Low Magic, High Fantasy Campaing

I am going to GM a low magic, high fantasy campaign in my own setting, which is not!Game Of Thrones.

I plan on using Fantasy Craft which looks pretty gud but I was wondering if any of you fa/tg/uys have any other system suggestions or general suggestions about Fantasy Craft? Because not gonna lie even though Fantasy Craft seems really good, it shows its age.

>inb4 use GURPS.
Also please don't do this.

GURPS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

24 second op complete

Never used fantasy craft but based on the game you want to run, I’d say Palladium Fantasy is viable.

That comes down to how much on the spectrum you're looking for, from Rolemaster spiced with _____ Law, to RQ (with or without G), Chaosium Generics, GURPS, all the way out to Harn.

Unless you're looking for something in a different wheelhouse, or that was published post 90s, in which case hit up the FORGE archive on therpgsite.

Savage Worlds is my go to generic system but I don't know if that has the grit you may be looking for.

New Worlds of Darkness is pretty easy to homebrew as well.

>LMHF
MYFAROG

Thank you for your suggestions but at a quick glance, it seems a bit setting depended? If this is the case I can't really use it.

Call me a brainlet but Harnmaster was too complicated for my liking. I was looking somewhere in the middle I guess, enough magic to not make wizards completely useless but not enough to go "why the fuck we have non-casters?".

Great system but setting depended and as much as I love the Tolkienverse I wouldn't want to roleplay in it.

>Great system but setting depended and as much as I love the Tolkienverse I wouldn't want to roleplay in it.
>MYFAROG
Something's fucky here.

<

How many layers of Autism are you on?

No, I am just retarted, I mixed up MYFAROG with AIME.

>enough magic to not make wizards completely useless but not enough to go "why the fuck we have non-casters?".
I'm pretty sure it's not what you're looking for, but Anima - Beyond Fantasy technically fits that bill by making high-power martials just as bullshit as high-power casters

Some friends recently started up a streamed campaign with Roll20, and I tuned in to watch all 4 hours of their character creation. I joked around in chat, explained bits of the rules and mechanics to people who asked, and generally had a great time. But I haven’t been watching them actually play. I’ve stayed away partially because the timing doesn’t quite work for me, partially because one of my roommates is in the game and I can hear him talking in real time and then again 10 seconds later via Twitch’s time delay, but, most of all, because I am way too jealous.

Burning Wheel is one of those games I’ve played just enough to fall in love with, but not nearly enough to be sick of. Or even remotely satisfied.

What is the Burning Wheel? It’s a roleplaying game first and foremost about characters. Realistic-feeling, rounded characters, with talents and flaws, ambitions, goals, and dreams. It’s a game about watching a story unfold and develop around you, about learning new skills, challenging your beliefs, failing, getting yourself into trouble through your own over-ambition and mistakes, and growing as both a character and a player.

Burning Wheel is an incredibly mechanically-rich game. I could spend several posts talking about the different moving parts. But instead, I think it'd be better if you had a read through, even a slight perusal to get a feel for how a well blended GNS game can feel. Have a skim through in the trove.

Never heard of this, will check it out for sure. Thank you.

I hate weaboos and power fantasy.

>Want a bloody, brutal game
>D20 clone

Do you hate yourself or have you just not played anything else?

I think any game where stabbing someone with a dagger from behind deals too little damage to cause any meaningful damage for 99% of characters, you can't really do anything like that.

I am really scared of looking into Burning Wheel because I heard that it was really crunchy and complicated. My players don't know English so I have to do all the reading and explaining.

Is this feasible to do in Burning Wheel?

I find flanking nonsensical and hate rules about flanking.

>I find flanking nonsensical
What?

I don't think going around someone to stab them from behind in close combat situations is feasible. It may work in situations where you are being stealthy but I don't count those situations as flanking. This is just my opinion.

user, people do that in real life. Surrounding the guy you want to attack is basic tactics that even dumbass street punks do.

I would sure give other types of advantages to combatants if they overwhelm somebody but in my mind, it is not possible to just walk to somebody's back and stab them from behind.

Here's a list archived on sup/tg/, you can ignore the ones already covered. If you can't find something on the list that gels as an alternative to FC, hop on the IRC channel. We've got GMs running a variety of games if you'd like to playtest a system.

Agone Alshard Alshard Gaia Amber Diceless Anima ANKUR Aquelarre Arcanis Arduin Aria Arianrhod RPG Ars Magica BattleDragons BFRP Bifrost The Black Company Blue Rose The Burning Wheel By the Gods Castles and Crusades Castle Falkenstein Chivalry & Sorcery Les Chroniques d'Erdor Chronicles of Ramlar GURPS Conan Conan: The Roleplaying Game Cursed Empire Dangerous Journeys The Dark Eye Deliria Demon's Lair Dinky Dungeons Donjon Dragon Age Dragonlance: Fifth Age DragonQuest DragonRaid Dragonroar Dragon Warriors Drakar och Demoner Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon World Earthdawn Element Masters Elemental Axes Elfquest Elric! Empire of the Petal Throne Eon Everquest Everway Exalted Fantasy Age Fantasy Craft Fantasy Hero Fantasy Imperium The Fantasy Trip Fireborn Furry Pirates Fate of the Norns A Game of Thrones Grimm HackMaster Hârn HARP Hawkmoon Hero Kids HeroQuest/Hero Wars Hidden Kingdom Hunter's Dark In Nomine Ironclaw Legend of the Five Rings Lejendary Adventure Lone Wolf Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game Maelstrom Man, Myth & Magic by Yaquinto Mechanical Dream MEGA MERP Michtim Midgard Mighty Blade Mistborn Adventure Game Monastyr Mouse Guard Multiverser MYFAROG Mystos Mythworld Night Wizard! Nobilis OSRIC Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Phantasy Conclave Powers and Perils Rêve: the Dream Ouroboros The Riddle of Steel RMFRP RuneQuest Scion Sengoku: Chanbara Seventh Sea The Shadow of Yesterday Skyrealms of Jorune The Slayers d20 Sphinx Stormbringer Swordbearer Sword World RPG Talislanta Tormenta Tribe 8 Tunnels and Trolls Trollbabe Warcraft Weapons of the Gods WFRP What Price Glory?! The Wheel of Time Wiedźmin Wizards' Realm World Tree

It absolutely is if they're busy fighting somebody else and don't notice you. It also is if you are already engaged and they turn to deal with an attack from somebody else, leaving themselves open to a shanking.

Fantasy Craft and D&D agree with you. You have to have a ally on the other side of an enemy in order to claim a flanking bonus.

In GURPS it's theoretically possible to get into someone's side or back hex from facing them square, but doing so means you are either using some kind of superhuman mobility power or using a run around attack and it's shit, so you are shit for trying it.

Of course, in D&D and fantasy craft if the average person drives a knife into someone's back from behind and twist they will do trivial damage.

I mean thank you, it is really appreciated but maybe try using slashes or commas?

Then shank away my friend but in my table you are not going to get to freely shank somebody from behind because they are not dumb and blind.

>Of course, in D&D and fantasy craft if the average person drives a knife into someone's back from behind and twist they will do trivial damage.

I mean that's why we have GMs, right? If the situation is plausible I would just say "Yeah he is dead."

>Drakar och Demoner
Mein Afrikanischer

Do you even understand how flanking works? You get bonuses for being on the flank or to the rear because you are attacking from a position that it is more difficult to defend against. If the person you are attacking changes facing to face you, then you will lose those bonuses, which is why it only works when there is somebody else there that they don't want to turn away from. Say, someone more heavily armed.

I loled more than I should

I understand how it works. I am just saying that a person who knows how to fight would never expose themselves in such a way that you would get to shank them freely or for absurd amounts of damage and for sure they would never let you walk to their back. It just feels so gamey and fiddley. I would rather give some kind of advantage to players if they completely overwhelm an attacker.

MYFAROG's pretty fun, and the guy that made it is a barrel of laughs.

>I am really scared of looking into Burning Wheel because I heard that it was really crunchy and complicated.

You heard right. It's probably one of the most crunchy RPG systems.

But the crunch is different from GURPS where you have 1000 little rules that only come up in very specific circumstances (grappling, building vehicles, etc.). The big problem with Burning Wheel is that all of the rules and mechanics interact with each other. If you mess one thing up, the whole system slowly starts breaking apart and you might not even realize it until your PCs are dead or unkillable or worse.

>My players don't know English so I have to do all the reading and explaining.

You're fucked. The system just doesn't really work unless everyone has a very solid grasp on the rules. It's not like D&D or Apocalypse world where you can hand someone a character and teach the rules as you go along.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

I will check the other suggestions but ultimately it looks like I am going to go with Fantasy Craft but homebrew the shit out of it.

Any particular reason why you want to avoid GURPS? Memes aside, it's a system that generally works well for gritty, lethal, low magic games.

Pic not related.

I find it really bothersome to use. First, you need to find all the splatbooks you want to use, then you need to comb all of the books for the parts you want to use, then you need to combine all the parts you selective to create a wholesome working system, then you need to explain all the rules to your players.

Maybe I am an asshat but this feels like it is going to take a really long time of preparing which I want to avoid. Plus I am not a big fan of generic systems as I think they are shallow because of the scope they cover.

Might as well post this too, since I'm sure ya'll appreciate the Warhammer 'round these parts.

Those are fair criticisms. But running GURPS is still far easier than trying to homebrew some system that was never designed to be modified. It's also pretty rare that you need to use more than 1 splatbook for a campaign.

Generic systems tend to work well when you're not asking too much from them. Combat with mundane weapons and normal humans is an ideal case. There's a lot of generic systems (including GURPS) that will work great for GoT-style gritty, brutal swordfights with fun/deadly injuries.

The weakness of generic systems is trying to simulate specific fictional mechanics. Stuff like magic systems for a high-magic world, or vehicle combat for a Star Wars game, or elemental powers for an Avatar The Last Airbender game. Yeah, you can build a spell list using GURPS Thaumaturgy, an X-wing using GURPS vehicle rules, and a firebender using GURPS Supers, but none of them will work quite right, and it's gonna be a pain in the ass for your players.

So, if you're serious about "low-magic", then I would definitely consider using a generic system. It'll work great for mundane combat stuff, and save you a lot of homebrewing time (because you can just pick items/mechanics from a list instead of trying to tweak/create them from scratch).

>my own setting, which is not!Game Of Thrones

After your players come into power, what is their tax policy?

To leave it to their economic adviser, who is not!Jew.

You actually have an answer. GoTfags are literally this autistic

>implying I just didn't ass pulled one to make you think I had one, like for %97 of the questions.