How far stretched is this?

How far stretched is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great#Battle_record
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A TON happens in 1200 years. 1200 years ago British troops wore chain, paneled helmets, and used straight swords. Nowadays they wear kevlar body armor with a camo pattern and lug assault rifles around.

If you can justify the history of their arms and armor development, I'd say it's believable. What kinds of things are you thinking here?

Stretched by about 1200 years by the look of it

If that was enough time to develop such of equipment. Or it is too much time. I am pretty bad with time but want to prevent medieval stasis.

Barring either a magocracy-alike with fantasy methods of mass-producing plate that allows for the body movements of a powerful bow, or an archery-focused nobility a la samurai, i doubt the common footsoldier would be given articulated heavy plate. That shits difficult to make and requires a lot of man-hours

It's all relative. Compare medieval europe to bronze age europe

Does the world have relatively common magic? If so just say that affected Tech advancement so that it was slower as a result.

Shit, even compare early Bronze age to Late Bronze Age. There's an entire apocalypse separating them and it's pretty obvious.

>How far stretched is this?

Pretty far'fetched.

Having such a heavily armored archer is super duper impractical and expensive and even then: if you've got the time, resources, and money to do so you probably already have the infrastructure to develop a better weapon than just a fancy long-bow.

Yeah I'm surprised at how surprised people are that humans, beleive it or not, have always been like they are.

I mean shit, back far back when the first languages were being made from descriptive grunts a man was most likely fucking around with his tribesmen friends. Shitposting in their own way.

Hell, consider medieval Europe just in general. 576 Europe looks nothing like 776 Europe, and it looks nothing like 976 Europe. And we have yet to leave the first half of the medieval age.

Wasn't the cataphract's whole thing they were super heavily armored horsemen and archers?

Pretty sure they were lancers

And in 3000 years egypt barley changed. Advancements in technology have been exceptionaly fast the last few centuries so that should be taken as the baseline.

>tiger pelt
>brass horns
apparently pimping your ride is tradition as old as riding itself

Perfectly plausible, user. Like said, time does not guarantee great progress.

Shit, that's even generous by real historical standards. The guy on the left is clearly bronze age, with the right wearing some heavily stylised 15th century plate atleast. European Bronze age "ended" in roughly 300 BC, so if you want to get "real" about it, those two could easily be 2,000 years apart.

Egypt never really recovered after the Bronze Age Collapse

>tiger pelt
user...

>Then
We've got bronze musculata, open helm, and greaves with sandals, wielding a short sword. Looks reminiscent of ancient Greece, roughly the 4th-5th centuries BC. Basically the century or so before Alexander the Great.

>Now
We've got a chainmail shirt with what looks to be scale or lamellar sections for the shoulders and upper arms, and articulared plate for the legs and gauntlets. Also a rather fancy bow, with lots of metal bits.
Overall it's a bit of an anachronistic mashup, but the articulated plate and the metalwork on the bow suggest a pretty advanced era. Probably about comparable to 14th-15th century AD tech, possibly even later.

So really, 1200 years is a bit on the quick side for that kind of shift, by about 500 years.

shit son, I only know English names for tiger and lion, and this sure ain't lion

Well, you get to learn a new word today then!
That's a leopard pelt.

Leopard.

>whitened face

That's a Jaguar hombres

It has no spots inside its spots, it's a leopard.

So it has white where a leopard can't but no spots where a jaguar ought

Split the difference and call it a panther

I think I'll call him Shmookums.

Well, apparently you guys know the differences between the two, but maybe the person who drew it didn't... or it's whole another species that went extinct since.

user, why do you need to know how to keep Leopards and Jaguars apart by their assholes?

Pretty sure that IS Alexander. The mosaic of the Battle of Issus has Bucephalus with a leopard pelt. Bucephalus was named after his ox-head branding mark and might explain the horns.

I have no idea why OP would expect a comparison of fucking Alexander the Great of some fantasy bullshit archer to be representative of anything. Other than showing OP is retarded in addition to being a faggot.

Ancient Hellenistic archers would probably be running around in linen. The fantasy archer is making me too mad to list how bad everything is.

This.

Jaguars are North and South American. Would be hell expensive in ancient Greece. What with the teleporter and shit

Skyrim modding community can be quite anal

There's evidence that metric fuck-tonnes of copper were mined out of North America in and around 3000BCE but as yet we've barely found 1% of the missing metal.
Sneaky Greeks stole our copper and our pelts.

>Alexander the Great was an Atlantean
Explains how he managed to conquer so damn much so damn fast, I suppose.

>The diseases introduced by the Columbian Exchange caused a catastrophic population contraction in North America's indigenous population,

or

>The vast majority of First Nationers finally decided embark on their grand journey of the stars in the glorious copper spaceship they had been constructing for 4500 years after Whitey showed up.

I want to believe.

They did use bows and yes their niche was being super armoured yet relatively mobile troops. But what was super armoured for byzantines and sasanians isn't the same as what's super armoured for early renaissance europeans. If OPs picture was mainly mail with just some parts of plate it would make a lot of sense.

Mostly agree with this user, though the horseman could go a little later as Boetian helms and breastplates stuck around post-Alexander. Important to note that this is certainly not a "Bronze-age" fighter, bronze continued to be used for helmets and armor well into the Roman period; the helmet style in particular places this guy as Classical/Hellenistic Greece.

The archer doe not look like a very well-thought out design. Floating tassets, unattached scale sleeves over the plate with another layer of mail over the top and a scale mantle that will impede archery. Aesthetially it's a bit over busy and a mashup of various elements all jammed in and not working together but that's just personal taste.

However the basic idea of complete plate limb protection but with mail still being the main torso defence is quite sound, and corresponds to the mid/late 14thC. That's 1700ish years ahead of the guy on the left; noticeably faster than OTL but perhaps within the realms of possibility if conditions were just right the entire period.

Heavily armored archers certainly existed. It's not the most common set-up by any stretch of the imagination but it happened. Even if most bowmen a culture fielded were lighter support troops and skirmishers, you could get a situation smilar to Late-Medieval Europe where heavily armoured "dragoon" archers formed part of the household troops and bodyguards for monarchs.

Armoured archers were used heavily in some areas and periods of mankind's history.

>if you've got the time, resources, and money to do so you probably already have the infrastructure to develop a better weapon than just a fancy long-bow.

Sometimes you don't

Hay man, it takes alot of copper to make your city walls out of Orichalcum.

The main thing I'm thinking about is the climate limitations, assuming the whole nation didn't just decide to move to a significantly colder region the guy on the right is going to overheat like a motherfucker, or it they were already in a cold climate the dude on the left would be freezing his balls off.

Climate change?

The dude on the left invaded the country of this dude on my pic. Him and all his bros were pretty much as covered as OP's dude and presumably didn't overheat.

Kamchatkan and east russian natives look so cool and alien. Makes me think how cool it would be to play a wild east game.

>wild east
I like how that sounds

We'll, the natives did go through an apocalypse, and many tribes did already know how to hammer weapons out of copper by the time the Europeans arrived.

Or you can take the easy answer and say it was all lost when the stuff in the Book of Mormon happened. But sadly that might not work since we don't live in the Steel Ball Run universe

The armor in your image looks a hell of a lot less insulated than OPs

Jaguars do not and have never lived on the Mediterranean

What's with the guy taking his flying dragon fish out for walk?

It whispers ancient wisdom to him, like "that dude's got a sword!" and "wheeee!"

It's a bit odd that the torso has chain while there's clearly armour skills around for plate for limbs, seeing as a breastplate is the oldest and most enduring plate armour used, but yeah, it's mostly fairly sensible

Not too bad. Id probably include some more detailed artifice, maybe a crossbow. What armor and weapons are prevalent depends entirely on the tactics of the day. However, without the advent of gunpowder everybody would probably still have a shield. Thats all Id probably change. Also those arrows are both too long and too thin, and that bow makes no sense.

Bullshit.

English and Burgundian household archers would sometimes wear full plate. Same with the Scottish guards of France.

Full plate appeared in the late 14th century, long bows were used until the late 16th.

Why write if you don't what you are talking about?

That guy is NOT Bronze Age, definitely not 5th century either. it's 4th century by at the earliest, but could even be 2nd bc.

It's a Hellenistic heavy cavalry man with an iron xiphos and boetian helmet. Heavy cavalry wasn't really a thing in Greece before Philip, with a few exceptions.

The widespread us of Boeotia helmets for cavalry is connected to Alexander and the Diadokhoi and these helmets only become common in the 4th century bc.

Persian leopards sometimes have Jaguar like spots in theirs spots. Jaguars are new world only tho (except for Pleistocene jaguars)

>Alexander the Great was an Atlantean
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great#Battle_record

GOAT