Weekend Warcraft Lore General

early happy thanksgiving edition

Warcraft lore and tabletop, as established in the board games, WC3:TFT, vanilla WoW, and now WoW: BfA.

>Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

programmingisfun.com/learn/c-sharp-adventure-game/c_sharp_06_refactoring/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

VOID ELVES MAKE NO SEEEEEEEEEENSE

haven't even played Legion so I cannot comment on the new reskins

>void elves
Holy shit this is a real thing.
Oh Blizzard, you so stupid.

Yeah, how could magic corrupt someone?

There's very little information on them, all that can be extrapolated is that Alleria likely trained them.

If I were to play Legion, what's the most interesting class hall between a rogue and a mage? Someone compared them in the last thread--I liked seeing Ravenholdt at the table, is there much exposition for these characters?

Here's the deal:
>Assuming void elves are blood elves
Why the fuck would blood elves ever follow Alleria
Why the fuck would blood elves double-corrupt themselves after seeing felblood elves, wretched, darkfallen, nightfallen and having the fucking Sunwell purified

>Assuming void elves are high elves
High elves are already so small in number that they took residence in human lands, playing as an even smaller fraction of a fraction makes fuckall sense
High elves have a strong dislike of blood elves due to them being crackheads, why the fuck would they become emo crackheads

Depends on what you're interested in. Do you want to beome an almost-Guardian of Tirisfal, or do you want to lead a shadowy cabal of some of the most dangerous people on the planet with a far-reaching intelligence network?

>class hall between a rogue and a mage?
Death knight
>Nazgrim force-choking bitches everywhere

>almost-Guardian of Tirisfal
That also depends--is Khadgar involved in much of the mage storylines? Never really liked the character after Blizzard added a voice.

Khadgar is involved in general, not just among the mages.

>Why the fuck would blood elves ever follow Alleria

She helps them control their reefer madness, and who even likes the Horde that much anyway?

>Why the fuck would blood elves double-corrupt themselves after seeing felblood elves, wretched, darkfallen, nightfallen and having the fucking Sunwell purified

Greed or by accident.

>High elves are already so small in number that they took residence in human lands, playing as an even smaller fraction of a fraction makes fuckall sense

Low numbers has never been a good excuse. So long as there's enough that you don't know everyone it's fine.

>High elves have a strong dislike of blood elves due to them being crackheads, why the fuck would they become emo crackheads

Accident or desperation.

Void Elves are such a fuck up DESU. Blizzard knew people wanted High Elves but felt they looked too similar, so the alternative is to just give darker skin tones and make up some crap lore? Them being High Elves would at least be a bit more acceptable, or give them High Elf skin options.

Nah, I'm happy obsessive high elf fags are getting tortured by Void Elves.

Mage class hall has best girl - pic related.

As sperg as it would get, Blizz might make some money again if they add optional romances to classes or factions like TOR did.

Should have been high elves, dark iron and broken for the Alliance, and Black Rock, Zandalari and the other Tauren for Horde.

I'm not even romantically interested, I just want to make her smile and pat her on the head.

>Broken were readily available right from TBC
>Add paler goats with gold glowy bits instead

>Nightborne and highmountain tauren were clearly uninterested in the Horde/Alliance wankery
>Make both Horde allies
>Completely forget about taunka

Not sure why would zandalari or blackrocks ally with Horde considering Vol'jin told zandalari to fuck off as his (and darkspear's) allegiance lies with Horde and not them, and blackrocks have their own Dark Horde and are constantly shown as evil fire-worshippers

If the Alliance received a full-fledged contingent of high elves, the Horde would empty overnight.

WoW has been a continuous fuck up since Cata.

>Nazgrim
my fuckin warchief

How could the Draenei immediatly understand common after the crashed on Azurmyst on a completly foreign world? Did they learn it from some of the survivors of the Alliance Expedition?

blackrocks don't worship fire, that are the dark irons. Blackrocks worship demons and want to return to the good old days of Warcraft 2

I think it's a very bad idea to try and justify any MMO mechanics in terms of the lore.
see: the current Horde and Alliance

>probably inspired from Kingkiller Chronicles
disgusting. Has this autistic normie trashfantasy also infected WoW?

Is it normie if you don't know what it is?

Do you think Warcraft IIII will retcon the MMO?

>Implying Warcraft IV will be a thing
Real-time strategy games are going the way of the dodo.

Don't say that...
What if they took the series another direction and added a lot more grand strategy components to the gameplay?

You mean make Warcraft a 4X game?

With a lot of narrative! Wowee.

Warcraft will be transformed into a text-based wacky romance sim focused solely on elves

Will there be goats?

That's what I'm trying to do now while learning how to program with something like programmingisfun.com/learn/c-sharp-adventure-game/c_sharp_06_refactoring/

How did the Forsaken forget Common?
How did the Blood Elves forget Common?
Why is it that Horde NPCs can understand Alliance NPCs and vice-versa?

Because it's a video game, and game mechanics come before lore always.

Inb4 Warcraft shooter "RPG"

Why has Blizzard the constant desire to make formerly evil factions more "grey"? Why is the Burning legion now on a crusade to save the universe? Why are the Elemental Lords now just poor misunderstood guys with bad communication skills? Why are the Old Gods now jobbers for more powerful beings that just want to free themselves instead of unknowable horrors? Why is the Void just protecting itself from the harsh and evil Light? Why is Illidan stylized into a heroic dindu nuffin? Why is Magatha allowed in the Shaman class hall after murdering Cairne? Why was Gul'dan rectonned into a poor cripple who became evil because others bullied him instead of because he was an asshole that did not gave a fuck about anything but power? Are there any original unapologetic bad guys left?

But Blizzard just gave Horde Night Elves whose only difference is a shade of purple darker and their eyes glow different colors!

I think the biggest issue is that now the language barrier between races makes no sense since there are Horde NEs and Alliance BEs, more or less.

>I think the biggest issue is that now the language barrier between races makes no sense

It's never made sense, it's there to stop griefing.

Did we really care about harassment in 2004?

Absolutely.

Since BC you mean
When Forsaken could speak common in the beta the cross faction abuse got real bad apparently

>Void Elf can't be DK or DH
>Maximum edge cannot be achieved.

>Why is the Burning legion now on a crusade to save the universe?
That doesn't make them less evil, it just gives them a goal beyond "for teh evulz." The Burning Legion is still a horrific entity that corrupts, enslaves, or destroys anything it encounters, and demons are repeatedly mentioned, even in Legion, to genuinely enjoy being malevolent.

>Why are the Elemental Lords now just poor misunderstood guys with bad communication skills?
Ragnaros is pretty explicitly evil, the rest were enslaved by the Old Gods, so they didn't have much choice in what they did.

>Why are the Old Gods now jobbers for more powerful beings that just want to free themselves instead of unknowable horrors?
First of all, source? Secondly, even if they "just want to free themselves," I'll direct you to the Burning Legion point. That does not make them any less evil.

>Why is the Void just protecting itself from the harsh and evil Light?
That's a deliberate misinterpretation on your part. The Void and Light are just fighting a war of balance like the light side and dark side in Star Wars. It's still pretty clear that the Void is largely malevolent and prefers to dominate its users, whereas the Light tends to prefer more passive control, Xe'ra being the only exception so far.

>Why is Illidan stylized into a heroic dindu nuffin?
That is bad writing, yes. I'm not 100% against the direction they took with him in Legion, but it DOES bug me that they either ignore or handwave some of the shit he did in TBC.

>Why is Magatha allowed in the Shaman class hall after murdering Cairne?
That doesn't really make her "grey," it's just a forced contrivance.

>Why was Gul'dan rectonned into a poor cripple who became evil because others bullied him instead of because he was an asshole that did not gave a fuck about anything but power?
It's an alternate justification for why he sought out power. Hardly makes him innocent.

does magic corrupt you any longer in nu-canon? I know that in the old rpg, magic attracted demons, but in Chronicles, demons found Azeroth because of its slumbering titan

How factions should be divided to make sense

The Undead get kicked out of the Horde and are their own faction. They are joined by Orcs led by Gul'dan (yet again) and part of the blood elves. They have exclusive access to warlock and death knight classes.
Blood elves leave the horde and join the alliance, Night Elves leave the alliance and do their own thing with Taurens and maybe finally playable furbolgs. They have exclusive access to druids
The Horde loses taurens, undead and blood elves, but replace them with Ogres and maybe Gnolls and/or quillboars or centaurs.
The alliance is exactly the same save they lose NE and gain BE

>does magic corrupt you any longer in nu-canon?

All the time.

>led by Gul'dan
as an undead, you mean? Otherwise, get out. Gul'dan is dead and should stay dead. Use Neeru Fireblade instead

>Blood elves leave the horde and join the alliance
I expect they still still blame humanity for the Scourge. Probably even more likely to have positive relations with the Forsaken purely because of Sylvanas and other Dark Rangers.
Also don't think we should group races together. Races should all have their own subfactions that do whatever makes sense politically. ie some tauren would stick with non-Warsong orcs

Gul'dan has had more resurrections than goku at this point, but ok why not
This is of course based on what makes sense. Sylvanas does not make sense in the slightest, even less so as leader of the Horde when she is actively spreading the scourge, the smae thing that literally exterminated the blood elves

Arcane magic? It doesn't seem like it, at least not to the negative extent it did in the Warcraft III-era canon. Arcane magic is now very associated with the Titans. That said, it's still mentioned that arcane magic can be dangerous if misused, but again, does not seem to be as bad as the old canon, like rapid aging.

Fel and shadow magic are still explicitly corruptive, though.

Blackrock and their Dark Horde did seem to go Twilight's Hammer thanks to Nefarian, then a bunch served Garrosh in his Orc Hitler phase.

Gul'dan has never been resurrected. WoD Gul'dan is from some other timeline, original Gul'dan was permakilled by Sargeras because he betrayed the Horde

>tauren leave horde
Nonsense. The Horde is literally the only reason tauren were not genocided by centaurs and quillboars. They lived in Kalimdor for centuries without getting closer to N.Elves than not so mutual respect.

I agree that ogres should be Horde since Rexxar punched his way into making them Horde. Your other proposals make no sense, even goblins who literally are Horde in cannon.

>The Horde is literally the only reason tauren were not genocided by centaurs and quillboars
They handles themselves pretty for several centuries
Tauren shoud've left the Horde when Garrosh killed Cairne. there is literally no reason for them to stay. Goblins exploit the land to the bare bones and pollute it, undead literally dissecrate everything they touch. A race so close to nature as they are should not tolerate associating themselves with such creature, even less now that a fucking undead is Warchief

Same reasoning with Trolls. being as spiritual as they are, they should never even allow the undead near them. Volj'in making Sylvanas the new Warchief is a whole new level of stupid

they would have if they did not learn that Magatha was behind this.

>Volj'in making Sylvanas the new Warchief

Worst part is that they'll never kill off that cunt. What I wouldn't give for her to be a raid boss that we slaughter.

#notmywarchief

Still, it's not that Garrosh ever said "sorry i killed your leader unfairly, i didn't know it"
Come to think of it, nobody ever aplogised to the Tauren for the death of Cairne

Vol'jin is playing 5d chess. Now, everyone in the Horde watches Sylvanas and she can't pull of her shady shit like she used to. If she steps out of line, she gets executed by Saurfang, removing the most instabile faction leader in the Horde and allowing someone more worthy to become Warchief

play End Times. Sylvanas is right there, together with Bane, Jaina and Tyrande

>Vol'jin is playing 5d chess
Vol'jin is dead
Also being in a position of power never stopped Sylvanas before. Only she cares about is either stop rotting away or spread the scourge so that she has more undead minions

>Vol'jin is dead
lmao as if anyone in Warcraft stays dead. He likely has become a loa or something.
>being in a position of power never stopped Sylvanas before
it didn't stop Garrosh, too. Look where he is now

Is Saurfang too old to be Warchief?
Is there a good reason that Saurfang isn't fucking Warchief?
Why can't we have Baine be Warchief with a strong base of advisors?!

>Saurfang stopping her shady shit

Oh yeah, he really showed her when she decided to piss off to Stormhiem to enslave the champion of a guy we're trying to impress so he can give us an artifact to save the world.

Saurfang doesn't want the job. In his words, he's a soldier, not a politician.

can't be everywhere, especially when you got to manage Orgrimmar and kill some demons. With the war over, that has changed

Because Vol'jin was smoking something dank and the voices told him that Sylvanas would make an AWESOME Warchief.

Saurfang is a war leader, he can't keep up with the economic and diplomatic side of being a leader. He's best serving where he is now.

Baine is still seen as too young to lead, even though he's beaten back the Grimtotem and helped Vol'jin retake Orgrimmar. Him and Anduin would get along too well and we can't have that for our perpetual war between red and blue.

>allowing someone more worthy to become Warchief
Rexxar for Warchief when?

Rexxar doesn't want the job either. He just wants to be innawoods.

I think Saurfang is a terrible watchdog even if he were established as the secret judge.

Garrosh got away with a lot of shit before he decided to step in, and he only killed a bunch of bugs.

It's a common theory that the reason why Sylvanas was made Warchief is because she's a "prettier" face to give the faction. So, there's pretty boy Anduin for the Alliance, and "'sexy' elf" Sylvanas for the Horde. Difference is, Anduin is actually likable and has more logical reasoning for why he's the Alliance's face.

I think Genn would have made a better High King. Which I still don't get why the Alliance were like "Hey the Horde has a Warchief as a defacto leader, why not name the human king our super leader?"

does that not run against what the Horde is? A bunch of more monstrous races united against a world that hates and misunderstands them because of past mistakes?

Tell that to the people who play mostly blood elves.

Genn has a lot more experience, but there is pretty good reasoning with Anduin in that he's well-liked by most of the Alliance leaders (Genn, Velen, the Council of Three Hammers at least; not sure where Malfurion, Tyrande, and Mekkatorque stand, although it can probably be assumed the latter likes Anduin, considering the dorfs' stance on him). Genn doesn't have that much public appeal.

Besides, Anduin is always willing to listen to the advice of the other leaders. Genn and Velen have done a lot in teaching him how to be a leader.

It does, but like points out, more people want to play "pretty" characters.

He's liked by the other leaders, but even people in his own city thought he was a little bitch.

During the Alliance quest, he takes a stroll through the city to visit his father's grave. Everyone, even the kids, think that Anduin was a terrible choice for king and wish Varian was still around.

Though I'm sure with the next expansion and the burning of the big tree, his approval rating will go through the roof with the common folks as he seeks to reunite the Eastern Kingdoms under one banner and take back ancient human lands.

>Sexy elf
She's literally a moving corpse why does everybody forget it

If only they'd said Supreme Allied Commander like they meant, instead of High King. Then Anduin being groomed for it would put him in the shoes of his namesake.

>Tyrande
Tyrande is a cunt anyway. Literally the first Sylvanas in terms of likeability and intelligence

Because she somehow still has perky breasts despite being dead for more than a decade.

Apparently decay itself has a soft spot for an ample bosom.

You expect her to have a big sword wound where Arthas stabbed her. But it seems like the sword only grants eternal sexiness!

>even the kids
The kids are innocent, but I think the problem there is twofold.

Varian's boots are huge boots to fill, and the last time Anduin was nominally in charge, Bolvar got bamboozled by a dragon. Every day he wears that crown, Anduin must surely remember what happened the last time he was called King.

This reminds me of something
Arthas killed her with Frostmourne. The sword who has the ability to steal the soul of those killed by it.
Why isn't Sylvanas affected? Or is she? Has she been a pawn of the Scourge all this time? It would make too much sense

That "corpse" is pretty much just an big-titted elf with blue body paint and red eyes. I'm sure she smells rancid and is off-putting in how she doesn't breathe, but if you're just going by the game model then she's pretty fucking hot. Would've been interesting if they kept her as a ghost.

Yeah, I'd much prefer they use Supreme Commander over High King. The former better implies the title-holder being an organizer of forces, whereas the latter implies, you know, being king of the Alliance, which is inaccurate.

Exactly, user!

I guess rotting flesh is not appealing for the average WoW player

Instead of stealing her soul, he decided to just rip it out of her body. Making her into a Banshee.

Plus by now all that shit is gone with the shattering of Frostmourn.

There is a ridiculous amount of lore in WoW now that I'm actually reading quests and stuff. I really want to run a game, but I think the problem with running wacraft is that WoW has set up too much of a sandbox precedent.

Arthas didn't lock her soul away iirc. He resurrected her as a banshee so he could have her witness her people's downfall (and make her have a hand in it). Sounds like a dick manoeuvre but if you played III then she was an absolute bitch herself during the campaign.

As for why she's still kicking around now, the Lich King's powers weakened and she was able to be rid of the Scourge's mind control. Don't have an answer for the sword wound though. Maybe she just had a really good doctor?

Why you do what the Warcraft RPG tried to do. The Alliance and the Horde were still around, but you could make any character and not be loyal to either. Not to mention there's no WoW faction war, so everyone is still on a rocky cease fire.

And with all the traveling adventurers, it would make sense why a human might visit the Crossroads, but wont be outright killed by the Guards.

I'd play it.

Yeah, it would make sense for players to be largely neutral, but have an option for racial factions for the purpose of PvP. Like, humans are still part of the Alliance, orcs are still part of the Horde, but after Hyjal, the two factions came to a bit of an understanding, so there's mostly peace and cooperation, but still some friction due to everything that happened prior to that.

So, a human could help the Horde with some problems in the Barrens, but there are still border skirmishes between the two faction's forces, like in Vanilla WoW through WotLK. Mostly peaceful, but with some abrasion, in order to appeal both what was established in Warcraft III, but also to players that would want a piece of the faction war from the first couple of games.

>Alliance
Humans, Dwarfs, and Gnomes. Later joined by High Elf survivors and Broken

>Horde
Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren. Later Joined by Goblin and Ogres, maybe sub one in for a pretty race or make goblin shortstacks

>Keepers
Night Elves, Furblogs, and Dryads. Later joined by Draenei and Worgen

>Everliving
Forsaken, Anubian (sp? the spider people) and Death Cultists. Later joined by possibly Vykrul and maybe Banshees for a pretty race.

>They handles themselves pretty for several centuries
No they didn't, at least not Cairne's taurens. Have you played the orc campaign in wc3? Taurens face extinction before Thrall saves them.

If anyone is wondering where Void Elves came from, Vereesa got killed by Sylvanas so the Silver Covenant has no leader. So Alleria took it over, taught them how to embrace the void magic like she did to help avenge her sister.

>make goblin shortstacks

I thought they already were. Got some pretty wide hips on that model.

Wasn't Cairne the one to throw the glove? It was his fault. Conpletely out of character, but his fault.