Non-MtG Custom Card Thread

As requested in the MtG custom card thread, here's a separate thread for other CCGs. Post your non-MtG custom cards here, exchange feedback, etc.

I've got a couple homemade Hearthstone sets to kick things off.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1-qL5BzswScnGt9ofjdbYohQK9oETTfxG_T4PFDbbisE/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit?usp=sharing
old.photojoiner.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=n0iSLhg5xIk
imgur.com/a/UdPhk
docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit
hearthcards.net/
fuler.games).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rags to Liches
docs.google.com/document/d/1-qL5BzswScnGt9ofjdbYohQK9oETTfxG_T4PFDbbisE/edit?usp=sharing

I designed this as if it were the first set of 2018. It adds a death knight class and is about the fall and rise of Arthas in WC3. I created it after Un'goro was released, and before KotFT was announced. Whoops.

Escape to Which Timeline?
docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit?usp=sharing

I made this one after the release of KotFT, and designed it as the second set of 2018. It brings back Hero and Quest cards, each with a twist that makes them quite different from the Un'goro Quests and KotFT heroes. It also introduces a new Timer mechanic, and has time travel/alternate dimension themes. I haven't put lore/story details in the document, but if people are interested I'm happy to talk about the setting I came up with for it.

user reporting!

A while back (a considerably while back), I've created my own Hearthstone set based on The Burning Crusade expansion. I will start posting the cards for each class as soon as I find myself sometime between work tasks (sadly, making custom cards is not yet my dayjob). Meanwhile, here is the new ability I came up with for the expansion (pic related).

>Rags to Liches
>docs.google.com/document/d/1-qL5BzswScnGt9ofjdbYohQK9oETTfxG_T4PFDbbisE/edit?usp=sharing
I will check soon enough. Though I think people are more encouraged to look at your stuff if you post them here instead of just sharing links.

Also guys, this rule from the MtG thread is a good one:
>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

> alright, time's up! let's do this! LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY

>will start posting the cards for each class as soon as I find myself sometime between work tasks
Well, fuck work! Here are my cards for the Druid class.

Note: I'm pushing a metagame mentality for each class, which might not be the same for the current expansions. My expansion doesn't consider how the game is right now, so I don't take real cards much in consideration, unless they're cards from the original permanent expansion.

Any thoughts?

> get hyped
> do dumb shit
fuuuuuuuuuuuck (forgot pic)

>I will check soon enough. Though I think people are more encouraged to look at your stuff if you post them here instead of just sharing links.
Between these two sets I've got over 300 cards, and I've never been much of an art guy, so for the most part I don't have any accompanying artwork. That said, I'll make some posts talking about bits of the set and how they fit together, with the relevant cards included.

Actually, what would people be interested in hearing about first? Rags to Liches adds a new class, maybe people would like to hear about that. Alternatively, I add an undead tribe (and support for multiple tribes on a minion), and a couple new keywords. Or I could talk about the class cards for each class. Or I could talk about the other expansion instead, or nothing at all.

Any requests?

Some cool ideas there, I like Circle of Life. I think they're a little undertuned for the most part, apart from the legendary which seems very very strong for 4 mana.

What's the set that they're part of? Zangarmarsh?

> Actually, what would people be interested in hearing about first?
Just hook us up with your stuff, man (or me, if I'm the only other one here lol). Why don't you start with showing your new class' hero power + core class cards?

> I think they're a little undertuned for the most part
Yeah, I tend to do that. When in doubt, I go for weaker.

> What's the set that they're part of? Zangarmarsh?
The whole set is basically, the entire Outlands as seeing in The Burning Crusade. Druid was a tough one to find ideas for because its not a very druid-place to begin with.
>Spore Cloud, Feralfen Druid and Watcher Leesa'oh are from Zangarmash.
>Infested Root-Walker is from that desert place on Terokkar.
>Raven's Wood Stonebark is from Blade's Edge.
>Eco-Dome Engineer is from that zone I forgot the name, but the one with many floating islands.

The whole set has a theme of draw, and consequently, milling. Druid goes for that, as well as a "many minions" synergy, with cards that summons other smaller things, and other cards that buff all other minions with +1/+1.

> Hunter card (pic related)
Hunter is going for a less face mentality, with some more costy things but with a lot of value, and some defensive/control cards. Tired of Facehunter all the time.

>Just hook us up with your stuff, man (or me, if I'm the only other one here lol). Why don't you start with showing your new class' hero power + core class cards?
Sure. The hero power summons a 1/1 Mindless Ghoul that dies at the end of your turn (though I'm considering dropping the dying at the end of your turn, actually, it might just be fine as a 1/1 with Mindless).

Mindless, I should say, is a new keyword in Rags to Liches, pic related. As I designed the set, we were just coming out of MSG, probably the most cancerous meta we've ever had, and so I had a strong urge to make anti-cancer stuff. The Mindless Keyword allows you to trade immediately (and efficiently), punishes your opponent if they're ignoring the board (because against an empty board a Mindless minion is just an overstatted Charge minion), and forces you to deal with their board fully before you can go face. As a result, it encourages honest, interactive trading gameplay and supports zoo decks, which are one of the least obnoxious in the game.

Mindless is an evergreen addition and available to all classes, but Death Knights in particular have a lot of Mindless minions. Their gameplay is very heavily focused on maintaining control of the game and trading efficiently. Aggressive dk decks will usually clear the opponent's board before going face. They don't have very much in the way of direct damage, and they have almost no means whatsoever of doing substantial face damage except through minions.

They also have a theme of treating their minions as really disposable. They have a selective discard mechanic called Expend (pic related), and effects that are fuelled by friendly minion deaths. In fact, the only draw mechanic in their evergreen set is this:
>Harvest the Fallen – 2 mana spell – Each time a friendly minion dies this turn, draw a card.

>Mindless, I should say, is a new keyword in Rags to Liches, pic related.
Uh, didn't like it as it is. I get your idea for going for this mechanic and its a really valid idea, but I think it being a Charge with a drawback sorts of ruins it. If I were you, I would much rather to with simply "Can't attack heroes with minions.". I think that is already enough, already adds a bunch of possibilities (for cards that trade very well but are not good for going straight to the face)

> The hero power summons a 1/1 Mindless Ghoul that dies at the end of your turn (though I'm considering dropping the dying at the end of your turn, actually, it might just be fine as a 1/1 with Mindless).
I agree that you should drop the end of turn death. Just compare this power with Paladin's power - you are giving Charge (a plus) but adding Mindless (a drawback), which we could say is roughly the same. Though if you have a lot of cards that synergy with the Undead type or/and minions dying for your class, maybe keeping the dying thing might be a good idea. But just so you know, I stand on my original point that Mindless shouldn't have "can attack immediately". In that case, Mindless Ghoul could have both Mindless and Charge. Again, I just don't think you need to restrict the mechanic, its better to just let it more broad.

Here are the 10 basic dk cards:
>Death Coil – 4 mana spell – Deal 5 damage to a minion. If it’s a friendly Undead minion, Restore 5 health to it and to your hero instead.
>Dark Transformation – 2 mana spell - Give a Mindless Ghoul +3/+3 (+3 Attack/+3 Health) and prevent it dying at the end of your turn.
>Death Strike – 2 mana spell – Give your hero +3 Attack and Lifesteal this turn.
>Death Grip – 1 mana spell – Force an enemy minion to attack you.
>Runed Soulblade – 3 mana 3/2 weapon – Lifesteal.
>Runeforging - 2 mana spell - Equip your most recent weapon, with 1 Durability.
>Strangulate – 2 mana spell – Silence a minion, then Freeze it.
>Heart Strike – 2 mana spell – When your hero attacks a minion this turn, the attack hits another random enemy minion.
>Harvest the Fallen – 2 mana spell – Each time a friendly minion dies this turn, draw a card.
>Ravenous Geist – 2 mana 3/2 undead minion – Mindless.

>I think it being a Charge with a drawback sorts of ruins it
Nah, that's the whole point. They've admitted several times that implementing Charge as it is was really dumb and bad for the game, Mindless is what Charge should have been in the first place. In fact, look at Charged Devilsaur, Icehowl, etc, they've clearly been thinking along the same lines. The point of Mindless is so you can have a minion attack immediately, without the keyword actually meaning "Battlecry: Hit face unless a Taunt's in the way".

But yeah, I think I'll drop the end of turn death, above all because it eats up my card text budget when I have something summon a Mindless Ghoul.

> Expend (pic related)
This is a rough path. First of all, I think a keyword should be as simple as possible, and I don't remember Hearthstone doing Keyword N thing like MtG. So here I would go for "To play this card you must choose and discard a minion card.". I also think "Sacrifice" seems a better name.

But again, we have the issue that Hearthstone don't let you point at cards in your hand (at least the last time I checked, been a few months out of the game). So this would feel really clumsy to do. Remember that Hearthstone is a waaay simpler game and players are not used to do more than clicking twice for each card (click on the card, then on the target). This alone sorts of restrict this mechanic to be implemented on target-less cards. Also, I can see people bitching about it and how it doesn't feel right on Hearthstone.

Maybe what you could replace here is "You can only play this card if a minion of yours died this turn", or maybe something like Combo but the condition is that at least one minion died that turn. I think that would flow a lot better, and feel a lot smoother for Timmy-minded players such as Hearthstone's.

>Nah, that's the whole point.
I see. In that case, I would recommend changing the name to something more broad, something more charge-like. Maybe something that invokes the idea that the minion is going to war to fight other minions and not necessarily go objective. Could even be something like "Warpath", idk. I do think "Mindless" restricts a bit the use of it. (yes, I always have something to comment, sorry if this seems a bit offensive/cocky)

> Here are the 10 basic dk cards:
will see them in a sec (i'm fucked at work, I shouldn't even be here)

Here are the Classic cards:

Legendary:
>Frostmourne – 6 mana 5/2 legendary weapon - Expend (1). When you kill a minion with this weapon, summon it as an Undead.
Epic:
>Soul Harvester – 7 mana 6/8 minion – Expend (1). Copies the Expended minion’s card text.
[note – card text is copied before battlecry phase]
>Purgatory – 4 mana secret – When your hero takes fatal damage, prevent it and become Immune until the end of your next turn.
>Apocalypse – 10 mana spell – Expend (1). Destroy all enemy minions.
Rare:
>Ebon Commander – 6 mana 4/2 undead minion – Charge. Deathrattle: Summon a 4/2 Risen Ebon Commander with Charge.
>Death and Decay – 4 mana spell – Expend (0-1). Costs (2) less if you Expend. Deal 1 damage to all enemy minions on the board and in your opponent’s hand.
>Gorefiend’s Grasp – 4 mana spell - Force all friendly minions to attack an enemy minion or all enemy minions to attack a friendly character.
>Mind Freeze – 4 mana Secret – When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it. Their spells cost (5) more for the rest of the turn.
>Asphyxiate – 6 mana spell – Expend (0-1). Costs (2) less if you Expend. Silence a minion, then destroy it.
Common:
>Army of the Dead - 2 mana spell – Expend (0-2). Summon 2 1/1 Mindless Ghouls, plus 1 for each card Expended.
>Anti-Magic Shell – 4 mana secret - When your opponent casts a spell, gain 10 Armor and draw a card.
>Death Pact – 2 mana spell – Expend (1). Destroy a friendly Undead minion. Restore 15 health to your hero.
Anti-Magic Zone – 4 mana secret – Secret: When a spell would destroy more than one of your minions at once, instead give your minions Immune and Elusive this turn.
>Knight of Acherus – 3 mana 2/1 undead minion – Charge. Deathrattle: Summon a 2/1 Risen Ebon Knight with Charge.
>Ebon Blade Initiate – 1 mana 2/2 undead minion – Expendable.

Pic related is Expendable, by the way. It's rare, but important in an Expend deck.

Infested Root-Walker should have taunt, Raven's Wood Stonebark should cost 7. Besides that, these cards are good.

>I don't remember Hearthstone doing Keyword N thing like MtG
Nah, there's Overload, it's written the same way. Though, I put Expend at the start of the card text rather than the end like Overload, because the Expend cost is often relevant to the rest of the text.
>we have the issue that Hearthstone don't let you point at cards in your hand
I've got this covered too, needs a bit of detail though so I'll put it in the next post.
>I would recommend changing the name to something more broad, something more charge-like
I settled on Mindless because it fits the theme of a minion that's very aggressive but can't focus on the priority target. Mindless minions are usually undead, or beasts, or similarly mindless things. The interface would have the enemy hero go out of focus when you're targeting a Mindless attack and can only choose a minion. I think it's broad enough to accommodate a good range of minions.

Here's how playing an Expend card works, with a crude illustration to make it a little clearer:

When the player plays an Expend card, the card does not immediately count as played (like the Druid’s Choose One mechanic, the card awaits further player input and can be cancelled without any penalty). The player then selects the minion(s) to be discarded by removing them from their hand as they would if playing them. They are displayed above the player’s hand, next to buttons saying “Expend” and “Cancel” and can be placed back into it if the player changes their mind about which minions they wish to discard. When the player has selected the specified number of minions (or chosen how many they wish to Expend, in the case of cards with variable Expend costs) the Expend button becomes active. Upon pressing it, the player chooses a spell/battlecry target (if applicable), and then the spell or minion is played.

It opens up a bit of new design space, letting you choose cards in hand, and it's not much more of an ordeal than playing a Choose One card with a target. You just play the Expend minion, drop the card you're discarding into the Expend box, and hit the button. Three steps, the same as a keeper of the grove (play, choose effect, choose target). Definitely less clumsy than something like Kazakus.

Not that it's not pushing the boundaries a bit, I agree it is, but I think it's within reason and justifies itself.

Got to go take care of dinner, will be back later though.

Is "Betrayal" here the rogue card?

>Is "Betrayal" here the rogue card?
yes

>Infested Root-Walker should have taunt, Raven's Wood Stonebark should cost 7
Well, I have been a few months away from Hearthstone so I'm not on the right mind to make such calls without doing some research before, but I do tend to go "safe" when in doubt, which leads to usually weaker cards. Also, now that I posted, I did feel weird about not having a single Taunt card for Druid.

> Nah, there's Overload, it's written the same way.
Hm. Forgot about Overload. But the main reason why I said that is because I think this is an extra complexity that neither the game or the mechanic needs it. Keep in mind that Hearthstone aims for simplicity, so you can play on your sofa with half your brain asleep. Honestly, I don't think the design space that it adds (not setting Expandable always to 1) is worth the trouble of the added complexity. While Overload is a very simple mechanic, yours is already a brand new mechanic that requires custom interface interaction to pull it off. Its already a huuuge stretch, design-wise, so I think you should clean it up and settle for 1 as a way for it to keep simple.

> I've got this covered too, needs a bit of detail though so I'll put it in the next post.
I will check that in a second

> I settled on Mindless because it fits the theme of a minion that's very aggressive but can't focus on the priority target. Mindless minions are usually undead, or beasts, or similarly mindless things.
The thing is... you mentioned this being an evergreen keyword, right? If it was a one-time thing, I wouldn't care so much about the name. But if I want to come up with a Gladiator-like minion on the next expansion with your keyword, it doesn't make that much sense.

>>Death Coil – 4 mana spell – Deal 5 damage to a minion. If it’s a friendly Undead minion, Restore 5 health to it and to your hero instead.
This feel a bit off to me. I think it would make more sense to give +0/+5 to the Undead minion rather than restoring Health. But mostly, healing you AND the minion feels weird.
>>Dark Transformation – 2 mana spell - Give a Mindless Ghoul +3/+3 (+3 Attack/+3 Health) and prevent it dying at the end of your turn.
You need to rethink this if you are removing the "dying at the end of your turn" thingy from Mindless Ghoul. Also, I think it would make more sense for this to be a generic "buff Undead" thing rather than targeting only Mindless Ghoul.
>>Death Strike – 2 mana spell – Give your hero +3 Attack and Lifesteal this turn.
Seems fair.
>>Death Grip – 1 mana spell – Force an enemy minion to attack you.
How exactly this works?
>>Runed Soulblade – 3 mana 3/2 weapon – Lifesteal.
Seems fair, though I don't recommend it. If these are your basic Deathknight cards, I don't think its a good call to add a Attack buff that gives Lifesteal AND a weapon that gives Lifesteal. Seems like the player will very often run into redundancy here, where he wants to do a bunch of damage but he doesn't want to overlap the lifestealing. I think you should keep the Lifesteal on one of them, and give the other something else.
>>Runeforging - 2 mana spell - Equip your most recent weapon, with 1 Durability.
Interesting. Though I think this could maybe be cheaper. "Upgrade!" costs 1 and let you hit 1 additional time with your weapon, so I don't see why this couldn't cost 1 as well.

>>Strangulate – 2 mana spell – Silence a minion, then Freeze it.
Nice, I like it. But couldn't this simply cost 1? (i'm not sure here, but Priest's Silence costs 0, and Mage's Frostbolt and Shaman's Frostshock both costs 1, but have an additional effect)
>>Heart Strike – 2 mana spell – When your hero attacks a minion this turn, the attack hits another random enemy minion.
I think this should just be "... this another random target.". Would be a nice way to "avoid" taunt.
>>Harvest the Fallen – 2 mana spell – Each time a friendly minion dies this turn, draw a card.
Cool. No idea how much this should cost though.
>>Ravenous Geist – 2 mana 3/2 undead minion – Mindless.
I think this Mindless mechanic would play well.

>Here's how playing an Expend card works, with a crude illustration to make it a little clearer:
First of all, I just want to say its really great you took time to think how things would actually work in the game. I've already seen my share of people who come up with custom cards for Hearthstone but don't think this through, then their cards are just extremely clumsy or simply can't work because of that.

I've read your explanation, saw your image and I think I've understood enough. You have convinced me that this could work with the interface, but the main issue for me still stands. I simply see no reason to add so much complexity for this keyword, when you could already have something nice without said complexity. Personally (and this is my preference as a designer, and not a player), I think the mechanic has its fair share of complexity being simply "To play this card, you must choose and discard a minion card". I think adding an X to the equation only complicate things, creature inconsistency and go against the simplicity philosophy of the game. I strongly encourage you to rethink this.

Now comes the ugly truth: Expendable is a terrible keyword and you should get rid of it. Here are the reasons why:
> First of all, this whole discard theme is already on Warlock. Hearthstone struggles to put some colorpie identity on their classes, stealing one of the main things from one to add to a new class simply seems counter-productive.
> At the same time Expend is a bit different from Warlock's discards, because you choose, Expendable is a mechanic that already exist on Warlock cards like that kitchenware one. You are actively stealing from the Warlock class here.
> It sort of loses the point of Expend. Yes, obvious synergy is obvious, but you take something that is supposed to be a drawback and make it into a bonus, which is very dangerous, balance-wise.
> Its waaay too narrow for it to be a keyword on its own.

Hey, I'm back. I'll start going through your concerns.

>Expend (X) is unnecessary, variable costs just makes things even more complicated.
Some important and interesting cards rely on variable expend costs. For example:
>Asphyxiate – 6 mana spell – Expend (0-1). Costs (2) less if you Expend. Silence a minion, then destroy it.
and other cards that are discounted if you expend and overcosted if not
>Army of the Dead - 2 mana spell – Expend (0-2). Summon 2 1/1 Mindless Ghouls plus 1 for each card Expended.
This is intended to be an important combo piece with Harvest the Fallen - the flexibility is important, letting you throw away unwanted minions in your hand, get an extra ghoul, kill it, and draw to replace the expended minions. There are other cards that do this sort of thing.
>Sadistic Commander - 3 mana 4/4 minion – Expend (1-3). Battlecry: Summon the Expended minions. Then destroy them.
This already niche (but interesting) card would be completely unworkable if you didn't have the flexibility.
There are also non-dk cards that use the Expend interface that wouldn't work if you only chose one card, such as this mage/rogue legendary from the second set:
>Admiral Jaina Proudmoore - 2 mana hero – Fated. Battlecry: Add a Pocket Dimension to your hand. [Hero Power: Bank – Hero Power. Add a Coin to your hand.]
>Pocket Dimension - 1 mana spell – Put up to 5 cards in your hand into a pocket dimension. Add Empty Pockets to your hand. (Empty Pockets - 1 mana spell - Return the contents of your Pocket Dimension to your hand. Cannot be discarded.).

Hopefully you can see from those why it's worth having the complexity from the variable cost.

some responses to some of what you're saying regarding the cards:

>Death Coil and Strangulate
These were kinda made to be duds. All the basic sets include at least a couple cards that don't make that much sense and aren't very useful, and the dk basic set is already uncomfortably strong.
>Dark Transformation
Good point about the not dying, but I think I'll keep it ghoul only, I'd have to bring the numbers down if it were all undead and I like the specificity of the hero power ghoul.
>Runeforging seems overcosted
Nah, you haven't seen how valuable a 1 durability weapon is to a death knight. In fact, it might be undercosted. Take a look at how it combos with Frostmourne and then look at...
>Death Grip and Gorefiend's Grasp
Have a look at this:
youtube.com/watch?v=n0iSLhg5xIk
During your turn, when you have a weapon equipped, anything that attacks you takes the damage. The "grip" mechanic, new and exclusive to death knights, effectively lets you deal your weapon damage to a target (or multiple targets) without using up durability.
>Runed Soulblade and Death Strike
I agree they overlap a bit. However, I designed the death knight to be a class with very strong healing, but unlike, say, paladin, it's almost entirely through Lifesteal. I think having two lifesteal cards available in the basic/classic set is fine, though maybe I should put one in basic and one in classic.
>Runeforging, Lifesteal, and Grip effects
Now, for an extreme example of how these cards are useful (particularly when comboed) imagine this:
>the last weapon you had equipped was frostmourne
>you are brought to 0 health, triggering purgatory
>you then cast runeforging, then death strike, then cast gorefiend's grasp on your hero

Do you see why runeforging probably isn't overcosted?

>Expendable is bad
First, death knight's not stealing it away from warlock - both classes would use it. Silverware Golem would be updated to have Expendable, and warlock gets this card in RtL to replace Silver Golem and Malchezzar's Imp so that discard lock isn't completely wiped out:
>Fodder Imp – 1 mana 1/2 demon minion – Expendable. Whenever you discard a card, draw a card.

Additionally, I've given a couple of the DK legendaries expendable as well as their unique mechanics:
>Captain Falric – 3 mana 2/4 Undead minion – Expendable. Every time a friendly minion dies, it dies again.
>Marwyn – 5 mana 4/2 undead minion – Charge. Expendable. Battlecry: For the rest of the game, your minions are Expendable.
Both, but particularly Marwyn, wouldn't really work if the "When you discard this minion, summon it" mechanic didn't have a keyword.
Expendable is a pretty rare mechanic, I definitely concede that, but having it as a keyword allows the Expendable cards you include in discard decks to not be boring vanilla minions after you summon them.

Expendable is on shakier ground than Mindless and Expend though, yeah.

Sorry man, but I won't be able to read it right now. Busy day today, I'm just dropping these and leaving. I will read them all as soon as I get back, though.

> Mage cards (pic related)
Mage is going for "cast many spells" meta, which is already a recurrent metagame for mage anyways. Several of these cards synergize with the legendary, which is supposed to be a win condition.

So, some friends and I got together, and figured, "hey, we like Hearthstone and Shadowverse, let's make some cards for a game that's like those two, but probably not seriously".
So, we made 'em. The mechanics go as such: 20-card factions that can be used in pairs (so you could use two factions, and have cards from both), with maybe a few filler cards and such. Like Hearthstone, players have 30 Health, and like Shadowverse, players use 40-card decks, with a limit of 3 copies of a card.

While one guy made dragons and shit for THEIR cards, I made... giant robots: Enjoy: imgur.com/a/UdPhk

About to go to bed so can't look at them now, but I look forward to seeing them in the morning.

For keyword clarification, I should probably specify:
>Charge: This follower may attack the turn it is summoned.
>Rush: This follower may attack minions the turn it is summoned.
>Bulwark: Enemy followers can only target followers with Ward for attacks.
>Slayer: Enemy followers that take damage from this follower are destroyed.
>Arrival: Effect is activated when this follower is summoned. (Not played from hand, summoned.)
>Finality: Effect is activated when this follower is destroyed.
>Banish: Card leaves the field, and is not treated as being destroyed.

Another thing about what we wanted to do was give each "faction" a special keyword, which would be explained in the faction's Leader Card.

I agree, Raven's Wood Stonebark has one hell of a drawback. You either Pot of Greed your opponent, or heal them big-time.

... One of which is actually just, useless, if you play control.

>Some important and interesting cards rely on variable expend costs.
Arguably. See below.
>Asphyxiate
Its interesting on its own, Expend doesn't make it any better (the only thing it does is make it clumsier)
>Army of the Dead
Expend could easily be replaced with an effect that summons another M.G. for each minion that died this turn. Expend is not improving the card, design-wise.
> This is intended to be an important combo piece with Harvest the Fallen
There are A LOT of better/cleaner way to arrange such combos. A "1 damage to all minions" already sort of achieves this.
>Sadistic Commander
>completely unworkable if you didn't have the flexibility.
3 mana, 4/3, Battlecry: Summon a minion that died this game, then destroy it.

I'm either not convinced, or even less convinced than before. I'm really unsure about this Expend mechanic, but I'm quite convinced that even if you roll with it, having it as N is completely unnecessary, and a bad decision, design-wise.

I also need to point out that not having images for your cards really slow downs/tires the process of discussing them. There is a reason why card games use very visually-effective cards. Its easy to read them.

>Nah, you haven't seen how valuable a 1 durability weapon is to a death knight.
It virtually gives you another hit, which is basically what Upgrade! does. Am I missing anything? Is there any super strong Deathrattle effect on any weapon that makes this something more than 1 extra hit?
> youtube.com/watch?v=n0iSLhg5xIk
Interesting. Good to know, and maybe a nice niche to explore indeed.
> However, I designed the death knight to be a class with very strong healing, but unlike, say, paladin, it's almost entirely through Lifesteal.
I honestly think you would gain if you replace the Lifesteal on the weapon with any Deathrattle effect. It would avoid this problem, and would synergy better with the thing that re-equip a weapon.
> Do you see why runeforging probably isn't overcosted?
> you have Frostmourne equipped with 1 durability, about to use it
> you cast "Upgrade!" (hypothetical situation), giving it +1/+1
> uses it
> later you go to 0 health, triggers purgatory, etc
> still have Frostmourne
> still have Deathstrike
> everything works virtually the same
I'm not sayin that Runeforging is not an interesting card. It is a really interesting card to use with Deathrattle weapons. Otherwise, its pretty much an alternative Upgrade!, with 2 reduced damage.

(also, note on the fact that Purgatory = Ice Barrier, plus the fact that I'm yet to see any reason why you chose to go for Secrets on a Deathknight...)

>First, death knight's not stealing it away from warlock - both classes would use it.
That is virtually stealing. You are taking something that is a class signature/identity mechanic and giving to another class. Hearthstone already is very scarce of color-pie, most classes do basically the same thing (they are struggling to come up with more unique mechanics, but most basic things feature on most classes). So I don't see a good point on taking something that makes Warlock unique, to make a class that is also not going to be unique.
>Captain Falric
The double-death thing is interesting, though again, the Expendable part seems pretty pointless on this card. I can't stress how much this mechanic is a bad way to go.
> Both, but particularly Marwyn, wouldn't really work if the "When you discard this minion, summon it" mechanic didn't have a keyword.
"Whenever you discard a minion card, summon it instead."

>I agree, Raven's Wood Stonebark has one hell of a drawback. You either Pot of Greed your opponent, or heal them big-time.

>... One of which is actually just, useless, if you play control.
Well, now you are seeing how the card is supposed to be used. At the same time, restoring 8 Health and having your opponent drawing 2 cards can be an interesting on a milling deck. Usually cards with drawbacks are best exploited when you use them in a situation the drawback either works for your advantage (in the case of milling), or simply doesn't bother you strategy (in the case of control).

> Paladin cards (pic related).
Basically, nothing new, mechanic-wise. Just a bunch of Divine Shield and Secret interaction.

Cult Master + Al'ar to destroy your opponent's big cards?

Could this destroy Jaraxxus as a hero?

Wow! Hammer of the Naaru is literally a better Arcanite Reaper, with EVEN BETTER TRADING POTENTIAL... by taking out the risk of hitting minions with your face. Eh, more flexible than that Shadowblade thing, it can mitigate 1 damage?

bump

Heroism? Don't know that one.

Also: God damn holy exorcist, you would be useful in a deck that can actually play demons rather than Paladin.

>Cult Master + Al'ar to destroy your opponent's big cards?
Haven't thought of that, but seems indeed a nice combo! The idea of the card was indeed forcing draw so it reborns instantly, but I didn't think of the combo with Cult Master.

>Could this destroy Jaraxxus as a hero?
Yes. The same way as Warlock's Sacrificial Pact do.

>Wow! Hammer of the Naaru is literally a better Arcanite Reaper, with EVEN BETTER TRADING POTENTIAL
Yes. Arcanite Reaper is common, Hammer of the Naaru is epic. Its a really good trading card, because lets you do 6 damage without losing any life.

>Heroism? Don't know that one.
You can see on , but basically it reads: "A bonus if you play this card on the same turn you drew it". It works very similarly to Combo, but the condition is having drawn that card on that same turn rather than Combo's condition of playing another card.

Also, you can see the other classes for the same set here:
There are also neutral card scattered all around.

> God damn holy exorcist, you would be useful in a deck that can actually play demons rather than Paladin
Paladins can play their own Demons. The set feature a few Demons options on Neutral for everyone. Besides the original Illidan, we have and a legendary Demon, as well as and cards that summons Demons (pic related). So Paladins can add a few Demons on their own deck in order to get extra value of this card, though I'm also considering that other classes might as well be playing Demons, so it would be a meta with some random Demons popping up on decks other than Warlock. (this card would be WAY strong on a Warlock deck)

Silly me, forgot to attach the summon from the legendary. But here it is.

Spore cloud looks like an ass farting.

>Spore cloud looks like an ass farting.
Can't be too picky about the artwork. I do my best to find one fitting, but I create my cards THEN look for art, not the other way around. Some of them I had to spend a bit of time on Photoshop to get something less terrible

> Priest cards (pic related)
Just FYI:

>Cabal Acolyte
>Battlecry: Give your opponent a random 'Shadow Word' card.
Yes, those are the Shadow Words available to Priest. The last time I checked, the Shadow Words we have are Pain, Death and Horror.

>Mind Spike
>Shadow Spike
>If your opponent cast a Mind Blast while this is at your hand...
This is that basic 5 damage spell from Priest.

>runeforging
The thing is, death knights are really really dependent on having a weapon equipped for removal. Death Grip is their main single target removal spell, and Gorefiend's Grasp for board clear. Unlike other weapon classes, dks have a really strong incentive to sit on the last point of durability without using it so that their grip spells actually do something, so they're really vulnerable to weapon removal. Being able to equip a high damage weapon with lifesteal or froustmourne's resurrection effect, for only 2 mana, is very important to them, otherwise they get hard countered by ooze. With Runeforging, you can use your weapon freely and summon it back cheaply whenever you need it for a grip combo.

Also, I should note that upgrade itself would be much stronger in a dk deck than in warrior. (think about how much difference +1/+1 makes to Runed Soulblade and Frostmourne vs FWA and Arcanite Reaper).

>purgatory = ice block
You might have missed the difference in the wording. Purgatory's immunity lasts until the end of YOUR turn, which lets you take weapon swings (or Gorefiend's Grasp an entire board) and synergises with Lifesteal and Frostmourne.
>Secrets
Another thing I wanted to do with the DK was take the opportunity to put in a permanent counterweight to combo decks. DK secrets tend to be very very strong against spell OTK decks

Anyway, enough dk stuff, I'd quite like to see what people think of the second expansion. It's got some more interesting stuff going on, in my opinion.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit
Tell me what seems interesting in the first page.

>>docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit
I think its time for you to make your cards into actual cards. I really don't care about the art itself, you can even do it with a blank empty space as art. The important thing is that having it all there in a card form makes it A LOT easier to read and understand. Reading tons of written cards makes them mix all up and is hard to understand them fully. Please, if you have the time, make them into actual cards. This is an image board for a reason, after all. Its easy and online, don't even need to download a program for that.
> hearthcards.net/

> Runeforging
Runeforging is a really nice card, I really like it, though I still feel its an equivalent to Upgrade!. Yeah, it handles weapon destruction better, but it doesn't give you +1 attack and don't help you building stronger weapons. Its not exactly as Upgrade!, but it is pretty much the same, function-wise. Therefore I think it should cost the same. They do the same thing, only in a different way.

> You might have missed the difference in the wording.
So its a Ice Barrier with a bonus, but an Ice Barrier nonetheless. But again, this doesn't even need to be a secret. It could be a regular spell that gives you Immune until your next turn. It stops your enemy from pulling some gay-ass combo on the next turn, and lets you smash shit with your life-stealing weapon on that turn without taking damage

> Another thing I wanted to do with the DK was take the opportunity to put in a permanent counterweight to combo decks.
I honestly think its dangerous to go for cost-4 secret. There's a threshold of how much power you can put on secret-like cards, and it seems that 3-cost is that number. The thing is, secrets can't be too expensive, because that means that if they fail horribly, you sort of lose way too much resource on it. I'm a bit reluctant to add secrets to DK, but having it at 4-cost makes me even more reluctant

>I think its time for you to make your cards into actual cards.
Sure, I can do this. Just take a look at the summary on the first page and tell me what you'd like to hear more about. I'll gen the relevant cards and talk about them.

>Gul'dan the Saintly
>The Darkest Timeline
>Facehunting
>Sum of All Hopes
>Eternal Bantermaster
>Divine Pyromancy
these got me gigglin', but i don't got no "sensible chuckle" images, damn

The Hero Powers on the Hero Cards lack costs, but I assume that's because they all generally cost 2 Mana, anyway.

>Both players sleep through their next turn. (Slumbering Druid)
what's this mean, tho? neither hero can attack? you waste an entire round?
>This turn and for 4 turns, restore 4 Health to your hero. (Rejuvenation)
but when?

Libram Keeper has some RIDICULOUS value, considering it makes like, 4-mana worth of value in secrets WITH a 4/2 body, which is terrible, sure, but it's a free body that goes with the secret. (Sadly, most of these aren't TOO amazing without Meme Streets.)

Is Champions of Infinity supposed to be this good? You can just, stock it up with the button, then throw down some big shit. I assume it's to go with Recruit and other shit, hence why it says "summon", and not "play".
Bubble Hearth confirmed to be the next Reno Jackson?
Answer the Call: Muster For Battle, but even better!

Beacon of Sacrifice is hilariously bad, but boy, do I love Gul'dan's new name.

Priest does NOT need another Faceless Manipulator OR super-silence, but I guess all Priest is good for is memes. You clever fucker. Actually, Infinite Silencer is pretty hilarious. Lemme uh, Silence my non-attackers.

Won't be able to go through all the cards, but hot diggity, I'm liking 'em. I'd recommend bolding keywords and all that.

>Hero Powers
Yeah, they're all either 2 mana or passives
>Both players sleep through their next turn.
Yeah, it means when his turn starts he just passes, then you do the same. End of turn effects etc trigger, you each draw a card, you each gain a mana crystal, you play it on turn 3, then you each pass turn 4 and resume on turn 5.
>This turn and for 4 turns, restore 4 Health to your hero. (Rejuvenation)
I've got a writeup on how Timers work but I haven't got it in that document. I'll paste it in, if you go back and look after the first summary page you'll see an explanation of how the timer mechanic works.
>Libram Keeper
I designed the secrets to be very strong 2 mana secrets, somewhere between a mage and a paladin secret. I agree he's maybe a little too strong though, might bring it down to a 3/2.
>Answer the Call
Muster gets the weapon, which is very valuable on turn three. Compare this to lost in the jungle. I think muster's stronger, actually.
>Beacon of Sacrifice
I wouldn't underestimate it, you get free divine shields on everything you summon, that's big. You'll be taking a lot of damage but if you're playing aggressively you should be able to overwhelm your opponent before that matters.
>Priest
I've included a lot of "summon copy" effects in this set, partly for flavour and partly to support Moros decks. I agree that's one of the weaker inclusions.

Which cards should I show off then? Were you interested in the paladin stuff?

>Sure, I can do this. Just take a look at the summary on the first page and tell me what you'd like to hear more about. I'll gen the relevant cards and talk about them.
Its not that I'm trying to be lazy or anything, but its hard to go through columns of text, specially during work hours. And probably, by the time I get out of work (and the gym afterwards), you might be already going to bed because time difference, so it sort of slows down our thread.

>Lifegain decks (Priest, Death Knight, Warrior)
>Suicide Aggro (Paladin and Warlock) and >Suicide Control (Warlock)
>A new style of Deathrattle Combo decks (Paladin and Death Knight)
>An exciting neutral win-condition combo card, with numerous deckbuilding options
>Spell Damage Mage
>Full-on Thief Priest
>Pauper Zoo (any class, but particularly Paladin, Warlock and Rogue)
>A very cerebral new Aggro playstyle (Death Knight and Druid)
If any of these grab you, I can get the relevant cards and go through it.

Also, I've updated the document to include the explanation for how the dual-class cards work, and how the timers work. Just scroll past the first page and it'll be right there.

>An exciting neutral win-condition combo card, with numerous deckbuilding options
let's go with this for starters

> Rogue cards (pic related)
A bit of milling, a bit of Combo, but also some good synergy for Heroism. (which though the name doesn't sound something Rogue-like, mechanically it fits very well. Though Rogue goes for a more opportunist approach)

bump

Gul'dan the Saintly, The Darkest Timeline, Facehunting, Sum of All Hopes, Eternal Bantermaster, and Divine Pyromancy would be what I really wanna see... probably Champions of Infinity, Bubble Hearth, and Answer the Call, too. Hey, that makes it nine!

Need some sleep, but I'll have those cards up first thing in the morning.

Bump while I read user's google doc

>docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkFdgVjy3UtQTxaanh1M6esz5hSyZJSrfITQOOm8J4/edit
First of all, please remember the basic rule for MtG custom card threads.
>1. Your cards will be criticized. Thick skin is a must.

Because I got to be honest with you. I've read the first few pages of your file (read the pages that explain stuff, and the first few cards), and I'm really no satisfied by most of what I read. If you truly want to hear what I have to say, let me know and I will give my opinion and the reasons why I think that way. Though you should know its not going to be pretty.

Something I already mentioned and I feel I need to point out again, is the fact that you seems to really think how things would work out. I've seen a lot of people come up with custom cards for games, Hearthstone included, and their cards are all flawed because they didn't really think through the consequences of that card. You, on the other hand, have put quite an effort to explain how things work (like explaining how the Timer cards work, or how dual-class cards works with Ethereal Peddler), and that is something very important.

Funny thing, though. You created a keyword for cards that start in hand, and I have also created a card like that for my own set (pic related).

Trying my best to keep the thread alive!

Sure. This one takes a bit of explaining, but it's a lot simpler when you see it in action. It's based around this legendary, Chrono-Assassin Moros. With this set being about time travel, bronze/infinite dragons, etc, I wanted some really cool cards based on that theme. My favourite idea was this one: an infinite dragonflight assassin who kills his targets by going back in time and messing up events so that they were never born.

Whenever you summon him, you summon a useless permanent (like the sherazin seed, impossible to get rid of) in one of your opponent's minion slots. And to be clear, that's not a battlecry, that's an effect that triggers any time you summon him by any means - if you make a copy with faceless manipulator, that counts, if you resurrect him with n'zoth or kel'thuzad, that counts, pull him out your deck with y'shaarj, that counts, etc.

Each time you summon him, Moros fucks with your opponent's past a little, and if you can block their entire board with junk permanents, you win the game, and the enemy hero will poof out of existence, having never been born. As a fun piece of flavour, each permanent you summon has a word on it, and if you can summon all seven they'll make a randomly generated message explaining why your opponent was never born. For example:
>Your mother died in a blimp accident.
>Your father never moved away from home.
>Your grandfather never asked your grandmother out.
>Your grandmother was unfaithful to your grandfather.
>Your mother was sent to a nunnery.
>Your father never took that wrong turn.

1/2

So in a Moros deck your goal is, by whatever means, to summon Moros seven times. There are a few ways you might go about this, and different classes have different tools to do it with:
>Rush to seven summons ASAP at the expense of the board
I think the class best equipped to do this is rogue, who have lots of ways to bounce him back to their hand, make 1/1 copies of him, duplicate the copies they have in their hand, shuffle several copies into their deck and fish them out quickly, etc. They'd get pumped by aggro, but against greedy control decks this could work.
>stall/control while preparing a combo finisher
Death Knights might be able to do this, maybe with Overkill (Overkill - 1 mana spell - Give a friendly minion “Deathrattle: Resurrect this minion.” Then kill it. Twice.) and their effects that make deaths count multiple times. Warrior could go for some sort of Sudden Genesis combo to summon Moros several times in a turn, and Shaman seems to be getting some tools in the new expansion that'd let them attempt that too. Miracle Priest might also make it work somehow. Also, in Wild, N'Zoth can summon one Moros for every one that's died so far.
>Use Moros without much additional synergy as a long-term win condition in a fatigue deck
This works too. If you're planning to play a 30 turn game anyway, you'll get to play him seven times eventually, and it'd hand you the fatigue mirror if you're playing him and they're not. Also, it's worth noting that even if you don't get the full win-condition effect, in some matchups it'll make a really big difference if your opponent loses most of their minion slots. Warrior, priest, and paladin would probably work for fatigue variations.

Also, see pic for an illustration of how the board might look when you've successfully prevented your opponent from having been born, in case my description wasn't clear.

bump while I read the other posts (its already on page 10)

Are locked spaces able to cleared in any capacity?

Nope, it's a permanent, nothing in game interacts with them. No health, no attack, can't be targeted, can't be destroyed, it's just a dead weight clogging up one of your minion slots.

I feel like a jerk.

>Whenever you summon him, you summon a useless permanent (like the sherazin seed, impossible to get rid of) in one of your opponent's minion slots
But man, you are chasing really bad ideas. This is awful, and if this was real, players would bitch and moan 24/7 about it. Hearthstone has emphasized that it wants to avoid dull mechanics that fucks hard with your opponent's ability to, you know, play the game. This card is a slow death that drags your opponent in a game where its each time harder for him to play. Hearthstone players do not have the gut for this, but even on games that are more open to such strategies like MtG, making a permanent "can't be undone" thing like this is really avoided. That is why WotC is very careful with land destruction and counter spells - because they actively stop your opponent from playing the game. That is usually very bad received by players.

Now, take note that all cards that do this "card on the board that can't be removed", are cards that lock your OWN board (the seed or that warlock portal, for example). Locking your enemy's board is really an anti-fun mechanic that will just ruin the game. Not only its bad in general, for any game, but particularly on Hearthstone where the game actively tries to prevent this type of interaction.

And note that you could still do the Chrono-Asssin Moros card anyways. The flavor behind it is still interesting, and you don't need to fuck with your opponent's board to make this card happens:
> When you summon this for the 7th time, you win the game.
> Deathrattle: Shuffle this into your deck.
There you go. The same card, the same flavor, without the anti-fun element.

Also, since we are already here... Fated is a terrible mechanic as well.

That's Yu-gi-oh (anime) tier bad design.

(ps: 'Upgrade!' is that 1 mana warrior spell)

But again, I'm not bashing all your ideas just to be mean and disrespectful. This is honest and sincere (though harsh) feedback. I was thinking about you last night, and I sort of had the impression (and still had) that it seems you are chasing some ideas thinking they are really innovative, but in reality, the reason why they haven't been explored yet is probably because they decided/realized they were bad mechanics, or simply not the type of mechanics they wanted for the game.

The whole selecting cards in hand thing, for example. I'm quite confident that at least someone over Hearthstone's headquarters thought about something like that. Its a really basic mechanic for a card game. Several other mechanics you showed (such as timer) probably also came up as an idea during development, but they all got shut down for a reason (might be the reason I said here, might be because of another completely different reason, but they had a reason to shut them down nevertheless). Hearthstone has an ideal, a design premise that dictates what they should include in the game or not. They could include literally almost anything, the game is theirs to do whatever the fuck they want, but they choose not to so they stay true to Hearthstone's core ideas (simplicity being one of them). That is why, currently, any effect that target one or more cards in a player hand, is done by random. Its not because they couldn't think about selecting the cards. They probably spent tons of effort trying to come up with decent ways to select cards in hand, and ended up is simpler just to go with randomness. All I'm saying is that this is not something no one thought about or no one knew how to do, but something they simply concluded was not worth doing.

I don't want to brag, but look at my cards. They are all quite simple, but they are also very Hearthstone-friendly. Some of them try new things, but things that I think Hearthstone would actually implement. In fact, I designed my set just after The League of Explorer expansion. You can see that through my cards, there are quite a few cards that actually got released officially afterwards on a real expansion (maybe the exact card, maybe the card's core with a tiny variation). That is because, when doing my set, I sat down and really put some thought to understand all the design decisions behind Hearthstone. I tried to get inside the mind of the designers and think like them. So in a way, I predicted several cards and mechanics, not because I can see the future, but because I was able to see the same road Hearthstone's designers were going, and being the same road, it lead to the same place.

You on the other hand, seems to be chasing things at random, shooting everywhere. Each mechanic or card I read from you, it gets further and further from what Hearthstone is supposed to be. You came up with a lot of mechanics that are simply not fit for Hearthstone. Not because they can't be done, but because that is not what the designers chose for the game to be. Maybe you would have more luck coming up with your own card game, where you can decide what road to follow and make a game that relies on the mechanics that you like.

This is my honest opinion, and I'm not saying this to be mean, disrespectful or to imply that my creation is better than yours or anything like that. This is my feedback as a game designer specialized on card games. I've been doing this basically my entire life, and I've built my own principles of how design games, specially when cards are involved. Like I said, maybe you would have better luck/fun creating your own card game where you have the freedom to decide what roads to take.

> Shaman cards (pic related)
Obviously, a lot of Totem synergy.

Anyone there plays DOTA2? I did some Hearthstone cards for the DOTA2 heroes. (part 1/2)

>Anyone there plays DOTA2? I did some Hearthstone cards for the DOTA2 heroes. (part 1/2)
lol. i selected the file but it didn't go.

part 2/2

lol @ that silencer bomb

>lol @ that silencer bomb
well, that is what the hero do. he silences everyone. as on dota2, its quite good against combos, if the opponent is holding up an important minion in hand

bump

bump

>be me
>trying to make the thread happen
>failing

>forget to attach pic
>at least no one is here to notice my stupidity

>BH
Thematically Stealth makes sense, but he's really only going to be played for the Battlecry. I would lower the cost by one, remove Stealth and making him a Rogue card, as he could be too powerful against aggro in most control archetypes.
>BB
Very nice. Maybe sounds like a Warrior card, but otherwise very good powerlevel.
>Clinkz
I like this. I feel like there should be a Stealth "bomb" card, and Rogue is a good class to have it. Would love finding this with "Atiesh" or "Free From Amber".
>Clock
Sounds like a solid, all-faction mech legend. That ability almost seems like it could belong to a non-legend though.
>Dazzle
I feel like Dazzle should be a shadowpriest card. Beyond that, he is just way too weak for a Legend.
>DOOM
lol kk Make it a Battlecry: "Your opponent cannot play spells, next turn." and bring his manacost down to 9. Would still be disgustingly powerful, but not end the game in his own.
>Huskar
Very nice. Good powerlevel when compared to other high-cost Warrior Legends.
>THD
Also nice. Would probably see play in certain Mage archetypes, like Quest Mage.
>Jugg
He's an 8/6 Warrior minion with a Paladin card ability at 10 mana cost. Overall he is VEEERY weak.
>LS
Very nice. If any class should have a lifesteal bomb, it's definitely Warlock. And at 7 mana, I think he's at a good spot.
>NS
Those illusions are fucking silly. Maybe make them 4/2s.
>OM
Really nice. 4/4 for 5 with an ability like that could probably see play.

>I would lower the cost by one, remove Stealth
I like to put extra stuff on cards with powerful battlecries to take a little bit of weight of the battlecry. Its a way to balance it. Also, what I intended with the Stealth is to make him be able to survive until your next turn so he can trade himself with something else.
> and making him a Rogue card
I have no idea why I didn't make him a Rogue card. It has been a while, so i don't even know if there's a reason for that or not (right now, I sort of agree with you)

>Maybe sounds like a Warrior card
Yeah, now you mentioned it, it does sounds like a warrior card

>Would still be disgustingly powerful, but not end the game in his own.
I would rather keep the effect. "Doom" is a very powerful "fuck you" ultimate, and I think it fits well like this. What I would do to balance is maybe reduce his stats or something, to make it easier to remove him with other minions.

>Overall he is VEEERY weak.
That seems the opposite of weak. Considering that a vanilla 8/6 would be good at cost 6, that is two 6-cost cards in one. It wreck the board and leaves a 8/6 behind.

>Those illusions are fucking silly. Maybe make them 4/2s.
I'm not sure how to balance this. I feel like they should have the same attack as the original, just so they actually feel like copies. Otherwise, they wouldn't share any ability and have all stats different, so they wouldn't even feel like copies.

Hey, sorry for the silence, been busy. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, here're some replies to things you mentioned.

>Locking enemy's board is unfun
You're not wrong about that. I'm very fond of Moros as a concept but I agree it has a great many rough edges. Making your change would get rid of the fun flavour of having the message spelled out, make it harder to keep track of how close it is to the win-con, and remove the element of Moros not doing nothing whatsoever to the state of the game until the win-con, which I liked - however, it would fix the anti-fun, which is important, and it'd also let you tune the number of times he needs to be played for balance rather than having it tied to the number of minion slots, which is nice. I'll definitely give that redesign some serious thought, thanks.
>Fated is bad
Fated was a necessary inclusion because I add new hero cards that always start in your hand. Without something stating that they always start in your hand you'd have one set of hero cards that always start in your hand and one set that don't, with no way of knowing which is which. I also think it was a bit weird having quests work that way without any explanation, and adding fated to all the quest cards that work that way opens up the possibility of having non-fated non-legendary quest cards in some future expansion.
That said, I did have an idea about Fated, just this morning actually. Having it as a keyword takes up an entire line of card text most of the time, and makes things very crowded, and once the game starts having it as a keyword will never provide you any useful information in the moment. So, instead, maybe it might be changed from being represented by a keyword to being shown by some other UI element on the card (maybe something like the gang symbols from MSoG). That way, you'd be able to see which cards start in your hand while you're making a deck, but it's less intrusive during the game. How does that sound?

>Hearthstone devs always wanted things to be simple
This is true - they were always wary about making keywords unnecessarily, and eager to keep things simple and focused. However, they have gradually got more relaxed over time and introduced progressively more complicated mechanics. They've added cards that pull things out of your deck, ways to resurrect minions that died this game (a pseudograveyard), the Discover mechanic, handbuffs/deckbuffs, and just this year they've introduced two important new card types and four new keywords. They're definitely becoming more open to adding the mechanics that they were careful to stay away from at first.

And I think there's a reason for that - Hearthstone only has so much design space with the simple mechanics, and though they've still got plenty to work with, they will reach a point sooner or later where their 20th expansion (or whatever) just doesn't have many fresh options available without raising the complexity ceiling a bit.

That's not to say you're completely wrong, some of my designs probably are too out there. Moros, as fond as I am of it, is one of the worst offenders. But I think what they've released this year is a clear indication that they know they need a little more breathing room for the long term, and for the most part I don't think my designs are the sort of thing they couldn't conceivably introduce in 2018.
>This is my feedback as a game designer specialized on card games. I've been doing this basically my entire life, and I've built my own principles of how design games, specially when cards are involved.
That's interesting to hear. If you don't mind me asking, what have you worked on? As for me, I do have an idea for a card game that I'm strongly considering trying to make (though, ironically, my game would probably be simpler than hearthstone is). Not sure about it though, I have no programming knowledge and not much self-discipline to stick to learning it.

Off to bed soon, but in the morning I'll get you the warlock/warrior stuff to look at. I think you'll like that a lot more, it adds a new playstyle and has some nice elegant design, without anything too weird.

bump

>Hey, sorry for the silence, been busy. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, here're some replies to things you mentioned.
I pushed you into make this thread, the least I can do is reply to what you post here. And again, all I'm trying to do is give honest feedback.

> I'm very fond of Moros as a concept but I agree it has a great many rough edges
The beauty of game design is how to resolve the issues the most efficiently. You pointed some real issue: tracking the win-condition, not only numerically but also perceive it in the game (aka, affecting the game more and more until winning). What comes to my mind is the idea of giving it +1/+1 each time you summon it, to both helps tracking it and to make it stronger each time. However, it might be hard to add this on the text with the two effects it already have. My suggestion here would be this:
> Battlecry: Shuffle a Moros from another timeline into your deck.
Something that Hearthstone has that is not a personal preference but I got admit is quite helpful sometimes, is the fact that you can add subjectivity to the wording (while card games like MtG can't). This gives us some room to work more freely. But back to the Moros guy, what the hell I mean with this ability? Your idea is that Moros uses time to fuck up his enemies. What I'm suggesting here is that you can make that every time you summon Moros, you shuffle another stronger/different version of Moros into your deck. These should always be on the same order, and each being more strong. Additionally, you can add something different to each one (besides giving stronger stats), so that they do feel from different timelines indeed. Here how I picture it (all for 5 mana and same battlecry):

> 1st/original: 4/2, battlecry
> 2nd: 4/4, taunt + battlecry
> 3rd> 5/5, divine shield + battlecry
> 4th > 6/5, charge + battlecry
> 5th > 7/7, elusive + battlecry
> 6th > 8/8, windfury + battlecry
> 7th > 10/10, "battlecry: you win the game"

So the idea I'm here is that each time the regular Moros battlecry triggers, it adds a stronger Moros to your deck. Though the abilities/stats are all just an example, its important that all of them are 5 mana, and each time stronger, because it starts becoming REALLY strong and overpowered (actually, probably the second one should already be above the power curve). That way, both players can actually feel the Moros power taking effect and stuff, because each time you drop him, he's stronger and stronger, and harder to handle. The idea of course is that each battlecry shows a "countdown" and shuffles the next version, even if you somehow plays the same version twice. For instance, bouncing back the 1st one and playing it again would shuffle the 3rd one (because the 2nd has already been shuffled), and now you got two different Moros in your deck and any of them would call the 4th one.

This is just a random suggestion I thought right now, of course. Some other similar option would be:
> Summons a different Moros each time.
> Battlecry: shuffles a Moros card into your deck.

That way, each time you actually play a Moros, it will be the next version. So if you play a 1st Moros (and shuffle another into your deck), then bounce it and play it again, the second time you play it it would be the 2nd version, even though the card was originally the first. Then, if you get the one you shuffled into your deck and play it, it would be the 3rd, because each card is not fixed to a specific instance and its dynamic (each time you summon a Moros, the Moros timeline counter goes up). This one might be even better, because your enemy would need to see all the 6 other Moros before the 7th coming up.

This are some suggestions of how I would handle such card. Again, the concept of the card is not bad at all, but I think your original approach wasn't a good way to go.

>Fated was a necessary inclusion
There's are issues with Fated. Basically, the way I see it, a deck can only have 1 "fated" card. I have done a "fated" card of my own (), and I wouldn't do it now that quests are in the game. The main reason is that its generally very important for a card game that you don't start always with the same cards in your hand. Otherwise, the game becomes more and more predictable, and probably less fun because of that. For instance, if you have 3 Fated cards in your deck, your hand as the first player will always be the same. That is waaay too consistency for a card game. Quests being "fated" is already a bold move, but now they did that, they probably won't release any other fated card unless its also a legendary Quest.

>I also think it was a bit weird having quests work that way without any explanation
It has a explanation - that is how Quests work. Its like saying that its weird that Secrets work the way they do without any explanation. Hearthstone actually decided to use your keyword Fated, but named it "Quest" and added additional implications to it. But again, now they did it, they can't simply add another Fated-like mechanic.

lol, didn't realize its the same card

>And I think there's a reason for that - Hearthstone only has so much design space with the simple mechanics
Its actually even more natural than that. Every game like this needs to push the design space with each expansion. Players expect that. Even though MtG was already a lot more complex from the beginning, it still pushes its design space with each expansion. The key is doing that while stay true to the game's core.

Something that is important to note about Hearthstone is that it avoids UI complexity. It avoids making the user click too many times. That is why we don't see multiple target effects - its either single target, or random multiple target. That is also why we don't see hand targeting or deck searching. Hearthstone sometimes abuses of randomness, but most often it uses it to avoid UI complexity and make the game flow easier. That is why I thought that selecting cards in your hand wasn't a good idea - that is a very simple premise and common to many card games, but Hearthstone decided its simpler to just roll with random selecting in hand (not only when discarding... cards like Alarm Bot are also proof of this).

>If you don't mind me asking, what have you worked on?
Uh, maybe the way I said it gave the impression that I was some sort of hotshot or something in the area. I'm not (at least not yet). Long story short, I graduated this year from university, got offered a job at a computer company as soon as that happened and I'm on that since then.

But basically, I'm aimless in my life right now (that is why I spend so much time here on Veeky Forums). Just as I graduated I ended up breaking with my ex, and since all my plans for after graduating was to be with her and move to her country, I'm now in a new stage of my life with absolute no clue of what to do next. I'm finding hard to focus and find some direction in my life, and some aspects of my personal life makes it even harder, though I'm optimistic that a few things happening next month will let me focus.

Answering the question more directly, I still haven't had a chance to actually work on the area, but this is my hobby since forever. It must be around 15 years I do this "custom fanmade card" thing, and I day don't get by without me thinking about something like that. A few years back I came to terms with it - game design is simply the default state of my mind, and crave it badly. I literally had a few awkward moments with my ex, because it comes to a point that I need to stop, put everything aside and work on a game project, any project. My mind requires that.

My true passion is for card games and board games. I got one card game (which, screw humility, is REALLY good), two cooperative board games and one war/strategy board game. Those are the one I got prototyped, complete rules and have playtested at few dozens of times. I restrain myself of making additional games because that is already too much for me to handle. If you want to check out by yourself, I've made one of my cooperative board games available for free as a print-and-play (fuler.games). This one is for 1 to 6 players.

bump before going to bed

bump

this thread has more bumps than my goddamn street

here we go again

> Warlock cards (pic related)
Nothing new. Since the set already goes for Demon synergy, warlock got a bunch of Demons and that sort of shit

bump 1/3

>leaves absolutely nothing behind! (Finger of Death)
Does this mean that the minion's death would not trigger its Deathrattle, or any effects that would trigger on a minion's death?

Why do you add the apexis crystal to your hand instead of it just having the effect happen directly through the heroism? for quest mage, auctioneer, etc?

>Does this mean that the minion's death would not trigger its Deathrattle, or any effects that would trigger on a minion's death?
It means the minion will be removed from play but it won't be classified as a dying minion (and there would be some neat visual effect of its terrible demise). What this means, besides the things you pointed out, is that the minion would also not be on the "minions that died this game" list, for any effect that cares about that. Its basically just a full removal, leaving absolutely nothing behind.

>Why do you add the apexis crystal to your hand instead of it just having the effect happen directly through the heroism? for quest mage, auctioneer, etc?
For a few reasons:

1) For starters, its a flavor thing, a reference to all Ogri'la quests on Blade's Edge Mountain that involves getting Apexis Crystals. That is why all Ogri'la minions give those.

2) We also have the mage class, which is directly affected by having a bunch of handy 0 spells in hand. Its supposed to combo with mage's legendary (), but overall, having free spells is really good for mage because there's so much synergy around it. That is actually the reason also why Mage has the Crystal Cluster spell.

3) There's a "hidden" mechanic in my set "called" Insight, which is basically effects that trigger whenever you draw a card (by hidden, I mean just like Joust, its not a keyworded mechanic but a recurrent one in the set). This means that many cards throughout the set benefits from drawing, so having a few 0 cost draw cards in hand can be quite an advantage in combination with some cards, such as Druid's legendary (). The druid one is just an example, there are other cards like that can really use some 0-mana draw.

Also, its a good thing that a few cards use the Crystal Apexis, so its easier for people to recognize the effect of it. But you know, these are some reasons for it :)

bump 2/3

Hey, sorry for the absence, I'm sorting the warlock/warrior stuff now

>Hey, sorry for the absence, I'm sorting the warlock/warrior stuff now
Got in just in time, I was about to leave my last bump here.

> Warrior cards (pic related)
I never liked Tanker warrior much, so I decided that warrior should be more focused on fury/arms. A bunch of aggressive minions/cards, and Sunder Armor to fuck with tankers with infinite armor.

> Discover a Stance
This should help out the Warrior to go for a more aggressive gameplay.

also, 3/3 bump, this is my last bump. I will still keep an eye on the thread, but i've done my part to keep it alive