How do I become the best dungeon master in the world?

How do I become the best dungeon master in the world?

Other urls found in this thread:

guides.grc.usmcu.edu/content_mobile.php?pid=408059&sid=5775642#box_5775642
actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com
youtu.be/ptXXzQ_dXwg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You've gotta Catch then all

I would assume you will have to dedicate your entire life around it ...have fun ? I guess ?
I mean becoming the "Ultimate" Dungeon Master is at least a life goal.

1) Find a good GM, kill him and eat his heart. This way you'll translate his essence into yourself and become a good GM too.
2) When you'll find even better GM, go to step 1 and repeat. Sooner or later there will be no better GMs than you.

Win the dungeon master world championship

I guess it's all about
1. being creative
2. being eloquent/charismatic
3. realizing that DMing is cooperative storytelling. You set the stage, the players are the actors.

Especially the latter is all about trial and error. You don't want to railroad, but you don't want to create a sandbox where everyone fucks around and nothing happens. You need to hit that sweet spot in the middle.

You have to capture other DMs and ure them in pit-fights with your childhood rival

This is good, but I'd also add to this - Know your audience.

Different players enjoy different things, so you have to versatile, to be able to cater to different player styles as well.

>Your friends try to stop you as you force other DMs to fight to the death
>"Why do you keep doing this? You're already the best DM around! Even Dragon Magazine acknowledges this!"
>You slowly turn around to face them
>"It's not enough that I succeed. All others must fail."

The most important thing is to read as much history, political theory and strategy as you can.

guides.grc.usmcu.edu/content_mobile.php?pid=408059&sid=5775642#box_5775642

This page is a good start.

Then listen to one Actual Play a day.
actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com

Finally, run four different systems a year.

Do this for two years and you'll be the best GM your group has ever known.

>Chad DM RED MASTER-RACE
>the virgin GARY MCFUCKFACE

youtu.be/ptXXzQ_dXwg

By having players that value the same aspects of the hobby. If you value a strong narrative, realistic characters and a more mature environment find players that do likewise.

If you value the opposite, find players that do the same. You will not be a good GM (or be a good player) if you are at odds with what makes a good game.

Experience and talent.

Kill all the other ones and you become the best by default. Get to killin'.

>Be me
>12 years old or so
>Pokémon Blue
>Final battle against Gary
>We slug it out, it's my final Pokémon (Charizard) vs his (Blastoise)
>Figure I've already lost due to elemental weakness
>Decide to just use that one useless fucking move I regret picking that never does anything
>It's fissure
>It's actually a one hit KO move with a very, very low chance of hitting
>It hits

I wanna be, the very best
Like no GM ever was

To interest them, is my real test
To snare them in the plot

I will build every plot of land, create it from my mind
For the players to understand the theme that's underlined!

RPGs! Gotta play them all
With a good system too, a good roll can pull us through

You'll teach me and I'll teach you, Role play goals!

You gotta build it all !
*You gotta play it all*!

RPGs!

Step 1 read a ton. Understand how a narritive is crafted as well as themes and knowing when tropes are and aren't appropriate
Step 2 take voice acting classes
Step 3 take improv classes
Step 4 know everything about every rpg
Step 5 have the patience of a saint and the organization of an accountant with germaphobia
Step 6 give up on all that and wing it like the rest of us

Eliminate the competition.

By running a lot of games. You can pontificate about brush strokes and color theory all you like, but if you're not producing any paintings you're not the best artist in the world.

You can't. Not while I live. And I live forever.

Iirc, fissure accuracy was at least partially tied to SPEED, and since Charizard is the fastest starter he actually has a reasonable chance to btfo blastoise

>actual good advice based on real-world theories on Veeky Forums
no way, are you lost user?

I'm saving this one.

Correspondence courses are the best way to go. You can sign up online and they will tell you what books to buy and what to study. From there you can usually start Dungeon Mastering after you reach 3rd level. That won't take to long though. From there you can work on your journeyman levels in Dungeoneering and some of the more advanced skills training.

You can however just find a group and join as a player till you have a handle on the rules and the general how to, read the Dungeon Masters Guide, and then give it a try yourself.

>no way, are you lost user?
No, I'm just sexually attracted to self-improvement.

Oh yeah.

Write 750 words right after waking.
Nobody needs to see it but you. This is a tough truth to swallow but up to a certain point the sheer volume of content you produce supercedes it's 'quality'.

>Write 750 words right after waking.
easier method for slow-writers: audiolog for like 3 minutes each morning, some programs may even allow you to turn it into text.

Seek out other GMs and challenge them to sword-fights. Behead them and absorb their power through the Quickening.

Be warned: many other GMs have chosen this path before you, and some have been very successful. If a GM seems particularly adept at running games, they may be out of your league right now. If this seems the case, do not reveal your power level, or they may decide to prey on you instead.