Give me a quick rundown on this game Veeky Forums

Give me a quick rundown on this game Veeky Forums

12 hours of the most fun backstabbing, dick measuring, and horse trading you can have. Pic related

Do you play with illiterate morons? It is about an hour/player so a full table would be about half that.

Upgrade fighters first, carriers second, win game.

The time can be extended a lot if groups go really hard on the negotiating, roleplaying and galactic politics side. That can end up taking more time than the actual game.

Isn't this countered by destroyers?

>It is about an hour/player for players who know how to play
FTFY. Having to teach even ONE person what’s going on drastically increases the play time, especially if you’re trying to be fair to them and not just dogpile the newbie. And judging from the testimonials of a lot of TI owners that the game only comes off the shelf once in a blue moon, chances are you WILL able trachibg someone to play.

It’s hard enough to get people to try it. Don’t drive players away with this elitist bullshit.

I'm a new owner of TI4, and what surprised me reading the rules was how simple most of the decisions presented to players actually are. It's a complex game with a lot of systems, but no individual system is particularly complex or hard to understand. I'd been worried about teaching it, but breaking it down to the various simple options presented seems like it'll make it a lot easier to get people started on it.

Or by just upgrading Fighters and Carriers

Its like RPS.

F+C is countered by Destroyers or F+C
Destroyers are countered by everything else.
Everything else is countered by F+C.

If you go destroyers, anything other than F+C wrecks you.but if you go F+C, you'll have the same advantage Destroyers WOULD give you against F+C and you have advantage over everything else.

Also upgrading Fighters and Carriers gives a force multiplier, while upgrading anything else only gives an additive increase.

Is this based on older games, or TI4?

I ask because there do seem to be some options in the game, letting you do damage past a fighter screen, which would make a carriers+fighters fleet very vulnerable to the carriers being sniped.

Yeah, according to the people who do Space Cats, Peace Turtles, fighters got a pretty serious nerf in the new edition. I can't speak from my own experience yet, though. I'm still gathering people to play with me.

Hadn't heard of that podcast before, it looks interesting. Thanks.

For a first time player, how important is it to stick to the recommended race selection?

I can understand guiding people towards the simpler options, but with 17 glorious races to choose from it feels really sad to just use a set six. If I was going to broaden the selection are there any races who should particularly be avoided?

Cat Merchant diplomacy

I listened to the first episode of the podcast and then the second refused to load. It seems like that entire podcast host just suddenly went down?

You probably won't be able to tell if a race kind of sucks but you will be able to tell which ones are really complicated.

Site is back up

We play the long objective track and love negotiating

It's simple if you've played any kind of 4x or grand strategy game before but teaching an average person will not be easy

This. Nothing beats having a huge eternal pile of cash to buy favors with.

It's the interaction between these systems that gets overwhelming. An inattentive player WILL get blindsided, often and hard.

You'd think that, but the most straightforward race in the game - the bugs - are definitively not noob-friendly, and neither are L1z1x or Letnev. The only race with which you can't really fuck yourself over are the humans.

How can F+C counter F+C? Shouldn’t a mirror match just makes things a coin flip.

Short story, set aside at least half a day, idealy a day, where you can just chill & play, maybe break for lunch after a bit before digging back in. There were some official variant rules that cut potential game length down to more like 5-6 hours that we used once. It's long, but fun & much easier to expedite shit after everyone has a decent grasp of the gameplay structure

There is nothing quick about TI, user.

>not playing the long game on a huge map
PFFFFFT

Space Cats are literally the best race though.

Looking at my copy of TI4, I had an odd thought for the Ghosts of Creuss. Basically, if you combine the upgrade to PDS with their ability to project a wormhole via tech or their flagship, could you theoretically set it up to your defences could support your fleets no matter where you went? If you had a wormhole on a planet with its own PDS, could you theoretically double up via the range extension, rolling four (or five, with the tech) dice for Space Cannon?

>Give me a quick rundown on this game Veeky Forums
-Rothschilds bow to Lion Furries
-In contact with aliens
-Possess psychic-like abilities
-Control france with an iron but fair fist
-Own castles & banks globally
-Direct descendants of the ancient royal blood line
-Will bankroll the first cities on Mars (LionFurryOpolis will be be the first city)
-Own 99% of DNA editing research facilities on Earth
-First designer babies will in all likelihood be Bogdanoff babies
-both brothers said to have 215+ IQ, such intelligence on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & Area 51
-Ancient Indian scriptures tell of two angels who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of enlightenment and unprecedented technological progress with them
-They own Nanobot R&D labs around the world
-You likely have nanolionfurries inside you right now
-The Lion Furries are in regular communication with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel, forwarding the word of God to the Orthodox Church. Who do you think set up the meeting between the pope & the Orthodox high command (First meeting between the two organisations in over 1000 years) and arranged the Orthodox leader’s first trip to Antarctica in history literally a few days later to the Lion Furry bunker in Wilkes land?
-They learned fluent French in under a week
-Nation states entrust their gold reserves with the twins. There’s no gold in Ft. Knox, only Ft. Lion Furry
-The one on the cover is about 7 decades old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
-In reality, they are timeless beings existing in all points of time and space from the big bang to the end of the universe. We don’t know their ultimate plans yet. We hope they’re benevolent beings.

Bump