/osr/ - Old School Renaissance

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd

>Tools & Resources:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp

>Old School Blogs:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous thread:
What's your favorite random mutation table?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/yVNPL
youtu.be/6iqgTwu78WU
youtube.com/watch?v=DHL3IPfYThw
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/AD&D 1st Edition/Modules/H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=XnlirMbRQlM
pastebin.com/GmYSiJGF
pastebin.com/16TvLTv3
pastebin.com/r0nWgfXa
pastebin.com/8xjR2ujX
pastebin.com/2GkNFBZU
pastebin.com/9tMXiEPr
pastebin.com/iW2NWX6V
pastebin.com/91D9WQVn
pastebin.com/XDX380uj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gamma World char gen stuff.

I was tired of not finding this sort of asset so I made my own. They should be fairly easy to edit if you want them to be blue or to have color fills, I left them transparent and black on purpose. Sized roughly for roll20. The statue one you may one to resize to 50% or something.

2/6. Sorry about image spam, I originally uploaded them to a imgur album but they weren't showing up properly because of the black background and that kinda beats the point

3/6

4/6

5/6. I kinda hate how these last ones look, but whatever, it's just circles and a line

6/6

Lorraine Williams had the rights to Buck Rogers. She made TSR publish an RPG, several novels, and license video games and collected fat royalties from them.

Felt like I was half-assing it so here are the other versions. Blue and blue/white
imgur.com/a/yVNPL

Is it okay to have a cleric/druid/fighter sort of class move and cast in ACKS, unlike the standard just cast for mages?

That's not what I meant.

What did you mean?

I know there are OD&D reprints that you can find on Lulu, but how about Gamma World? Is Mutant Future still the closest thing we have to a reprint or retro-clone?

Repeat that in a coherent manner.

What did he (they?) mean by this?

Oh, in ACKS a person's combat turn usually consists of either moving and attacking, or doing some other action. If casting a spell, mages have to declare it before their turn and they can't do anything else once they've done that. I was wondering if my homebrew classes could move and cast in the same turn.

, These , essentially.

That seems like a Big Deal because it would be much easier to prevent spells from getting disrupted.
Especially if they get to retreat from melee while casting a spell.

I might even hazard, though I guess it depends on their spell list, that letting them cast and fight simultaneously would be a smaller improvement than letting them cast and move simultaneously.

The reason they can't do this BTB is as says: so they can't get attacked, step out of melee and cast safely. It's pretty crucial for class balance that casters are vulnerable to spell disruption from getting attacked by fighters.

Alternate thread question: what's up with all the faggot trolls lately shilling 2E and either pretending not to understand what the whole point of OSR is or genuinely not getting it? Last thread one of those dumbasses suggested straight out that it was wrong to associate the OSR with the original playstyle because it was only favored early on and by Dragonlance TSR no longer supported it much.

I mean, it's clearly not just the standard >muh GURPS faggot who dips his head in to shitpost rapidly and goes away before even checking if he got any (you)s. Is it salty 2Efags who think they can take over the thread and force discussion onto 2E while keeping the regulars or some shit?

youtu.be/6iqgTwu78WU

Anybody wanna hook me up with some epic level (17+) modules or materials for 1e ad&d? Thanks in advance

1E generally assumed that you wouldn't be playing at that high a level. Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits is famously high-level for the time, and assumes that you're at the staggering level range of 10-14.

Isle of the Ape, another famous high-level module, recommends that most classes should be at least 15th level. (Barbarians are level 12+, Druids 12+, Magic-Users 14+.)

Really, though, "epic level" adventurers only really became a thing in 2E after High Level Campaigns and the like got released.

However, 2E modules are mostly compatible with 1E so you can probably just use them as-is. High-level BECMI modules are a bit less compatible since, well, BECMI assumes you go up to level 36 (and beyond, where the REAL game begins).

Do you have epic level PCs? Because if you've reached that point through natural progression, content often writes itself. The group should have an impressive degree of connection to the world.

Failing the stuff here, throw them into the Veins of the Earth.

>DCO
The gg.no.re podcast ran it, if you like podcasts.

>56537205
>Getting mad at minor shit that total strangers do with their friends is a time honoured tradition.
And this is the internet, after all.

Anyone out there have a player-created undead apocalypse on the go?

Just saying Death Frost Doom isn't enough; tell me what happened afterwards.

Why, what makes Veins of the earth good for epic level play specifically?

Yknow, we're always talking about D&D specifically here, what about other OSR stuff? I like me some tunnels and trolls or gamma world. How about boot hill, has anyone actually ran or played in a game of boot hill?

A bunch of the stuff in it challenges the skills of high level players. Just surviving is very tricky for low-level characters - high level characters have tools that make it easier, but not a cakewalk. They can more easily interact with factions, start wars, and change the nature of the Veins.

They can also deal with some of the more ludicrously deadly monsters.

It explicitly confronts players with some of the realities of going underground that D&D has historically ignored. It's a supplement where running out of lamp oil is a common cause of death and there are rules for eating members of your party, not to mention some of the best monsters the Lamentations circle has ever come up with. As the book itself says, if dungeons are puddle of darkness, the Vieins are the ocean.

OSR generally specifically means the D&D stuff since it's all intercompatible and has a specific playstyle and whatnot. Gamma World and Boot Hill have conversion rules, true, but they're very different games.

OSR is also generally not used to refer to, say, RuneQuest or Traveller or Bunnies & Burrows and other old games. Just for reference.

Yes, the name is confusing (why is it "Old School" if it doesn't include everything oldschool?), but it's a legacy thing that's got too much traction to remove. Also, it's basically a brand that people use to say that "hey, we're OSR-compatible, you can use our material with all the stuff you already have".

The reason for all this is largely because D&D changes drastically with every edition in a way that you don't really see in many other games: RuneQuest or Vampire play roughly the same now and then, or at least in comparison to 1E and, say, 4E.
So since there's a whole playstyle that's abandoned with each edition, a bunch of people got interested in making new material for TSR D&D. Except that's tricky to do for legal reasons, so people created OSRIC as a bit of a legal loophole - your module isn't for AD&D, it's for OSRIC.
Hence retroclones. They later evolved into their own thing as indie games are wont to do, of course.

OD&D reprints being like Full Metal Plate Mail and Iron Falcon? Or is there something else?

If you're a fan of DCC at all, Goodman Games made Mutant Crawl Classics to fit that niche. I thought they had the pdf in the trove, but I guess not. No print version yet, dunno when that's ever going to happen because of how long it's taking to get the book to the printers.

>some of the realities of going underground that D&D has historically ignored.
What does it cover that the DSG doesn't?

And is objectively better than Mutant Future at what it does (though the Umerican Survival Guide is the better post-apocalyptic game, imo.)

BECMI and AD&D levels don't match up exactly according to the designers

Unfortunately, OSR is autistically focused solely on D&D and its clones. Believe me, I've tried to fight the tide before and it didn't turn out well.
Basically not all Old School games are OSR and not all games that claim to be OSR are Old School (cf The Black Hack, Whitehack)

""""realistic"""" cave properties + edgy stuff

Jeeze, /osr/ is slow tonight. Only 16 posters in the thread too.

What happened in your last session? Did anyone die?

One guy got his collar bone smashed and his arm torn off, but survived thanks to a miraculous surgery roll.

One guy got both hands cut off, though he managed to get them back--temporarily.

Nobody died, unfortunately. I may have been too soft.

It was a pretty good session over all,
and laid the groundwork for the campaign to really take off, I think. The players found a map leading to the Caverns of Thracia, which I'm tweaking and converting into notes now.

>One guy got both hands cut off, though he managed to get them back--temporarily.
Like, via surgery, but with bad stitches? Or water-soluble glue? Or temporary Barbarian HP?
> I may have been too soft.
Let the dice fall where they may. Design a system to take you out of it.

Last session was a return to a dungeon after an enforced 2-week wait due to a severe injury (the party's archer lost an ear). The dungeon's boss, who has finally figured out that the monsters on the first floor are all dead, laid a bunch of traps for them and got a bunch of hobgoblins to set up an ambush which felled two henches before the spellcaster pressed the big red Sleep button (and they managed to tie up the hob that was carrying the military oil before he could throw it).

One hench is dead, the other is missing an eye; the party are very very pissed off, however, because the dead hench was the highest level one they had.

She also made the Foo Fighters pay her royalties for use of a Buck Rogers™ ray gun for their debut album cover

Oh look, it's the retarded faggot troll SJW who always pops in to try to force his "OSR" onto everyone when we all know that the immutable permanence of True AD&D™ means that no house rules, no alterations can ever be brokered—SJW ideals can never be introduced into True AD&D™. This upsets the SJW, so the SJW attempts to force "OSR" and "house rules" upon us in order to advance the destruction of society as a whole.

> a severe injury (the party's archer lost an ear).
>an ear
Wat. Unless the guy was an elf, how is that severe? My uncle tore his ear off while working on a tractor; my aunt stitched it back on, took an asprin, and went back out that day. Of course, it was only 3/4 torn off, but if the whole thing had gone I've got no doubt he'd have had the stump stitched shut.

>military oil
Very nice.

H4 is for level 100+ and is for 1E AD&D so you're attempting to rewrite history. You cannot do this, however. You are SJW.

She lost it to a charging Gnoll, so it took a significant chunk of the side of her face alongside the ear.

He got his hands back through a wish. From an abyssal serpent that crawled out of the face of one of their sorcerers when he failed his spellcasting catastrophically. There can't possibly be any consequences to that, can there?

The "too soft" thing was mostly a joke. Three characters died in the previous session, this dungeon was just a different beast: less lethal, but more consequential to the world (they freed a bunch of undead into the countryside, and let a fate-altering artifact fall into the hands of some upstart bastard noble and his mercenaries).

Ran the funnel I had written for DCC, just a basic dungeon to get people familiarized with the game and dungeon crawling in general. Started with 16 level 0's, ended with 3 level 1 characters making it out alive. I used the purple sorcerer generator and printed out 15 pages of the 4 character sheets, which I cut into individual sheets to make a deck of characters to deal to players on game day, and I asked the players to write down what killed each character on the back of the sheet if they died. This was my favorite death from that session, party encountered some weird looking mutated humans hunched at the intersection of some corridors, so they decided to purge them, which had consequences when the mutants started ripping off their explosive fingers and hurling them at the party.

Hah! My uncle fought a charging gnoll and...

But seriously, that makes more sense. Ouch.
>There can't possibly be any consequences to that, can there?
Seems legit.
youtube.com/watch?v=DHL3IPfYThw
>when the mutants started ripping off their explosive fingers and hurling them at the party.
Metal.

Oh also I finally figured out how enchantments work in my setting (using ACKS rules, for what it's worth).

I've never much liked the whole "oh but I just enchant it as a +3 and done" thing because all enchantments are a huge investment anyway, so why the fuck do +1s exist? Sure they take less in the way of monster spleens to make (gotta love that mechanic) but there's still a lingering "just hang around and make a better one" problem that doesn't sit right with me.

I was reading the playtest rules for how Masterwork Items work, and then it struck me - the obvious solution is that there are no +3 enchantments. You get a +3 weapon by enchanting the "Magic Weapon" spell (+1) into a masterwork weapon (another +1) that is made from one of the various special materials in my setting that grants a +1 bonus.

So a Masterwork Mythril Dwarven Axe has a +2 bonus (but doesn't hit wraiths and shit like that), and then when you enchant it becomes a +3 Dwarven Axe.

This does mean, however, that I'm probably going to have to allow people to make "+3, +4 vs " bane weapons, but I don't mind that so much. Bane weapons at the top end should be amazing and unique anyway.

Does anyone have Dungeon Full of Monsters or the Monster Alphabet? They don't seem to be in the trove

How in the name of holy fuck do you reach anywhere near level 100 in AD&D?

Get that scrilla

You're like a little baby man, basing everything you know off of what Veeky Forums says.

Veeky Forums doesn't know shit about running games, and if you think that every game plays out like Veeky Forums claims it does, you're not only a fucking idiot, you drank the kool-aid and deserve your shitty games.

GMs weren't hamstrung by the rules in AD&D and D&D. If you wanted to try something, do something or attempt something, regardless of class, you were welcome to do so. Gm's usually assigned a stat roll to it or based it off your attack roll with a modifier they had basic guidelines for with no real set in stone crap. Magic items were rare, and powerful, and a GM could base a whole bunch of sessions based on the players getting the equipment to create a magic item - even if one was a wizard. Fighters could kill mages, dragons, and beholders with only a magic weapon and sometimes without.

A GM was expected to make shit up on the fly, because the rules were pretty clear: GM is god of the game, and he put forth your challenges and you either could man up and try and succeed, or try and be a rules lawyer and get laughed out of the game.

It's easy to run games to high levels, if you actually have a good GM who says 'fuck it, this is my ruling, let's move on folks'.

Read it for yourself: rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/AD&D 1st Edition/Modules/H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone.pdf

Basically it's just for the lulz as far as I can tell.

(Also you're responding to a shitposter, stop that)

>post a paragraph that has nothing to do withe question except until the very last sentence and even it's not even answering the question but addressing another issue related to the question

For a Post-Apoc/Fantasy hybrid campaign would I be better off using:

BFRPG & Supplements + ASE/Post-Apoc Supplements + Last Gasp Casting Tables for DCC-esque magic

or

DCC Classes & Magic + select Umerica Classes/Items + MCC Mutant Class?

Which would nail that 'Genesis of Shannara' meets "Wizards" meets Sword & Radiation?

So basically only the games I call OSar are OSR?

If you didn't understand what the paragraph has to do with answering the question, congratulations, you're the problem.

20,019,999gp will get a thief pretty close.

Calm down granddad. I was just asking. Most games I've been involved in don't really get past level 10-12 so unless you just sort of arbitrarily start off at or near 100 it seems unlikely that most people would reach that in play

You guys ever use music to help set the mood that wasn't your standard "medieval instruments in a tavern" fare? I've been really digging FM syth music lately and I feel like something like this just fits with dungeon crawling so well.

youtube.com/watch?v=XnlirMbRQlM

It really depends on the session and the game tone. Lots of synth, lots of older stuff, some soundtracks, etc.

The cave generation system is not realistic, and not even supposed to be. The book basically says "yeah just refluff it to something less silly if you want" about it. VotE isn't even "edgy". You could have at least said "pretentious" and that would be a more valid criticism than "edgy". What's with this thread's unrelenting hateboner for anything associated with LotFP lately?

Post the second weirdest mage on your PC.

More like whatever the mob calls OSR is OSR.

>lately
I've been hating that garbage for years. Deal with it Raggidrone.

>raggidrone
I have never paid a single cent for LotFP products, and I find most LotFP modules are garbage, but I still think the endless circlejerking about how bad LotFP is is extremely obnoxious

Whatever you say Monty.

>mage
Got it.

All the people who wrote in about beating the snot out of Waldorf are pretty great.

>My character, “Fist” Xavier Redlance, has become ultimately powerful. . . . He owns three or four completely paid-for and fortified castles. He and his mount, a 14-HD cloud dragon (“Phantom ”), could wipe out Tiamat in one round of combat, or obliterate five tarrasques or even Waldorf. He is a 60th-level knight/23rd-level bard/23rd-level druid/l4th-level illusionist. . . . His two weapons are a mounted Dragonlance and a + 6 two-handed holy avenger. He is also psionically imbued. Tell Waldorf that not all of the planet was obliterated. “Fist” Xavier has two of his castles completely surrounded by granite (i.e, they’re three miles underground). The one thing he hasn’t done is design a device to clean up postexplosion radiation, but he is currently working on the problem. He can come out because his armor is resistant to just about any substance known to man (or Waldorf).
>Travis Fox
>Virginia Beach VA

>From page 98 of The Adventure Begins:
>Waldorf the Archmage (CN human male, Wizard 1, hp 1) is the 64 year old owner of the Roc and Oliphant Tavern. "Waldorf is notorious for his tall tales, most of which allegedly concern his past life as a deity. (He says he was eventually thrown down and made mortal by other jealous gods after a great battle in space.) He is a master storyteller for a failed wizard, and his grandiose but straightforward lies are the envy of all."

>H4 is for level 100+
Liar. It's for levels 20-100.

>He is also psionically imbued
Rookie mistake. That'll get you killed, levels be damned.

It's for levels 18–100 you pathetic faggot liar. You dare to try to correct someone without even knowing the truth yourself? Fucking disgusting.

Actually my dad works at TSR and Gary says it's for level 19-100+

This pathetic faggot thinks Gary worked for TSR when H4 was published / written

Actually, I'm about to run my first session tomorrow. I'm going over my stuff to see if I need some last minute changes.
>Rules
pastebin.com/GmYSiJGF
>Classes:
pastebin.com/16TvLTv3
pastebin.com/r0nWgfXa
pastebin.com/8xjR2ujX
pastebin.com/2GkNFBZU
pastebin.com/9tMXiEPr
pastebin.com/iW2NWX6V
pastebin.com/91D9WQVn
pastebin.com/XDX380uj

Any feedback or comments before I fall flat on my face and sperg out tomorrow?

It's gary from accounting

What kind of faggot do you take me for? Somebody who runs the Bloodstone series?

19–100 FAGS = PATHETIC FAGGOTS

Was it autism?

God dann it, guy. I was trying to sleep.

Douglas Niles as in Skills & Powers Douglas Niles. As in attempted to destroy True AD&D™ Douglas Niles. As in excommunicate Douglas Niles just like Skip Williams (spawn of Lorraine, show me the birth certificate).

What is a good "zero to hero" adventure, with an interesting story? looking to adapt it for my new campaign

Also as in N1, Knight Hawks, X3, B5, CM1, H1, DL2, DL6, DL9, DL11, Battlesystem, SF4, SFKH1, IJ2, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, and part of the City of Greyhawk box set.

Hercules. Even has a song about it

It's unfortunate that TSR chose to exclude those products from the canon of True AD&D™. Nevertheless they did so by means of Skills & Powers.

>one bad product means everything the author worked on should be expunged
Never change you crazy coot.

Lol, is there material for it in the trove?

Oh shit I completely misinterpreted what you wanted

The middle chapter (basically a novella) in Iron Council, titled Anamnesis. Where a nobody academic becomes a skilled Golemist and begins a revolution for the marginalized, starting with a railroad strike.

>posting a cleric and an orc

That's a pretty short cleric.

Heh. Pretty sure Chiron is the orc.

Yeah i should say module but this are good suggestions hehe

Anything is zero-to-hero depending on how you run it, you dope. Literally any module.

Then a module with an interesting story?

Adam's Wrath
The Awakening

>yfw when you realize Oerth is actually pronounced OYth