Been wanting to get into MtG lately

>been wanting to get into MtG lately
>it goes completely to shit at the same time and the art becomes even more revolting than before

it's impressive how far they can push the image of MtG being absolutely butt-ugly in all forms

y u hate noggers op

I do agree there was too many samey looking noggies though, my fellow crop-mate.

a lot of the amonkhet block art was mediocre. ixalan is a lot better. in terms of standard, yes things have been bad recently but they are working on it and at the moment it is fine.

But Ixalan is also quite possibly tr worst designed set since BFZ. It's like WotC are determined to make sure that at least one aspect of every set is terrible.

>But Ixalan is also quite possibly tr worst designed set since BFZ.
it is? battle for zendikar was only like 2 years ago...

And we've had a ton of stuff since then: Return to Innistrad, Kaladesh, Amonkhet, and now Ixalan. That's *four* blocks, not to mention all the supplemental releases in that time frame (Masters sets, Conspiracy, etc). It's been awhile, in Magic terms, since BFZ.

Yea but Ixilan is great

Doesn't measure up to Kaladesh but like

Kaladesh is the sleeper Innistrad, wait 2 years you'll see.

Well, at least you had the decency to admit you have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Magic. That's commendable, I suppose.

Half of the reason people love Innistrad is the flavour, of which Kaladesh has basically none. Not to mention that no cards in Kaladesh were instant eternal allstars the way Snapcaster, Lilly, and even Past in Flames were. It has nothing to like or remember.

Fuck two set blocks. Everything about them has been awful so far.

I liked kaladesh's flavor. It was just a fun Ravnica really.

I like Kaladesh cards, but I hate the world so much.

People like Ravnica because of the guilds, of which Kaladesh had none. There were all these cool sounding and looking places that you'd see on one unplayable in draft common before getting another card with a planeswalker's name on it shoved in your face. I remember seeing a picture of some field that looked like a rice paddy but with the grass in big aether-like swirls. What the fuck WAS that?

Kaladesh was trash. It created a terrible Standard environment and continues to ruin that format even now. It had very little that was a staple in larger formats outside of Chandra and Fatal Push. It had minimal flavor (the entire plane seemed restricted to a single location that wasn't even well fleshed out to begin with) and what flavor it had didn't resonate with a large percentage of the player base (I hear more complaints about it than compliments).

>Fuck two set blocks. Everything about them has been awful so far.
Congrats, they're dead as of Ixalan, it's the last one. I do agree with you, though the issue isn't that they're two sets, it's that WotC can no longer design a good coherent set, instead leaning on gimmicks. They make gimmicks now, not solid and interesting cards. Look at most of the recent releases for proof of this. BFZ sold on "Eldrazi lmao", Innistrad 2 sold on "Eldrazi lmao again", Kaladesh was "energy is cool guis", Amonkhet was "Egypt is cool right?", multiple sets there leaned on Masterpieces (which got canned, showing how effective *that* was), and now we've got Ixalan with "pirates and dinosaurs are cool right?". Gimmicks, it's all gimmicks.

>Congrats, they're dead as of Ixalan, it's the last one.

>One set blocks (unless they pull out 3-4 sets blocks for some reason)
>4 rare lands cycles a year
>every top tier deck is 4c degeneracy from now on to eternity

There's too many rare land cycles in standard already.

Welcome to modern Magic, this is the world we chose when we supported WotC's products. Every time you buy a booster from one of these sets, you're telling Wizards that it's ok to print sets like this. Only solution is to not support it at all.

And the worse is yet to come, so says the Bible.

Ixalan is awesome, Kalashit only works with itself. It's like Kamigawa 2.0 with even less multi-format playables.

Implying they won't just print shit worse than Temples.
>Enemy BattleLands never
>Enemy CycleDuals never
>Full Future Sight cycles never
>Ally Fastlands reprint never
>Fetchland reprints in non-Masters sets never

You have to realize that BFZ was an historically atrocious set, and that the sets released after haven't been very impressive either. The fact that Ixalan manages to be, undoubtedly, the worst of the bunch is a way worse grade than it might first appear.

>The set with flip lands, 10/10 vampires, pushed merfolk, Spell Pierce, Chart the Course and Opt
>Worse than Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Aether Revolt and Battle for Zendikar
Lay off the drugs, if anything it's the only good Post-Origins set followed at arm's lenght by Shadows and Oath.

battle lands just rotated, cycling lands are still in standard. You have to give it time, look how long it took to print enemy fastlands. And future sight lands are questionable, they would either be op (grove, canopy) or shit (nimbus maze, river of tears). And fetchland reprints aren't out of the question, they were just in khans. I think they just learned their lesson about putting fetchable duals in the same format.

ixalan limited is straight trash though, just load up one evasive guy with as much aura/equipment as you can and pray you win the race. Hell, triple amonkhet was better and that format was just "curve out and attack past each other"

MaRo said if they make Frontier an official format it'd start at Origins because they wouldn't want fetchlands in it.

I wish magic would just reset back to Scars/Innistrad/RtR and stay there forever.

Merfolk and vamps are rubbish, spell pierce and opt are nice utility, but that's it, and while the flip lands are good, they don't make up for the steaming garbage fire that's the rest of the set. It's decent for standard, Opt is a nice bone to throw at modern, but the limited is utter, irredeemable trash. Bfz, Aether Revolt, and Amonkhet were varying flavours of weak to awful, but Hour is one of the best limited environments in years, and included things like Supreme Will and Abrade that finally pushed standard back to being somewhat playable.

>Kalashit only works with itself
>Ixalan is awesome
>kamigawa 2.0
Underpowered tribal garbage was exactly kamigawa'a problem. Guess which of those sets you mentioned that description applies to.

Good. Fuck fetches. Played modern for the first time in a month, and I'd forgotten the cancerous degree of shuffling that format involves.

Don't forget ally painlands. I just need some Brushlands for modern

>There's too many rare land cycles in standard already.
Bullshit, 2 allied and 1 enemy cycle is not enough. The only reason energy is even able to splash for Scarab God is because of Aether Hub.

>I think they just learned their lesson about putting fetchable duals in the same format.
Fetchable duals that can enter untapped is the bigger issue. It's still probably safer to wait until Amonkhet rotates out though, yeah.

You have it absolutely backwards. Please stop posting forever.

>Underpowered tribal garbage was exactly kamigawa'a problem.
Kamigawa's problem was caring too much about mechanics only contained within it's own block that didn't play well with either the block before or after.
Exactly the same as Kaladesh, EVERYONE who plays Standard wants energy gone NOW and to never, ever return.

Brushland is legal in Modern.

Explain how tribal pirates and tribal dinos aren't mechanics only contained within it's own block that didn't play well with either the block before or after. Also, regardless of energy, EVERYONE who plays Standard agrees NOW is the best standard has been since Origins rotated.

I know, I just don't feel right about buying them up when the enemy cycle got back-to-back printings in m15 and origins and cost nothing. Checking now, they've actually dipped a bit since Bant Eldrazi stopped seeing play. Now's probably the time.

yeah, standard looks good now compared to the shit we've had the past few years where they had to ban cards for the first time since jtms. Still doesn't hold a candle to any of the ravnica through innistrad era formats, which was (mostly) the golden age of standard.

Pirates and dinosaurs exist in other sets and the tribal support in Ixalan supports any tribe, not just pirates.
Energy is literally Splice into Arcane 2: Electric Boogaloo. Except this time it's OP and completelly killed any chance Amonkhet had to shine outside of Ramunap Ruins and The Scarab God because no Cycling/Eternalize/Exert/whatever builds can compete against Energy.dck

Blistering Hydra, outside of Kaladesh, is a 4 mana 4/3 that dodges spot removal once. Outside of Ixalan (hell, even inside of ixalan) Harold of the Secret Stream is a 4 mana 2/3.

Push is the best removal black has ever had and goes even in Legacy

Vampires are garbage, but at least the artwork is better then those steampunk dwarfs...fuck me I hated Kaladesh...

I liked the Aetherborn, especially the two vampire ones. But yeah overall Kaladesh's Aesthetic was ass.

Blistering Hydra isn't played anywhere but the parasitic Energy deck in Standard. Search for Azcanta is now being played in both Modern and Legacy, so is Legion's Landing.

If Kaladesh block had more Revolt and less Energy, maybe more cards than Fatal Push would be played anywhere.

>EVERYONE who plays Standard wants energy gone NOW

No, only stupid fucking timmies who are buttflustered they can't play their big dumb dinosaur and vampire decks want Energy gone now. Energy is fucking great. It's a new resource and it sure as shit outshines anything we got in Return to Zendikar, Return to Innistrad, Egyptian-land, and now ROFLSORANDUM island.

Only midrange cucks like energy. Everyone else is sick of the same brainless energy deck being tier one for 2 years.

energy while the ebst deck can be beaten, this standard is far far better then the mess we had before. Energy is ruining the format at the top levels, but at FNM standard is ok.

Everything is in 3+ colours because of attune and aether hub (energy). Well, that and the fact that a lot of colors lack ways to deal with stuff. If you need to kill stuff you're basically forced to play red for their single target removal or white for their boardwipes, black can't kill shit with cmc>4 (or >2 reliably) without needing 4 fucking mana.

Also green does literally one thing and that is did your mana for free and cub

I just realized that the never-mentioned and best reason to keep Core sets around was so you can wave Serra Angel, Air Elemental, Bolt, Giant Growth, Overrun, Vampire Nighthawk, and Doom Blade art in people's faces. If we're talking pre-M10 then cards like Terror, Wrath of God, Hippie, Incinerate, (angel and Overrun again), or Platinum Angel.

Sure, they appear in those useless intro packs that stores give away for free but nothing is as convincing as the art to those cards. And if it's not those cards then some equivalent like sexy-angel, edgy-vampire, green-going-big, burning something to the bones, or big imposing air-water thing.

If I looked at Khans or Amonkhet boosters as my "introduction" to Magic art, I would fucking not be playing this game.

>Not-mongolian block
>bad

That booster box art is extremely undermined by the pack art.

Note the utter lack of sex appeal on the clearly-women (inb4 assume gender) characters.