Food Around the Table

1. What is your opinion on food/snacks/drinks around the gaming table?
2. Assuming you don't outright forbid them, what kind do you prefer?
3. What rules/guidelines/practices do you keep regarding food around the gaming table? Is it okay to eat at any time? Does everyone share in the costs? Is it acceptable to get drunk? etc.
4. What's the most effort you've ever seen someone (in real life) put into gaming food?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Unexpected-Cookbook-Unofficial-Hobbit-Cookery/dp/0990818802
lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/other/recipes.html
huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/hobbit-recipes_n_2301295.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Pizza and Milk
That looks like a horrible combination.

That being said, snacks are great dude. I cook for my players all the time, and when I can't I at the very least leave some food.

Generally people will drop a couple of bucks for materials/if we nabbed pizza or something.

Play 3-4 hours, take a break and order a pizza then eat. Then play for 3-4 more hours.

Besides that break there are chips and drinks whenever you want them.

>playing for 8 hours
Do people not have jobs? What's it with Veeky Forums describing night long sessions? I can barely put together everyone for 4 hours every two weeks, and that's on Fridays.

Snacks are great. Back when my group was all in the same place a few of us used to get together a couple hours before we'd start the game and bake cookies and shit for everyone. Usually we'd hold off on actual food, but on some more memorable occasions we'd spring for pizza or something.

As for most effort, there was one time we made this fucking crazy blackberry and blueberry scone cake and brought clotted cream for it. It was great.

I mean, it depends on what your group's schedules are like. If its the weekend and no one's busy, long ass sessions are totally doable.

Emily Helen Barry

fuck m8, you just reminded me of The Hobbit, and bilbo's seed cakes. I wonder if there's a cookbook for tolkien out there

>4. What's the most effort you've ever seen someone (in real life) put into gaming food?
To finish a 6 year campaign, the GM ordered a specially made wine bottle with colored glass representations of events from the campaign, from which everyone toasted.

The rules at my table are that only CAPPED bottles of soda are allowed on it, and if you drink from the bottle the cap needs to go right back on it between each sip.

I know it sounds dickish but all the maps, minis, books, and dice go on the table.

Now with that said, I have these folding dinner trays that can stand up nearby the table you can set your uncapped drinks and glasses on. And I don't care as much if you spill them because I have a Shop Vac that sucks liquid right out of the carpet.

But there's no milk in tha-

Oh.

That's probably mostly just fat, desu.

I hope so. I have the one for Pern (those fuckin blueberry cake things are so good oh my god) that's part of the Dragonrider's Guide to Pern, but a Tolkien cookbook would be amazing.

Hell, if it doesn't exist, we should make it.

Eat before or after the game fatass. Why do spergs demand SNAXS when you’re there for a game, no one wants to see you stuff your greasy face

I still would

amazon.com/Unexpected-Cookbook-Unofficial-Hobbit-Cookery/dp/0990818802
lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/other/recipes.html
huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/hobbit-recipes_n_2301295.html

>food at the gaming table

Don't you fucking dare. Eat between games. Eat while watching others play. Take a break to have an actual meal if you're having a steady session. Don't touch people's shit with greasy hands/get crumbs on the table. Shit I know we're not all fa/tg/guy neckbeard stereotypes but it's just gross.

>what yo niggas eat

Order a pizza and some shit if it's a long session with mates. Depends who is hosting it or if it's at a place. Otherwise people just have a few drinks or whatever while watching/chatting or between games.

>rules and regulations about eating/drinking

Don't put it on the table. Don't eat it while you're playing. Drinks are fine but be sensible with it. If food is ordered, chip in or pay your own way if you want something specific. Just common courtesy. If you're having snacks at someone's house, bring some snacks of your own to throw into the pile. Alcohol is banned at my current group because some people have been too drunk and knocked shit over but I routinely drink while playing with mates.

>how much effort does anyone do

Beyond ordering some pizza or bringing along some snacks, I've never seen anyone go nuts. Had a few people bring along cakes or shit that they or their wives baked to share. Nice people. I'm far too lazy and bad at cooking or I'd do it myself sometimes.

It's sad the kind of life some people must live that requires them to makes rules like this

>1. What is your opinion on food/snacks/drinks around the gaming table?
I don't give a fuck
>2. Assuming you don't outright forbid them, what kind do you prefer?
Cereal bars
>3. What rules/guidelines/practices do you keep regarding food around the gaming table? Is it okay to eat at any time? Does everyone share in the costs?Is it acceptable to get drunk? etc.
Eat anytime you want, each man brings its own food. Nobody likes drunktards, so no, it's not acceptable.

Veggie tray. Most underrated gaming snack ever. Healthy. Doesn't leave you feeling like shit. Doesn't get all over your fingers and then all over your gaming accessories.
Veggie tray, user. It's a staple of my dnd nights now.

-Eat before coming over, or we schedule to have a meal together before game time.
-Everybody washes hands before playing.
-No food or drink on the table.

1. gentleman gamers enjoy light fare whilst flexing their massive intellects around the table, it is proper and to be expected
2. choicest cheese and crackers, vegetables, dips, sausages, chocolates and hard candies
3. no such guidelines as I only game with fellow patricians who already have a sense of etiquette and propriety, these rules you mention are only for the unwashed slobbering masses
4. themed homebrew beer

Ritz, kraft, pepperoni, leftover Halloween candy? You made it sound nice though.

stay mad, plebbit

1. Go for it, everyone has their own books and dice. Also you're a grown ass adult, you can avoid spilling shit. If you end up ruining someone else's property, pay to replace it.
2. Preferrably something that doesn't require you to wipe your hands off before every roll. Also nothing obnoxious like ramen or spaghetti if you're going to slurp it.
3. Eat whenever you want as long as your character isn't talking in the scene. Share in costs if you want some guaranteed, otherwise ask politely. Don't get drunk. You can drink if you want, but don't get tipsy; you can roleplay a drinking character just fine without drinking yourself, and you'll be better equipped mentally for paying attention.
4. GM made us salted pork and mushroom soup for a Viking campaign. It was delicious, but most of us are terrible cooks so we don't do it often.

My weekly irl group we eat a nice big dinner first, often with dessert the. Drinks only once books come out. You spill on anything and ruin it you owe that player a new book. Theme the rules. We have cup holders attached to the table which puts the top of the cup level with top of table.

Anything bigger than doritos, and I'm going to fall asleep at the table. I have a tiny, tiny, weak, weak stomach. Pizza will put me down for the rest of the day. Last time I had a McDonald's meal I was literally bedridden.

For drinks, the most we'll have is light beers.

>Last time I had a McDonald's meal I was literally bedridden.
It probably wasn't the size of the burger

Your situation sounds kinda hilarious.

I personally allow it, but generally keep it to packaged dry food with few crumbs and as little fat as possible.

>GM is a hobbyist carpenter
>Made a custom gaming table with pull-out eating trays and drink holders
>His family are all traditional
>Sisters live with him
>Every game night they make a feast
>tfw qt ginger girls serve delicious, carefully made stew with a wooden tankard of mead or beer in an room with custom temperature control and lighting

One game night was the day after their family's harvest festival. That was honestly the best meal I've ever had in my life. I had no idea fresh beef was so fucking good.

>Fridays
My group mostly has jobs and we play on saturdays. We can do 6-8 hour sessions if we try.

It has been harder after we all graduated. We used to have long sessions almost every week.

Unsung hero.

Unfortunately she has no nudes.

>I had no idea fresh beef was so fucking good
People don't know the glory of fresh, high-quality cow meat.

When I was in uni my group would play 3 or 4 nights a week in 4 hour sessions.
Once we graduated none of us had time for that, so we'd make a point to get in a Saturday or Sunday of all day gaming with whoever was hosting making dinner and everyone else bringing snacks.

Now that everyone has steady jobs and consistent schedules it's easier to go back to two 4 hour sessions each week for our regular games, and save the weekend bashes for things we'd normally not play, or one-shots and the like.

It's really all about time management and schedule coordination.

You seem annoying&prudish/10
Would not game with

My group is all in university/college/co-op programs so we almost always have saturdays off. Even during the summer, we always have at least one weekend day off that we can play so running a 2pm-11pm session isn't difficult

I'm dating one of his cousins so I get invited to them. I don't know how I can ever go back to store-bought steaks.

slop like this is imbibed by plebs like you who need house rules to keep your table clean

It's the same thing with seafood. By and large people who say they don't like seafood because of the fishy taste have never had fresh seafood. Fresh crab, clams, halibut, and salmon right out of the water and either into a pot or onto the grill is a transcendent experience. The taste of the ocean and the animal are beyond compare.

Your mom is annoying, but at least she sucks very well

My dad had a piece of fish in Nova Scotia in 1998 that he still talks about.

Bunch of pitas, hummus, bag of waffles, some chocolate, beer for everyone. Guess where we're from

Nova Scotia, Canada

Karumba, Gulf of Carpentaria, Australia, second house on the right entering the town through the Eastern road.

Those fucking tits

I know, right? In the early morning their chirping makes it fucking hard to sleep

Group gets together before game session is meant to start. Chat and catch up with each other. Share a meal provided by me or the wife, and sometimes one of the guys will tag in and bring pizza or something.

Then we game.

We also sometimes have snacks or deserts for later in the session if the meal was light (but usually everyone stays full from dinner).

I don't care much about when people are eating, or if they share in the costs, or if they get drunk - so long as the session was still fun, and they aren't an asshole about it, which luckily none of my group members at current are.

As for effort... putting together a home-cooked meal is about all. It't not like we've gone into making some kind of special recipe to be gamer-specific or some shit.

I have no problem with it. My players are reasonable and they don’t stuff chips in their mouths while talking and spilling drinks.

If possible stuff that is in relation to the game (Japanese food and sake for L5R, cold cuts and dark bread for medieval games...).

>3. What rules/guidelines/practices do you keep regarding food around the gaming table? Is it okay to eat at any time? Does everyone share in the costs? Is it acceptable to get drunk? etc.
Everyone is responsible for its own food and drinks. We’re all adults with a classic education. Savoir-vivre is applied by everyone. Alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana are tolerated - smoking rules depend on who’s hosting (usually it’s outside).
>4. What's the most effort you've ever seen someone (in real life) put into gaming food?
We don’t put much effort in it. We normally have a main meal together, at the middle of the session. The meal is either something simple we cook (pasta, ravioli, frozen lasagna...) or we eat outside.

>If possible stuff that is in relation to the game (Japanese food and sake for L5R, cold cuts and dark bread for medieval games...).
B-Brucatto?

Yes and...?.jpg

She is perfection.

Emily Helen Barry
She's fatter than she looks in that picture but it mostly went to her tits and ass

>tfw qt ginger girls serve delicious, carefully made stew with a wooden tankard of mead or beer in an room with custom temperature control and lighting
Sounds like you were playing in a fucking tavern. How immersive.

Pops was a Newfoundland lobster fisherman. I've spent my whole life looking for lobster half as good.

Worthless cuck. You probably have a couple kids or other "responsibilities" around the house. Get fucked. I am so sick of running games for "family men" like you. My dad had a full time job 100k per year at least, and he always has time for D&D. You fuckers can't even get an evening off because you're too busy filling in for shekelstein or "keeping an eye on the little guy" while your wife is out clubbing with Tyrone and Jamal. My friend is like that, had 2 kids and had to quit our campaign, then begged me to run shit for him on roll20 so he could play, cause his wife banned him from leaving the house to game on Sundays cause she needed him to watch the kids. Now I begrudgingly run the game for him, but I'm planning to kill his group off as soon as possible because I'm sick of it and sick of hearing his kids in the background. If you're not willing to be dedicated to the hobby, then quit and go back to playing Diablo or some shit. RPGs are not for you if youre not willing to make them at least somewhat of a priority.

>marijuana
I hope you get shot by your dealer. All weed smokers deserve to be sucked into a lathe.

Whoever pissed in your cereal?

Why in the six fucks have you not married into that?

Take a vacation in Alaska if you can. Its one of the last really wild places where the cities feel more like outposts in the wilderness than actual cities. Also? Between the fresh seafood and the scenery, don't be surprised if you get the urge to move.

probably that guy's kids.

Signs of type 2 diabetes: The Post

I host, so I provide snacks and take the opportunity to cook when the mood strikes.

They have to bring any alcohol they plan on drinking, because I dont drink any myself and my supply of wine and whiskey are for cooking and special occasions only.

I supply dry snacks, like trail mix, for the table which provide minimal residue to contaminate game materials. Other snacks, like hummus, stays it the kitchen. But its an open kitchen, so that doesnt mean you cant still be engaged in the game.

The fanciest meal I have provided a game night is probably sausage and pears cooked in oil and balsamic, served with sauted zuccinni and a mushroom risotto.

What pizza?

Pasta's a bit stale.

Anyways, should I ever tabletop, I'd prolly stick to 'clean' snacks (as in, nothing with cheese dust. Seriously.

I don't care what we're playing, I wanna play at this anons house.

>eats
>plays game for 14 hours
How am I supposed to not eat for that long?

I've only seen that kind of reply in redddit. Fuck off cuck.

It's not pasta you retard. You've never had a guy quit your group cause of his shitspawn? You must n young.

I think that if you start at anywhere around when people eat dinner, food is a must.

Typically pizza is a good efficient food no one will object to and if you toss in some chips too, you have everything you need. Just keep it out so people can eat when they need to. Also, drugs and booze are up to the discretion of whoever owns the place.

Why do baiting idiots speak in absolutes?
because they're baiting idiots

>implying you game

No you fucking don't, don't lie.

>shot
>marijuana dealer
not how it works edgelord faggot

:(

Something that doesn't crumble, isn't too sweet and isn't sticky or oily.

Why do you have whiskey if you dont drink?

Its probably bourbon. Several uses, but most prominently barbeque.

>if you drink from the bottle the cap needs to go right back on it between each sip.

Do... do people not do this?

Am I the only one who does this by default? I'M WORRIED IT'LL GO FLAT OK!?

I run games Wednesday nights from 6 to 9 and on Saturday from noon to 8. I also play on Friday night from 7 to 1 in the morning. Games are 5e, pathfinder, and 3.5 respectively. I also sometimes play savage worlds. Any questions, bitch boy?

>That's probably mostly just fat, desu.
What is milk for 200

Nah, it’s pretty common for me. Since I’m a clumsy bastard who would spill it if I didn’t.

Whiskey and Scotch, actually. Because while I might not drink I like to provide for guests that do. Just not too often, mind you, because good scotch doesnt come cheap.

Go for it. If you spill shit on your book or sheet its your own fault

That is unfathomably gay.

t. faggot killjoy

Nigga that's what tit mostly is.

I like 'em
Whoever is hosting cooks something, usually me.
Never had a problem with people getting drunk. Don't be a slob and make a mess.
Me, again. I usually make my team some kind of dinner. They particularly like my beef'n'brocolli fried noodles. Mostly because I make it with ingredients they are too stubborn and cowardly to use in their own cooking.

Less fat than breasts, I reckon. Those things are literally mostly just blobs of solid fat.

People who have their shit together have more free time, if not as much free time as NEETs or casual students do. Getting together for 8 hours, maybe starting at around noon or so and going on into the night with a break, definitely isn't out of the question.

>google search image because MUH
>"donald trump 1080 x 1080"
>first two results are /pol/
?????

Hope you cut yourself on that edge and then get over whatever personal troubles compel you to lash out to strangers on an anonymous imageboard for something that doesn't affect you.

People who have their shit together will not only have just as much free time as NEETs, but will actually ENJOY said free time compared to the NEET.

She used to be (or maybe still is?) one of the "/pol/ darlings" due to her alleged political opinions. Like whatshername used to be until they found out she was Jewish.

When I was still with my last group the woman who's house we played at and was one of the two GM's made a full on meal for all of us every night, we all brought the beer. Shit was radical.

Assuming it wasn't that and we had to do something more conventional? I guess everyone would bring snacks and we'd share the cost of a pizza or two, or maybe someone would actually make food, I personally wouldn't be against it. I'd ask that people didn't bring greasy finger food or shit that leaves stuff on your fingers like Doritos or Cheetos but that's it.

As for booze? I've been on all sides of that. Played with sober folks who were fun and who sucked and I've played with drunk people who were fun and who sucked. Personally I don't mind a beer or two at the table, or weed if it's that persons flavor, but too much is always a bad thing.

For my birthday she made a full on ham and a ton of bacon, she'd asked what I wanted and I said didn't matter, just add some bacon. She asked me what kind of cake I liked and I told her I was more of a pie guy, she asked what kind and I told her apple. She made one regular and one apple pie wrapped in bacon.

It was the most delicious thing I've ever had.

Just read the thread, user, the name has been given twice

I usually am the one bringing as am a guest at a persons home.

General rule: BYOB and pot luck. If we're ordering food, you have to chip in to get a vote (though we value each other's opinions and interests enough to anticipate and accommodate anyway)
None of us are particularly messy, and usually the food we eat isn't exactly the greasy eat-it-with-your-fingers type, so contaminating supplies has never been an issue.
For booze, one of our common players/hosts is the type who believes a house without a well stocked liquor cabinet isn't worth living in, so he'll mix and share drinks usually towards the end of a game.

I've never actually made food (beyond baking the occasional pre-bought pizza, pie, or roll of cookie dough) for one of my groups, but it's something I've always fantasized about doing. When I started my current wild west game, I wanted to do up beans and corn bread, honey mequite, tex mex, all that stuff, to represent the areas the players would be going through and the cuisine they'd be encountering, but I'm poor and not a very good cook and the game barely ever runs anyways.

Do you even know what a Stallone Cut is, little dog? It's a pile of ugly meat, veins of tangy mayo, and drawn tightly over it all is a thin skin of sweaty pinkish cheese. That's what the profs eat, little dog.

Love them. Just make sure you don't stain your character sheets.

Pizza, wings, bread sticks, burgers. Fast food in general kicks ass for this sort of stuff.

>3. What rules/guidelines/practices do you keep regarding food around the gaming table? Is it okay to eat at any time? Does everyone share in the costs? Is it acceptable to get drunk? etc.
Since I usually DM, I wouldn't mind my players drinking, but they're all huge pussies about drinking and I fucking hate drinking alone, so we play sober. Other than that, everyone usually pitches in by bringing food to share or at least money to order it.

One time, I had to stop by three different places to see if I could get food prior to the session. I ended up getting a 40 pack of nuggets, 4 large fries and sodas at a mcdonalds.

>tfw fattasses can't make it through a game session without stuffing their faces
Maybe show some restraint, you disgusting blobs of fuck?

But how else am I supposed to get energy to lift after my sessions?

>pern cookbook
Holy shit I didn't know this was a thing