl, ur meen!
Go back and reply to the longer more thoughtful posts then, faggot.

I mean, at most you're going to get 2d6 if you're lucky, which is about the same damage as 1d6+3 or 1d6+4.

Just make a regular attack but then flavour it as 'running up the wall and pounding them into the ground'.

If you want to use your fists for everything, ask to reflavour shortswords as your fists. It hardly hurts anything other than disarming, in which case you just justify that you could have had 10 shortswords so that disarming doesn't mean jack shit.

Is concentration infinite in suspended animation? Campaign ended, so I want to immortalize myself with sequester as a suspended statue of sort.

Any of you guys played Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan? I'm planning it these days, but would love input from people who have tried it.

Vegetables can't concentrate, user.

If you're incapacitated, you can't concentrate.

If you're making it so that on a relative scale everybody has 100000000 turns before your next turn, you can continue to concentrate for however many years just fine ,yes.

I don't have an answer, but I have another question; What would be the condition for your reawakening?

Level 4 Wizard with 18 int, should i increase my intelligence or get a feat? I already have Resilient(variant human)and Lucky (DM gave a free feat to everyone).