/bgg/ Board Games General: Thanksful Giving Day Thread

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

What are you playing or who are you playing with today or tomorrow that you wouldn't normally? (American Thanksgiving and Kill each other Shopping Day)

Other urls found in this thread:

slugfestgames.com/games/rdi/
boardgamecaddie.com/
coolstuffinc.com/page/2663?&resultsperpage=25&s=bg
youtube.com/watch?v=jlaOJydljg0
kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journeyman/posts/2054276
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please don't use frogposts for generals on Veeky Forums.

fucking lame pic

>Playing
Dawn of the Zeds 2nd edition and if I'm feeling it a game of Death Angel.
>With who

my sister and her family are coming over on sunday so I'm hoping to get some heavier games to the table once the kids are squared away
Played Castles of Burgundy with my brother today and he picked it up pretty fast

Liberals, please.

I didn't realize that this general was for shitposting. Frogposters teach you something new every day.

You don't have to be a liberal to recognize these memes are foreign.

Today and yesterday I've played Rhino Hero, Camel Up, Kingdomino, Tiny Epic Quest, Carcassonne, King of Tokyo, and Pitchcar Mini with my family. Rhino Hero, Camel Up, and Pitchcar mini were big hits

>shit pic
>wrong last thread
If it's your first time posting that's ok, but maybe don't make the OP

> implying the one you made for this thread oh wait you didn't

If I'd known y'all'd get so triggered I'd have made frog meme starters much sooner.

You already know that's literally the only use of frogs on Veeky Forums.

Thread is DOA

Well, as mentioned by the frogposting OP it's "American Thanksgiving and Kill each other Shopping Day".

So, it's probably going to be a slow day.

Excellent taste in light family games, user. Which one was their favourite,?

Thanks friend, I appreciate it. Either Camel Up or Pitchcar Mini was the crowd favorite. It was actually the first time I had played any of the games I brought home but I had a blast with them all

Anyone tried the new edition of Twilight Imperium yet?

and here my family can't get enough KoT because you get to hit your opponents directly.

If your family likes hitting each other, I recommend Red Dragon Inn.

which edition

An user last thread was asking about Exodus vs Eclipse. Haven't played Eclipse but I just had my first game of Exodus last night, it was really fun. We we're all still getting our bearings but I think it'll be more fun on later plays, with more thought and strategy. Kinda wanna try the longer variant rules (9 turns instead of 7) and I'm hoping Edge of Extinction gets reprinted, because this is a game I could see getting mileage out of all those options.

It's not only liberals that are tired of your imperialist antics, pal. Believe it or not, there exists boards that don't share the /r9k/-/pol/ culture that other sites seem to believe is Veeky Forums's default state.

isn't mommy's little snowflake up a little late? don't want to be cranky in the morning!

Yeah - I was the one that mentioned Edge of Extinction last thread. I didn't realize that it wasn't getting a general print run (which seems odd since it does at a lot of flavor to the game). The core game itself is solid, and unless the '2nd Edition' of Eclipse makes some solid rules improvements (and not just a change of 'eye-candy') I'd still recommend Exodus over Eclipse.

Red Dragon Inn 4 or 6 will give you the best value

Red Dragon Inn 4 has a kind of mini expansion where you can play the game with Sea Events that spice it up

Red Dragon Inn 6 if you all want to play as villain characters instead of heroes. Also has mini expansion where you can play 1vAll mode where a villain character becomes a boss character by powering up his deck with boss cards. Also has rules for 2v2 and 2v2 with 1 player on each team as a boss mode

1/2/3 all have one character that specializes in defense so the rest of the players will have to team up a bit to make sure that character doesn't become one of the last persons facing off

5 comes in a fuckhuge box so it's not a good idea for a first purchase when you're not yet sure if the game will go down well with your group

Anyway, you can read more about the different base sets and single expansion decks here if you want: slugfestgames.com/games/rdi/

4 also comes with the best board game waifus

On a related note if you enjoy lighthearted bar fightan fun, check out Dragon & Flagon. Programming game where you're trying to show off the most during a brawl before the cops show. It's not quite as relaxed of programming as say Colt Express but not a total fuck you every turn like RoboRally. Plus all the fun of picking up a chair and getting ready to smash the person next to you with it, only for them to pull the rug out from under you, fall over and have the guy jumping through the air to tackle you from behind smash the rug puller.

>improved version

Just got back from the black friday sale at my game store. ...I'm pretty sure you hate all these games and now hate me.

Alchemists is an excellent, excellent game user
Never played Rebellion as I find it costs too much, buit I heard the expansion fixes many problems the base game had.

As for the DoW Flick'em up, I have no idea how its different from the normal game but it looks fun

DoW Flick'em up is my strangest pick by far. Was kinda my "I'm here for 2, better pick a third one that's free now". I've always wanted to get Flick'em Up but was almost certain I would never convince my group to play it from almost just the fact that it does kinda come off as a kids toy. This feels kinda like a compromise. Plus it's coop and my group is much more open to stupid stuff if it's a coop. Will post an opinion once I get a chance to try it.

Isn't Alchemists the one with the app and most people vocal here hate it?

Yes, but I suspect most of them never even played it and hate it just for using an app. because muh analog games, and smartphones probably not supporting the app in 10 years...which you could use a PC or compatibility software, but I do understand the concern.

I don't think I've seen someone hate on alchemists for anything other than it needing an app. I mean, there's even materials that simulate the app, but you'd need a fifth person who doesn't play the game to be able to use it

>which you could use a PC or compatibility software
PC's and compatibility software won't exist in 10 years.

In fact, they don't exist today. It's impossible to play any of the thousands of iOS games that have already been blackholed by developers failing to update.

(Example: did you know that there was a fully functional and quite good iOS Bohnanza AI? The digital monopolies and their walled garden will make sure that you won't.)

I didn't know rdi had a female Gaston.

Is new angeles worth buying if I already have BSG? How is it at 4 players

Actually, I have played it, and dislike it due to it's totally random nature rather than due to the app. Doesn't make it a bad game, but it wasn't appealing to me.

>Total random nature

...what? It's a deduction puzzle. Other than brewing water on your first turn that can set you back a bit, which is rare, I don't see how it's totally random in nature

A better/smarter player will win the game like 95% of time.

is the lower left rule 34

>tfw still play best diablo

also
>iOS
found your problem

so it's like mastermind but with an app?

Diablo or Diablo 2 but a board game.

Kind of...
the app generates a key and all the players are in a race to figure as much of the key as possible. Built around that is a worker placement where you gather resources, interact with the app to use combinations of resources to learn about the key, to use your knowlege about the key earn vp or money to get more resources.

could you elaborate on your experience with tiny epic quest? I'm still not sure whether to get that one.

does each player need a smartphone? because I game with people who don't have smartphones. what happens then?

You can pass a single smart phone around or have multiple phones using a code so they all will have the same random seed. As long as you have one, it works.

Alchemists is a fun game

OK on bgg.com is there any way to add number of players and length to games? Is there anywhere that lists this data (all most games as raw data) I could cross reference? I really don't want to have to type all this shit in.

I have all the games in my personal collection and in excel, but the only thing I can figure is to click each game, look up the numbers in the header and type them in.

Any ideas?

We only played one game and that was my first time playing TEQ so I'll do my best.

I'll admit that I did a pretty bad job at explaining the game, I didn't really figure out a good way to explain everything. I tried by just explaining how the day phase works and then left explaining the night phase for when we got there. I thought that wouldn't overload my mom and sister and give them some time to digest part of the game. This lead to the first night phase being a little awkward for both of them to figure out what their goal should be. As the game went on, they both slowly caught on and things became easier for them. My sister ended up liking the game once she understood it but my mom still had trouble keeping track of everything and got a little overwhelmed.

As for my experience, I enjoyed TEQ. I liked how you had to balance the amount of quests, spells, and goblins you got/learned/killed since all three factor into your final score. If you focus on only one at a time then usually you aren't optimizing the movement of your meeples. So I liked the mental exercise of trying to visualize how I can move my meeples in such a way that I can keep generating resources and extra movement while still advancing my agenda. The night phase wasn't as exciting for me because it was just rolling dice to push your luck. The dice rolled would either deal damage to you, give you more of the power resource (this can be spent to reduce damage, explore temples, or use the legendary weapons special powers), increase the magic track to learn new spells, let you deal damage to goblins (if you're fighting one), or let you explore temples. The closest you get to mitigating the dice rolls is by spending your power to negate damage done to you or helping you advance further in a temple, which was nice except that you have such little power to start the game that you really need to learn new spells quickly since they give you more power to spend during the night phase.

(1/2)

Advanced search, filter by collection

I'm not a big fan of the push your luck part of the night phase because if you lose all of your health then you lose your turn and any progress you've made. This is frustrating because the game only lasts five turns and by not scoring any points on one turn, that's 20% of the game that you've wasted which puts you so far behind that it would be difficult at best to catch up to everyone else, which I'm not a fan of.

The game ending kind of fizzled out instead of coming to a climatic finish, which was a little sad. There was no build up to a climatic finish (even though the game describes you as trying to save a kingdom) with some big bad. The game ending was like "we're all done with the 5th night so that's it, thanks for playing." So that was a let down.

The legendary items were neat but they seemed a little imbalanced. The shield let you mitigate even more damage for cheaper which let you push your luck for longer in the night phase. The staff let you learn magic easier, which gave you more of the power resource. The sword lets you kill goblins easier but the sword just feels like it's not as useful as the others.

The spells themselves also seemed underutilized to me. They gave you more power throughout the game and gave you points, but it didn't let you use magic to cast spells to affect the game, so that's more of my opinion.

I found on bgg a person has created a fan made final boss mechanic and magic spells to use so those seem like they'll scratch the legend of zelda itch for me a little better if I incorporate those (which I plan to).

Overall, I enjoyed TEQ and I thought it was a nice little game. It's not my favorite but I do want to play it a few more times to get a better understanding for it. I'd also like to incorporate the final boss and magic spells I found on bgg to see if they add more to the game play.

Hope this helped user and that it was slightly coherent.

is obviously (2/2) for

If you create a Board Game Geek account and list your games, you can use Game Caddie to sort your games by number of players, game length, etc.

boardgamecaddie.com/

You can put in any BGG user name on the board game caddie site if you want to try it out before creating your own account.

>>tfw still play best diablo
Enjoy it, because in 10 years nothing like that will be possible.

>found your problem
It's not like Steam is any different.

can't change columns can't display time only search by min/max playing time

>Enjoy it, because in 10 years nothing like that will be possible.
you keep saying that like it's true

nigga I still play the original lemmings I used to play on Amiga. emulating a shitty millenial cellphone like the galaxy Note 9 is going to be even easier. maybe you need to unup your head from apples butt.

it doesn't include wanted games. hmm I guess I need to get some gamestore trader account put it in then cross reference... might work, will update.

you, user, are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you very much.

The final boss mechanic you mentioned may possibly mitigate the flaw of games just coming to an end anti-climactically. Your impressions strengthened my scepticiscm - should the items really turn out to be unbalanced that would be kinda sad. I'm just looking for an rather easily accessible dungeon-crawly-kinda-game with customization options and certain depth.

Happy to help friend, it was my pleasure. I would say that the difficulty of TEQ isn't from complex game play, but from having so many options in front of you that it can be overwhelming to decide what you want to do on your turn. If you have people who can handle having lots of options and can spatially visualize well then you may not have too much problem with it being difficult. There is for sure customization with all of the items but aside from the legendary items, you have to hope that the item quest cards get drawn (I didn't understand exactly how quests worked so we didn't have as many quests completed as we should have). Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them with my limited experience

The solution to that is to create a 2nd BGG account and simply include your wanted games in that account.

I have no doubt that the physical box limitations are keeping TEQ back. Given that an expansion (or two) is inevitable, there's going to be a whole slew of things they do with the game in the future.

rate my christmas list faggots

>tfw a lot of what you want is OOP

Waterdeep, Mysterium, or Sheriff of Nottingham? Which one?

Want a new game for a get together with 4 - 5 friends this weekend. Most will have little experience with anything more complex than Catan.

Looks like CSI is having their 'Black Friday' sale - about 50 board games on sale:

coolstuffinc.com/page/2663?&resultsperpage=25&s=bg

Empires: Galactic Rebellion - now on sale at $35 from the original $150 retail price. (More than 75% off - ouch!)

Trains Rising Sun was just on sale at mini market my dude

>Betrayal at Baldur's Gate is already on sale
didn't that just come out?

It's a dogturd so they probably want to shift it as fast as possible before more people cotton on.

Pandemic legacy season 2 is also on sale, the legacy meme is dead! Celebrate good times!

That's Santa's problem not mine.

Will she ever return, bros? What happened to her?
youtube.com/watch?v=jlaOJydljg0

If those are your options then Waterdeep and Sheriff of Nottingham are better options than Mysterium(not saying Mysterium isn't good because I like the game) if your group has only played Catan. Waterdeep and Sheriff of Nottingham sounds fine for your group as it can get them eased into other games later down the track but these games will probably hold your group down for quite a while. Also some people just cannot get into abstract games either which is why I say not to get Mysterium just yet until your group has had a bit more game experience and you can gauge who would actually enjoy an abstract game.

Why am I not surprised.

>Persephone
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Holy hell, and here I was thinking this day wouldn't come.

Technically it's still nothing, well, maybe not nothing but it's not exactly something

kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journeyman/posts/2054276

Not to be 'Debbie Downer' - but weren't their original rules so bad that the fans essentially rewrote them? And then they sold 'v2.0' rules upgrade kits to those who already had the awful v1.0 stuff...

Why do you/do you not like card drafting in your games?

I actually admire this. This woman is a living embodiment of radical Ismaili self-enlightenment.

Oh for sure, 1.0 rules were the stuff of nightmares. If I recall correctly there was a trap that dropped you down a hole, and you had to score like 5 or so successes with dice to get out, but if you ever failed a roll you started at the bottom again. Essentially it took you out of the game.

You could tell that a lot of love went into the game, but when it came to rules writing, the devs were pants on head retarded. The biggest problem was the game should have been marketed as a sandbox rpg, but instead it was made to appear like it was a full adventure in a box. They later started releasing what amounts to campaigns that were warmly recieved, but yeah, it was a mess. The devs even outright said running a business one of their strengths.

The minis were nice though, and if you want to put work into there is a really neat game there. I was also a really big fan of their MERCS miniature game (the board game of that also had the same issue. Great components, lovely artwork, and...the shit who wrote these rules?).

I have no regrets backing journeyman, but it's cool now that I might actually get the other half of stuff I paid for.

is not one of their strengths*

>see price in check out
Why do stores insist on this dumb practice?

Could someone please tell me the price of:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures,

MAP deals, it's not the store it's Asmodee/CMoN/Iello/Mayfair

Oh, it's based on region? Ugh. What a hassle.

Not regional, MAP is minimum advertised price; in the contract to buy games from the publisher they had to sign a deal saying "I will not post sale prices less than X%/$ below MSRP" It's why you will never see a mayfair game more than 20% off, and why CMoN games hold their price for exactly one year before they drop.

That filename, I can't get this grin outta my face.

Just impulse bought Exodus for $50. How'd I do?

already have Eclipse and like it, but I find it kinda long and tedious at times, so doesn't see much play.

Exodus is paradoxically both more Euro-y and more political than Eclipse, but Eclipse is grander.

I bought Hive and Carcassonne new version including Das Fest tiles.
How did I do?

Stop looking for validation, you'll live a happier life.

I haven't used the Das Fest tiles for carcassonne but carcassonne is a solid tile placing game, I love using it to teach newbies. Hive has become one of my favorite games, I absolutely love it. If you or someone you know is a big chess fan, there's a good chance you'll love Hive too

>Exodus is paradoxically both more Euro-y and more political than Eclipse
>Eclipse is grander.

pls elaborate

thanks, bro. I'm looking forward to introducing it to my close ones this Christmas.
you are probably right. It was my way of contributing to /bgg/

It's been a hell of a long time since I've played, but in Exodus you select three actions for the rounds from cards in your hand which have a top and bottom half, you can do the top one for free and you can do the bottom one on other players' cards by spending resources (forget exactly what kind of resource), which reminds me of Broom Service or Glass Road (without the "if they played the same card before you it's you who gets the weaker option" clause), and instead of moving during the turn there's a simultaneous move system which occurs at the end of every round. There's also a dedicated political system where you vote for rules changes, though I don't remember if there's a deep alliance system.
On the other hand, The whole map for Exodus is laid out from the beginning, and honestly kind of boring, as every hex but the center is a planet with one or two resource ratings and a population rating. Eclipse is a far better exploration game, but the exploration is only the first third to half of the game.
If they made a game like Eclipse that had far more focus on the economy, the exploration, and the ship customization and far less on combat I'd have bought it by now.

The deduction is a lot of fun, especially the first 3 or 4 times you play. But the winner starts to feel somewhat random unless everyone is playing as conservatively as possible.

In the early/mid game, you'll have a lot of partially-complete deductions, where you've got a 50% chance of correctness. You can take a 50/50 risk brewing a potion for an adventurer to get a significant income advantage vs lose an action next turn for brewing . You can also take an even bigger 50/50 risk by publishing a theory to get a decent victory point lead (easily enough to win a close game), vs get a ton of negative points for a false theory. On top of victory points, publishing theories has secondary benefits that help you snowball and stay in the lead.

If you're not taking any risks, there's a good chance that other players will be able to publish theories before you do, making your deductions wasted effort (especially in a 4 or 5 player game, you have to get some lucky experiments to avoid getting theory-sniped).

If everyone agrees to play conservatively, the game kind of just turns into a mediocre worker-placement game. The mechanics hint that you might be able to deduce extra alchemical info based on your opponent's behavior but in practice it doesn't work. Experiment results and (most of the) ingredients are secret, so you're pretty much in the dark until someone publishes. The "hedging a theory" mechanic isn't viable as a misdirection or risk-mitigation (it's only useful for blocking/stealing a research grant). And once someone has published a theory, your research is too far invested to be able to change your strategy and remain competitive.

App is definitely a non-issue. Every time I've played it, we only needed to use 1 person's phone. Also, it's not like the app uses secret proprietary info: it's all explained in the book. You could code a replacement app in about an hour.

I bought FAIRY TALE for $15 today.

Wasn't on sale but
>2 left!
got me.

it's a fun lil deckbuilder

>You could code a replacement app in about an hour.

IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CODE

It's drafting and tableau building. The only fun deckbuilders are Resident Evil, Mage Knight, Valley of the Kings, and those weeb Dominion clones.

you forgot TtR

I own both Eclipse and Exodus - I think Exodus is the better rounded game, but Eclipse still holds a place in my favorites list because of the things it does well.

I like Fairy Tale - of course I own the game and my buddy loves it (and usually curb-stomps me and everyone else at it - go figure).

>IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CODE

Why we'll still be playing Carcassonne 50,000 years from now.

>forgetting both TI3 and Summoner Wars