Competitive modern general

Thoughtseize edition

Playing?
Hating?
Brewing?

What is your opponent gonna see when they seize you and what don't you want them to take?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-11-17-orzhov-deck/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What is your opponent gonna see when they seize you and what don't you want them to take?
Hierarch/Birb, Queller, CoCo, Voice, 2-3 lands. I hope they leave the dork, even though it's probably just eating a Push/Path/Bolt.

Ban lightning bolt

Reposting cuz thread died as I posted last time

C&C Please

I specifically need help with the cavern of souls matchups, humans and eldrazi. Everything else is relatively easy to beat.

// faeries

// 2 Artifact
//

// 60 Maindeck
// 4 Artifact
4 Vedalken Shackles

// 11 Creature
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Neurok Commando

// 20 Instant
4 Mana Leak
4 Spell Snare
4 Cryptic Command
2 Spell Pierce
1 Remand
2 Opt
3 Peek

// 25 Land
4 Mutavault
1 Faerie Conclave
8 Island
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Ghost Quarter
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
2 Field of Ruin

// 15 Sideboard
// 4 Artifact
SB: 4 Engineered Explosives

// 2 Creature
SB: 1 Neurok Commando
SB: 1 Filigree Familiar

// 5 Instant
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 4 Ceremonious Rejection

// 4 Sorcery
SB: 2 Kefnet's Last Word
SB: 2 Entrancing Melody

U S E T A P P E D O U T O R G O L D F I S H

laughinggalvanicblast

umm, steam vents, gurmag, delver, 2 bolts, a yung pyromancer and a island

>Playing
Eggs
>What is your opponent gonna see when they seize you
Mox Opal, Darksteel Citadel, Glimmervoid, Scrap Trawler, Ichor Wellspring, Krark-Clan Ironworks and Ancient Stirrings
>What don't you want them to take
Scrap Trawler most likely since it's what enables me to go through my deck effectively.

>Thoughtseized

Jokes on you faggot, I got 7 lands in hand just like Wizards of the Coast intended me to play.

>What is your opponent gonna see when they seize you and what don't you want them to take?
1 lightning bolt, 1 lava spike, 1 rift bolt, 1 arid mesa, 1 goblin guide, 1 Swiftspear, 1 Wooded Foothills. Take whatever you want buddy boy

Ban chalice

is coco not good for 5c humans?

>putting CoCo in an aggro deck
This is why everyone says Veeky Forums is bad at magic

The *correct* play here is to take Swiftspear, but as an experience burn player I would advise they take Guide.

I had almost given up on this list, but then I moved all the land destruction to the side and put whacks and sweatworks brawlers in. It's actually winning hard right now and the turn 3 kills are much more consistent.

Looks pretty fun. I'll buy it for a friend.

how does Deflecting palm work against an attacking creature with Double Strike?

Deflecting Palm will prevent and reflect the first strike damage, but will not prevent or reflect the normal combat damage. as it only deals with one instance of damage (specifically the next a source would deal) and first strike and regular combat damage are two separate instances.

This is actually pretty clever

Ok I need some advice on dealing with storm with monowhite death and taxes. It feels that my disruption does slow their gameplan early on but not enough to stop them from either killing me or wiping my board. It feels really though to kill them before that happens. I figure rule of law is a good sideboard in this match-up, but how many copies should I go with? Also, is Eidolon of Rethoric worth it? It feels too slow to stop them.

Thalia usually prevents them from storming off on turn 3, and eidolon stops them dead/doesn't die to bolt. That backed up with RiP and/or surgical is usually enough in my experience, but I do eldrazi taxes so yrmv

Eidolon costs the same as rule of law and isn't slowed by your own thalia, so there's not much reason not to run them. Rule of law has the advantage of not dying to dismember, but every other piece of interaction storm has either hits both or neither.

Jesus I'm stupid I thought Eidolon was 4 mana for some reason, you're right.

When pic related is cast from exile, `can I spell queller it?

Spell queller exiles the spell, so he can be casted nevertheless

Figured, how the hell do I deal with this card as jeskai tempo/control?

Wrath effect.

Block with Collonade, Wrath or Blessed alliance provided they aren't playing a way to recur it from the GY like relic.

>implying lands is playable in moder

I've kept 7 land hands as amulet titan. Something like 2x bounceland, garden, cavern, 2x tolaria west, gemstone mine would be reasonable vs jeskai.

Please post this on /hr/.

ok

Alright, I chuckled.

Pretty sure 5c humans doesn’t run coco because the mana base doesn’t mix well with non-creatures. While the 3 color decks can more reliably create the green mana through more normal lands

Not when you're running 4 of Caverns, Ancient Ziggurat and Unclaimed territory. The manabase doesn't work nicely with colored non creature spells so they run vial instead. Vial also works better with thalia and provides tricks with kitesail and reflector mage.

I feel like the nig emojis are required when you post something this artifacted desu.

Ban Tron

Ok so what is the worst match-up in the entire meta?

Fun vs tron

>first time against tron
>the concept of fun itself is stripped from my soul and put into an impenetrable cage of contempt, despair and sadness; I shake my opponents hand after loosing two games in a row without doing anything, thoughts of suicide go through my head, I ask myself why did I start playing magic in the first place, I feel my brain cells dying
>a few hours later, top 8 is announced
>the entire top 8 is tron players
>Phillip Glass' Kooyanisqatsi starts playing, I feel the emptiness inside my heart consuming everything from the inside
>I rush into card kingdom and buy a playset of Karn Liberated after going back home

This is probably the spookiest card concept I've ever seen.

Good guy affinity players preying on tronfags with auto-win game 1's and blood moon g2's

>get chaliced for 0 and 2

What's the funnest deck to play against? I want more people to duel me and want to rematch me more often.

Currently building a (relatively) budget version of UB Faeries. Should I use Opt or rather SV?

Opt every time in Faeries.

Is wildfire a good deck to give people who want to learn how to play?

No, but intro and casual decks are

Any deck not piloted by (You)

Any modern night results?
Went 3-1 piloting Boros burn
Beat goblin tribal (not 8whack), Boros burn, and gds
Lost to fucking 5c humans because taxes aren't good wholesome fun

Can anyone help me fix this deck idea? Any help would be appreciated. I also need suggestions to replace Death Grasp, since I just recently found out it is not modern legal.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-11-17-orzhov-deck/

Thanks

I've been playing a lot of Jeskai Azcanta Control and do love it, but my baby has always been esper. I just love black hand disruption and removal.

Brewed this list and gunna put it together for tournament next tuesday. I think it will probably be worse than jeskai, but still more what I WANT to play. (The sideboard is specifically targeting my local meta before you make side suggestions)

Random rules question, how does rebound effect escalate cards?

I play Death Cloud and people always want to play me

Just play Esper Draw go instead. The list you posted is all over the place and has some pretty bad standard cards like Glimmer and Gearhulk, as well as cards that are out of place in this type of control decks like seize and collective brutality.

inq is better

So Seth (better known as SaffronOlive) piloted a jank-ass 5-color Zubera build that seemed like a lot of fun, 5-color humans is getting a lot of play, and there is even a 5-color Sliver deck floating around in Legacy right now. It seems like we've hit a critical mass of Rainbow Lands for tribal builds in the Eternal formats, what janky 5-color tribes would you like to see built?

5c allies will top 8 the next big modern event quote me on this

Dear Tron players, don't get mad, but I really hope, even if the chances are very low, that Urza's mine gets banned sooner or later.
Tron seems to be not a huge problem in big events, but it is a lot worse when it comes to locals. Me and a lot of friends are very tired of Tron builds, too punishing for fair and interactive decks that we love to play. Don't need to say Tron is not an unbeatable deck, it is unbeatable for certain archetypes and it is a deck that gets free wins by just opening self-play hands. Every single Tron player in my town have a really difficult time piloting other decks because they're used to win by smashing Karn on turn 3 and Ulamog on 4. One guy in particular, so skilled that uses -2 Ugin's ability to get rid of a SINGLE Thalia on the field, keeps winning with no effort, causing about 1/2 of our local players (which play midrange-like strategies and mid-speed aggro decks) to lose without even the possibility to fight back.
How much butthurt are we? A lot. There's nothing wrong about losing, is part of the game. We don't think we are top skilled players, but it is frustrating to lose because you don't have the chance to, instead of losing for the superior abilities of your opponent.
People seem to love Tron so I know I'll get flamed. I have all the cards to build it btw, but I'm not willing to.

>tfw you love playing big dumb artifact creatures but hate Eldrazi and colorless Planeswalkers on a flavor level
>Tron will likely eat a ban because of their sins of design

Feels awful man. Nobody appreciates Mono U Tron.

because condescend, mindslaver, academy ruins is interesting?

everyone should just concede to the tron players. you're clearly overmatched.

>the virgin midrange
>the chad urzatron

U tron is the only acceptable form of Tron desu, it'll have to die for other decks sins unless WotC decides to print something that could make Tron somewhat beatable for fair midrange (unlikely) so we don't have to use sub par shit like GQ + surgical or stony and pray. I wouldn't be complaining if it were simply a bad matchup but Tron is so polarized it's sickening and I don't think that level of polarization is healthy for a metagame since it steers it in a certain direction because it can't be sideboarded against like Affinity or Dredge. I'm not saying we need something that obliterates Tron like Stony does to Affinity and RiP does to Dredge either, just something that makes it so it isn't a 10% chance of winning for the decks that get smashed G1.

>something that makes it so it isn't a 10% chance of winning for the decks that get smashed G1

d&t has good game1 if you're built correctly, so you should just jump on the d&t train.
>revoker
>thalia
>gq
>selfless
>sculler*
>tk seer*

How much so you guys think Iconic Masters will fall? I'm not an (((investor))), I just want to pick up some cards for as cheap as possible to play and I don't want to miss the window.

2 weeks to a month after release. i'd buy soon.

Personally, I see it being like Eternal Master given its absurdly high print run, so we might see anything other than the "money cards" (Mana Drain and Aether Vial) continue to plummet in prices over an entire year.

>you should just play another deck
I'm aware that there are decks that have good matchups against Tron thanks. The whole point of that post was that the decks that don't literally can't beat Tron the majority of the time since sideboarding doesn't really do anything against Tron since the beest strategy to beat it, is to go under it.

you should just concede to the tron player. everyone should. maybe they'll stop bringing tron if nobody plays with them?

or you can git gud. i only ever see scrubs and wannabe grinders complain about tron. you don't wanna be a scrub, right?

>or you can git gud. i only ever see scrubs and wannabe grinders complain about tron. you don't wanna be a scrub, right?
Not an argument, It has nothing to do with "getting gud" you fucking retarded namefag, I already outline some off the problems with Tron variants in my original post and it has nothing to do with skill level, but everything with shit design.

i'm not arguing. it isn't a discussion. i'm telling you to get good or fuck off. it's an ultimatum.

Drop your name or fuck off to Legacy general fag

no

And I'm telling you it has nothing to do with skill you fucking faggot, way to completely ignore my post stupid namefag. You're the one who should fuck off if you don't want to discuss modern and just say "jus git gud scrub hah". That shit might fly on /v/ but it doesn't do so well here.

Fuck off to and don't come back

Honestly you shouldn't even give him (you)'s desu, it's what they feed off of.

Enchantress gets the most casual bouts but you'll have to deal with cheeky fucks mainboarding back to nature.

don't forget ur pushes

Tron dumb. People who play it are dumb. This is known

What is this Eldrazi for ants?

>i'm telling you to get good or fuck off. it's an ultimatum.
Woah what a tough guy

lads i'm getting into magic soon, bought tow premade aether revolt decks (ajani and tezzeret) and im going to the game store to try them out, any advice?

Google MtG Modern and realize you're posting the wrong thread. If you take those to modern night you will get stomped by even the lowest meme decks.

Ask lots of questions if you are unfamiliar with the format or what people are playing

Maybe make a budget modern deck first?

+ other side

Sorry user but huntmaster is a girl now. We's promoting diversity.

>Changing card art from old dudes to hot white chicks
I'm okay with this.

But have you seen the women in recent sets? The only hot chick recently was that snake mana dork from Amonkhet. I wonder what her cloaca looks like haha.

How much would getting into modern play from scratch cost do you guys think?

Depends on what deck you want to play. Mono red burn and Mono green stompy are cheap, but ETron and Affinity will run you into the 600-800 range.

I don't have to think I can look up prices on mtggoldfish and the like

Look at the Mtgoldfish link in the OP.

>Mono red burn
I thought that had been upgraded to boros burn.

Boros burn is a lot more expensive, not really a budget deck anymore.

How do decks that run 4 Heirarch and 2-3 Birds manage to actually win when half their deck is mana?

Holy shit Rakdos Burn is so much fun
Claim to fame is my new favourite card that doesn't deal direct damage.

The other half is high value creatures and CoCo

>Thoughtseize edition
Holy fuck my buddy just gifted a playset of these badboys and I really want to make a modern deck with them.

Any suggestions for a jank-master with a fuckton if edh singles? I've never played constructed modern before.