/nwg/ - Naval Wargames General

Rolling That Coal Edition

Talk about botes, bote based wargaming and RPGs, and maybe even a certain bote based vidya that tickles our autism in just the right way.

Games, Ospreys and References (Courtesy of /hwg/)
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming

Models and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/LcD16k7s

Rule the Waves
mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pbenyon.plus.com/Uniform/Phot/Index.html
imgur.com/a/5qjGA#iBKglAG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why Standards are so sexy?

They just had some really fine aesthetics.

The standards are like short girls with a Rubenesque shape.

That is one ugly bote.

>at first I was like
>but then I was like

>dat sternwalk
The rear of the ship must've been a pretty unpleasant place when she was underway, I bet all teh admirals hated the tradition that they had their cabin there.

And so far from the Bridge.

Even looks like a Hitler face in the fire a bit if you look at it the right way. Never noticed that before.

>Veeky Forums finds proof that Hitler did indeed use Nazi magic
Yeah, let's nobody panic. Calmly prepare to assault the antarctic and moon bases.

Apparently Brits tried to move officer quarters nearer the bridge & CT, the end result was constant complaining from their officers and so they reverted back to the old arrangement where officers quarters were in the stern.

>move officers closer to the place where they work
>they complain

No one ever claimed that the officers weren't lazy assholes.

Thanks to the guys who recommended me Battlestations: Pacific. Having fun with it. I just wish a game like that would exits, but IN SPACE.

inb4 triggered teebs rush in with claims about 'muh RN officer's spirit'

Glad you're enjoying it. It's a neat game even if the voice work is lulzy at time. Especially the Japanese side.

The best thing is that you can pretty easily tell when the change first happened and when they reverted back to the old arrangement.

I wandered into an antiquariat while waiting for my friend to show up to play 40k, and found a copy of Hara's "Japanse Destroyer Captain". Sweet. It's been on my "to read" list for a long time.

u gibe scan plox

Cheesy voice acting and video games belong together like pineapple and pizza.

Don't you dare insult cheesy voice acting like that, pineapple scum.

>I wonder if wing turrets
>wing turrets
Basically, no.

>7x2 12" main armament
Curious if a hex arrangement (two wing turrets per side) with superfiring fore and aft turrets would have been compact enough to justify the reduced broadside-would have more room for a centralized powerplant, and a far shorter ship=more maneuverable...
Also, looks far better with catwalks amidships

>Sorry, forgot to attach image

If you want make Agincourt somewhat decent while still maintaining >12 broadside of 12-inch guns your best bet would be trying to build a something resembling Conte di Cavour with its superfiring double turrets replaced with triples.

>4x3 superfiring superdreadnought
What, like the standards? I'm trying to indulge whimsy here, not be *reasonable* user! I want an 8x2 12" DAKKAboat, superfiring at both end AND TWO pairs of wing turrets-the barbettes can be the armor for the engineering spaces!

x3 superfiring superdreadnought

Nah, 5 x 3.

>15-gun broadside
BAH gawd

On that note, I never understood where all the WWI-era ships with centerline midship turrets had their boilers and turbines/CSEs: under the magazines?

Generally speaking, you put a magazine under every turret, and the machinery gets split so it fits around the magazines.

Which means lots of steam pipes going through and around magazines.

has anyone played man o war from GW? found a place with sealed sets, looks really neat. anyone got rules?

>monitorposting again
No.

Now now, monitors have never hurt anyone.

It's just that they manage to loook even more ungainly than the Nelsons.

Just started work on patching up a 1/1800 USS California (post-refit) for Naval War.

What ships would you expect working alongside this thicc lady?

BB - Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arkansas, Texas, Mississippi, Colorado, Idaho, West Virginia, Maryland
CB - Alaska, Guam
CA - HMAS Australia, HMAS Shropshire, Louisville, Portland, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Indianapolis,
CL - St. Louis, Cleveland, Columbia, Montpelier, Denver, Columbia, Boise, Phoenix, Birmingham

What are good sources on uniforms from the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries and costumes based on them?

I'm looking for inspiration and character art for NPCs but most of what I find online is kantai or drawings of anime girls wearing a uniform above the belt but then short or pencil skirts below that.

I'm looking for sources on pre digital-camo uniforms and also uniform based costumes that aren't cheesecake or pinup material.

There are quite few books that cover historical military uniforms, /hwg/ might have scans for couple of them in their mediafires.

pbenyon.plus.com/Uniform/Phot/Index.html

Nothing superfiring, but I'll offer you six wing turrets instead. Built after the HMS Dreadnought went into service.

Maybe include the pic while I'm at it. That could be an idea.

And for no particular reason, what's peak pagoda for the IJN, the Fuso as seen a bit above? Something else? In a similar vein, what's the most ridiculous amount of AA per square inch the the USN ever managed?

(And I nearly posted this too without the pic.)

Peak Pagoda probably goes to Nagato, though IIRC we hada diagram by some weebs posted here a few weeks ago that explained how Fuso's mast actually had one more level.

Most AA per square inch might be hard to tell. The USN pretty muhc opened teh flood gates and just handed out 20 mm Oerlikons to everyone by the truckload.

Peak Pagoda, exhibit 2.

Time for PAGODA!?

I for one, welcome the return of our Pagoda overlords.

Did Mutsu go as high as her sister, or is that just Nagato in particular?

Mutsu went higher.

at least parts of her did, for a short period of time

Ah, yes. Third form the right in would be her I think.

Mutsu and Nagato were rebuilt to the same standard before WW2.

Also, their fuckhueg heptapod foremasts were not added during those reconstructions, they had them from the start.
It was one ofthe lessons the IJN drew from Jutland, and they planned to put those masts on the Amagis, Tosas and Kiis.

Now you're just being mean, it was the rear magazine that blew up.

Well, "artists rendition" you know.

Thank you very much.

Was the lesson was "having lots of fire control and range finding capability and redundancy is important"?

>"artists rendition"
inb4 pics of a chinese cartoon version of Mutsu experienceing an "explosion" deep inside her

Yes. And having this gear high up on a mast so you can maybe see shit when you are firing, and maybe even have that shit out of the spray and above some of the haze.

Half the RN battle line had a foremast with a spottign top that was practically useless, which is probably one of the factors why the RN line lost sight of the HSF line at 8000 yards or so.
The reporst claim that the Germans lost sight of the RN line due to the dark northern horizon backlit by all the guns firing, but I can't help noticing that all this RN gunfire failed to actually sink ze Germans.

Combined with the performance of ships like HMS New Zealand, I guess the abilty to see, generate a good range estimate, and then spot the fall of shot to correct you aim was found to be a bit lacking in many designs of the early 1910s.

The Germans actually added rangefinders to most of their ships during the war, though I don't know if that was before or after Jutland.

Pic vaguely related, no rangefinding gear on the mast.

what the HELL is that from

no idea, I first saw it five years ago or so

Not like the bongs really learned that lesson.
>biggest rangefinders on their WW2-era BBs were on the turrets

biggest as in heaviest, biggest as in most powerful, or both?

Biggest as in most base length, which pretty much equals most powerful and heaviest..

The othe big rangefinders were generally on the conning tower, and I think they didn't even have one of the same size in the foremast on all ships.

I actually took an interest in this exact question, because I've always found Nagato's pagoda rather stately while Fuso's makes me want to bleach my eyes.

The reason is that Nagato's 41m mast is actually built into a substantial conning tower, so her mast is only visible from about 15m above the waterline: basically, 26m of pagoda. Two legs of Fuso's original tripod mast were aft of the relatively small conning tower, and so her 40m pagoda starts from just about 11m above the waterline, meaning 29m of pagoda on a hull 14m shorter than Nagato's.

So while Nagato is a little bit taller overall she carries more of her "bulk" lower to the waterline and is proportionally larger, meaning she looks (and in fact WAS) far better balanced.

Thank you for your input user.

where did they store those awnings or tarps suspended above the deck and turret roofs when they weren't in use?

Were they meant to keep the sun off of the crew, the sun off of ship surfaces to make them last longer, to keep rain off, or for some other purpose?

They were usually stored under deck when not in use, though there are a bunch of pics of ships in tropical areas which show them rolled up around parts of their supporting ropework, or partially deployed.

They were there to keep the decks and crews cooler.

That smokestack is kinda qt.

Now I'm imagining it's Jackie Boy telling her "You should have known m'dear, speed is armor."

Damn you to hell for making me want to find a drawfag to make that lewds happen

The internet.

Thanks user. Nowadays it's strange to imagine such large ships not having air conditioning and good circulation such that being out on the weather deck under a tarp is the best place to be on calm days.

Not even that user. It's just hell working out on deck in the tropics, and there's a lot of day to day shipboard activities that have to take place on deck. The Dutch had a destroyer class, Admiralen, that was a British designed ship. They featured painted steel decking, and most were assigned to the Dutch East Indies. The Dutch wound up getting coconut fiber matting and laying it down on every inch of the deck that wasn't a working surface (like around gun or torpedo mounts and the like) just to make it more bearable to be out on deck.

"Shingeki no Fusou"

My goodness.

>and of course I forget to spoonfeed
imgur.com/a/5qjGA#iBKglAG