When does playing a beast character go from normal d&d to full fledged furfaggotry?

You see I'm interested in making a gnoll or a kobold pc. How do I avoid being deemed a furry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GmULc5VANsw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

By playing it as bestial and animal-like as possible.
Also making sure their fur is dirt colored and not bullshit like "auburn with gray streaks"
But most importantly, by not starting the introduction with any variation of "bee tee dubs, I'm not a furry"

Play a character not a fetish and you’ll be ok.

>You see I'm interested in making a gnoll or a kobold pc.
Just don't

> bestial and animal-like as possible
Seconded, real animals give no fucks.

Also, avoid making puns. I had a gnoll player who acted like a stupid, slobbering mutt and constantly made dog puns. He and that game are the reason I typically only allow one non-standard race per party in most circumstances.

Play whatever the fuck you want and don't give a shit what people think about you. If you're not actually obstructing the game then you should be a-ok

As a guy playing a ratfolk, I think the important thing is to not make everything about the characters species.

If the characters race is the most important part of the character youre doing something wrong.

By not making it sexual. As long as you're not trying to yiff anything you come across and your fellow players aren't retards, you should be okay.

The fact you're even asking this tells me you're not a furfag and therefore have nothing to worry about. The only players who ever cause problems when playing beast races aren't self aware enough to even know they could cause problems.

Make peace with the fact that no matter what you do, or how you play, someone is going to fall you a furfag

For kobolds its hella easy. By lore, they are quite xenophobic an consider almost all other races to be hideous(I would imagine they see humans in the same way humans see ogres), and they traditionally have very little to no concept of romance or love. They breed purely as a a means of reproduction and it is considered to be more of a service to the clan than any personal enjoyment. So for all intents and purposes, just play your kobolds as asexual. Just RP the kobold like they are intended and you will have no problems.

Bold every time!

Just play the game and stop defining your character’s actions by their race and play “as the character”

Yeah I was thinking the kobold would be a high strung ball of stress that stab prone.

Play them like how you would play a human character from a far off land who is either entranced, disgusted, or even ignorant of the culture and ways of humanity.

Don't do sexual shit.

>We were the first forgers of civilization.
>They called us demons, witches and more but it was all lies.
>The truth was we won not because of savagery or magics but by strength of innovation.
>We were the first smithies, the first men to gather sky-metal and hammer it into swords and shields.
>Long ago they stole away the secrets of our craft.
>But the truth is that we were first, WE WERE KINGS.
>This is why gnolls detest the lesser races.
>Because the gnolls were the first empire and they will be the last.

That, and also don't play your "fursona" (though if you have one, you're already a furry regardless of the character you play)

Okay, when playing a gnoll, a few tips to keep in mind.

>You're facing an uphill struggle. Everyone knows that one goddamn fact about spotted hyenas and ignores everything else.
>Gnolls aren't like spotted hyenas socially. So you can ignore any advice telling you to look at the animals for inspiration.
>And there's three other hyena species to look at if you did want to anyway.
>Don't play a female gnoll, because of the first thing.
>Remember, demonic engine of butchery first, anything else secondary.

>When does playing a beast character go from normal d&d to full fledged furfaggotry?
When it stops being a character and starts being wish fulfillment.
>How do I avoid being deemed a furry?
Do your best to not self-insert.
lord knows that I do both of these things every time I roll a beast race and can't stop, if anyone has tips on how to avoid them please share

I'm playing a Ysoki in Starfinder and I try to play it naturally without stressing too much about the race. Maybe it's coming off a little bland but I'd rather not have a stereotypical or annoying character.

If you're straight, make it male. Avoid any descriptions of bellies or musk.

If you're gay, don't bother. They'll think you're a furry regardless.

Play the gnoll as they originally were. A magical crossbreed of gnome and troll.

Do as the gnolls do: don't give a shit what someone calls you and enjoy the things you like.

user you're playing an anthro hyena. You're very probably definitely a furfag.

If you're bent on not being a furfag, play a demihuman with some hyena features. Like one o' them monstergirls.

What is worst, Veeky Forums?

Being a furfag and knowing it?
Or being a furfag weeaboo and thinking it's okay?

>If you're bent on not being a furfag
>be one of them subsets o' furfags

What did xhe mean by this?

>claims bait
>posts furry
Typical weeb.

As a kobold just be a cunning and ruthless sociopath. if level 7 take leadership and use your kobold followers as lemmings. try not too be cute, be cute anyways.

Don't constantly refer to your non human parts. Others don't want to hear about how odd your smiling muzzle look, hear about your wagging tail, you don't need to constantly talk about your swiveling, emotive ears or your musky animal smell.

This
You try to play a kobold once cause you think it'll be cool and the next thing you know everyone thinks you want to fuck a dragon

Sometimes people ignore the lore and think all you want to do is play out your fursona or some dumb shit like that

but im a massive fur-fag and do just that

Literally playing a lizardfolk at this very minute. Backstory is he's a fucking gross sewer dwelling lizard that lived under the Rome copy in this setting. Became "The Disgusting Lizard" Colosseum fighter. Nobody question shit.

But user, what if it's everyone else at the table making the puns?

WE

need to get off of Veeky Forums.

>How do I avoid being deemed a furry?
You don't. Nobody cares unless you're fursuit RAWR x3 levels of obnoxious. It's like asking how you avoid being deemed a faggot or tranny if you play the opposite gender. People on tg making outrage threads about beast races, dwarves, goliaths, gnomes, goblins, male players with female characters etc. don't actually play TTRPG

Disregard what people think and play your character. Think about how a wild creature would react to various things. Has your gnoll ever seen a large stone building? A library? Ever been inside a castle or a temple? Ever eaten food with spices? Does you gnoll what a guild, coinage, or feudalsim are? Are you playing a young whippersnapper who hasn't fully been put into gnoll society, or are you an old gnoll looking for a different life? You're going to need an interesting backstory.
If you have a "progressive" DM, you might need to remind them that people in most D&D settings hate gnolls. That was my big gripe whenever I play monstrous humanoids, none of my DMs ever seem to remember the "monstrous" part. Also talk to the other players and the DM so you can figure out how you became a part of the party because It's going to be one hell of a tale.

Stop making this thread.

You're a furfag.

Kobolds are goblins crossed with rats and lizards, so you should be fine.

>implying spreadsheets and erp are Veeky Forums either.

It's too late OP. Next thing you know, you'll be spitroasted by two sparkledogs behind the Anthrocon podium.

It's gonna be tough if you're actually a furry. If that's your thing it'll shine through and become obvious pretty quickly. If you're a regular guy and just think some things about gnolls or kobolds are cool, then just focus on the parts you think are cool.

Closest example I can relate is when I played a Khajiit in Skyrim. I made the character and was like "sweet I'm going Unarmed Combat due to their bonus from having fucking razors on their hands, I'm gonna fuck shit up with my bare claws and make jokes with M'aiq because Khajiit are funny kleptomaniacs who still kick ass. That reminds me, gonna make a point to pickpocket the fuck out of people for RP purposes because Khajiit do that". If you play the race for reasons like those you'll be fine.

If you play a Gnoll PC and brag about your psuedopenis or become sexually aggressive people are gonna be weirded out by you very quickly and the furry accusations will come out in short order. Likewise if you play a Kobold and keep trying to cuddle people for warmth or emphasize racial aspects in a sexual manner ("my race reproduces out of need and I need help re-establishing my clan" or "I have this sensual lizard tongue imagine what it can do") you'll be called a scaley in no time.

>When does playing a beast character go from normal d&d to full fledged furfaggotry?

Immediately

Don't play beast races,

What?

>Normal
Plays a normal character like a human or a dwarf, has a good time and doesn't make a big deal out of his choices.

>Snowflake
Plays an unusual character like a warforged or a dragonborn, may bring up this fact a few times, just doesn't want to play something "normal"

>"Good" furry
Plays a beast-man race, such as a gnoll or lizard-man. Doesn't make a big deal out of it, likes the ideas and lore behind the race. Probably looks at pron of these races, but doesn't bring it up and knows how to hide his power level. Does not into furry extreme fetish shit.
or the only good furry is a dead one

>Furry
Plays a beast-kin or lizard-kin race. Acts like that, may pretend to act cute. Can be shut down with resistance, or may be beta as fuck and super quiet. Is hard, but possible to be shapeable into a passable player. Hides his power level but may open up and express a glimpse or so into it if he's feeling comfortable with certain individuals.

>Furfag
Plays a x-kin or x race (replace x with whatever fursona faggot animal they think they are) and will try to snowflake and steal the spotlight at all times. Will be annoying as fuck and will roleplay doing stupid/gay shit that he thinks is "cute" and will get angry and defensive when he's called out on his bullshit. Has no problem with going off on deviant/degenerate tangents and tries to shoehorn fetish shit in, sometimes secretly, sometimes blatantly. Do not boot from the table, instead host a "roleplay" event where everyone gets to take part in sacrificing someone to summon a demon. Protip: this guy is the sacrifice.

I hope this helps clarify your question OP. But in general, screen out trash and do your part to spay and neuter them.

Let the rest of your party know about your huge throbbing pseudo-penis, no furry would ever mention that.

This.

I have a handful of friends that are 100% furries. You'd only know if you'd watched them draw or specifically asked them.

Like any hobby/fetish/lifestyle you'll find that it only becomes a problem if you invent something to judge them for, OR if they invent something to claim you're judging them for.

if someone claims you're a furry just because you play a beast character, they're just as likely to call you a vegan because you ate a vegetable in front of them.

But user, all things are furry. Mermaids, lamias, centaurs, people from Oregon, even the post office. It's all an elaborate conspiracy going back twenty thousand years to the formation of the secret Byzantine Empire-not to be confused with the fake one that existed during recorded human history. And don't even get me started on vegetables.

The post stunk of /pfg/.

But user, the Furfaggot Conspiracy goes back at least 40,000 years.

Look at the history of the beastfolk, play it like an actual character and not wish fulfillment, etc etc.

Like any good character, put some work into it and you'll be fine.

I honestly like to play on the traits of them that make them most interesting as a race, not just 'Animal but humanish'. Kobolds say they descend from dragons. I like to play my characters as prideful, and noble, but with a sense of humility from their size. Like a reasonable dragonborn.

Read Ecology of the Flind.
Ignore any other post in this thread.
use 4e Yeenoghu gnoll lore sparingly.
**There is actual indication of Pseudopenis, based on how tribe hierachy is determineed per the ecology, but it's never really stated, though one might find the Gnoll anger-sweat caves in Baldur's Gate one to be an example of Gnolls exhibiting extreme aggression when in rut, as there was something really fucking gay about that cave.**

By not acting like a faggot

>You see I'm interested in making a gnoll or a kobold pc.
Don't.

I don't remember THAT part from Baldur's Gate. And aren't flinds the stronger, meaner, gnolls that eat their own kind?

Only in 5e.

Originally, they were a more lawful bending gnollkin, who had a bit more civilization. Even when they got introduced to 3e, they were Neutral Evil rather than the chaotic evil ones seen in 5e.

Who don't even have Flindbars.

if you do that, you are not a furfag, just a furry
you're still disgusting, but thanks for keeping it to yourself
>inb4 "but I come to games wearing my fursuit"

By not giving a fuck.

> posts weeb
> claims furry
Typical bait

Own it. Even if it's an obvious fetish, if you play down the lewd bits and focus on being an engaging character, no one gives a shit.

Avoid wearing diapers to games and saying shit like "BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAP! *inhales deeply* oh my, how stinky :3" and you'll be fine.

It's been already said before in the thread, but just play the character and not the race. Your character's race is mostly about background and the setting than anything else; even if some races have defining traits those are not the center of their nature.

Also, avoid any idealized description; the main difference between anthro and furfaggotry is, I think, that furries tend to make their characters look like fashion magazine models. You're going to play a gnoll? Then it's a fucking hyena on two legs, with dirty, matted fur, savage habits and aggressive, not a cartoony hyena head with blue dyed hair atop a slim framed human body.
And if some fucker calls you a furfag, said person will also probably mess with your character ingame. Bite his fingers off, and see if he keeps messing with your afterwards (ingame, of course. Don't to stupid shit).

What is that in the picture? Looks familiar

Some people just think animal humanoid=furry when that just isn't the case

Depends on what you mean by animal humanoid. An anthro animal, ie a dog standing on two legs, is furry.

So what is an animal humanoid that wouldn't be furry?

Gnolls eat Carrion all the danm time, it's what they use ghouls for- great for scavenging. Also, the secondary reason for eating Carrion is that the bacteria they're ridden in GET'S YOU HIGH. (See high meat).

BG1, Bandit camp, there's cave gnolls who are for some reason- extremely unreasonably unnecessarily angry in a stinky cave- for no other reason than being Khorne levels of pissed- but it comes off as incredibly excessively bizarre.

As soon as you write 'Gnoll' on your character sheet.

Well, yeah, I know they eat dead things, but I was referring to "flind" apparently meaning "eater of gnolls" in their language. I'm not sure which edition that became a thing in, though. And frankly, being stuck in a smelly cave seems like it'd make anyone unhappy, regardless of any weird sex connotations.

Something demihuman ie a monstergirl.

Arguably worse than a furry

Flinds are also mostly female- usually the male is the King to note- but they're the Gnolls that actually have some degree of tact- strategy, and are also the ones with clerical spells and capacity to summon ghouls- which for Gnolls is pretty much the highest they usually reach, at least based on the context given in the ecology.

>Furry-lite
No thanks.

Furries at least know what they are and own it. Monstergirl fags will vehemently deny how degenerate they are.

In this instance the result of "owning" it is such a severe case of property damage and degeneracy that every hotel in the country bans you
youtube.com/watch?v=GmULc5VANsw

It's from "The Sociology of the Flind" in Dragon 173. Which puts it as 2nd edition.

this

>anything
>worse than furshit

>So what is an animal humanoid that wouldn't be furry?
>a monstergirl.

I've met some cool furries who don't even shove it into my face
I've never met a weeb who wasn't annoying

You're on an anime imageboard made to discuss japanese culture and now owned by a japanese man.

You're only supporting his statement.

user you're making yourself out to be a furry, you have less than no ground to stand on.

Keeping its dick or vagina solely within the confines of its own species.

>"Good" furry
This is how it ought to be. You can be into anime, hentai too, and as long as you're not proselytizing or perving out you're good. Maybe your friends call you a weeb sometimes, that's great too. We'd all be so much better off if furfaggotry was still a modest, nameless sci-fi/fantasy subculture.

Damn, I always thought that corgi fell into the upright critter territory.

Is this furry too.

This as well. The mere notion of hybrids are a sure sign you've got someone obtuse to deal with.

>here's your canine beat race

Make a robust culture for your race of choice to roleplay from, and base most of their traits and features off that instead of their physiology.

That actually looks pretty rad. Maybe not as a character, but definitely a monster or something.

I can already hear the barafags gushing.

I have played with that kind of 'good' furry, least I think so.

Play various exotic races, generally pretty imaginative and at least solid roleplayers, not any memorable drama or serious problems. Was always fine. Any sexuality was purely within the norms for what the group was ok with, for characters human or otherwise.

Helps I was one too but it wasn't like we were all waving flags to each other or anything.

I’m just going to come out and say it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being a furry or playing a furry character.

There are things wrong with making a bad character.

Just make a good character and you will be fine

Why would you lie on the internet

reddit isn't wasting any time tonight it seems

play a character and not a proxy for you to fuck everything that moves and you will be fine.

Playing a Gnoll and making Dog puns is grounds for immediate dismissal in my games. Do your goddamn research if you're gonna try to get into character beyond a stat block.

>There is nothing inherently wrong with being a furry

They get away with because it seems traditionalist.