>Trove (yes, Xanathar PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Discord
discord.gg/HzAfUGt

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/What needs fixing, houseruling, or altering from XGE?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2017/11/17/catnap-spell-are-elves-unable-to-be-affected-by-it-even-willingly/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A light buff for Samurai or Arcane Archer would be good. Maaaybe slight tweaks for War Wizard.

Storm herald barb 3rd level aura's are borderline useless

Answering my own question:
>Healing Spirit is banned
>Hexblade is banned (I don't like the fluff and am just going to use the Hex Warrior feature for pact of the blade, leaving the rest alone)
>Arcane Archer's shots are Int mod/short rest
>Redemption Pally gets their unarmored feature from UA back
>Samurai needs a buff to their temp HP
>SteelWindStrike becomes 4d10 or 5d10, a 4th-level spell so EK and AT can use it, and it uses a melee weapon attack instead

I like all of these aside from Redemtion Pally's AC. I think a more appropriate option is making Mage Armour one of their extended spells.

No other Paladin gets a level 3 ability, I really don't feel they should break the mold for Redemption to the degree of giving them the best armour in the game while ass naked on a class that's already really strong. Maybe even giving back that armour but making it 13+DEX would be reasonable, but 16+DEX is retarded.

For some reason Find Greater Steed doesn't have a telepathic link like Find Steed does. Just seems like an oversight to me.

Ban 2 level dips into hexblade

Whats the general feeling about warwizard? Does the level 2 ability drop off at later levels?

>Just seems like an oversight to me.
"It was an oversight" seems to be XGE's motto

As a DM, if there isn't a whole lot of difference between fiends in your campaign, would you allow the Summon Demon spells from Xanathar's also conjure devils and other fiends?

OotA, SKT, or CoS for a group of newbies wrapping up LMoP?

Redemption Paladin's Armor of Peace should be 13+CHA, because walking into conflict unarmored and unshielded should be an act of faith and self-confidence.

What I miss most is Warrior of Reconciliation, being able to charm an enemy if you bring them to 0 with a simple bludgeoning weapon. It finally made slings viable.

To be expected of a Beholder.

Hexblade is fucking dumb. Should have just rolled Hexblade's most interesting abilities into Raven Queen, instead of the opposite.

Nah it's pretty good. It's like a more appropriate Bladesinger. However I'd still consider dipping or something for armour proficiency if you want to be a real front-line Wizard.

One thing of note is they actually work pretty well with Tenser's Tranformation. They get +2 AC and all Saves while in mega mode, plus they can boost their AC or concentration as a reaction.

That's unbalanced as fuck, it's already high power to combining CHA classes. Now all that Warlock/Paladin crap could be using CHA for attacks, damage, spells, AC and all while having the best class features.

The armour shouldn't have existed to begin with. Nothing in the oath involves not wearing armour, it's about trying the other options and using combat as a last resort, that doesn't mean you should be a dumbass who runs into battle unarmoured.

They should've kept Tranquillity Monk for that honestly, it was cool.

How would you guys buff samurai

I'd probably make Fighting Spirit's advantage last until the start of your next turn and recover on short rests.

>They should've kept Tranquillity Monk

Ugh. I bet you also liked Stone Sorcerer.

Actually I thought Stone Sorcerer and Hexblade are both terrible and should've been killed with hellfire. Tranquility Monk would've been nice if they changed it a bit, but Healer Monk was a cool idea at least.

>all these people banning hexblades
And yet you still let people play wizards.

>le wizard maymay
I'm honestly more worried about people who pick Lore Bard or ask for Mystic in a low level game.

So Veeky Forums how much is too much background info?
I wrote up a 2600 word document that features:
>History (300 years)
>Religion
>Politics
>Hostiles
>Mission brief (before the game started they've been employed by the emperor)
>Known "Main Threats"
>Towns
>Places of Interest
>A map (pic related)
I have a revolving cast of about 10 players and half love it, a third only skimmed it and a couple completely hate it.

What do you think? Too much (too little)? Do you write background and if so, how much?

Maybe change the 'healing hands' feature for something else, because that was the thing that turned a lot of people off.
Or have it so that during a short rest you can choose a party member and they get a bonus of your Wis mod to each Hit Die they spend for healing. Still palpable but without encroaching on Lay On Hands, and you maintain that iconic Sifu healing massage imagery.

In my eyes have two choices, ban a lot of specific archetypes and classes or ban multiclassing completely.

Personally I decided on multiclassing because I feel like a at this point there's enough class options that no one's going to get bored before the next splat book comes out.

Mystic, the class itself, is fine and frankly needs late game buffs, since it stops scaling abruptly. Specific disciplines are fucked, with Nomadic Mind being the worst designed thing for 5e since PHB BM Ranger, and the archetypes are just terrible, and need total reworks. Only the Soul Knife is any good at making a place for itself.

The Forest of Misery sounds like a real shithole.

I would suggest you also make a more essential and succinct 'digest' way of presenting it to your players for the ones who aren't into the more expansive writeup.

You have no idea.

I agree that the base class and how they want disiplines work are fine. You're right in that the archetypes are complete trash that are either pathetically weak or hilariously strong, same as disciplines.

They really need to completely scrap a lot and redo it, also I feel like they need to either remove focuses, make focuses work like cantrips or nerf a lot of them. Quite simply being able to do things like at-will +5 to skills, +5 reach and stuff is not going to work as an official class.

After running 2 mystics, going in different directions for playtesting, i think i'd recommend
>Ban nomadic mind entirely, the focus is broken and the rest is shit
>1 archetypal discipline
>that discipline can only be swapped out for another of your archetype
>10 minute focus switch, they eat up the same time as rituals that way
>make psi limit per turn, but increase psi limit later into the class. stops the retard nova, but lets you stack more abilities later on

It wouldn't fix everything, but i'd like to see how it plays from there.

For your players, all you need to snag their ear for is:
>elevator pitch for the setting (why they're there, where they are, what they should expect)
>necessary details that would impact character creation (IE homebrew rules)

Everything else (gods, towns, locations, history) is reserved for a setting document the players can ask for. Nobody in their right mind will sit through an hour explanation of the third town down the river unless it's pertinent in some way other than "it's there".

I feel like conq needs a rework.
as it is, its just so fucking boring...

I bet it's really insertpun

I never told them that it was important to read - they could if they wanted to. I start every session with a two minute speech that summaries it for new characters and reminds returning characters.
The reason that the 2-3 people dislike it is that they don't want thing to be explicitly written down. Instead they want everything to be fluid and changeable as the story progresses.

I just do not understand people who multiclass for gamey reasons. Why not just play a video game at that point.

Not that multiclassing in general is bad. I've certainly done it, when our party had no healing whatsoever and I liked the fluff of a monk/cleric. But most of what I see is trying to make. 3.5 game breaking character or just plain tom foolery

Just wanted to share a slightly comical interaction in our recent game.

We have a CG Half-Drow elf Bard, happy-go-lucky fellow travelling the road while writing a book telling the tale of his adventures.

We have a LE Half-Drow elf Warlock, a sombre and reserved woman who acts as the enforcer thrall to a particularly powerful Beholder.

They get on very well with everyone else, but are always berrating eachother "You can't trust those half-breed mongrels.".

Another running joke is that they likely to be siblings.
"I never met my father, I was told he had elegant black hair and sleek facial features, wore shining armour and wielded a gleaming sword."
"Who cares about that? I never met my father either, but my mother always spoke about his sleek black hair and elegant facial features, who wore gleaming armour and carried a shining sword."

Other than Illmater or Lathlander, what are some good choices for a Life Cleric in FR?

What digital resources do you personally make use of? I'm not going to buy my books a second time, so Beyond's a no-go (goyim.) Pdf copies are a start, but are there still decent alternatives for spell lists/character trackers/etc.?

Yondallah.

Nerull and just play it as "No no, you're not ripe enough yet."

This is cute. I like seeing relationships between specific characters form.

>Yondallah
Serve the goddess of shortstacks? I wonder what the perks would be like

Split the temp HP and attack advantage parts of Fighting Spirit into two features, give the temp HP a bit more flexibility and some party utility.
Something like:

FIGHTING SPIRIT
Starting at 3rd level, your intensity in battle can bolster your fortitude or rally your nearby allies. As a bonus action on your turn, you can draw from a reserve pool of 25 temporary hit points. You choose to grant to yourself or an adjacent ally within 5' an amount of temporary hit points of your choosing, from 1 to 15 hit points. The temporary hit points reflect your heightened adrenaline in a fight, this feature can only be used in combat and any temporary hit points granted through this feature are lost at the end of combat.

Your pool of applicable maximum temporary hit points increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 50 total at 10th level and 75 total at 15th level. You can use this feature as long as you have temporary hit points in reserve. You regain half of the spent temporary hit points when you finish a short rest, and you regain all expended temporary hit points when you finish a long rest.

HISSATSU
Starting at 3rd level, your focus in combat can hone your strikes with deadly accuracy. As a bonus action on your current turn before you make any attacks, you can give yourself advantage on weapon attack rolls until the end of the current turn.

You can use this feature three times, you regain one use when you finish a short rest, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

TIRELESS SPIRIT
Starting at 10th level, when you roll initiative and have no uses of Hissatsu remaining, you regain one use.
Additionally at 10th level, when you roll initiative and have fewer than 20 temporary hit points of Fighting Spirit remaining, you regain the difference to have 20 hit points.

raven queen belongs in the trash4e

Yes it does you dick steed. Second sentence of second paragraph

SKT probably transitions easiest

Whats even "wrong" with hexblade?

Astranauta 5e

Is Arcane Archer as published dead in the water? Would new or modified arrows be a decent option (along side the much often proposed more shots or Int mod/short rest)? Would inspiring ideas like arrows that chain two enemies together mean much?
Does the "I totally missed on purpose to hit that guy 60 feet away" curved shot feature bring much to the table?

>Buff storm herald 3rd level, maybe just double the numbers (or die in the case of Sea)?
>Increase arcane archer number of shots (maybe equal to INT mod like that one guy was suggesting), maybe give back +1 arrows too?
>Make samurai short rest based or something, maybe have their temp HP progress faster
>At least give drunk monks proficiency in improvised weapons, make them count as monk weapons
>Nerf hexblade's curse, maybe just make it one free Hex per short rest?

That's some of the big things off the top of my head.

Yeah, sure.

Obviously biased since it's my own post, but to add onto Veeky Forums changes after deliberation:
I kind of disagree. They're free-action damage or temporary HP, every round for rage. That's pretty solid consistent chip damage. A level 3 sea storm barb is guaranteed at least a point of damage every round of rage, which is a reliable bonus. They're not flashy, but they're a great slow burn IMHO.
I miss the unarmored defense as well, and I think has the right idea. But is right too, 13+main stat AC is a bit much. Maybe 11 or 12+CHA, and allow them to still use shields?
>How would you guys buff samurai
I wasn't sure, but I like 's idea. Having Fighting Spirit be a long rest ability is dumb.
I worry about storm barbs putting out _too_ much AoE damage with that, but I'd have to playtest it and see.
I would give back +1 arrows for sure. +0 magic arrows at 3, +1 at 7.
>At least give drunk monks proficiency in improvised weapons, make them count as monk weapons
Brilliant.

>I kind of disagree. They're free-action damage or temporary HP, every round for rage.
No, they are not, it's a bonus action every turn to activate, at level 3 the numbers are okay, but at level 20, look at that shit, 6 fire damage? FIRE DAMAGE, at level fucking TWENTY.

Reminder that Storm Herald auras require a bonus action every single turn to take effect.

What's a level 20 Fighter doing there? 4th extra attack is 22 more damage per turn with GWM, a Storm Barbarian has to hit 4 people to equal that sure, but even if they hit 2 or 3 then it's still damage that isn't going to miss.

I was pretty fucking pissed about it, but when you do the math it actually shows up better then it looks as long as you can hit 2-3 creatures. Against single targets it's pretty lame however.

A player of mine was playing the UA Storm Herald (Sea) til XGE, we talked about what to fo with the nerf. We agreed on not liking an aura that requires a Bonus Action to trigger, especially since it's now 1d6 with a save for half; it seems restrictive compared to other 3rd level abilities.

(Never did come up with a good answer, basically just gave him another archetype's +1d6 on hit during rage and made the damage lightning.)

I'd also like to point out, that that 6 fire damage, again gained at level 20, cannot one-shot your average goblin (7hp)

It's strong enough and also flavorful and fun. Curving shot is a great tool that makes it a fantastic choice from 7th onward. It's just not as front-loaded as Battle Master is all.

>a Storm Barbarian has to hit 4 people to equal that sure
four monsters without fire resistance/immunity.

Jesus, I missed that they were a bonus action to trigger every turn. That's a pretty big blow.

But is it too terrible? Without shield master a barbarian isn't going to be doing much with their bonus actions, yeah? (I could be wrong, I'm very tired)
>it's still damage that isn't going to miss.
My thinking as well, it's guaranteed damage. Pretty shit damage for fire, as tells us.

What are /5eg/'s thoughts between making it a free action/passive buff, or doubling the damage/temp HP?

Hexblade's Curse is strong as fuck and then on top of that Hex Warrior nets you a bunch of very nice proficiencies AND CHA weapons. Even forgetting the multiclass shenanigans that it enables, it's insanely stronger than other patrons for combat, even if you're just playing an EB turret.

I decided not to use the book for my group. I have issues with too many subclasses (hexblade, forge domain, zealot path, kensei, swords college, and divine soul) and in the case of the other subclasses, I don't allow some of those classes at my table to begin with so there's no point in making my players buy the book for rehashed SCAG and EEPC content.

Overall I'm really disappointed with Wizards. I play DnD because I'm sick of the powercreep content bloat of 3.5 but now they are just doing the same for 5e.

AA is hugely frontloaded. two arcane shots per short rest at 3 is very good, compared to battlemaster whose maneuvers are much weaker. but the AA doesnt get any more uses of arcane shot until fucking level 15, while bm gets more superiority dice regularly

>But is it too terrible? Without shield master a barbarian isn't going to be doing much with their bonus actions, yeah? (I could be wrong, I'm very tired)
GWM and/or PAM. I'd much rather use my bonus action to deal 1d4+11 or (21) plus weapon properties than 6 fucking fire damage.

>I play DnD because I'm sick of the powercreep content bloat of 3.5 but now they are just doing the same for 5e.
It's the first splat. 5e has been out for more than THREE YEARS and this is the first splat. Do you even read what you type before you post?

Elves and Half-Elves are immune to CATNAP.

Ah, that's true.

Stop considering it a source of damage, and instead realize that it was, and still should be a passive buff. Doing 6 dpr is better than increasing your Rage bonus by 3, since it can't miss. The biggest benefit it has is forcing redundant enemy concentration checks.

some may argue SCAG is a splat, but that doesn't make that guy any less retarded.

Hm, actually doing the math you're not wrong. It looks better then I thought.

Comparing it to Zealot Barbarian's average damage at all the it increases looks nice.

Level 3: Zealot 4.5/Storm has to hit 3 to do better
Level 5: Zealot 5.5/Storm has to hit 2
Level 10: Zealot 8.5/Storm has to hit 3
Level 15: Zealot 10.5/Storm has to hit 3
Level 20: Zealot 13.5/Storm has to hit 3

Alright, so if you hit two then the damage is really close but in Zealot's favor, if you can hit 3 then the damage is strongly in Storm's favor. It's clearly based around fighting lots of enemies compared to single target damage, which makes it weaker then other options in general. Still it's close enough that it's playable.

How is Volo's not a splat, even assuming you disregard SCAG for some reason?

Catnap doesn't use the word sleep anywhere in its description.

Huh. Maybe not so bad after all, then.

Honestly I think it looks pretty good, obviously it doesn't shine in boss fights but most of the time real threats are big groups of enemies.

I'd probably go for Sword and Board quite simply because you want to throw yourself near as many enemies as possible while keeping allies out the way.

a big problem is making sure you have that many bad guys in your aura, Zealot is great because you can basically guarantee to always have one fucker in face-punching distance, but storm herald, shit, you may not even necessarily have three fuckers on the map, especially after the wizard takes his turn. Tundra is even worse, since ALLIES need to be within 10ft of you, which is typically exactly where half the party isn't.

Obviously it doesn't shine against a single target and I wouldn't even consider it if your DM is the type who thinks every fight needs to be party vs. his one mega OC villain.

I'm not saying it's better then Zealot, because it's not, but Zealot is one of the strongest Barbarians. Storm is a perfectly okay option, it's not great but still perfectly usable.

Zealot's ability also has the potential to Crit

I saw an item in, I believe, unearthed arcana, and I wish to make a character around it. An elephant cavalier using a magical saddle that, I believe, forces disadvantage on all attacks against the mount.

Is this possible or am I just talking out my flaccid ass?

On the other hand, literal friendly fire is pretty awkward

ah yes, mustn't forget that Desert Aura hits all other creatures, friend and foe alike.

Yeeeeah, you definitely want to make sure people are cool about it or grab mobile so you can try to stay out their way. On the bright side they get resistance to the damage while you're raging eventually.

Neither does the spell "Sleep."

provided you ignore the title and the two times they say "sleeper"

ToA.

If you make Fighting Spirit short rest, they'll need a new 10th level ability. Not saying you shouldn't, but that's something you have to think about.

Why is the sea dying?

The only thing I can think to add would be more sources of fear so you can actually get some use out of that aura. Maybe put Cause Fear as a domain spell. Or maybe see if you can convince your DM to allow you to use Command to inflict fear ("Cower" perhaps).

sageadvice.eu/2017/11/17/catnap-spell-are-elves-unable-to-be-affected-by-it-even-willingly/

>Why is the sea dying?
between the bastion of the dead and those filthy exiles, why wouldn't it be dying?

People have been hoping for an expansion to the core game for a while now, it's really the right time for XGE.

>hexblade, forge domain, zealot path, kensei, swords college, and divine soul
These are fun subclasses.

>I play DnD because I'm sick of the powercreep content bloat of 3.5 but now they are just doing the same for 5e.
The 5e devs are still putting out material at a glacial pace, and they playtest that material. In fact a lot of the UA material received nerfs.

Do you actually understand what you're blathering about?

The sea has no relation to any of that, why would it even care. It's the fucking sea.

Planning on doing 3 levels in Arcane Trickster and 3 levels in Sword Bard. Probably redundant by some standards, but I will be filthy with cantrips. Free feels good.

Do you hate fun, autistic neckbeard?

Got a magical item for our Monk, which is a better item.

+2 to hit and damage with unarmed strikes.
When you spend a Ki point to flurry of blows, make three additional attacks instead. (Total 5 attacks.)

+2 to hit and damage with unarmed strikes.
You may spend 4 Ki points when you use flury of blows feature, if you do make five additional attacks instead, before each of these attacks, you may teleport 15ft. (Total 7 attacks)

Sleep is a "magical slumber" and is forcefully applied against one's hit points. Elves have natural resistance to this effect.

Catnap only works on willing people and knocks them unconscious ("peacefully"), so technically all races are immune to Catnap unless they want to take a nap.
In fact, since Elves don't really sleep but instead "meditate", they are very much vulnerable to Catnap as it will knock them the fuck out.

I'm going to refluff catnap as giving people helpful, magical concussions instead of sleep I guess

>What needs fixing, houseruling, or altering from XGE?

Well since the spells are explicitely stated to be up to the DM to introduce to a campaign the way he sees fit, not a whole lot. A whackload of the spells are just shitjack due to a variety of reasons such as poor wording, poor design, or blatent oversight, but since they aren't in PC spell lists until the DM clears it, it's not a problem.

Like, there are several magic items from the DMG that break everything, but since PCs don't choose when they get those, it's not a problem.

Other things to fix:
-Stuff already been lined up to be corrected in Errata like Arcane Archer

>Fortress of the Damned
>Dying Sea
>Forest of Misery
>Ruins of the Forgotten
>City of the Exiled
>Bastion of the Dead
Imagine being a commoner in this setting and saying all those ridiculous names.

>You know, I really think that the City of the Exiled might have a job opportunity for me.
>I have to cross the Forest of Misery every time I trade with Ghudar, but the payoff is worth it

First one is gets you more mileage out of your ki points, while the second gives you an expensive nova. I'd say the first is better, although the second would probably still be pretty fun.

>make map based off pre-existing FR location
>copy-paste as much as is available already
>dice roll stuff from the DMG to fill in blanks
>set player's down
>Improvise

go any farther than that and the adventurers will build a bamboo spaceship.

Remember, the world is for the players, and the game is about the Adventurers. The only reason why anything gets a name is because it makes it a convienent way for the Adventurers to refer to something.

>Hexblade
enables multiclassing powergaming for a class that already had issues with that
>Forge domain
encourages players to stack AC
>Zealot
literally can't die after level 15
>Kensei
stupid anime shit
>Swords college
strictly better than valor bard
>Divine soul
why would you ever play a cleric when you can play a cleric AND a sorcerer.

Yes I know what I'm blathering about. I've banned wizards an paladins from my table and all of my players say my game is much more balanced.

ToA. It's sandbox.