ITT: Demons

Where do they come from in your setting?

hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you were a demon in hell, where would you say you came from?

They're aliens, who colonized the Moon. They monitor humanity and occasionally intervene by creating conflicts in order to disrupt status quo protected by another alien species, who people think are celestials.

They come from hell, a vast multi plane, with demon Lords and Devils and layers n shit.
Demons are either born in deep hell pits from some massive brood mother thing, or formed with evil magic.
Devils are born from devils.

Hell, dumbass.
>If your from X where would you say you came from?
I would say I came from X unless I was lieing, and I wouldn't lie without reason, unless my character had a compulsive lieing disorder, but the disorder would-be my reason to lie.

They are born from the dark things men and women cast away from themselves, when they wish to grow into more idealized versions of themselves. There's an impulse to give the darkness a sendoff. A name and a form. That's where all demons originate from.

The Void, they're garbage leftovers from when a world is uncreated. Quite pitiful really, especially when the more intelligent ones realize their army-killing power of destruction is worthless compared to a sick peasant whistling a tune.

I seriously like the man-vs-himself Moorcockian thing they go for in Warhammer. You know, with demons being human emotions, hopes, nightmares, sins, given form and coming back to haunt us.

They are dark counterpart of angels (obviously), both made by the same gods. Angels are like maids basically, while demons exist to keep the Nightmare (primal force of destruction) at bay. The thing is, most people think it's the demons that are bad guys.

Mine are from the planet Gehenna, which is exactly parallel to Earth at the times of the winter and spring equinoxes. They are naturally born with the capacity to use magic from inside (which in this setting is using energy from the Abyssal dimension to flaunt the laws of the universe) while humans draw it from their surroundings instead. The rules difference is that Demons are better at learning personal enhancement spells, while humans are better at physical spells. The only way to get from Earth to Gehenna is to go on the day of the Equinox, and even then it takes 6 years, 6 months, and 6 days to get there. Demons are naturally long lived, physically stronger than humans, but are extremely culturally rigid and prone to violence.

Demons originally were the gods that lost the cosmic war and were sealed within a prison that is half the corpse of their mother. Since then they have seeded their own lesser demons.

Basically Hell.

Childrens misbehavior

Every time a kid does a prank or something, a prankster demon is born and so on. The worse the deed is, the worse the demon is. So a kid who murders 15 people is going to spawn a powerful evil demon. The more powerful demons eat the lesser demons to contain the population.

They come from the past and try to evade judgement day by travelling to the future were they try to posses humans to change their fate.

System is 5e D&D if that helps with context.

Demons and Devils are the two sides created by a massive social/cultural split in Hell/The Abyss/The Lower Planes. They're their own race of higher being (fiends), but devils are all about conquest and rule of law, while demons prefer destruction and domination by strength.

The two are constantly at war, with various levels of the lower planes (of which there are thousands) regularly changing hands. The most powerful fiends claim mortal souls as their own, and battle with the celestials of the upper planes for ownership of said souls. "Souls" are more like life force than the sentience of sapient creatures, though the two are tied together in the case of humans, elves, orcs, etc.

Denizens of the upper planes desire souls and spirits to protect them, expand their kingdoms, and to be worshipped, while fiends of the lower planes literally use them as food. Their bodies are less static than mortals, and they can change them at will. The more souls they devour, the more physically and magically powerful they become.

As of right now, nonsentient mortal souls all go to the hells. That's part of the fragile armistice that's existed for centuries between the two groups. Animals, plants, and other lesser beings go to the lower planes, and the higher mortals get to go through the celestials' picks first. If nobody wants to claim the spirit of a mortal (with more than a hundred different gods this is kind of unlikely), then the fiends get it. Of course, rituals, sacrifices, and willingly surrendering your soul in a deal to the devil bypasses this restriction, so demons and devils are both big on getting mortals to give up their spirits+souls directly.

fuck if I know, but usually from below, and they also like blood sacrifices a lot

>related picture

Demons in my setting are embodied persons as concept.

More specifically, if a person in life came to be known far and wide as perfectly representing a concept (discretion, love, decisiveness, creativity,humor, etc), then upon death, their patron deity would offer to imbue them with a shard of divine power. They would be bound to a specific site, usually one of a series of thousands of identical shrines made of holy rock, that would then become their domain. they would be able to do anything a God could do in that place except create life or raise the dead. They could phase through to the afterlives of their species whenever they wanted, and would return when somebody entered the shrine. In return for a small offering (no two demons wanted the same things), they would offer to read the souls of the mortals who had come to them and, and then apply their knowledge to that person's problem. They're also extinct, since the psychic shockwave that killed the Gods did a number on the demons who the Gods had created them. The only two survivors were trapped in magic prison shards; tiny pieces of glass containing an endless void. One died on release, the other was the elf Demon of Discretion, Kerin, who made it back to his shrine and now runs it as a chapel. Because the Gods are dead and the demigods aren't as powerful as demons, he's suddenly the highest-level being int he setting by a LOT.

This version of demons are inspired by the original Greek version, daemones or daeimons, only with a physical body rather than being a disembodied spirit.

Some - the eldest and the most powerful - are fallen angels. The rest are humans who have been corrupted(which can happen in a variety of ways, but all of them include spending time in hell while you're still alive).

me too

Beings of pure entropy, only given form and will by humans naming and contracting them

Lying

I think the other guy is asking if Demons use the same name as mortals do for their hell. Like mortals might just call it hell based on their earthly religion, but maybe the demons call their home "Zeshmet's Palace" as they view hell as some kind of cool castle.

In our setting demon's are the larva of insects that feasted on the corpses of the dead first generation of gods. So all the demons we meet are based off different insects, and have east Indian ascetics. Flies and ants are the most common, with more exotic species forming the stronger demons.

They come from the setting's Hell, a pocket dimension created by the two creator gods to incarcerate their children, the titans,
Some demons are fallen lesser gods , corrupt angels and stuff; these are the Seven Lords of Hell and their lieutenants. Most of them, though, are the souls of mortals (from the setting's plane and other), twisted and tainted by imprisoned titan's hate and anger towards their parents (that's why demons want to destroy everything).
Hell is disc-shaped world, surrounded by the abyssal sea, the encircling the world. In the center of the disc there's a huge ass mountain (actually, a fortress carved from the fossilized bodies of long dead titans); that's the Black Citadel of Pandemonium, seat of the Devil's throne, and prison of the dead god, held hostage by The Fallen Angel himself.
Hell evolved its own life forms; born from the titans' blood, and shaped in the likeness of mortal creatures, both flora and fauna.