The Adventure Zone

What does Veeky Forums think of Adventure Zone?

I understand why people get defensive around it (that's not how you play D&D!) but god damn it's hilarious. I used to listen to it while I was working out, but then I laughed in a bad spot and almost dropped my weights on my phone, so I switched to listening to it at work. Now I'm nerves I'll burst out laughing while my boss is walking by.

The first episode is kind of clunky though.

It's alright. Got kind of bored with it after a while, though. But I think that's just because I realized I don't really like listening to other people play D&D. Kind of like how I don't like watching like Let's Plays and such on youtube.

You know, I've never said this but I'm really starting to smell a shill.

I listened to the first few episodes at work and almost shat myself laughing, I can't imagine doing it working out.

And I agree with you; I see the complaints over mechanics but I personally really love it, the guys are competent enough that no one ever tries to cheese things too hard when Griffin gets loosey goosey with the rules.

I can understand that. It's part of the reason I could never get into critical role and a lot of other gameplay podcasts

>talking about Veeky Forums related things we like is shilling
simply epic

Good story, fun and feels. It's not really D&D, but then... I can't listen to actual D&D podcasts because the ho-humming, rules debates, and background noise is grating. TAZ was edited to be listenable.

It makes me angry that my current group is big into Critical Role, but none of them have listened to The Adventure Zone. Last session a player called someone else a golden god, and they didn't know who Dennis was. They just heard the joke on Critical Role.

Better than my last group, who would just talk about anime.

I'm going to be playing D&D for the first time in a week or so, and started listening to this basically for that reason. But are they so loose about the rules that that's going to be an issue, or is it fine? I'm on episode 4 so far, and none of them are experienced in the system, so I assume it'll get better w/r/t rules anyway.

It'll get better, and then it will get way worse for the rules. If you get to the dune buggies, you are past where this will help you learn rules. But that is really far away from where you are.

Learn from their mistakes. If you are a caster, learn your damn spells and be ready to cast them on your turn.

>There has to be at least 2 TAZ threads on Veeky Forums at all times to discuss if they like it or not. Not anything that happens in it but just advertising it exists.
Yeah, same. E-celeb tier threads should be banned.

Never heard of it.

A webcomic?

its a dnd podcast, not recommended if you get anal about the rules though.

the first arc "there be gerblins" is funny but the series really picks up on the "rockport limited", when griffin can get a bit more creative.

Griffin in particular has a near-obsession with never letting a project he's on drag. In podcasts he's always moving things along to make for good radio, in the Awful Squad livestreams he'll push for them to keep moving in order to force engagements. I get that he's a bit of a perfectionist with these things but man, your family and coworkers are entertaining enough for ya'll to just breathe and let things chill a bit.

>its a dnd podcast

And that's all I need to know to be 100% convinced that it sucks, thanks for warning me

I dropped it when they started harping on about Takos name being offensive to certain minorities and that one trans faggot they introduced. Christ is there any dnd podcast not infested by numales and SJW's?

wow your sensitive faggot if that all it takes to be turned off of a podcast.

>Just ignore the prenning tumblr peacocks and enjoy the show!
Just ignore half the bullshit they say and its a good show?
N-no thanks user.

It's in and and of itself pretty entertaining, but it dragging it's tumblrfag fanbase into D&D and tabletop in general has really just been shitty. I've also been somewhat soured on McElroy content since Griffin proved himself to be spineless with the whole Nick Controversy.

Stop shilling it.

>Griffin proved himself to be spineless with the whole Nick Controversy
Can I get a quick rundown?

Nick Robinson, Griffin's alleged friend and partner on a lot of Polygon's only tolerable content, got accused of some sort of sexual misconduct, for which there was no evidence beyond him flirting awkwardly/poorly on Twitter. There was a giant uproar among the numales and feminists and such, and Nick was forced to resign.

Griffin condemned him and washed his hands of him, despite the whole thing smacking of a smear campaign by some game devs who's game he shat on , and doubled down on being Tumblr brand quirky and wholesome.

>got accused of some sort of sexual misconduct, for which there was no evidence beyond him flirting awkwardly/poorly on Twitter.
Inaccurate. The only evidence provided to the public was him doing creepy flirting on Twitter. Polygon investigated, and what they found was sufficient for them to part ways with Nick. We don't know what they saw, but if there was anything to exonerate Nick then I think we would have seen it by now.

The "bad stuff " did come out. He tried to solicit nudes, poorly. That's it.
Polygon know their audience, and once blood was in the water they knew that they'd have to do something about Nick or suffer the wrath of a thousand tumblrs.

Some bad stuff came out. Not nearly the amount that he was accused of, not enough for him to be notorious among game devs for slipping into women's DMs. There's a narrative you're trying to force this to fit with, but it doesn't.

I haven't seen any of it. If so, I apologize . Regardless, Griffin dropping Nick and doubling down on his inoffensive soft boy image just left a bad taste in my mouth. His whole persona feels very forced and ingenue now

>His whole persona feels very forced and ingenue now
Consider how he felt? That it's important to him that people look at him and his work and feel confident that he's not a huge creep that's been taking advantage of him. That things he attaches his name to can be comfortable and safe. And that Nick knew how important that was to him and was doing this stuff knowing full well the blowback it could have on Griffin. That was really shitty of Nick to do.

Like, imagine if your take on this is correct and Nick only ever was creepy flirting with girls on Twitter. He still would be aware that would damage his image and Griffin's image by proxy. And he was doing it anyway. So even if he's as innocent as he could possibly be, he was still being a pretty shitty friend and business associate to Griffin.

Comfortable and safe are very specific, often fragile terms for the sort of people who make up a large majority of their fanbase, though.I've seen people waiting for the McElroys to slip up and do something worthy of scorn so they can destroy their careers and feel vindicated.
And I don't think that awkwardly flirting or even coming on to people are damning sins. It's a thing that happens, that people do. And they are people, not just disembodied images/brands and fonts of content. Public figures don't have to be saints, and considering we live in an age when you could tell me basically any politician or hollywood exec had a satanic child sex temple in Peru and I wouldn't bat an eye because that's just the sort of shit that's happening now creepily hitting on chicks is pretty low on the sin list IMHO.

>but it dragging it's tumblrfag fanbase into D&D and tabletop in general has really just been shitty
D&D was already popular in those circles well before TAZ got popular.

I used to listen to Adventure Zone and their other more popular podcast My Brothe, My Brother and Me. I dropped them all hard around the time of the election because they are all whiny faggots.

It's not shilling, it's bait. TAZ is a magical trigger for all sorts of groups: /pol/, the MUH RAILROAD crew, "have you tried not playing D&D" parrots, and those who hate anything popular to name a few.