EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What do you bring to commander night aside from your deck and dice? How do you make your play group feel comfy?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hallelujah-its-raining-men/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/an-enchanting-evening-with-the-goddess/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-have-nothing-left-to-give/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Asking the thread at large again to share their favorite commanders, valuable cards, tech, and pet cards, to influence my purchasing decisions.

Playmat, whatever booze I've brewed up if it's not awful, extra sleeves, non-dusty/greasy snacks.

>Thread question
weed and a little alcohol

A binder of draft chaff so user can tear them up when I play uncommander.

>Thread question

weed and booze

>What do you bring to commander night aside from your deck and dice? How do you make your play group feel comfy?
We play commander at my house so I always cook dinner under the condition that I never pay for beer or run out.

Just bought Eddy Markov precon, should I spout lines like "What is a man?" when I cast Eddy from the command zone?

Generally gotta play at my favorite store, I don't have friends that are into magic so I don't get to do things like that

Thinking of rebuilding my Atraxa into "Simic Rampstuffs and Orzhov removal" to get any sense of uniqueness into it, since it's currently the generic "Counters good stuff" deck literally every person has.

What are some neat ramp options/targets enabled by her color combination that are otherwise usually hard to come by for decks without green to ramp?

>Thread ?
Trade binders, sleeves, and a fat pack full of tokens

Anyone mind critiquing my deck? I'm running a Sidar Kondo and Tymna Shadowborn list.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hallelujah-its-raining-men/

Drunk/high EDH is a shit show tho. I've never seen someone inebriated be able to still play coherently.

Does anyone know if tappedout has plans to have unstable? And if not, where would be a good place to upload an un-mander list?

In college I played EDH every Friday night, and I would always show up zoinked on weed, hooch, and/or phenibut (after a long day of Dexedrine). Was able to play just fine. I probably wasn't the only one.

They must not do it very often
Some dude won a SCG tournament on mushrooms

What do I do when my playgroup becomes excessively toxic? Should I mediate and try to solve the problems or should I bail?

>get drunk and high before every single magic game ever
>literally no one has an issue because I'm polite and quiet about it
>420weedman shows up
>misplays everywhere
>myself and the other degenerates pull him aside and talk about his personal habits
>"It's magic, man, why are you taking it so seriously?"
>doesn't understand how to draft, doesn't understand the stack, consistently fucks up his phases, tries to rules lawyer stupid shit
>talk to the owner, get him banned from the shop
It's not stoners that are the issue, it's stupid motherfuckers who think being stoned compensates for being a terrible magic player that are the issue.

Toxic in terms of throwing insults and getting salty over everything or everyone tuning their deck into absolute no-fun stax "over by turn 3" shit just to spite the rest?

mediate, then give up if it doesn't work

what's the specific problem you're having?

Pizza for everyone, because I work at a Little Ceasars and can get their dirt-cheap pizza for even cheaper.

Mostly the second with the first bring the aftermath of every game.

>convincing the owner to throw out a player for being bad at the game
Unless him playing bad somehow hinders you playing the game, he's extremely impolite and toxic or is constantly trying to actively ruleshark people, none of the stuff you mentioned should warrant a ban, especially when the owner also doesn't care if someone visits the store while high.

Suggest everyone to tune shit down or try some new decks, maybe even build the decks together, keep the power level low (or on a level everyone is comfortable with) and just try to convince them that actually playing cards together instead of trying to prevent everyone else from playing cards is sometimes, but only sometimes, actually fun.

My circle of friends also has 2 guys that tuned their deck against each other to the point where one is a hyper-stax Daretti deck and the other a "dead by turn 2" Xenagod deck and nobody in the group gets any enjoyment out of playing against either of those decks, so we just don't play with them if they bring that shit. If it's also just 2 guys in your group that keep fueling the fire you should talk to the others about forcing them to either play something different or masturbate together on their own in duel commander.

user, you don't even know.

>when drafting MM17, immediately opened two packs then passed them in opposite directions
>"accidentally" spilled his library onto the board in the middle of a 4 player EDH game, wound up with another player's Cradle in his library due to similar sleeves
>in a totally separate game, after being milled, it was found he had a griselbrand in his library, and two demonic tutors after he had already been warned once
>consistently that "tap untap" land thing where he fucks with his mana base to magically cast things, until we started physically writing down his manapool for him
>spilled a monster in the middle of a game, completely obliterating a poor guy's alesha deck thank fuck for sideloading double sleeves
>tried to play tedious storm bullshit, fucked it up almost always after 10 minute masturbating turns, asked for rewinds on a regular basis
>did this weird yugioh thing where he chained interactions together and argued you couldn't respond to them because another thing was already on the stack and you missed the trigger, particularly with new players

Really, I could go on and on. In summary, he was a fuck-oblivious stoner and got what he deserved.

The two problem players explicitly built commanders that were banned in duel because they'd "be more powerful". Now we have Derevi Stax ft Stasis and da bois and Tasigur "all the best cards in the colors.dec" locking everything down and griping when we propose tuning everything back a bit.

stop playing with them :^)

I take it back, fuck that guy.

Fuck it. I'm playing pauper now.

but actually user, why is wrong?

Is your local pool of players just that small?

user isn't wrong. In fact I'm taking his advice. There are two major playgroups in my town, and I'm going to join the more chill one.

You have taken ownership of your own fate and happiness, instead of perpetually complaining on the internet. Good job user. You are now more powerful than 90% of the Veeky Forums population.

Thank you for helping me on this journey of self discovery user.

How much do you customise your gaming accessories (playmat, sleeves, deckbox, tokend etc) based on your commander?

I try to use a color present in the commander's identity for sleeves but stick to solid colors for now until I cave in and get some anime sleeves. Would love to have a fitting mat and box for each one, but taking the right mat with me is way too much of a hassle, not to mention the difficulty of finding a mat/box with a proper motive for the deck. Just using the commander's own art for anything is shit taste and makes people look like cliché fanboys.

Reposting my Pharika deck for input.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/an-enchanting-evening-with-the-goddess/

5 key points of synergy I'm building around
>field sweeps
>maintaining devotion/general field presence through field sweeps
>enchantress
>playing disposable creatures I can turn into deathtouch snakes
>using death touch

Any help is appreciated!

fuck getting a separate playmat for each commander, that's so much effort for literally zero benefit. even deckboxes are a bit much, i just keep all my 2 decks in fat pack boxes with their corresponding tokens/counters/etc.

would you accept it at your table?

all the host/augment cards seem like reasonable magic cards with only token randomized elements and no manual dexterity required

My only "pet card" is an 8th edition blood moon I got as a gift from my gf. It was close to $50 when she gave it to me, making it first card I owned that was worth more than like $5.
It's suffering because it has a lot of sentimental value, but also draws infinite hate no matter the circumstance

>1-3
Chainer
>4-6
Horobi
>7-9
Toshiro
>0
Convince my group to let me build Griselbrand

Kek, wasn't that post like 10 days ago?

cool idea user, ill probably steal this for later. my advice would be to try and go for a control build in order to get creatures in the yard, because 2-for-1ing yourself just to get a snakechantment is just not a great play.

also add blightcaster maybe?

unmander is funmander

Nope.

If you can play that, I can fling that infinity guy, run blacker lotus, gleemax, and earl of squirrel.

feldon is my husbando

I personally made pic related playmat, which I recognize isn't actually impressive but keep in mind I have no experience using any graphic design software, so it took me hours.

If you've never read the lore story for Feldon of the Third Path, I recommend it.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27

I really wish I could find good quality (at least Ultra Pro quality or better) sleeves with interesting backs. Not anime tiddes, but swirling geometric shapes and abstract designs.

The next level of customization for me will be triple sleeving. It'll take a while before I get there though since finding a box that can fit that shit almost requires custom-made.

the host/augment mechanic isn't particularly degenerate in the way "LOL I have infinite something" tho. I'm pretty sure the worst thing you can do is build your own almost scarecrow king for 9 mana.

whats wrong with earl of squirrel? Or is it a "..and jay walking" jab?

I try and make the sleeves match symbolically rather than just their color identity. Like Ezuri is brown because the color of the earth and trees which elves have affinity with. Newzuri is jet-black because phyrexian oil. That kind of stuff.
If I ever get good enough, I'll customize satin towers with paint, but that'll probably be a while off.

I have yet to find any deck degenerate enough to make me break out my anime sleeves.

Doesn't matter user, if you're allowed to run X uncard, I'm allowed to run Y uncards. The only reason for this is to prevent format degeneracy.

>whats wrong with earl of squirrel?
Think about it like this: what's going to happen if I run that in ghave with a bunch of token doublers, or slap it in xenagos with a bunch of token doublers and damage doublers?

It's super degenerate, but in a subtle way.

you can run better than earl of squirrel that is cheaper/better in its spot. Besides doesn't that show more about how degenerate ghave or xenagos is rather than EOS?

>horobi

Duh. You gotta make a very same-y Commander interesting somehow, right?

FINE you're going to make me use math to explain it.

>earl of squirrel swings, it makes 4 1/1 tokens with a buff, effectively making 2/2 tokens
>if earl of squirrel swings again, and all the tokens swing as well, that's a total of 16 damage from two attacks without buffs, leaving you with 8 2/2 tokens
>if earl of squirrel has double strike or a token doubler, or a damage doubler, it makes 8 2/2 tokens on the first attack, meaning 24 damage over two turns with the tokens
>if earl of squirrel has any of the two above, it makes 16 2/2 tokens, or 32 2/2 squirrel tokens with any of the three
>if you can double earl of squirrel's attack, and give it double strike, with a token doubler, and a damage doubler, a single swing will make 64 2/2 tokens
>since every token is now a squirrel, that buff applies to all saprolings ghave makes
>if you slap rancor on the stupid thing, and give it double strike, that's 14 2/2 squirrel tokens for as low as 4 additional mana

And I could go on and on, but the point is it's really silly. Kalonian hydra is silly, but Earl of Squirrel making tokens just takes it to another level because you can fling it, you can use chandra's ignition, or you can have it fight another creature to still make the tokens.

>staples
command tower, reliquary tower, sol ring, skullclamp, lightning greaves, fellwar stone, mind stone, thought vessel, prismatic lens, signets, solemn simulacrum, viscera seer, rhystic study, cyclonic rift, swords to plowshares, path to exile, karmic guide, cultivate, kodama's reach, explosive vegetation, skyshroud claim, sakura tribe elder, oracle of mul-daya, courser of kruphix, eternal witness

that's my list of cards which are auto-includes in a given color. i basically need a good reason not to play these cards, otherwise they go into a deck, color allowing.

>pet cards
treasonous ogre for sure. also street wraith. elvish aberration also ends up in a lot of my decks somehow.

>iconic masters
now is a good time to snag lotus cobras. i just bought one for 4 dollars and they usually run around 10. all of the praetors are going at good rates too. consecrated sphrinx, kiki-jiki, yosei, kukusho, austere command, cryptic command, genesis wave, serra ascendant. those are all great edh cards.

Thanks to IMA, I'm almost certainly getting a copy or two of Norn and a Sheoldred, a lotus cobra or two is a smart grab, the commands, g-wave, and serra too... got most of those former items in droves but I can always use more green ramp cards and paths

I really should be buying the cheaper but still decent lands + shit like the signets, but that feels so uninteresting

I really liked the Card, but after reading that feelsbadman.

stocking up on fetches and duals is probably the best thing you can do overall. i also run ancient tomb in basically every deck.

Your logic does not hold. Otherwise there wouldnt be a ban list. If there are unreasonable cards from "standard" / "regular" sets, then there are likely some "reasonable" card in "irregular" sets.

I'm not saying that all the "un" cards should be allowed in regular play. But dont try to equate using a single card in an un set to any other. There can be exceptions to the rules, just as there currently are. Allowing someone to use one "un" card does not equate to allowing everyone to use any "un" cards.

The point is, I don't want to deal with uncommanders or undecks, and if I do have to deal with them, I'm going to run incredibly autistic nonsense to deter people from playing them consistently.

Talk to your playgroup, if they're cool whatever man, but I'm not cool because a fuckton of special snowflakes are going to try this shit, and I'm not going to let them entrench themselves in my playgroup.

"It's Commander so it doesn't matter" is the pinnacle of "Not an argument"

If it didn't matter I should be able to run original Moxen, Black Lotus, Biorhythm, etc.

If the majority wants to play Un decks dont ruin their fun by playing stupid shit out of spite. Just dont play. its not that hard. Like wise if a majority doesnt want Un EDH decks tell them, no one is forcing you to play with them. Just being an asshole because you dont like something is childish.

No, the sociopath kept barging into the spoiler threads telling anyone who'd listen about his "policy".

Shaharazad with dupe effects

>It's super degenerate, but in a subtle way.

It's really not though. It's literally just an appropriately costed and made Living Hive, a card that no one runs because it costs a shitton of mana AND has to connect.

Earl of squirrel is still worse than avenger or some of the other good token producers.

That being said, fuck playing with uncards. Fun be damned, this isn't an RPG, the rules are actually important and you can't make them up as you go, and screw cherry picking

I wound up having 4 mats and 4 decks out of a dozen I tend to use. each mat fits a commander particular pretty well, and it'd bug me if my sleeves didn't match my mat.
>Hope of Ghirapur
custom mat of an orange kite flying over ulamog wastes, eclipse orange sleeves
>Bruna, Fading
Angelic mat distributed in remembrance of a really great-hearted guy who helped new players become better versed, was known for his fanatical devotion to angels, white sleeves
>Phenax
"Stuffed Animals" (by Davey Cadaver) mat, black sleeves
>Ertai, Corrupted
Brown / gold mat sporting a simple maze pattern. I actually need to swap out for gold sleeves.

I didn't really purchase any mat for any particular commander besides Hope, but it ended up falling in place pretty keenly anyway.

No. Jumblemorph opens far, far too many doors considering that you'll need a significant selection of silver-bordered cards just to make him go. While I'm opposed to even allowing a single silver bordered card and would put my foot down absolutely if facing Frankie Peanuts or Spike, I could see allowing an un-commander if it's literally the only silver border in the deck and isn't too crazy. Grusilda or The Big Idea, perhaps. Baron von Count or Mary O'Kill would be a little sketchier. I might even consider Phoebe or Calcutron on a good day, though I would be loathe to accept any of them

But not Jumblemorph (Or X or Buzzbark for different reasons)

That autismo is gonna get what's coming to him one day and boy howdy do I wish I could be at the LGS he goes to when he inevitably gets fucking cuffed and cries like a stuck pig as it happens.

It happened at my LGS once and it was hilarious

>I don't like thing, and I have a solution to deal with it, but if your group likes thing, have fun doing whatever you want
>hurrr just don't play, you're being an asshole the exact same way I'm being an asshole and shouldn't ruin my specific fun
Just wait user. Every single playgroup is going to have at least one special snowflake who decides to do this shit, and instead of specifically arguing the merits of silver boarder cards vs black boarder cards, I'm just going to play silver boarder cards as well. I'd much rather spikes trying to optimize uncommanders than slap-dash mcgee crying about how he wants to do this totally unique thing.

Probably better image

Asking your group if everyone wants to build an un-mander instead of asking if you can bring your silver border deck to a black border game is a far more winning approach, imo.

>I'd much rather spikes trying to optimize uncommanders than slap-dash mcgee crying about how he wants to do this totally unique thing.

It's not just about unmanders though, it's about unrules. You may not care about somebody running Mary okill or X, but I certainly care about someone using a black bordered card to put shit I own into opponents hands because we silver now.

can karakas hit a gideon planeswalker if he becomes a creature with his ability?

It doesn't matter if a silver card deserves to be played with a black card. The point is you need to discuss with your group. if its semi regulars at your LGS just join a different group. If its your friends then sit down and talk with the group. COMMUNICATION is key with most social interactions. Don't be the guy who refuses to discuss and just acts like a prick just because you can.

Karakas is banned my friend, but yes

Jumblemorph absolutely does require more silver boarder cards. My thought process is simply that every augment and host card is exceedingly reasonable. They provide weird, versatile etb effects, and make a sorta compelling flicker deck possible.

I want the deck because the whole thing looks like something that could have been printed in an ordinary set, albeit with an uncommonly light-hearted tone. Creature fusion exists, as do bestow creatures, and creatures with triggers upon certain etb related conditions.

yeah julius and all of the augment+host cards are pretty reasonable aside from dice rolling.

If I knew you personally, as part of my playgroup, and was DAMN sure that it wouldn't be abused, I might consider it but.... argh. My default stance is "No Silver borders. Not now, not ever" and I'd like to hold to it but if I'm being honest I'd accommodate someone in my regular playgroup if they were reasonable and well reasoned, even if I'd make a stand at LGS and either insist silver border commander play something else or I'll bow out. My main playgroup is family though

Quick reminder to everyone looking to play silver border: stop by your LGS during black Friday and pick up some cheap, repulsive sleeves "unique" to you in your playgroup. reminded me, you guys may well end up having your cards in every zone of everyone else, so leave no room for error when collecting your cards after a game.

That's fair, user. I think I might build it, but I'll definitely be asking first in as nonpushy a way as possible.

...Your play group is literally family?

You think the dice rolling is an unreasonable mechanic? Even in the context that coin flipping exists? I agree it's definitely on the weirder side.

Ur-dragon is so gay, forces everyone to run flying creatures or get wiped out

>blightcaster
oh, thank you for bringing me to orgasm user, that was very kind of you

so what tribal shenanigans are really good in the context of having just 1 or 2 creatures of the chosen type? One-ofs of things like pic related seems insane.

Why

Akroma's Memorial my man

It's a hard counter to Ur-Dragon

Idk what to tell you user.

You have so many tools to deal with this problem.

Frankly, you can get away with no fliers, if you're confident enough in your removal/counter magic. There's also about a billion ways to prevent attacks, damage, etc. Hell, the reach keyword called.

What's the deck you're trying to fit to handle the dragon menace? I'm sure there's very reasonable ways to handle the problem without going significantly out of your way.

Post your list. I'm curious as to how much artifact shenanigans you run. I want to build Feldon, but have no real clear way on how to start because I think his edhrec is plagued with precon syndrome.

It's basically a control deck. Not a huge amount of punch, but it has a lot of versatile answers. Repeatedly using zealous conscripts and saccing what I steal does a lot of work. I also just tweaked it a bit, and looking to tweak a little more(anger seems amazing with all the loot). I'm also 90% sure that ruination is an auto-include, but my old play group would have salted out of this mortal coil.

I WILL say, the precon has many great cards for Feldon. But my building was entirely separate, without consulting the list.

I would recommend putting in Illusionist Bracers and Thousand Year Elixir/Magewright Stone. They'll really increase how many creatures you can steal.

>Illusionist Bracers
I actually did have em in. It's a REEEEEEEEAL clunker, and my ramp is inconsistent at best. Nice, to be sure, but it edges into win-more.

TYE is something that has been on my radar, though. You're not wrong, and the haste is a VERY big deal. I don't love that it has basically no application when Feldon ain't in play, but so is life.

cool it's that time of night where i respond to myself, good show

You should give consideration to Hanweir Battlements. A haste-granting land that comes in untapped can be very useful for very little opportunity cost, and it's dirt cheap.

Really? In my experience Illusionist Bracer have done a shit ton of work. I've had 2 Tyrant of Discord basically act like a Wrath effect between the two of them, not to mention other fun stuff like getting off 24 damage from Scuttling Doom Engine. Why do you find it clunky?

Very expensive for mana. 3 to equip is a beating, particularly when it doesnt speed him up at all or protect him. You just invest 5 mana and hope to do stuff next turn. He always got blown out by then; the investment just begs them to 2 for 1 u. They're good if you got hella mana and protection/speed, in which case you're probably already ahead.

I JUST WANT CONSECRATED SPHINX FUCK GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!

Yeah, with Horobi out it's Machinegun Death, never even need to play the damned thing, you can literally just keep killing shit for B for the rest of the game unless someone makes you pitch your hand.

>didn't just give him changeling
gay as shit

He's not flavorfully a changeling.
You might as well complain that Chub Toad doesn't have bushido.

>my friends want to run Unstable as our next draft
>I'd much prefer Iconic Masters because I really want some of the cards from it and think it'd be worthwhile

I like Un-drafts but one guy in our group hates losing and I think an Undraft would make him annoyed at losing in a weird way, he usually gets really sad when his master plan is disrupted.

>didn't just give chub toad bushido
gay as shit

He's not flavorfully a samurai.
You might as well complain that Ghostfire doesn't have devoid.

Ghostfire should have devoid.

I bring my can do attitude and my pocket full of excuses.

It's not flavorfully an Eldrazi spell.
You might as well complain that Murk Dwellers doesn't have Frenzy.