Okay, I need

Okay, I need
I need unconventional rpg conflict resolution mechanics!

Other urls found in this thread:

therpgsite.com/showthread.php?21479-Design-Alternatives-Analysis-Archive&s=0ea29e450120d2e7d0d05d1aca4025c2
necropraxis.com/2012/11/29/2d6-fantasy-game/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Conflict between players?
Have one roll a 1d4. If a 4 is rolled, whoever secures the die (conveying if with the hand) succeeds. If any other number is rolled, the other player rolls the die, repeating until a victor is made.

No, I mean, core mechanic. Like rolling a dice over or below a threshold, but that's boring.

Time Wizards have a great mechanic called "Slapping Phase". Initially, each player has a number of different dice which he can contribute to the potential rolls. Each player throws as many dice on the table as he wishes, then the slapping phase begins. Each player who wants to roll high needs to slap the dice on the table with his one hand, and hold it there. Whatever dice remain under his hand when the phase ends go to his dice pool. Other players can do the same or be complete dicks and slap the player's hand instead. Try slapping someone's hand when it's over a couple of d4s and look at their reaction.

Check out Dread or Misspent Youth

Talking about the issue and coming to a consensus together.

I don't think she's wearing anything under that...

What the fuck is going on in this image?

Battle Royale

Rolling two dice, first dice goes under a threshold, second dice value PLUS first dice value needs to go over a threshold

rolling a dice pool, pairs or more of results are a success or useable, either the valeu of the pair is a result from some table which detirmines what sort of success it is, or you multiply the number of matching dice by the value of the matching dice (so a pair of 3s is 6, a triple of 5s is 15 etc...)

absolute success dice pool - roll dicepool, number of dice with a specific number counts as success, difficulty of task is equal to the number of dice you need in your success pool.

Crit only - stats are dice, starting with D12, each increment of improvement of those stats decreases the size of the die because you want the highest number only (or a range near the high end, generally highest two numbers), so the highest level of skill in a stat is d4 because htat gives you a 1/2 chance of success, or 1/4 if you need the highest. Different difficulties for tasks can in turn change the range of numbers you need, easy tasks need top three, normal tasks require 2, hard tasks 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 respectively.

Over-under dicepools are where, like some other dice pools where you count successes as any result above a value, but you also subtract from your successes any dice below a certain number (this is how FATE rolls btw)

3d2 i-ching: get 3 heads you get a "hard" result, 3 tails you get a "soft" result, hard results are critical successes if you're intimidating or hitting someone, soft are critical successes if you want to pick someone's pocket or subtly convince someone of something (and obvious each is a failure for the other kind of task), 2 heads or 2 tails gives you the option of picking from one of 2 sets of 3 "adjectives" that you apply to whatever action you were trying to do, which define how well or inappropriate you did that action.

therpgsite.com/showthread.php?21479-Design-Alternatives-Analysis-Archive&s=0ea29e450120d2e7d0d05d1aca4025c2

I love you, Carlos.

How dare you insinuate that the queen is naked under the clothes!

Why not just use the iching hexagrams as conflict resolution? Make changing ones do a different affect.

Dogs in the Vineyard. Characterts choose stats and values and invest a given number of dice into them.

In conflicts, they wager dice against one another, and if whatever the conflict is revolves around one of the stats/values you invested more dice in, you have more dice to bet.

Like this: Bitch be naked under that coat.

Look at the legs, man!

You fill two cups with water but don't show players how full it is.

The PC's player fills their cup with water, and someone playing the opposing NPC fills their cup.

You then reveal your cups. Both the player and the NPC can then add/remove water based on how skilled they are in whatever is being contested...

Then they pour the water in. Whomever fills the glass the fullest wins the contest. If the cup ends up spilling it's a critical fail.

>repeatedly pouring water
>explicitly incorporate "spilling" the water
>in a living room
>with books and character sheets scattered around

gee what could possibly go wrong

Masterbate, measure the volume of the discharge, if it's higher than a target number your character succeeds

Have the cups in bowl. Siphon off the water whenever they critically fail to fill up a 'luck glass' which they can use in addition to skills. aka, if you fuck up you can get better luck later.

Can you give a pracical example on how you'd do this? I feel like I'm missing something.

Flip coins at targets, with higher results based on how close they are, and wildly different interpretations based on face of coin showing, and denomination of coin.

Have a professional oracle interpret the result based on tarot.

Have someone you randomly pulled off the street interpret your taro

The colored dice is a pretty good, you have a dice with 3 primary colors and 3 secondary colors, each player call color's name before rolling, if you get the color right +1 point, if the color is a composite of the color you called then +0.5, whoever gets to 3 points first wins.

Use an old, large bowl. Drill a hole in the bottom and put a valve on it. use water-resistant clay to build platforms inside the bowl for the cups to rest on.

The jenga from Dread rpg

How would you incorporate skills into this?

Homemade trading cards in extreme situations. Make a system that could be resolved by pulling out one or two cards at the most, with a quick battle system. Think War but with more original flavor for the setting. Maybe have a small deck limit (10 or less) and have them be single use per session.
Have the players be able to buy your shit homemade booster packs with in-game currency. Give ‘em out as loot. Have ‘em be made by a silly mage and acknowledged by the NPCs and shit. Go full retard and make a campaign around the cards and watch how many YuGiOh jokes your session ends up with.

You apply a handicap based on skill difference, the first one to choose a color has the edge or course and you can limit the choices, reroll a win, boost the starting points...

necropraxis.com/2012/11/29/2d6-fantasy-game/

Reminds me of a 4 page system I made called Coin-Cup-Caveman

You flip a coin with your thumb into a cup.
The cup must be above the hand you're flipping with.
You are allowed to to move the cup, but once it lands flat inside it or on the ground you can't.

Inside the cup and heads: +2
Inside the cup and heads: +1
Outside of the cup: +0
Outside of the cup and in something that it really shouldn't be in: -1

this is unfair to female players

Actual wrestling. Game would have to be centered around interplayer conflict though.

Can't believe I'm the first to mention Lasers And Feelings.

You have 1 stat from 2 to 5. Low means you're better at Laser stuff, high means you're better at Feelings stuff.

Roll 1-3 d6, under or over (depending on whether it's a Lasers or Feelings test). More successes is better, 0 successes means you failed.

If you roll your exact stat, you get a LASER FEELING that lets you ask the GM a question from a list, and then you reroll.

Couldn't you just use plastic beads instead of water? Much less mess.

Also, you could a fancy balance scale to measure the result.

but females have higher pain tolerance, meaning they could focus on speed rather than accuracy, risking more pain for a faster grab.

Just imagine the floor after the game.

No, they don't.

Ah, yes.