Is anyone else here fucking sick of hearing about dyson spheres? Every sci-fi thread talking about any colonization...

Is anyone else here fucking sick of hearing about dyson spheres? Every sci-fi thread talking about any colonization, who would win, anything military has someone just spouting off about "muh dyson spheres". " We have dyson spheres so we win and can do anything we want." or "they have dyson spheres so they win and can do anything they want." sounds fun..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HlmKejRSVd8
youtube.com/watch?v=yXWe8g0zziw&list=PLIIOUpOge0Lu97HzMt_BJu36UMaItB1cm
bluemaxstudios.blogspot.com/2015/01/nano-fic-windchimes.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well a dyson sphere is a logical endgame of any space faring civilization.
Honestly, the whole "we'll go conquer planets" angle is nonsense. Who really needs a planet? If you can move between the stars in any reasonable time frame, you probably can create indefinitely habitable structures from scratch asteroids and sunlight, so having a real planet is nothing but a novelty.
Maybe you'd go to a planet with an atmosphere to collect gasses but you'd probably be able to synthesize it.

And by the time you have fully saturated a star with Dyson swarm style stations, you've pretty much got a civilization that numbers in the quadrillions and is unrecognizable to current humanity.

>colonization

No you see, Dyson swarms are inevitable and by the time you make one you can also use you star as a giant solar thruster to push the entire thing in which ever direction you want.

You also forget that if you have enough power, possibly fusion, that every single habitat might as well be self sustaining for eons.

Plus you probably wont even need that much room assuming a species upgrades into a purely digital existence once that happens you can have subjective immortality because running a human mind at faster speeds doesnt take much more energy anyway.

Sci-fi is just fucking retarded in general. It's like fantasy but a bunch of nerds try to just make shit up to explain bullshit. At least in fantasy you have magic and we know its bullshit, in Sci-fi everyone tries to explain tech like its even realistic LOL.

LOL that's funny
have an upboat xD

I prefer Matrioshka brains myself

I am, so I hereby claim this thread in the name of hard science fiction.

I've been working on an Earth/Moon/Mars colonization setting, and one thing that's gotten me in a bind is medicine. Using current/near-future technology, it takes about nine months to get a craft from Earth to Mars. That's an awful long time to deliver something like medicine. The only solution to that problem I can think of is hydroponically grown medicinal plants, but
>A: it would have to compete with food production
>B: my players would just go "dudeweedLMAO" and stink up St. Augustine Station
Is there some other solution I'm missing? Aside from "don't go to Mars"?

build a hospital spaceship with medical manufacturing facilities in NEO
slap a rocket on it and fly it over

Hydroponics.

Even without the weed, hydroponics are quite possibly the only way to get medicine mid flight.

Dyson spheres are cool, and without high ftl they are the end goal of any space civilization.

Plus, ancient ringworlds are the best setting to run a game in.

Nope, not sick of them.

Excluding Dyson Spheres from sci-fi is like excluding dragons from fantasy.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

That's soft sci-fi for you.

Almost no one talks about actual hard sci-fi though.

Spoilers: Dyson spheres aren't a hard scientific concept. It's just pure speculation.

No, they're fucking cool and you're a dweeb for thinking otherwise.

What's cooler Veeky Forums Dyson Spheres or Kepler Rossetes ala the Known Space universe?

Synthesizing the chemical mix directly, without relying on plants. We're at this stage now for most drugs.

That's the point.jpg, user.

Science fiction is like a detective story. The author describes the world and starts the plot rolling, and the reader tries to guess what happens. Obviously this works better with fewer handwaves.

/thread

Dyson Spheres are actually not that smart of a thing to build.

Dyson Swarms are where its at.

Dyson swarms are a type of Dyson sphere. What you think you are being a pedant about is called a Dyson shell.

Here Veeky Forums I thought you may enjoy this.

Issac Arthur covers many science subjects, my favs are Mega structures and Aliens.

youtube.com/watch?v=HlmKejRSVd8

Oops didn't mean to reply directly to you user.

Hard sci-fi is boring and dates itself instantly

>22 / 5 / 16 / 1

Here is his Aliens Series.

youtube.com/watch?v=yXWe8g0zziw&list=PLIIOUpOge0Lu97HzMt_BJu36UMaItB1cm

I don’t like that most people say Dyson sphere when they mean dyson shell.

bluemaxstudios.blogspot.com/2015/01/nano-fic-windchimes.html

Is a Dyson Shell not a variant of a Dyson Sphere?

Good fiction can be enjoyed as a product of its time.

fuck your dyson spheres
to hell with your fucking ringworlds

oneill cylinders or bust ya fuckin tossers