>Trove (yes, Xanathar PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Discord
discord.gg/HzAfUGt

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/ How would you make a Belmont'esq character? What class and skills would you opt for?

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/feats.html#acrobat_uafeatsforskills
youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

oh look, it's this question again.

I thought I'd give it one more go. This will be my last time trying it.

you realize this question is asked in every other thread, right? Try using google, dumbass.

I've put together a pdf of character options allowed in my game to share with my players. Races / Backgrounds / Background Features / Feats / Subclasses.

Anyone take a quick look?

This came after a bit of a discussion if I would allow Aasimar in a CoS game (a PC died recently). I initially said no but I'm starting to change my mind now.

Divine Soul Sorcerer is the most fun.

Mountain Dorf Stone Sorcerer.
Enjoy your Fighter HP/level.

Take Tough at 4 for Barbarian HP/level.

Is there a list of 5E feats?

Why does each cell take up so much space? Makes it a pain to skim through.

astranauta.github.io/feats.html#acrobat_uafeatsforskills

The only official feats are the ones in the PHB and Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
There are also the skill and weapon feat Unearthed Arcanas, and the race feat UA that was polished into the feats in XGtE (I don't recall exactly what the differences are between the test race feats and the final ones).

i like it spacey but I'll make them perfect fit and post again if you want

The file I posted at has all the official feats.

Would be a quicker read if you just put what you aren't going to allow

I lile the idea of a monster slayer ranger multiclassed with some sort of cleric, favored enemies undead and fiends.

What's the most busted spell a Lore Master can give a 1 Mile Radius to?

mainly kenku bugbear goblin lizardfolk and such for races. I don't recall right now if I disallowed any else.

The rest is just a compilation to see everything in a single file, to ease and quicken some stuff.

Redpill me on Tieflings and Dragonborn, /5eg/.

Why are they some of the most hated player races on this board? Is it because of their stats? If a campaign were to feature these races, is it doomed? Do you like them and for what reason?

Lore Master increases range, not area of effect

Mainly because they're popular with normies and 4chins is reactionary as hell.

I hate Tieflings because their official horns are dumb.

Neither race isn’t particularly good at anything, and they’re also races that ordinarily would be something that would be in a supplement of exotic races, not in the core rulebook. That goes a long way to explaining it.

Also they don’t get any interesting and useful features to justify their odd stat combos. Dragonborn get a weak breath attack and darkvision and a resistance, and tieflings get fire resist and a few spells. Hellish Rebuke is useful but not very interesting.

Also, Tieflings attract edgelord players.

Dragonborn dont have darkvision

Right; tieflings do and dborn don’t. Forgot that

>Why are they some of the most hated player races on this board?
Autism, and they are different from the 5 shades of pink races the grogs grew up with

>Is it because of their stats?
No

>If a campaign were to feature these races, is it doomed?
Only if the player are spurgs

>Do you like them and for what reason?
I've no strong feelings either way.
I do prefer classic tiefling though, back when their looks were a roulette and most of them ended with 00
But like said, neither of them don't belong *anywhere* near vanilla.

Dragonborn I don't mind, no one I have played with has wanted to be one so would actually like to see one turn up for once. Every Tiefling player has been some form of asshat.

smaller

I like that idea, I'm going to work with something like that. Thanks, user.

Tieflings are only hated in 4e and 5e. Dragonborn are furries.

What is the best monk build?
>hidden palm only for instant kill at L17
>avatar to be a shitty melee wizard
>shadow to be a shitty melee rogue
>sun monk to have a shittier eldric blast
>the weapon one as a shittier fighter

Well, for some people, tieflings have pretty much become the new drow-a race heavily associated with evil that certain people insist on playing for some reason. Dragonborn were pretty controversial when they were introduced in 4e (supplanting half-orcs as the core "brute" race), and them remaining core despite 4e's lore no longer being used strikes some people as odd-plus, a humanoid reptilian race is a bit polarizing for certain parts of the community. Their stats aren't really a big part of it, nor is a campaign bound to fail simply because they show up in it. Personally, I don't really have strong feelings about either race.

Much more pleasant to read.

Long Death to laugh at Disintegrate and rocks falling.
Also bag of rats memes.

>they are different from the 5 shades of pink races the grogs grew up with
Speaking of I find it kind of odd that elves and dwarves are often as, or even more, obviously anglo-saxon than humans in the 'canonized' D&D settings when so many have major subtypes or cultures that are quite consistently darker skinned. It's struck me as a little conspicuous.

Some of the hate is from people just not liking new stuff, some of it is for the general tone or aesthetic they're often paired with, and some of it is because of the way 4e tried to shamelessly shunt them into things.

>make a human variant to get a feat at level 1
>DM says no
What do you do? Literally no reason to play human without your snowflake bonus

Not play a human? Not a very hard question.

Well, Dwarfs are usually homebodies, IF they leave their homes they rarely leave their country, so foreign dwarves are very unlikely, elves would be more common on tours of learning, but well... black, brown or grey; dark elves are evil right? Stone first ask your friend later.

If you're rolling for stats they're consistently strong. If you're doing point buy your final stats come out to 16, 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, which is not shabby at all. If you're doing the standard array you basically have no good reason to play a human.
And regardless I think they should STILL get a choice between one language, tool, or skill proficiency on top of that though. Just getting those stats is boring.

>make a human variant to get a feat at level 1
>DM says yes and everyone also gets 1 feat for freebies
Get a better DM?

About backgrounds, how would any guards know your background?
Aside from Far Traveller to whom sticking out like a sore thumb is a feature.

No opinion on your crunch limitations though.

They way I'm going to be doing it when my current game finishes up: No Variant human, everyone gets a free Racial or Skill feat except for humans who may choose from any feat.

>Is it because of their stats?

For me, yeah.
>Int and Cha
>Str and Cha

Dragonborn are only good for Pallies (Half-elves are way better though) and Tieflings are good for nothing. Neither's racial abilities help at all to overcome these basic problems. Call me a rollplayer if you want, they're still shit.

...the unarmored fighter who uses Dex for everything and gets to cut through magical resistance without any help from the DM.

Anyone tried converting Warlock to Spell Points? Seems like it'd work pretty well, though it'd also be a rather significant buff.

Any advice for a first time dm hoping to have planar travel in my campaign?

>long death doesnt have Quivering Palm
how did wizard of the coast fuck this up that bad?

Monster Slayer ranger or Ancestral Guardian barb for my next character

Help me /5eg/ I can’t decide

>Level 4
>The big boss fight
>Hone those soul knives to +4 weapons
>Cloak of Air
There's NOTHING more delicious than a crit on something like that with a 10+ bonus to-hit while also forcing the enemy to kill themselves. Fuck. Soul-Knives do one thing, but they do it extremely satisfactorily.

It can be done well, but they tend to attract edgelords.

Ancestral Guardian.

If it comes up or if it's revealed. That part is just an explanation of possibilities. Guards don't have time to stop and question every single person coming thru the gates. You're completely free to lie or make whatever bullshit up if someone asks, and that's *if* they ask.

But if you're drow and there has been rumors of a drow spy from enemy kingdom, they'll get you.

Eh it gets a shittier version of it at least.
But honestly you should be saving every single Ki once you hit 11 so you can face tank for the party, making yourself as obnoxious to the enemy as possible so they aim for you instead of everyone else.

> When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can expend 1 ki point (no action required) to have 1 hit point instead.
is...is mastery of death as fun as I think it is? I rather be open palm or sun bro but this sounds honky

Because Ancestral Guardian is just that good or Monster Slayer is just that bad?

You can say "lol nah" to basically anything in the game except maybe Power Word- Kill, which the wording seems to suggest would bypass it.

Bretty good, removes stupd shit like yuan-ti

I'm also not keen on bladesingers, moon druids, forge clerics (Because AC/wildshape tanking memes) and non-core monks but those are more personal hates and aren't really big problems.

Take it from someone who played a monk to level 12 - Saving all of your ki to face tank at 1 hp is not desirable. You want to be using your ki on stuff like stunning strike, not saving it for defensive purposes. Besides, even if you do save your ki you’re not immortal. A disintegrate spell, for example, will kill you instantaneously if you’re that low.

>If this damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, it is disintegrated.
>When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can expend 1 ki point (no action required) to have 1 hit point instead.
nah.

PWK on the other hand flat-out kills something with less than 100 hp.

Granted if you're discussing level 17 Monks it's better to end combat in one attack then it is to draw it out for ages with the enemy potentially ignoring you anyways.

>tiefling warlock
>dragonborn paladin
Pick something that's not these and you're fine

thanks for the feedback!

What do you not like about: Bladesingers? Moon druids? Force clerics more specifically? and extra monks?

I haven't seen them in actual play so can't really pinpoint.

How might one make a viable Halfling Fighter or any Martial?

Hard Mode: Without too much reliance on Ranged attacks.

What is the ultimate “tank” build in 5e?

And keep in mind I don’t just mean that in terms of the amount of damage you can take but also the ability to redirect attacks from allies to yourself.

A villainous NPC in my setting was stupid/brave enough to try and combine barbarian rage and bladesinging into a single martial art that allows them to have the best of both worlds with none of the drawbacks. Of course, this should spectacularly explode in their face. Should they face a heavy cost at the end of the minute of glory, like one or more levels of exhaustion/reduced HP, or face increasingly more difficult DCs trying to maintain this super form of sorts?

Dex based.

>Bladesingers
It's just wizards with more AC
>Forge clerics
It's just clerics with more AC
>Moon druids
They're just druids who self-polymorph themselves constantly to give themselves HP buffers all the time which is annoying.
>Extra monks
They're all just shitty versions of open hand monk / kensai is just monk with more damage and that's literally it

>the ability to redirect attacks from allies to yourself.
Crown Paladin

If you're being utterly selfish, I might suggest something like Dex bearbarbarogue. EK is pretty good for AC stacking but I'd say dex barbarogue is better considering damage resistance.
If you're not being selfish, dex ancestral guardiansbarbarogue with sentinel
If you're purely defending your team, probably a cleric

The good thing about clerics is if they aren't casting spells all the time or have spiritual guardians up they can spend their actions dodging

At high levels, monk might qualify, or wizard using high level bullshit.

I haven't had a chance to play one yet but Cavalier is all about tanking.

Also forgot to mention cavalier
It's pretty okay for it, too

I'd probably suggest cavalier or ancestral guardians barbarian.

>Get +3 modifier to STR or DEX
>Choose between Longsword or Shortsword
>Choose Fighter, GWF fighting style if doing Longsword
>if your DM allows, start off with studded leather armor

bada bing

>When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can...
>When you are
Seems pretty clear to me user. At least for a brief moment in time, you ARE reduced to 0 hp. And since it was the disentegrate spell that reduced you to 0, you die. The decision of whether to go to 1 hp happens after the fact, while the death by disintegrate happens automatically as you are reduced to 0.

Dex barbarogue.
Shield+rapier.
Be the trickiest motherfucker there ever was to hit.

Rapier or dual shortswords, and pump Dex

I'd argue that the 'instead' counts as specific over general with regards to rules.

What type of charachter should I roll if i want my turns in combat to be full of "first I do X, then I do Y, and then I use my Z ability from my race/class/feat/all-of-the-above to do even more bullshit"?

Hard mode: Nothing more than a dip into any other classes.
Dante must die mode: no multiclassing

Kensei can get extra AC with Defensive Parry. Also they can use a whip as a monk weapon. Having reach as a monk is pretty neat.

Yeah but then you'd be using a whip's damage die. You see them problem, I'm sure.

Be some sort of High Elf Rogue. High Elves get to do choose one cantrip they know IIRC.

>gets to do 1d4 as an extra attack for free or buff their AC 2 points
>can make their attacks magical
>can double their proficiency bonus
>CAN REROLL MISSED ATTACKS

>barbarogue
Why is this meme still alive? I’m honestly starting to think it’s just one autistic samefag who’s trying to make it seem like this is an accepted build.

Well
>Monk with more damage but sometimes more AC instead of damage
Reach weapon is pretty much irrelevant because if you want to attack at further than 5ft where you can't punch you can use a ranged weapon instead
I guess you can use it to stun and then run away but you already had enough movement to do that anyway as a monk

You replace the whip damage die with your monk damage die.

>whip's damage die
read black man

Hmm? Monk weapons can use the monk damage die.

The one that stuns the enemies

>Sun monk
Just a monk who hasn't realized you can use ranged weapons
>Kensai
Someone who thought they were signing up for a damage class when they picked monk
>Avatar monk
Someone who thought they were going to be the chosen one but was instead forgotten
>Drunken master
Someone who wanted to be open palm but didn't get good enough monk grades to get in
>Shadow monk
Good stealth utility monk
>Open hand monk
Good combat utility monk

>Accepted build
What does it need to be to be 'accepted' other than 'yes, you can multiclass'?

No it’s a monk weapon so you can use your martial arts die for it (up to a d10). Obviously the whip wouldn’t be the first kensei weapon you take. That would probably be a versatile d8 weapon like a long sword. But for a second or third choice of kensei weapon, a whip isn’t a bad choice.

youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI

I am actually a Str Barbarogue, for grappling, rage damage, and reckless attack. I don't get how Dex Barbarogue is all that useful, you give up too many Barbarian powers.

Using a melee weapon over a ranged weapon has its perks. For monks in particular, it gives the ability to use stunning strike.

I think if you are going pure damage for barbarian, PAM might be the best. It is like an early multiattack.

Combine with Tunnel Fighter fighting style, Polearm Master, and Sentinel to physically stop enemies from moving closer to you, and potentially save your Reactions for Divine Allegiance.

>time for a one man pike square

Dex barbarian is solely for high AC.

Normally, a barbarian doesn't tend to reach AC above medium armour + 2, for about 17 AC. They're too busy using both their hands. They could use as hield for 19 AC though.
The dex barbarogue gets up to 22 AC as well as upping dexterity and constitution giving them great con+dex saves (the two most common saves), initiative, stealth, HP, etc.
Overall, strength barbarogue is definitely better. Though a dex barbarogue still has great grappling, if they're using a shield it's harder for them to grapple and strength barbarogue is even better at grappling. Doing more damage also gives enemies more reason to attack you, and you're already a tanky fuck before going dex barbarogue for even more tankiness.

Dex barbarogue is a 'how tanky can I be?' gimmick whereas str barbarogue is more well-rounded and thus better, but dex barbarogue has its place.

But whip's reach doesn't extend unarmed strike's reach, which means either you don't make unarmed strikes and dodge (Why are you dodging when you could just move away from the enemy or engage within 5ft because you're dodging?).. Or less often, using the bonus action dash.
The best reason I can think for it is 'I will move within 10ft and try to stun opponent by whipping them. If I stun them, I move within 5ft and punch them, then move away again so the enemy's friends don't hit me.'

>You replace the whip damage die with your monk damage die.
>Kensei weapons count as monk weapons
>Monk weapons can use martial arts die
>A hand crossbow monk can do up to 3d10 + 45 damage instead of 3d6 + 45 from 120 feet away and can take advantage of that range using monk Mobility

This is what a kite looks like.

Also you don't care about reckless attack if you're trying to be as tanky as possible, though it is nice to use sometimes. Dex barbarogue can still use reckless attack as shown in the table I posted to gaurantee sneak attack and usually do more damage, assuming they have.. I think I assumed they had 14 strength in the table?

>No archery fighting style
>Taking CBE+SS on a monk, who needs ASIs to not be squishy

Honestly as a monk you should just use your mobility to run away from the enemy after every turn, especially if you spend a feat on mobile instead (Though you can use open palm and stunning strike or even shadow monk's darkness to get away from the enemy with ease without the mobile feat)

If it said “When you would be reduced to 0 hit points, you can instead be reduced to 1”, I would have absolutely no issue. But it says “When you ARE reduced to 0 hit points”...

So whenever you use long death's feature you fall prone?

It doesn't matter how squishy you are if you're too far away to be hit.

Also consider this: a Monk has 60 feet of movement normally. If you move in for 30 feet, attack, and move out 30 feet, most enemies will still be able to catch up to you because 30 feet of movement is standard. Depending on your party make up you might not have tanky characters that are closer than that who you can hide behind. A ranged weapon removes this weakness because now you don't have to move to make those attacks. I'm not saying Monks shouldn't be getting in close and spamming their stuns, but range kiting shenanigans is the only reason to play a Kensei Monk over other Monks that do close quarters ki spamming better.

I need some help making a decision on elves, /5eg/.

The players I DM for are part of a secret order known as the Severed Hand whose job is to maintain the Severence, something the gods of the plane did to protect it from constant invasion by "good" and "evil" gods as well as the fae, old gods and other people who just wanted to take it over.

They're about to arrive at one of the four continents still loyal to the gods of the plane which is comprised of the three elven kingdoms, the mountain dwelling aarakocra and the firbolg.

There are three subraces of elves. The standard wood elves who live in the forests and are allied with the firbolg. The high elves who live in the plains regions and use golems to maintain peace and a standing army. And finally, the iron elves who live in the mountains alongside the aarakocra.

One of the players died on the journey to the continent and I told him that he could roll up a character who was serving as a local agent of the Hand on the continent. He chose an iron elf.

They're basically mountain Roman elves with automaton auxiliaries. They're also the only race who produce and use firearms. What would be reasonable ASIs for one and what would make them stand out? Right now, I'm considering giving them heavy armor proficiency and tinker's tools proficiency.

Let me present it like this:
>Target is reduced to 0 HP by Disintegrate
>So it is disintegrated
But
>When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you can expend 1 ki point (no action required) to have 1 hit point instead.
So
>Target is reduced to 0 HP by Disintegrate
But
So the target now has 1 HP and is not disintegrated. The 1 HP effect has a faster 'speed' than Disintegrate's after-damage contingency effect. Otherwise, like pointed out, the ability makes no sense.

Good observation.
Why don’t you?