Fedora tippers in fantasy games

>tell everyone on my team that before we leave town that I have to visit the town shrine for good fortune
>team like the idea and come with me
>one of the players doesn't want a blessing but is happy to watch
>we leave town and during our quest one of our party members almost die and is left with 1 hp
>manages to overcome the enemy alone and limps away
>me and him are accrediting it to the blessing we received
>DM is upset for some reason
it wasn't because of the blessing, its just how much damage you took
>I say that he took that much damage because of the blessing
>we both start laughing
>DM and other guy are stonefaced
>DM assures us that the blessings don't actually do anything
>despite this I still visit the shrine and make sure to tell everyone that I'm attending the daily service
>friend that got knocked down to 1hp was a half orc anyway.
>mfw my DM roles his eyes anytime I try to solve a mystery by going to the shrine and praying for answers.

I like this story. Can this be a storythread now

It either never happened or you're a retard

>mfw my DM roles* his eyes anytime I try to solve a mystery by going to the shrine and praying for answers
*Rolls

Also sounds like a case of "Le that's what my character would do XD" if you're seriously praying at a shrine, and slowing the game down, every time there's an obstacle.

who's wasting time
it usually goes like this

>wizard
I'm going to the bar to gather information
>beserker
I'm going to visit the mayor
>me
I go to the shrine to pray for answers
>the first scenes play out
>mine gets skipped

if the DM was smart he'd put me on the spot by making me roleplay it.
and besides doing whats convenient and not whats in character is fine and all but it takes away the flavour for me.

>nu Veeky Forums has even bad bait

>play a Highlander game with Hunter rules
>one guy makes a dude that doesn't care about fighting in holy ground
>"God doesn't exist guys, gah!"
>Attacks former samurai inside a temple
>lightning strikes near him
>keeps attacking
>lightning strikes him directly and knocks him out
>goes sulky for the rest of the session
>never shows up again

I love it when the trash take themselves out.

Wow, your DM sounds like a fucking faggot. But yeah, either way, is right. If you're taking more than twenty or thirty seconds to describe how your character visits the nearest shrine, or even just a single sentence as a reminder if you're literally doing it all the time, multiple times per session, then you're pretty much just wasting everyone's time, which the GM has every right to be sour about. Not the blessing thing, 'though. He's still a faggot for thinking that's lame or stupid.

Okay, well, your GM is an even bigger faggot / asshole if you're actually playing out the scenes. Is he some edgelord atheist or something?

no idea, I play in a club so I have different players and DMs.

it's not like I get down on my knees and pray as my teammate is drowning.
it's more my character cowers after throwing everything I had to no effect at a wizard I just witnessed casting investiture of stone when I'm level 1.

that was probably something that pissed my DM off more than anything.

To be fair, your DM is right. He may have been trying to kill you and it just so happens that he was 1 point of damage shy. In actuality, the shrine did nothing.

However, in the context of the game, your character got away from the encounter by the skin of his teeth. Unless he gets a 'sign' that it truly was the shrine of good fortune, he doesn't know and depending on how superstitious your character is, he'll probably believe that the shrine actually did something. This is especially true if there is holy magic or other Gods present in this setting.

If your DM was good he'd use this as a potential plot hook or give you and inspiration point or some shit. Either that or make it dead clear that the shrine does nothing. ie You go to the shrine and see some shady panhandler taking the donations. You confront him and find out the shrine is a bullshit front for him to steal money. OR shrine gets destroyed because shop owner prayed to it and his prayers were unanswered.

I think it's within reason that it's something his character would do. It may bog down the game but the DM should address it with something instead of just rolling his eyes.

I agree your dm(s) sounds like a faggot. I'd totally take advantage of your shrine fetish and use you like a puppet.

>In actuality, the shrine did nothing.
You don't know that

...if we're getting meta and saying that he's praying to the Shrine of RNG then I guess you could be right....

Not sure why your DM got so bothered by the initial attribution. Players make up joke-y superstitions all the time, particularly after a close call. That's just what happens when your doing something with a lot of random chance involved. That said, I can sort of see why he'd be bothered by consistently visiting the shrine though. It might come off as some sort of antagonism or time wasting on your part.

coming here and seeing that people hate when players play on their characters flaws really is eye-opening, I'm not going to imply these people are try hards that only play to boost their ego but that is a possible explanation, rather what I think is that these people don't actually ENJOY roleplaying. if you want to just the speaking, exploring your characters and socializing part so you can finally uncover the mystery, get to the next battle or so you can find exp by other means, then all I can do is suggest that you maybe play a video game. very little downtime in those and talking is optional.

Is the lightning in the temple also from the planet Zeist?

do not

If he's doing it all the time, then yeah it's kinda dumb.

But with the context OP provided in , he's not doing anything the rest of the party isn't doing, just in his own way. Assuming this is using regular D&D rules, there are clearly gods and shit (I assume divine magic exists just as much as it does anywhere else in D&D). Hell, from a rules standpoint he's doing even less cause I doubt he has to roll for anything there.

OP's DM is just a salty edgelord.

>Decide to run a one-shot session and literally cook up an adventure that day
>During this time the players all make characters and we're ready to go with a few hours left in the night to actually play
>Everyone is roleplaying and having a good time in the starting town
>Set up a spooky mystery in the spooky forest
>I roll for a random encounter during their trek to the dungeon
>A bunch of wolves jump out of the bushes and murder everyone instantly
>I wasn't even using the rules properly so the players were at a disadvantage the entire time
>The session ends and its too late to do anything else
>tfw I wasted everyone's time and ruined the whole night
I want to run old school hexcrawl style games, but there are times where that is just not appropriate.

>making me roleplay it
You mean you aren't already?
Disappointed

Yeah. Its pretty weird. I have to agree that these guys dont seem to understand that roleplaying isnt just justifying what you wanted to do anyway, its playing a character.

First rule of being a DM: fudge everything. I know a ton of folks balk at the idea that players shouldnt die at certain times, but its key to a game actually feeling fun and fair. My rule of thumb is that players shouldnt die unless they've done something wrong, or more specifically made a poor choice. In a more open game, that gives you pretty much free reign to kill them in most circumstances, but in a one-shot it means there must be a buildup. A one-shot is by definition a contrivance: they didnt choose to be there or to start the adventure, you made that choice, and so they should be given a bit of charity until they start making choices of their own.

The DM controls who the lens of the narrative focuses on.

>it wasn't because of the blessing
But the characters don't know that. I don't understand the complaint at all.

If you have to fudge everything you were already dming it wrong. Also the players will quickly pick up that nothing bad ever happens to them. Games without consequence are stupid, better to tpk than never kill a player character.

Said no GM ever.

> old gods fading away
> get together and create d&d in one last hurrah using gygax as their vessel
> players characters worship gods keeps them in memory and existence
> OP is more devout than usual players
> god notices he's even bringing others for the congregation boost
> channels that boost small though it is into affecting the dms roll saving one of the character worshippers
> dm shits all over the idea
> only OP keeps the faith

good on you OP, good on you

Never had a better game than when I accidentally a player in the first session.

Never having real consequences sucks and if you don't realize that you're probably a terrible GM on top of being stupid.

Its not that nothing bad ever happens: its that bad things happening are a result of bad decisions. Its easy enough to correct as well: the instant they think you're fudging, stop until they get screwed.

I can confirm: It was because of the blessing.

alternatively; don't play systems where a run of bad luck result in death

>Literally cook up an adventure that day
Threre's your problem, you're not meant to put your DM notes in the oven.

I'd just let user keep it as a character superstition, and maybe have an NPC antagonist desecrate it at some point to make a neat roleplay arc. I'm not a dick.

both of those are reasonable responses, some people would look at that and find some faith in the shrine, some would not

>roleplaying in a roleplaying game is wasting time

Dndfag spotted

>DM doesn't let you roleplay a pious character in a setting where (I assume) gods actually exist

Wow, what a fucking chump. Just make the gods dead or nonexistent if you don't like gods in the setting, jeez.

>Playing an old-timey sci-fi serial-adventure style game
>having a whale of a time
>Our plane goes down over the bermuda triangle. Result: dinosaur island!
>Tyrannosaurs that stand upright and drag their tails on the ground
>Lumbering monsters everywhere, way larger than any fossil shows
>Giant apes becasue of course!
>Other player gets all sulky and petulant because the dinosaurs are the wrong size and don't have feathers
>Later, mutters about how its not science fiction if you don't use current science.

Some folks just don't get it, I guess. He didn't have a problem with a soviet 'rocket satellite' that housed the Imperial Palace.

You don’t get it, you dense cunt, do you? It was a one-shot. Those players aren’t going to get a chance to make another character and finish their adventure. Normally, I’d agree with you in the format of an overarching campaign, but in a one shot, you can’t just kill all the players before they get to the plot. That’s autistic as fuck.

>one guy makes a dude that doesn't care about fighting in holy ground

That guy is an absolute faggot. NO Immortal in ANY Highlander media violated that rule, EVER. Not even the worst villains. Not even the Kurgan, for Chrissake.

>"But what about Highlander: Endgame? Or Highlander: the Source?"
You can go straight to Hell.

It's very sad that we live in a world where Highlander II is not the worst Highlander movie. For that matter it's sad that we live in a world where Highlander: Endgame isn't the worst Highlander movie.

>It's very sad that we live in a world where Highlander II is not the worst Highlander movie. For that matter it's sad that we live in a world where Highlander: Endgame isn't the worst Highlander movie.

well, there can be only one

>not having your dystheist character come from the region that's just recovered from constant holy wars and gods playing kickball with giant monsters
>not having him blame a priest of the love goddess for his banishment from home as a teenager, since her paraphernalia got him in trouble
>not having him see Clerics as employees being short-changed by their employers
>not having the party wonder what must have happened for him to see even the Good gods as malevolent
>not having the party try to help him get over it, which is hard when he even refuses divine healing rather than let himself 'owe' them anything
>not having him eventually mellow out after journeying through places where the churches aren't glorified bandit gangs
>not having him sacrifice himself to protect a group of unarmed pilgrims, no matter what damnation he might face in death

You shut your filthy whore mouth.

What's truly scary is the anime actually being one of the better movies. Chainsaw riding mutants are somehow not as dumb as everything else.

Had a huge fedora tripper in my party one time. He rolled up with an atheist elf fighter. Didn't believe in gods, the after life, angles, daemons, or even ghost.

The game was a murder mystery where we were hired by a priest, which he made sure to tell him he was wasting his life, to find missing children. Soon turned into a poltergeist game in which he maintained he didn't see any of the fucking ghost or daemons we fought. Didn't believe in magic either but not literally.

We lost a party member, saved some kids, and on the way out of town he said "ya know if y'all stopped believing in that kids shit it'll stop having power over you."

Called him the rage mage because he was always salty and lost his cool.

Sounds like a right cunt. Why didn't talk to him about it outside of the game?

Something along the lines of "Look, we're not trying to preach at you, but can you dial down the bitchiness when it comes to anything supernatural or religious in the game. Your fun is coming at the expense of everyone else, and if that is the only thing you can do to make these sessions fun, do yourself a favor and don't come."

Half these fucking player issues wouldn't come up if the other people at the table would stop being simpering soybois or raging spergs and talk to someone like an adult.

Has anyone observed one of thier regular friends become a hardline fedoraman over a short span of time?

One lad at the FLGS suddenly became something like one day and it turned out he'd had a huge binge of atheist youtubing the night before, but I don't really know the details, it wasn't my group. I'm interested in stories like that, though.

No, you don't get to fucking do that. Just because you namedrop the rebuttals to your argument doesn't invalidate them.

>You don’t get it, you dense cunt, do you? It was a one-shot.
One shots are literally the best situation to kill off players, or even tpk. It can can give everyone a story if it happens in an interesting or unexpected way, and it's a oneshot so there are 0 long term ramifications for player death. They're not connected to the characters so aren't going to get up in a huff.

If anything that's a great opportunity for a gm to learn encounter design. Whoops that killed everyone almost immediately, should probably not do that in a campaign.